Author's Chapter Notes:
As promised chapter 5. I did have chapters 5 and 6 together but it was to long so i cut it down. Hope you like
Not only was it a long night, but also a very restless one after waking up at 4 am from that damn nightmare, then not being able to fall back asleep. But the worst part of the night was having the Kid sleep right next to me. I never sleep in the same bed with anyone for the fact that one false move, one really bad nightmare, and that person will be sliced and diced.



So I spent the whole night wide awake, watching her sleep, making sure I didn’t wake her, making sure I didn’t kill her, and just making sure she slept. Didn’t really think much about it before now, but the Kid never slept much. When all the others would pass out in the car, she would stay wide awake watching everyone, sometimes just watching the world pass by. But when she did sleep it was never for long, 2 hours tops. She would always wake up eyes wide, like she was seeing something she shouldn’t be.



There’s something about her, but I don’t know what. It feels like I’m missing something, something involving her. So as I laid there she slept, longer than she had in the last few days. She looked peaceful, like an angel. I started running my fingers through her long, curly hair and thinking about what to do next. It won’t be long before we reach the safe house, maybe by the end of the day, but what next?



I don’t know who’s living in the safe house. I don’t know if they can be trusted. And what about the kids? I can’t risk their lives. And what do I do with them once we are in the safe house? That’s the one thing not put in the pack. Will they continue with school, or do I have to enrol them in a local school, or do they just miss school all together? I’ve never had this responsibility for one individual before, let alone five.



Shit, the Kid just moved. I think she’s starting to wake up. Looking at the alarm on the bedside table, it reads 7:30 am. Looking back at the Kid, I see her bright eyes staring back up at me from my chest.



“Morning, Kid, did you sleep?” She gives a slight nod and turns her head away from me. Her cheeks are blushing, like she’s embarrassed that she fell asleep on me. I gently move her off my chest and sit up, resting my back against the head rest; the Kid sits on her knees in the middle of the bed looking at me.



“How about we get some breakfast soon? I don’t know about you, but I could eat a horse and a cow,” a small smile creeps at the corner of her mouth. Maybe this kid is starting to open up a bit more. I guess after everything she saw in Charles’ office, it’s no surprise she doesn’t want to talk to anyone.



I reach over and pick her up off the bed. Standing, I walk over to the bathroom and place her on the shut toilet lid. “I’m gonna run you a bath. Have you ever had a bath by yourself before?” With a quick nod from her, I turn back to the bath and start to fill it up with some of the motel’s provided bubble bath. “Good, ‘cause I got no idea on how to bath a kid.”



Once the bath is half way full, I switch the taps off and turn back to the kid, “I’m gonna leave you now, but I’m gonna leave the bathroom door open so that I can hear what’s going on, okay?” The Kid gives another nod and slips off from the toilet and pads over to the bath.



As she starts to undress, I walk back into the ‘guys’ room, partly closing the door behind me. I head over to the adjoining door and quickly walk into the ‘girls’ room. I see the pile of bags on the floor and carefully look for the Kid’s bag. Realizing she never had one to start with, I let out a small curse word and walk over to Jubilee’s bed. Shaking her shoulders, I try to wake her, “Hey, wake up!” With no response, I throw back her bed sheet and throw her over my shoulder.



“Hey! What’s the big idea, you lug head?” I continue walking until I reach the bathroom. Placing her back down on the toilet, I give her a stern look. “The Kid is having a bath and I need to go out. YOU! Will sit here and watch her. Got it?” Leaving no room for argument, I head back over to my bed and place my boots back on. Grabbing a clean shirt and my wallet, I head out into the local town.



Thank god the town has a 24-hour market, which just so happens to sell clothes. Looking through the pink, frilly dresses, I felt like a real idiot. Thank god it’s only 8 in the morning and no one’s up yet. I manage to find a few pairs of pants and a couple of tops that would fit her. Throwing in some underwear and socks for her, I head down the food aisle.



Grabbing a few bags of chips and other edible food, I head out for the cashier who just so happens to be a woman in her earlier 30’s. Scanning the items through, she gives me a funny look when she picks up the clothing. “They’re for my kid,” the weird look is replaced by a large smile.



“Oh, how old is she?”



I’m not in the mood for light conversation, so I grunt out “5” and turn to my bags of items.



Once finished in the market I head over to the cafe and order food for everyone to eat at the motel. Just as I’m about to place the key in the lock, the smell of fear hits me in waves, I can hear screaming from inside. Rushing to get in, I throw the bags onto the floor and run to where everyone is gathered. In the bathroom.



All of them are crowded around and looking at the floor. Pushing my way through, I see the Kid laying out cold on the floor, turning blue, and a hysterical Jubilee standing over her.



“WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?" Rushing to her side, I place my hand on her head. She's cold and getting colder.



“I DON’T KNOW! One minute she was fine and the next, she’s lying at the bottom of the tub. I only closed my eyes for seconds, I swear it was just for a few seconds.” What?!?



“YOU FUCKING FELL ASLEEP WITH A KID IN THE BATH!!”



“IT WAS JUST FOR A SECOND.”



“WELL, A SECOND IS ALL IT FUCKING TAKES.” Shit, need to stop fighting, got to focus on the kid. Wait, what was that shit Scott made me learn last year? CPR. That’s it.



I place my hand under her neck and lift her chin. Blowing two breaths into her mouth, I start to push down on her chest like Scott showed. Got to make sure I don’t push too hard; don’t wanna break any ribs.



“1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,” I press ten times on her chest and blow two more breaths into her mouth. I continue this action. Ten presses on her chest, and two air breaths. They're all crying now, giving up hope. I keep trying; I can’t give up.

“1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,” two more breaths, got to keep going, can’t give up.



I can hear Jubilee behind, saying it’s not her fault, trying to defend herself, but I don’t give a shit about her. I’ve got to get the Kid breathing, got to get her heart starting again.



“1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,” got to keep going