“So what the hell are you sayin’, Chuck?” Logan was standing shirtless in the middle of their room, his free hand clenched into a fist at his side. He had taken only a few moments to throw on a pair of jeans before calling the professor.

“I’m saying that the political situation is volatile. Mutant-human relations have, for the most part, been on the political agenda for years now, but this is the first time that there are grassroots demands for more stringent control over the mutant population.”

“Bullshit,” Logan growled, locking gazes with Rogue. “Bigoted idiots have been lynchin’ mutants longer than anybody knows.”

“Yes, Logan, but that was vigilantism. It was illegal and apolitical. The grassroots movement I am speaking of is meetings at town halls, petitions, even plans for rezoning in certain areas. Apparently there is some legal loophole that may allow for segregated living.”

Logan cursed loudly and vilely. “Shit, Chuck. They can’t do that. If they have all mutant neighborhoods, any kid growin’ up there will be seen as fair game, whether he’s a mutant or not. Hasn’t anybody considered that argument? That mutant parents don’t always have a mutant kid?”

Logan heard the professor’s heavy sigh and a slight creaking that suggested Xavier was settling wearily back in his chair.

“There’s a convoluted legal precedent for that as well. ‘A child follows the condition of the mother.’”

“What the hell’s that mean?”

“It refers to the legal particulars of slavery. It was determined that a child born to an enslaved woman and a free man shared the status of the mother. Thus any child born to a female slave was the property of the woman’s owner.”

“That’s disgustin’,” Logan growled. “And since slavery’s illegal, the precedent shouldn’t apply anyway.”

Rogue gave him a look of startled anxiety. Realizing that she thought he and the professor were discussing the enslavement of mutants, Logan shook his head at her. Rogue visibly relaxed, but didn’t loosen the grip of her teeth on her bottom lip.

The professor sighed again. “I agree, Logan. But case law on the matter was not automatically overturned when slavery was made illegal. Right now, it is technically legal to consider any child born to a mutant woman to be a mutant.”

“But they can’t know that,” Logan burst out, running his hand angrily through his hair. Realizing that he was just taking his frustration out on the professor, Logan dropped his argumentative tone. “So, what happens if the kid hits puberty and there’s no apparent manifestation of a mutation?”

Xavier made a low humming sound of consideration. “That’s a good point. I imagine that there would be some sort of genetic screening in that situation, and if found to be human, the child would be free of any potential laws governing mutants.”

“It still sucks, Chuck. The kid would be a pariah anyway. What the hell kind of life could he have? People would know about his parents, where he came from. Hell, for that matter, would he even be allowed to have children since he might pass on the mutant gene?”

Another sigh. “I don’t know, Logan. Hank is working on something now. A model of sorts, to determine the likelihood of mutant children born to human parents and vice-versa. It’s difficult, though. Our argument for the privacy and anonymity of mutants is now actually hindering us.”

“Whatdya mean?”

“Naturally, Hank must gather enormous amounts of data from numerous subjects in order to come to a reasonably accurate conclusion. He has started with the school files, charting which of our students were born to human parents, and which to mutant parents. However, many of our students are admitting that they don’t know much about their parents. Many of them are runaways who never discussed their mutations with their parents and others were abandoned and have no idea whom their parents might be.”

“Shit.” Logan flopped down on the bed next to Rogue. “Can it even be accurately predicted? I mean, they call us mutants because our abilities come from a mutation. Isn’t that supposed to be random?”

“Sometimes. But sometimes the mutation is passed to offspring.”

“But not in any predictable way?”

“Correct. A child possessing the mutant gene may or may not manifest an ability, and there is no way to tell what sort of ability might develop.”

“I’m getting’ confused as hell, Chuck.”

“I understand, Logan. My head is hurting a bit as well. Let’s put this aside for the moment, shall we? How is Rogue?”

“She’s fine.” Logan turned his head to look at her, amused to see that she had sprawled on her back beside him.

“May I speak with her?”

“Sure,” Logan said with some surprise. He held the phone out to Rogue. “Professor wants to talk to ya, darlin’.”

Rogue smiled faintly as she took the phone. “Hello, professor,” she drawled softly.

“Rogue.” She could hear the smile in his voice. “How are you doing?”

“Ah’m fine. Much better than Ah was yesterday,” Rogue offered, wondering how much the professor knew about her situation. She knew that Logan would never volunteer anything about her, but she had no idea what Xavier might have picked up from her mind.

“That’s good to hear. Rogue, about the current situation…I think it might be best if you and Logan keep moving for the time being. As you are undoubtedly aware, the interview is quickly becoming a matter of international scrutiny due to the recent revisions to the MRA and the Mutant Classification Scale.”

“Ah understand,” Rogue said, glancing at Logan lying beside her with his eyes closed. “Do ya have any idea when…if…we might be able to come back?”

“I don’t know,” Xavier said gently. “No matter where the two of you end up, though, we’ll be able to keep in touch. That’s a satellite phone I gave you.”

“Oh.” Rogue really wasn’t surprised. “What was all o’ that slavery stuff ya were talkin’ to Logan ‘bout?”

Beside her, Logan tensed. She reached over absently to pat his stomach reassuringly, forgetting that he wasn’t wearing a shirt. When her hand encountered bare skin, she froze, giving Logan time to capture her hand and hold it in place. Her attempt at soothing him worked, though, and she could feel the tension begin to drain out of his muscles. Unfortunately, the new position had her muscles tightening with nervousness.

Relax, ya idiot. This is Logan. He doesn’t mean anythin’ by it. Rogue tried to talk herself into calming down, but she couldn’t quite drown out a smaller part of her that was warning her that while Logan would never hurt her, Wolverine was still an unknown entity.

An insidious little voice in her head began whispering to her, making it impossible to concentrate on the professor’s rambling legal explanation. All that talk to Logan throughout the years about Wolverine being part of him and nothing to be afraid of…were you lying then?

Rogue was growing increasingly uneasy listening to the voice when something occurred to her.

“Professor.” She felt no guilt cutting the man off mid-sentence.

“Yes?”

“Have ya ever met anybody who speaks with an accent, but doesn’t think with one?”

“What? Why?” Rogue didn’t answer. After just a few moments, Xavier continued. “Hmm. For people with regular minds and thought processes, no, I suppose not. But you are the exception to that, Rogue. The few times I’ve been able to catch a stray thought from you, they have all been relatively unaccented thoughts, but were definitely in your voice.”

“Do ya think it has somethin’ to do with mah mutation?”

“That is certainly a possibility. Why, Rogue? Has something happened?”

Again, Rogue didn’t answer.

“Rogue,” Xavier said, concern evident in his voice. “My theory in all of this is that the thoughts I was hearing weren’t your own, but belonged to one of the…psyches you had absorbed.”

“Why would they be in mah voice then? When Ah hear ‘em talk, they sound like themselves.”

“Perhaps that is because wherever, or however, they are stored in your brain, you are able to recognize which psyche is speaking and hear the appropriate voice. I would have no way of knowing, though, so I think that any thoughts that I detect from you, I hear in your voice.”

Rogue took a few seconds to think about the professor’s reasoning. She was unaware that her muscles had relaxed during the conversation, and had forgotten about Logan’s grip on her hand.

“Ah suppose that makes sense.”

“I’ll think about it further, perhaps consult with Hank. If we come up with any other possibilities, we’ll let you know. Now, may I speak with Logan again?”

“Sure. Thanks, professor.”

Having easily heard both sides of the conversation, Logan’s hand was already reaching for the phone when Rogue pulled it away from her ear. She gave him a mock scowl, which he returned.

“Yeah,” Logan growled into the phone.

“Keep an eye on her, Logan. She wouldn’t say why, but you know there’s always a reason when Rogue asks questions.”

Logan felt a light tug on his hand. Glancing over, he saw that Rogue was studiously ignoring him while trying to free her hand. A light blush covered her cheekbones. He grinned and tightened his grip. For a while at least, she had been able relax. He had no doubt that if kept his hold on her long enough, she’d eventually relax again.

She had the conversation with Chuck to distract her, that’s why. Logan could hear the laughter in Wolverine’s voice. She’s strugglin’, but she’s kinda enjoyin’ it.

Intrigued, Logan scented the air. Wolverine was right. Although there was no hint of arousal to Rogue’s scent, there was no panic either. Just the scent of her skin running a little warmer than usual, laced with cigarette smoke and whiskey from the bar.

“Yeah, I will,” Logan said, returning to his conversation with the professor. “Do ya think it might have anythin’ to do with what we talked about the other day?” That ‘dissociative’ stuff, Logan thought clearly, directly, hoping Xavier would pick it up somehow.

“Yes, perhaps,” Xavier said. That is what I’m worried about, Even as he was projecting the words directly into Logan’s mind, the professor continued speaking out loud in generalities. I suspect that Rogue may be hearing a voice she does not recognize as her own or one of her…boarders.

Bemused by the way the professor was able to essentially hold two different conversations, Logan answered out loud. The professor had neatly left his spoken question open-ended enough that, should Rogue actually be overhearing any of it, she would not be suspicious of anything Logan might say.

“You think that’s a serious problem?”

“I don’t know yet,” Xavier seamlessly launched into another telepathic sentence. I don’t believe that Rogue’s being spied on telepathically, or that she’s in any way possessed – and yes, I did pick that thought straight out of your head. That she’s aware that this voice is not her own is a good thing, though.

“Do you know who it might be?” Logan asked, careful to keep his sentences short and generally relating to what the professor was saying out loud. He was beginning to get a headache focusing on the separate conversations.

“My apologies, Logan,” It gave me a headache the first time I tried it, too. And no, I don’t know yet. Just keep a close eye on Rogue for now, and let me know if you notice anything peculiar.

I’ll keep a close eye alright. On her face, on her lips, her hips, her br–

“Excuse me?” The professor’s voice was confused, and slightly scandalized Logan thought.

Logan huffed a slight laugh. “No. No, that wasn’t me, Chuck.”

“Then who – ”

Wolverine.

“Oh. I see. That’s very interesting.” Is he normally such a distinct voice in your head?

“Pretty much. Been getting a little clearer lately.”

“Hmm. Very interesting indeed. I think, perhaps, I need to discuss the situation with Hank.” I have a theory about what might be going on with Rogue, but I’ll need some more information from you. When you have a chance to talk without Rogue being able to overhear us sometime in the next day or so, call me back.

“Right. We’ll do that. ‘Night, Chuck.”

“Goodnight, Logan.”

Logan flipped the phone closed and tossed it lightly toward the pillows. He turned his head to focus his attention on Rogue. Her blush was deeper and she was tugging a little harder on her hand.

“What’s the matter, darlin’?” Logan asked innocently.

“Nothin’,” she answered at once. “Can Ah have mah hand back?”

Keeping his grip on her hand, Logan rolled onto his side to face her. Taking pity on her, he slid her hand up so that it rested over his heart instead of his stomach. Logan gave her question serious consideration, or at least appeared to do so.

“No, I don’t think so,” he said finally. “I like havin’ your hand on me.”

Rogue’s breath hitched and her blush deepened yet again.

She smells a little nervous, but not afraid, Wolverine said. Care to test my theory?

What are you talkin’ ‘bout?

What we were talkin’ ‘bout in the shower. That it’s me Marie’s afraid of an’ not you.

Logan had a distinctly uncomfortable feeling and knew that if he had fur like Hank’s, his hackles would be raised.

Don’t get your panties in a bunch, Wolverine said with real irritation. You know I’d never hurt her.

I know that. But if you’re right, she’s gonna be scared. I don’t want that.

I don’t either, Wolverine said sullenly. Can you think of a better way, though?

No, Logan admitted reluctantly. Let me try to ease her into the idea, though. And there’s no way in hell I’m givin’ you full control, okay?

Understood.

Logan returned to himself to find Rogue eyeing him warily.

“Ya were talkin’ to him, weren’t ya? To Wolverine.”

Logan couldn’t keep the startled look off his face. “You can tell?”

Rogue shrugged. “Yeah. Whatever ya’ll were talkin’ ‘bout, doesn’t seem ya liked it.”

“Marie,” he began slowly, “what do you know ‘bout Wolverine from havin’ absorbed me?”

Another shrug. “Not much. Ah mean, he’s there, but ya keep him in check.”

“I do?”

“Yeah. Ah hear him sometimes, usually when Ah’m angry ‘bout somethin’. An’ then ye’ll come along an’ calm me down so he goes away again.”

Logan frowned. “Do we ever…I dunno…fight?”

“What? Ya mean do ya an’ Wolverine fight inside mah head?” Rogue laughed. “No, sugar. He listens to ya. If ya tell him enough’s enough, he’ll back down. He’ll grumble all loud an’ snarly, but he’ll back down.”

“Well, hell. Wish he’d be that polite inside my head.”

“Ya fight with him?”

“‘Course. You already know that though. Remember when I told you he threatened me with decapitation that one time?”

“Oh. Right.” Rogue frowned and began tugging at her hand again.

Way to go, genius. Now she’s startin’ to get afraid.

Shut it, Logan said in a heavy mental sigh.

“He wants to take care o’ you, too, you know.”

Rogue froze. “What?”

“Wolverine. He worries ‘bout you the same way I do.”

“Why? Ah mean, doesn’t he just feel what ya do?”

“No. We usually agree on things, that’s true. But there have been some people I like that he can’t stand. Like Jean,” Logan admitted.

“What?” In her surprise, Rogue rolled onto her side toward Logan. She pulled her left arm up to cradle her head.

“He didn’t hate her or anythin’. An’ he found her attractive, same as I did. He just wasn’t in love with her like I was.”

“Ah…how…so ya really are two different people in there?”

Logan shrugged one shoulder. “I guess. Don’t really know. You told me once that I shouldn’t worry ‘bout it, remember? Said that I’m him and he’s me.”

“Yeah, Ah did. But Ah’m not sure Ah really understood everythin’ then.” Logan could see the curiosity seeping into her dark brown eyes. “Ya said that he wants to protect me same as ya. What else?”

Logan quirked an eyebrow at her. “He likes your company, same as me. Thinks you’re funny. Thinks you’re the best drinkin’ buddy we’ve ever had. And has a secret desire to shred your bunny slippers in a fit of hunger every time he sees ‘em.”

I do not!

Logan burst out laughing. “Okay, so that last bit isn’t true.” Rogue gave him a skeptical look. “Seriously, darlin’. You’re the only person we’ve ever completely agreed on. He cares about you and wants to keep you safe. Always.”

Rogue searched his face. “Ah believe ya, sugar. Ah’m just wonderin’ why ya’re tellin’ me all this.”

Logan took a deep breath. “Because o’ the other night. I told you that I want you, darlin’.” He felt Rogue recoil suddenly.

“No. No, ya said ya wouldn’t mind sleepin’ with me if that’s what Ah wanted.”

Logan couldn’t help it. He burst out laughing. At Rogue’s hurt look, he quickly calmed himself.

“Same thing, darlin’. I want you, have for a while. But nothin’s gonna happen without your say so.”

“Fer a while? S-since when?” Logan’s heart clenched suddenly at her nervous stutter. He squeezed her hand reassuringly.

“Not exactly sure. The last couple years at least.”

“Years!”

“Yeah.” Logan was bemused by the disbelief in Rogue’s voice. “What, you don’t think I’m capable of restrainin’ myself that long?”

“No. Ah mean, yes. It’s just…if it’s been that long, why didn’t ya ever say anythin’?”

Logan shrugged again. “You never gave me any indication that you felt the same way.”

“Well o’ course not!”

“What the hell’s that supposed to mean?” Logan growled the question and pushed on Rogue’s shoulder until she was lying on her back. He followed her movement until he was hovering over her upper body. He let go of her hand and braced his elbows on either side of her head. Rogue swallowed heavily, drawing his attention to the slim line of her throat.

“A-Ah mean that, despite everythin’ that’s happened, an’ the fake flirtin’ we’d do when people annoyed us, Ah’m still a lady, Logan. An’ ladies don’t make the first move.”

For the second time in as many minutes, Logan laughed. The laughter relaxed him and drained away the fear and confusion he hadn’t realized he was feeling. Rogue pushed at his bare shoulder with one fingertip and scowled at him. His laughter died down to chuckling and he dropped his forehead to rest against her hair.

Rogue made a startled noise as her nose brushed against his throat. Her breath moving over his skin raised goosebumps along his arms.

“Does that mean that you’re just waitin’ on me to make the first move then?” He whispered the question into her hair. She shuddered, but didn’t answer. Logan drew back to look at her. Rogue was biting her lower lip anxiously, and he saw in his peripheral vision that she was lacing and unlacing her fingers over her chest, carefully avoiding touching his skin. “Marie?” he asked quietly.

“W-what about Wolverine?”

Logan didn’t know why, but he felt a bit of surprise. You were right, he murmured to his alter ego.

Let me talk to her. Just for a while. Soon as she wants you back, I’ll leave.

Logan hesitated. “He wants to talk to you.”

Rogue’s eyes widened. “He can do that? What happens to ya when he’s in control?”

Logan shrugged. “Nothin’, really. I’m still here, just not holdin’ him back like I usually do. Only time he’s ever fully in control is when we’re in real trouble. An’ sometimes right when I wake up.”

Rogue gave him another startled look. “Was he there this mornin’?”

Logan nodded.

With her eyes narrowed a bit, Rogue searched his face. After several seconds, her brow smoothed out and she gave a short nod. “All right. Ah’ll talk to him.”

“You’re sure, darlin’?” At Rogue’s nod, Logan continued. “Okay. But if you want me back at any point, you just tell him. He promised he’ll do whatever you want.”

Leaning forward slightly, Logan dropped a quick kiss on Rogue’s forehead. He drew back immediately, at a loss as to what to do next. He had never willingly given control to Wolverine before and wasn’t sure how it was supposed to happen.

As soon as he finished the thought, Wolverine was stirring, pushing his way forward. Logan could feel himself falling back into his own mind and saw Rogue’s face in a curious overlay of different colored double-vision. He saw the hint of fear in her eyes and could vaguely feel the way her muscles tensed beneath him. In an oddly disjointed way, Logan felt his ribs expand as he inhaled, and felt the tightening of his vocal cords as Wolverine opened his mouth to speak.