Author's Chapter Notes:
More explanations
Scott let her soak up this information as he ran to her old room and grabbed a few things for her to wear. She hadn’t asked him, but he figured she was getting a little uncomfortable with her lack of clothing. But now he was back, and the silence was deadening. He watched closely, waiting for anything that may give a hint as to what was going on inside her head. They had no way to be sure if Phoenix was locked up tightly or not. No way to be sure that Rogue was completely in control. But he knew, just looking at her, he knew. For the time being anyway, she was fine.

She didn’t know what to say about this. Wasn’t even sure if she wanted to dwell on it. There were so many questions, so many concerns. Many answers she wasn’t sure she wanted to know. She needed them, though. She decided to start with something simple, something that wouldn’t take too much thought.

“Where is everyone? Why are you the only one down here?” She looked at him quizzically, arching an eyebrow at him in a fashion that reminded him of Logan. “I mean, didn’t they care?”

Scott swallowed hard. He hadn’t even thought of how to answer this question. What was he supposed to say? Everyone knew about Bobby and Kitty, had known since before the cure. Logan… Well, Logan had basically been forced to stay away, in case something like the last time happened again. It was bad enough that he had been seduced by the woman he though was Jean. He had gotten lucky. Phoenix would use Rogue’s abilities to kill him.

“They really don’t care, do they?” He had taken too long to answer, and she felt her fears confirmed. Did they hate her? Did they blame her?

“Rogue, the others… they don’t know what to think. You have to understand something. You left them to go take the cure, something none of them really believed in.”

“But I di…”

He raised his hand, cutting her off before she overworked her emotions. “They know you didn’t take it. We all know. But that doesn’t change the fact that you still went. There are those who aren’t upset about it at all. Those who understand why.”

“Like who?” She asked slowly, her eyes growing wide. If they really cared, why weren’t they here?

“Beast, Jubilee, the students who cannot hide their mutations and a few that can,” he sighed, meeting her eyes through his visor. “Logan and myself.”

“Then why are you the only one down here?” She asked softly, holding back the tears that were building up again.

“There is something you should know, Rogue.” Scott stood from his chair and began to pace around the room. This was going to be one of the trickier parts, but she deserved to know. “Jean and I always had this link. We could feel each other, hear each other from where ever we were. We always knew if one or the other was hurt. At least, I always thought that it was Jean. That link should have been cut when she died at Alkali. Instead, well, it grew stronger every moment we were apart. That leads me to believe that it was actually with Phoenix. It became painful. That was one of the reasons why I couldn’t let go. The link was pulling me, and I believe that it was that link that sent me over the edge and drew me back to that sport. And when she came to me, I was amazed. But when she kissed me, well, that was when realization hit in and I was scared. What was I supposed to do? I think when you touched her, you absorbed that link. But it wasn’t until today, when you awoke, that I felt it again. It was you, coming back to us, that pulled me here.”

He was very careful about the words he used. He didn’t want to remind her of the death she could cause, afraid that it would do more bad than good. This was all really just touch and go. “If it means anything, the others might not have realized that you had awakened.”

“No. He knows. I could sense him when I stepped out of the bathroom. He was just outside the room, but I think what I, well, what I can become scared him.” She shook her head, signaling that she didn’t want to continue. “That link is the first sign of what I am in for, isn’t it?” She looked away for the first time since getting dressed, her eyes landing on the bare wall just behind his head. “Now that I know, I can feel it. But what about everything else? Everything from before? Everyone that I have touched? I can’t hear them anymore. I can’t even feel them.”

“You would have to ask Emma about that. I really couldn’t say. Although, it would be my guess that it would have to do with the blocks.” He smiled at her, a genuine smile that suggested he knew something she didn’t. “I believe she is in Xavier’s office, waiting, if you would like to speak with her.”

“That’s a good idea.” It was the first time he saw something that resembled relief shadow her features. “Would you come with me?”

~*~*~*~*~*~

He had heard everything they had said, and then sat back and watched them leave the room. One thing stood out more than any other part of their conversation, and, in his opinion, it was the most important. It wasn’t so much the link or the missing voices, but the fact that she had known he was there. And she still chose Scott.

He was reminded of something Jean had said not so long ago. About girls flirting with the bad boy.