Author's Chapter Notes:
So, umm Hi remember me? So I'm sort of back. This chapter has been sitting in my computer for a few months but I just haven't had the time to post. Sorry about that.
WARNING: This chapter is NOT beta read, any mistakes are due to my dyslexia, so sorry.
The smell of the air has change, there’s going to be some more snow, like we need anymore. It’s thanks to the snow that I can’t find the turn off point in the road to reach the safe house. Now I’m a man of the north, and don’t get me wrong I like the snow but sometimes it can be a real pain in the ass at covering up entrances, like now for example.

“Well according to the map, we should be there by now,” Jubilee said, the ‘back seat driver’. She took it upon herself to read off the last of the direction leading to the safe house, guess she’s trying to make up for the whole ‘nearly killing the Kid’ bit. It’s good that she’s trying to take on some responsibilities; however inflicting others upon said responsibility decision is not what I would call helpful.

“Are you sure you read that thing right?” I’ve caught her a few times just starting at the map, willing it to tell her where to go. “Yes I’m sure! Scott taught us how to read maps and navigate and stuff. It should be just here!” she said pointing out the window. Having a look though all I could see was a long group of trees, no path way.

Reaching behide me, I grab the map from Jubilee’s hands and place it on the steering wheel, “Hey!” a cry of protects from her, but I just ignore her and look at the map. Looking at the map just made things worse, it was the wrong way, she had been reading the map the wrong way round. A grawl escapes my lips.

Switching gears, I turn the car round and head back in the other direction, “Logan? What you doing?” I look at Jubilee in the mirror, giving her a death look. “You had the fucking map the wrong way round you twit. Now we have to back track a whole days driving to find the right fucking road. How thick are you really? I swear even the Kid could read a fucking map how is it that you just fail at everything you do?” I know that was low but right now I just don’t care. It’s like she’s design to fail at EVERYTHING she does, why is she even on the junior team? Jubilee doesn’t say anything just turns her head to look out the window.

The road ahead is clear, so I pick up speed trying to make up for lost time. No one in the car is talking, Jane and John were holding hands and just staring into space, Mike looked like he was falling asleep, Jubilee was still staring at the window, and the Kid, was sitting in the front seat, she seemed peaceful just sitting there.

I continue to pick up speed, and stare at the road head, thinking. Thinking about how much life can change within a week. In the space of a week, I’d lost; well I guess you could call them family, a real home, and a safe place. And gained a bunch of snotty kids who don’t know their up from their down. And I’m the one who gets to baby sit them.

What’s that?

The smell of fear suddenly pick up, rising rapidly. Looking in the mirror there’s nothing abnormal happening at the back of the car, they all seem to be the same. Taking another sniff of the air, I turn to look at the Kid, she staring straight ahead, but her eyes were wide open and her hands were curled into small white fists.

She didn’t move, didn’t blink, for a moment it looked like she didn’t even breathe, just kept staring at nothing. Reaching over, I give the Kid a quick shake. “Hey, you alright? Come on Kid snap out of it,” I keep shaking her hoping for a reaction but got nothing in return.

“Come on Kid, snap out of it,” still no response.

“Logan, she okay?” Jubilee asked leaning round the chair to look at the Kid. “I’m not sure, maybe -” the Kid suddenly snaps out of whatever it was and turned her head to face me.

“LOOK OUT” she screams at me, quickly turning back to the road, there on my side of the road, was a large truck heading our way. Reacting quickly, I slam my foot onto the break and turn the wheel. You know in a movie, where everything goes into slow motion? Well that’s what happening right now, the car starts to spin out of control, narrowly missing the truck and hitting the ditch at the side of the road.

The car hit the edge of the road and started too flipped over, as the car continued to flip everyone in the car screamed, everyone but one. I couldn’t help it, as the car flipped I just looked at her, the Kid. All she did was hold onto her doll and stared at me. I could see the fear in her eyes; I stare back at her mirroring the look in her eyes. We hit another bump which sends the car higher into the air; the screams get louder this time reacting. I lean over to the passage seat and cover the Kids body with my own, locking my arms around her. It seems like we were rolling forever, though it couldn’t be more than a few seconds, with a jolt, we stop rolling, hitting the bottom of the hill, right side up.

It was quiet, not a sound could be heard, no screaming, no sounds from the forest, nothing.

Lifting my head, I look down at the Kid, she’s nestled her head into my chest her small hands gripping onto my arms making sure she’s as close to me as possible. I look round the car to check on the others, Jane and John are holding onto each other but seem to be quit calm now, Mike’s placed his hands on the roof and the side of the door to brace impact, and Jubilee is lying unconscious against a shattered window.

“Jubilee!”

Unbuckling my seat belt, I kick open my door and ran round to the other side of the car. I yank on the door handle but it doesn’t open, after a few more tries the door finally opens, and Jubilee falls into my arms.

“Jubilee! Come on Jubilee wake up,” blood was trickling down the side of her head as she lay unconscious in my arms. “Here take this,” I look to see Mike holding out his shirt from me. “Place it on her head, to stop the bleeding,” doing as instructed I place the shirt to the wound on her head and place pressure to it.

It was just like being in the car, time was moving slowly, I could hear Jubilee’s heart beat which was slow but steady, which was a good sign I hoped. Looking up from her, everyone had gotten out of the car and circled around use. The car was a wreck, the roof and one of the doors had been pushed in, the back windows had been smashed, and the whole backend had be crushed in, it was a miracle we were still alive.

“She’ll wake up,” a little voice said, I turn my head to look at the Kid, she’s standing next to Jubilee’s head looking down at her. “She’ll wake up soon,” she sounded so sure of herself, that Jubilee would wake up. But how could she be sure, Jubilee’s lost a lot of blood and that’s a bad bump on her head.

“Logan, what are we going to do, the car is wrecked, we are in the middle of nowhere, and we have no way of contacting anyone,” Mike was panicking now, pasting backwards and forwards.

“Urg-my head, did anyone get the number of the truck that hit me.”

“Jubilee!” Everyone yelled at the same time.

“OW, my head, you guys mind keeping it down” everyone crowded round her as she opened her eyes. The Kid stood back though, just looking at the group. “Here Mike take her for a sec will yah,” carefully handing Jubilee into his large arms. He places an arm around to support her body and gently strokes the hair away from her face. “Thanks big guy,” Jubilee says smiling back up at him.

Standing from the damp floor, I walk over to her Kid. Picking her up and placing her on a large stump. I look her dead in the eyes making sure I’ve got her full attention, the smell of fear rolls of her in waves.

“Listen Kid I’m not going to hurt you, but I wanna know how did you know all that stuff was gonna happen? And that Jubilee would wake up?” She turns her head away from me breaking the contact; she doesn’t say a word just looks down at her teddy.

“I told you I wasn’t gonna hurt you, you can trust me,” I hear her whisper into her teddy “I can’t trust anyone; he said everyone wants to hurt me.”

“Who said? Come on Kid I’m here to protect you not hurt you,” but she doesn’t say another word, just clings onto her teddy.

“It’s okay Kid, I just hope that one day you’ll trust me enough to tell me,” I pick her up from the stump and hold her to my side so that her legs wrap around my body and walk back over to the group.

“Logan what we gonna do now man? The car is trashed and we are in the middle of NOWHERE,” Mike screams throwing his empty arm out to etherize his point.

“We can fix that,” the twins said in unison. We all turn to look at them, but they are now facing the car holding hands. They each hold out the other arm towards the car, after a few minutes nothing seems to be happening.

*CRANK, CRANK*

The car starts to move, twisting and groaning as the twins used their powers to shape the wrecked car back to its normal shape. After some more groaning from the car, the twins turned round to face the group.

“Um-, well that’s just great. But will it work? Also how are we gonna get it out from here?” Mike asked to no one in particular. Still holding the Kid, I walk over to the still dented car and lifted the hood. Inspecting the damage to the engine, making sure it will at least start. I came to the conclusion that the engine would last, as long as it wasn’t put under too much strain. Slamming the hood down, I turned back to the group.

“It’ll do for now. But it will need fixing up once we’re at the safe house. Jane, John do you think you could lift the car back onto the road?” I asked the twins. They share another look between each other, than join hands again.

Just like before, everything went quiet as we stood waiting to see what would happen. The car started to creak and groan like before, but this time the car started to rise into the air. Within a blink of an eye, the car rose up the side of the hill and placed back onto the empty main road. The twins turn towards to the group, raising their hands into the air, the ground beneath their feet suddenly disappeared leaving them all suspended in mid air. Looking down at my feet I see the ground moving farther away as they lifted the group higher, the Kid was practically clawing my skin off as she tried to hold herself tighter to me so that she wouldn’t fall.

Now I’m no chickening, but the thought of floating through the air scared the shit out of me. Let’s just say I was more than grateful when my feet landed back on solid ground again. Looking around the group, the look of relief was mirrored in all of their eyes, at least now we could finally get somewhere. Simultaneously we all moved back to the dent car, Mike carefully moved with Jubilee still in his arms and placed her in the middle of the back seat and slide in next to her. Making sure she was strapped in, Mike placed an arm around her, Jubilee shifted so that her head now rested in the nock of Mike’s next.

I walked over to the front passenger side and placed the Kid back into her seat, however the Kid was reluctant to let go. Her hands were wound so tight around my neck; I thought I would need a crowbar to get her off me.

“It’s alright Kid, you can let go off me now,” but she still refuses, just kept shaking her head from side to side.

“Kid, you kind of need to let go so that we can get moving again,” still nothing.

Turning my head slightly so that my mouth was just above her ear, I whisper gently, “How about this, you let go and when I’m in the driver’s seat you can lean into how’s that?” That seemed to do it, slowly the Kid realised me from her death grip just enough to look up at me with big doe eyes.

“You promise?” she whispered so quietly, that even my hearing had trouble picking it up.

“Yah Kid, I promise,” with those simple words, she realised me complete and sat back into her chair. Before closing her door I make sure she’s strapped in nice and tight, I then headed to my side of the car, checking out the damage to the front of the car as I passed it. The radiator was hissing under the hood, the grill was dented all over the place, and one of the head lights was shot. But the kids did a good job in getting most of damage out.

Settling back behide the wheel of the car, I look around the cab making sure that everyone has their seat belts on, as I turn back to face the front the Kid catches my eye. She looks edgy, unsettled, can’t really blame her after what’s happen, without a second glance I reach over to the Kid and pull her to my side, at first she is a stiff as a board but then relaxes.

Now here’s the part I’ve not been looking forward to, seeing if the engine will turn over, or just explode from the damage it took on the fall, I’m praying for the first one.

“Here goes nothing,” I say, reaching for the key which is still in the slot. Turning it, the car tries to start up, but just cuts out a few seconds later.

“Damn it!” I whisper under my breath, and try again, but as before it cuts out after a few seconds. After several more tries the car still refuses to start.

“Come on you stupid son of a-“turning the key again, and cursing seems to do the trick, as the engine finally turns over and starts properly. From the smell of relief coming from everyone in the car, looks like I wasn’t the only pleased it worked.
Chapter End Notes:
So what do you guys think? I was gonna add more to it, but I though that was a good place to leave you. Comments are always welcome. :D