“What about my father?” Eve asked slowly as she sat back even further into the hand made couch. “What can you tell me about him?”

“Not much…” Scott’s voice trailed off as he shifted her eyes away from her. How was he supposed to tell her that he hated her father? That he had never taken the time to get to know the other man even before he had tried to come between him and Jean. “We weren’t very close. He… ah... when your mother was still just a student and they were no more than friends… he would hit on my fiancé… repeatedly.”

“Nothing ever happened between them when we were together, though.” Scott cleared his throat as his gaze shifted to Victor, daring him to make any kind of remark. He didn’t really want to go into his own death and resurrection, much less that of the Phoenix. It was probably too much for her. She would find out in her own time. “It wasn’t until a few years later, just before your mother took the cure that it almost escalated into something more.”

“What do you mean by almost? Who was this Jean?” Eve asked, eyeing both men carefully.

“She was a very powerful telepath and telekinetic. It was thought that she had died about a year before your mother took the cure, when, in actuality, she was able to tap into power that her teacher had blocked off years ago to keep her safe. Unfortunately, once she was able to tap into that power, there was no going back. She lost her mind and… and she became… well, she became something else. She left the team and started following Magneto instead. She turned on him, in the end, too, and nearly killed everyone on Alcatraz during the riots.”

“I heard about that when I was a child. But I was told her name was Phoenix, not Jean.” Eve whispered. She felt like a small child again, being told stories before bed.

“She was known as Phoenix at that time, but she will always be Jean to me…” Scott whispered, hiding the tears that were beginning to form by rubbing to bridge of his nose. Contrary to popular belief at the mansion before he left, he did morn Jean, it just didn’t plague him any longer and he was able to live again with out the constant sharpness of pain her memory once held. “She almost killed everyone that night… She was out of control and it was only because of the love one man held for her that she was stopped.”

“You killed her?” Eve asked slowly, looking at the man in awe. If it came down to it, she wasn’t sure if she could kill someone she loved so much.

“No… Not me… I wasn’t there when the final fight ensued. Jean had already gotten me out of the way by then.” He sighed, raising his eyes to hers. “Your father killed her when no one else could.”

“But… Then he never really loved my mother?” She asked slowly.

“Believe me, Logan loves Marie. Just, back then, she was still a child with a crush, and he… well, he was a stupid Neanderthal. He loves her more than he ever loved Jean. I think, even then, Marie was the only person who could have come between them if she tried, but she was involved in her own personal love triangle at the time.” Scott turned instead concentrating on the wall behind Victor. “Your parents got together after your mother’s abilities came back, and only after she learned to touch again. You were conceived the night your mother was kidnapped.”

“But who was he before?” She asked slowly. “Who was he before he fell in love with my mother… Before they met? You talk as if they’ve known each other their entire lives.”

“Your mother… well, she never really talked about what her life was like before she became a mutant,” Scott said as he rubbed his own hands absently. “She never talked about life on the street. I’m not even sure how long she was on her own before she came to us. She won’t go back further than when she and your father met.”

“And him?”

“He doesn’t remember where he came from. He’s never spoken about it with me, but he can’t remember anything past thirty something years ago. He’s not even sure of his real name.” Scott sighed, wishing that he had something to drink. Something strong.

“He was in the Weapon X program,” Victor said quietly. Scott was shocked by the man’s statement. He didn’t even know the two knew each other on a personal basis. “We were stationed together during the World War two, and again, in Vietnam. The Government knew about us, and used us for as long as they could. When the Weapon X program started, we were sent to ‘recruit’ others like ourselves. Anyone with a heal ability. We brought them back, even if they didn’t want to.

“About two years after we began doing this, I was sent to pick up two new recruits. A woman and a small child. A girl of about fifteen. The woman, Silver Fox, was a member of the Blackfoot Indian tribe. The girl was her daughter, Dark Wolf,” Victor continued with a tightness in his voice that Scott wanted to ignore. This man wasn’t supposed to have any feeling. “Silver Fox had a healing factor, although not a very strong one. She probably would have been overlooked if not for the child. Dark Wolf was just entering womanhood when I took them, and her healing factor was already manifesting beyond belief. If they would have been able to use her, the scientists would have wet their panties.”

“What happened?” Eve asked slowly. “Why weren’t they able to use her?”

“Silver Fox and Dark Wolf attacked me at the same time, and I killed them both. I didn’t know until afterward, when I returned to the facilities, just how badly I had screwed up. You see; the thing about mutants like me and Logan is that it’s not easy for us to breed, and so when we find someone who can have our children, we protect them with everything we got. When I returned, Logan was already in the process of receiving his metal skeleton at another facility. Shortly afterward, Magneto came and talked me into leaving the program in the dead of night. Next I heard, the facility was destroyed and Logan was gone. I didn’t see him again until the day I was sent to kidnap your mother in Alaska, where they met.”

“You killed his family?” Eve asked slowly. She wasn’t sure why he had told her these things. It was probably the guilt of knowing what he had done, but that didn’t change the fact that he really was the only one who knew what had happened. Still, if what everyone was saying was true, and she had no doubt that it was, than that would make Dark Wolf her half sister. Without a word, Eve stood and walked out of the hut as Victor lowered his head in self disgust, and Scott watching both in awe and disbelief.