Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter 6 as promised, a BIG thanks to my beta Wolf, who I know is very busy at the min but still has time to beta, thanks hun XD
What’s that?



I swear I can hear...



It’s faint, but it’s there. Just a few more, that’s all she needs, just a few more. I continue with my actions, then suddenly...



*Cough, Cough*



Her eyes are open; she’s coughing up the water. I turn her onto her side so that she’s curling around my legs.



Thank you, Scott.



“Mike, grab a towel; and Jane, there’s a bag with some clothes in it. Bring them here.” Mike hands me the towel and I lay it over her body. Jane rushes back into the bathroom and hands me the bag of clothes.



“Logan, I’m so sorry, I just - I just...”



I let a growl slip from my mouth. “Everyone, out.” I don’t turn to look at them. My concentration is on the Kid who is shaking in front of me.



“Logan, I...”



“I said EVERYONE OUT!”



With that, they all scurry out of the room, closing the door behind them, leaving me and the Kid. Gently I lift her up from the floor and wrap the towel around her tighter. I lean my back against the bath tub and wrap my arms around the Kid, trying to get her warm.



It felt like I was there forever, just holding the Kid in my arms, running my hands up and down her arms to get them warm. Eventually the Kid stop shaking and her body temperature started to rise.



“I shouldn’t have left you,” the guilt was building up now. Xavier had trusted these children’s lives in my hands, and I nearly got one killed.



“It’s not your fault,” a quiet voice spoke to me. I look down at her and she’s looking right back at me.



“Yeah, it is, Kid. I’m responsible for you and I left you in the bath with another stupid kid.” I should have got Jane to look out for her, or waited 'til she got out of the bath before I went to buy her clothes.



“She was tired, and it was my fault.”



“How was it your fault?” ‘Cause as far as I know, I’m the adult. I’m the one in charge, and I’m the one who fucked up.



“I... wantedtoseewhatitwasliketobeafish,” it was quiet and so fast that even my enhanced hearing couldn’t pick it up.



“You wanna repeat that Kid,”



“I-I said I wanted to see what it was like to be a fish. None of the teachers would let me have a bath on my own, or let me go swimming, and I just wanted to see what it was like. It’s my fault, not hers,” she’s shaking again but this time from crying. I pull her closer to me and just rock her.



“If you want, Kid, I’ll teach you to swim, but when I say, got it? 'Til then you can play in the bath when you have one, but no putting your head underwater, okay?”



“Promise?”



“Yah, Kid, I promise,” she’s looking at me with her wet eyes, but the smile on her face was a full blown smile. Teeth showing and all. “Good, now that’s settled, let’s get you dressed and fed, hmm?”



She just continues to smile at me as I reach over for the bags. Taking out a few items, I lay them out on the floor. I place the kid so that she’s not sitting on me and I stand up. Walking over to the door I can instantly smell the sadness rolling off her.



“I don’t know how to dress you, kid, so I’m gonna send Jane in to help. Don’t worry, I’m just on the other side of the door,” she gives a small nod and looks back down at the clothes, running her fingers across them.



As I pull the door open, the rest of them jump up from the bed that Mike and John slept in. I didn’t say anything to them. I turn to Jane and point to the door over my shoulder. “Go help her get dressed,” Jane quickly runs for the door and closes it behind her.



“Logan I-“



“Save it, kid; I don’t wanna hear it. I gave you one job, to watch her whilst I’m gone and you couldn’t even do that. How am I meant to trust you if you can’t do one simple job? You are the eldest out of the group which makes it your responsibility to set an example, to watch over the younger ones, but if you can’t do that then what can I trust you with, hmm?” She’s looking down now, letting silent tears fall.



“Now listen up, all of you. We have to stick together for as long as we need to. I need to know I can trust you with the simplest of tasks. It’s your job now to work as a team and watch each others' backs because I’m not always gonna be here to do it. So get your acts together. ALL of you, understand?” Their all looking down now, but they give of a round of nods to show they understand.



Walking past them, I head back into the other room and retrieve the bag filled with food from the diner. It’s cold now but it will have to do. Heading back into the ‘guy’ room, Jane and the Kid have emerged from the bathroom. Jubilee is hugging the Kid very tightly, the Kid looks uncomfortable and looks over at me.



*Cough*



They all turn to me as I hold up the bag.



“It’s cold now, but still edible, so come and get it,” I lay the different foods out on one of the beds so that they can choose what they want. The Kid walks up to me and just stands by my side. Reaching over on the bed, I pick up a small carton of scrambled eggs and a fork and hand it to the Kid. She gives a small smile and sits on the floor, legs crossed, eating her breakfast. The top I got her is slightly big, but the jeans fit fine.



Its weird how the situation changed in a matter of a night, from letting the kid sleep in my bed, to her nearly dying on the bathroom floor. But that Kid, I can’t put my finger on it. There's something about her, maybe it’s her mutation; don’t really know what it is. Maybe she can control people’s feelings, who knows. But for now I’m not going to worry about that, just gonna eat my breakfast and pray we make it to the safe house by the end of the night.