She awoke early Saturday morning as she felt a pull in the psychic link she shared with Scott. Quickly getting up and throwing on her robe, she opened the door to find him waiting on the other side, bag in one hand.

They greeted each other silently, neither knowing what to say or that it was even worth it to speak.

He turned away from her, heading to the elevator that would take him to the garage. And she followed with out a word.

He had said his goodbyes to everyone else the night before, promising that he would return one day, but not giving any indication of when. “Only time will tell,” he told them as reassuringly as he could. He then made them all promise not to give him a huge farewell. That they shouldn’t even get up. It would be too much for him, he said.

Of course, that didn’t apply to her. She was the closest thing to Jean he had now, and it just wouldn’t be fitting if she weren’t there.

She followed him into the elevator, a tear gently crawling down her cheek. She couldn’t bring herself to look at him, just as she knew he couldn’t look at her.

She followed him into the garage, and then over to where the bikes were parked in a perfect line. In a few moments, one would be gone, and it would never look right again. At least not until the middle one was back where it belonged.

He secured the bag on to the back of the bike, making sure it was snug. He turned to look at her then, finally acknowledging her presence.

“It isn’t forever, Rogue. We both know that,” he said as he threw his arms around her.

“It could be. You can’t say that. You don’t know what later is going to hold for us,” she whispered as she hugged him back, silently crying. “No one does.”

“I know it. We’ll see each other again. You’ll come for a visit, or I’ll come home. Either way, no matter how far apart we are, we’ll always be able to feel each other, you know.” He pulled away and smiled at her, both knowing that it was true. “You need me, you know how to reach me.”

“I know,” she said with a giggle between tears. He was always only a thought away.

“Just be careful not to let this place do to you what it did to me. You might go on to save the world and all, but that doesn’t mean that is all you need to do. You have to remember to live for yourself, too. This isn’t all you are.” She could see the pain and hurt on his face and knew that he was wondering what would have happened to him and Jean if they hadn’t made this life their whole world.

“Just remember to get a hold of me if you get into any trouble and I will personally fly the jet out there myself to pick your ass up.” Her comment made him smile, which, in turn, made her do the same. It lightened the mood for just a second.

And then he did something that neither of them was prepared for him to do. He bent his head and kissed her. It was a soft kiss, but it had passion in it that she had never known him to possess. It lasted for only a second, and when he pulled away, they both knew that it didn’t mean anything for either.

“I had to try, you know. Just to see if there might be something I would miss out on.” He said softly, shrugging a little. “I just wanted to know if there could have been something between us.”

“And what did you feel?” She asked, eyeing him carefully. What he said next could kill their friendship if it was the wrong thing to say.

“Honestly?” He smiled coyly, watching her carefully. “I felt something. It was like what I would imagine kissing my sister would be.”

They both laughed at that. She didn't have to say it, but they both knew she felt the same way.

And then he jumped on his bike and rode away. She watched him for as long as she could, until she couldn’t see him anymore. For a moment, she imagined that he was some gallant knight, off to look for adventure, treasure, and, most importantly, his princess.

She sent out a prayer that he would find what he was looking for and that he would return safe and happy. And then she turned to wander back to her room where she would meet Jubilee for breakfast before they began to get ready for the dance.
Chapter End Notes:
Alright, I know. Icky Scott kissed Rogue. But I had to do it. Wanted to clear up just what kind of relationship they had before someone got the wrong idea!

Up Next: Prom!!!! And, who knows, maybe a real kiss by someone better?