Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the long wait, but real life sucks big time, but dont worry chapter 5 on the way very soon.
Three days, that’s how long I’ve had to put up with Ms. Gossip who won’t shut the fuck up. I swear if one more word comes out of that tunnel she calls a mouth, I’m gonna shut it for her.



“Did you know...“ Argh, there she goes again. *snikt* Why do I smell fear? Oh shit, guess I got more worked up than I thought. I’ve released the claws on my left hand, and didn’t even notice I’d done it. They're all looking at me now, properly wondering who I’m gonna off first. Let’s just put those away before a portal car sees them shining in the moonlight. *snikt* Damn, that goddamn hurts.



I’ve been driving for three days solid, making sure I put enough distance between us and whoever attacked the mansion. I think I’ve done pretty well. We made it over the Canadian border in the early hours without fuss, but my body is starting to feel the lack of sleep from three days of driving, plus the attack, plus this bitch. We’re on an empty highway now. Hopefully we will come across a motel soon. It’s already past midnight and I need to find one soon.



Why is it so damn quiet? Oh yeah, I’ve scared them shitless, not that I’m complaining about it being quiet. At least I can hear myself.



Well, what do you know, the big blinking sign tells me there’s a motel here and they've got rooms. Good, 'cause I need sleep now. I pull into the motel parking lot and park outside the office, killing the engine and unbuckling my seatbelt before I turn to face them.



“I’m gonna see if I can get us some rooms. You are NOT to leave this car unless I say so, you pipsqueaks got that?” A round of nods let me know they all understood. Good.



I’d forgotten how cold it gets at the start of winter, ‘cause its fucking freezing. If my ass wasn’t numb from sitting for so long, it would be now just from the weather. From the smell in the air, it seems there’s gonna be snow in a few days. Let’s hope I can get to the safe house before then. According to the directions, the house is right up in the mountains, far away from anyone who might go looking.



I walk into the office of the motel, and the smell of drink, sex, and vomit fill my nose. Oh, lovely. Just gonna get a few keys and get the hell out of here. I ring the bell and wait for someone to come and serve me. But when have I ever been a patient man? And besides, hitting that little bell until it breaks can be therapeutic.



The bell is snatched out from under my hand as the manager appears from the back. He looks just about how I feel: tired.



“Can I help you, sir?” Well, if there wasn’t a hint of sarcasm there.



“Yeah, I need a few rooms, ones which are joined.” The sick bastard has the nerve to check out the car, and who just so happens to step out of the car, but Jubilee. I swear that girl is just deaf or just plain stupid, either way this perv is giving off something I don’t even wanna think about.



“Look, you got the rooms or what?” 'Cause I’m gonna hurt him if he doesn’t give one now.



“Yes, I do believe I got what you’re looking for. An adjoined room for you and your lady friend.” Okay, not gonna hurt him, just gonna take the keys and walk out of here.



I walk up to Jubilee and give her a look that Death would be scared of. “You get the bags out of the back. ALL of the bags. The rest of you, out!” Reaching in, I unbuckle the Kid from the car and head down to the rooms. Upon reaching one of the doors, I realize I’m still holding the Kid in my arms. Looking at her face, she seems more shocked than me. Letting out a heavy sigh, I place her back on the ground and unlock the door.



The room is just like any cheap motel you find along the highway, outdated carpets and curtains. The bed sheets looked like they hadn’t been washed in a while and the bed themselves look like they’d break if a fly landed on them. Doing a quick swipe of the rooms, making sure they're safe, I head back to the door. "Alright, girls, you get this room. Guys, you get the other one. There are two double beds in each room, which means some of you are gonna have to share.”



All at once, they decide to put up an argument about share a bed. Turning back around to face them, I let out a loud snarl, “You either share a bed, or sleep on the floor, without a pillow or quilt. Am I making myself clear?” With a round of nods, I head to the adjoining room and crash onto one of the beds.



“Goddamn, these are heavy. Why the hell do I have to carry your shit??” That big-mouthed airhead is getting on my last nerve.



“Well, maybe if you listened instead of being so nosey, then you wouldn’t have to carry the bags, or get your head bitten off.” Mike seems to know what he's talking about. Listen and you don’t get yourself killed. How hard is it for her to understand that?



“It’s not my fault he's so grumpy. I mean, he’s got a rep at the school for being the most laid. I think he’s deprived of it or something.” Claws are starting to itch again.



“Well, if you’re so censored, maybe you should go in there and help him out.”



What the hell?? Is he for real? Mike just told her to come in here and fuck me. They’re all laughing now, apart from one, who I swear just whispered the word ‘No’ so quietly that I just barely heard it. Better put a stop to this NOW before it’s too late. Crawling out of the bed, I stomp over to the door.



“RIGHT, get your asses into bed NOW. The next person I hear so much as a peep out of, is sleeping outside.” They just stand there shocked, not moving as fast as I want them to. “NOW!!” That got them moving. They're running around grabbing their bags from where Jubilee dropped them on the floor. Mike and John run past me into the guys' room. “I don’t share a bed, so you two are gonna have to.” They both share a look between one another, but keep quiet.



Jubilee has jumped into one of the beds, and Jane in the other, leaving the Kid standing in the corner holding onto her doll. She looks likes she's about to drop any second. Pushing away from the doorframe, I walk over to her and take her back in my arms. She so light, like a feather. I walk over to Jane’s bed and pull the covers back on one side of the bed. Carefully laying her down, I pull the covers back up and kneel on the floor by her bed.



“If you need anything in the night, I’ll leave the door open so you can get me. But if you try to wake me, stand back just in case, okay?” She doesn’t say anything, or make any indication that she understood me.



I push off her bed and walk back over to the adjoining door, checking one last time to make sure the door's locked. I head back into the other room and fall onto the bed, passing out within seconds.



It’s dark, quiet.



It’s cold, there’s snow all around me. So cold, I’m running, running through the snow as fast as I can. My feet are bare as well as my body. So cold, so dark. The quietness is broken, voice behide me. Running, running faster. A loud sound, pain. Pain shooting throough my back. Blood, I can smell blood, my blood. Just keep running, into the forest, running as fast as my bare feet can take me. Loud noise again, more pain shooting through my back, too much to take.



I’m falling, falling into the snow, the red tinted snow. Voice, I can hear voice nearing me, laughing at me. More pain but in my hands, so much pain.



“Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh”



*snikt*



“Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,” I jerk awake from the nightmare, panting and covered in sweat. I take deep breaths to try and slow my heart rate.



“Hey, Logan, you alright, man?” Turning to my left I see both John and Mike looking scared at me, but not at my face. Looking down to where they’re both looking, I see to my horror that the claws in my left hand are out and digging into the mattress.



With a loud *snikt* I pull the claws back into my hand, and rub my hands over my face. “Yeah, I’m alright. Just get back to sleep." Standing from the bed, I head to the ensuite bathroom, closing the door behind me.



The dream was different; nothing like I’d had before, just feelings, no real visual clue at all. Splashing some cold water onto my face, I head back out into the room. Both Mike and John are fallen back asleep, but there is a new scent in the room. Taking a sniff, I follow the scent to behind the door.



Pulling it back, I see the Kid sitting there, curled up in a ball, holding onto her doll. “What are you doing in here, Kid?” She looks up at me with the biggest and wettest eyes I’d ever seen. Quietly I hear her whisper, “I had a nightmare, the scare men were coming for me.” She grips onto her doll, letting silent tears fall. Great, just what I need right now. Slumping against the wall, I slide down next to her.



“We all have nightmares, Kid, me included. But you have to remember one thing.” She peeks her head up, looking me dead in the eyes.



“What’s that?” she asks in another quiet voice. I can’t help it, I pick the kid up and place her on my lap as her tears fall.



“As long as I’m around, no one is going to hurt you. I’ll protect you." Those big eyes look up at me again.



“You promise?”



“Yeah, kid, I promise. Now, let’s get you back to bed.” As I start to stand, the Kid throws her arms around my neck as tight as she could.



“Could I sleep with you tonight, please?”



This is not good. She can’t sleep with me. I’ll flatten her for sure, or I’ll end up slicing and dicing her. But one look at that face makes me realize, I’m never gonna be able to say ‘No’ to it.



“Sure you can, but you’ve got to be careful, understand?” With a sight nod, I head back to my bed and lay the kid on one side, making sure she’s tucked in. Walking to the other side of the bed, I slip under the covers, making sure the Kid’s got plenty, and making sure I don’t squish her.



Lying on my back, I place my hands under the pillow, better to be safe than sorry. And no sooner have I started to relax and fall back to sleep, then the Kid rolls over and curls her body into my right side.



This is going to be a long night.