Those words that you said to me,
why wasn't I listening?
I wish I hadn't met you at all
I started thinking

* * * *
Logan's knuckles where white from his grip on the steering wheel. They had a good day's journey ahead of them – assuming that Sabretooth wouldn't pick up and move again. Marie had helped him load up the tuck as fast as they could, not wanting to waste any time. In their haste they had forgotten to grab the hand-held radios that Logan had salvaged from Abel's junk piles. He didn't want to turn back, but they were driving blind.
The radio in his truck didn't work, and neither of them had much to say. They had been driving in silence for over an hour and it was starting to grate on Marie's nerves. She no longer could watch the scenery pass by because the sun had set, but she kept her forehead resting on the cool glass of the window, watching the dark blurs fly past.
“So...” she sighed and peeked at Logan. “Where are we going, anyways?”
Logan was quiet, staring at the road ahead, then he shook his head slightly.
“Don't know for sure,” he admitted. Marie stared at him, her mouth open. She closed it, pursing her lips before she said anything.
“So... you don't know where we're going?” She asked, her tone a little sharp. Logan didn't respond. Marie felt her face flush with frustration.
“How are we supposed to find my son if we don't even know where we are going, Logan?” Her voice wavered, she struggled to keep herself composed. “We could be driving forever!”
“Look, I don't like this any more than you do,” he growled, “But don't you yell at me. I'm the only chance you have at finding him. Without me you'd be even more lost.”
“If it weren't for you none of this would have happened.”
Logan clenched the steering wheel. “Do you really believe that?”
“Yes, I do!” Marie shouted. “I was doing just fine until you showed up.”
“Well then,” Logan practically growled, “You'll be happy to hear that once this is done I'm out of here.”
Marie's heart clenched. She turned away, looking out the window again. “What else is new?”
“What?”
“Anytime things get rough, you're gone.” Marie's voice wavered. “You never stick around.”
Logan didn't reply. Up ahead an illuminated sign announced that a gas station was around the next bend. Marie noticed the speed decrease, but didn't say anything.

They pulled into the gas station and parked around the side of the building. Logan climbed out of the truck and slammed the door behind him. She watched him stalk over to a phone booth and pick up the receiver. Marie sighed and pushed her hair back. She sat in the cab, listening to the engine tick as it cooled off. After a moment she climbed out too and went into the store.

Inside she spotted a coffee machine in the corner. She filled two cups – adding sugar and cream to one. Browsing up and down the aisles, Marie snagged a bag of chips and headed to the counter.
“Will that be all?” the sleepy clerk asked, ringing in the items. Marie glanced around the store.
“No, wait.” She said, grabbing a package of beef jerky and tossing it on the counter. “Now I'm done.” She paid and carried the bag and coffee tray to the truck. Logan was sitting inside, not looking in her direction. Marie opened the passenger door and held out the tray.
“Got you some coffee.” She slid the tray along the seat and climbed in. She pulled out the beef jerky and handed it to him. He looked at it, then at her, his eyebrow raised.
“If you don't want it, then fine.”
Logan grabbed it as she was putting it back in the bag. He smirked as he opened it, and tossed a chunk in his mouth. “Thanks.”
“Listen,” Marie toyed with the plastic bag in her hand, “I'm sorry.”
Logan shrugged and started the truck. They pulled out of the station and drove off into the night again.


They were on their third stop for the night. Again, Logan was at the phone booth. Marie had long since cleared through the bag of chips and was currently trying to catch some sleep, but wasn't getting any luck. She watched Logan hang up and make his way back to the truck.
“So who are you calling?”
“Abel,” he tossed back the remainder of his cold coffee and cringed. “I thought you were sleeping.”
“Why are you calling him so often?”
Logan sighed, steering the truck back onto the road. “I'm making sure we're headed in the right direction.”
“Oh.”

Marie rested her head on the window and pulled the woolen blanket up around her shoulders. Outside, the sun was just beginning to make an appearance through the thick clouds that had obscured the moon the night before. She yawned and closed her eyes, letting the hum of the engine lull her to sleep.

She dreamed that she was running through a forest. She knew Jacob was up ahead, but she couldn't see him. She could make out a shadowed figure standing in a clearing. She slowed her pace, stopping at the edge of the tree line. It was Hank. His blue fur shone in the bright sunlight, and he turned to smile at her. Marie grinned and jogged to meet him.
As she got closer, his smile turned to a snarl. She paused.
“Hank?” His features changed, and he turned into Sabretooth. Marie stumbled back and fell on her behind. She watched as Sabretooth bounded off into the trees. She caught a glimpse of red flashing on her left. She turned to see Logan standing there, blood dripping from his extended claws. Kneeling at his feet was Jake. Jake looked up at Logan, all blond curls and big innocent eyes. Logan raised his arm into the air.
“No!” Marie shouted, “Logan, wait!”

A heavy hand on her shoulder woke her with a start.
“I'm just going to call Abe again...” Logan's eyebrows furrowed, “You gonna be okay?”
Marie swallowed and nodded, too shaken to speak. She watched Logan walk off to another phone at another building. This time they were at a diner. There were transport trucks lined up in the parking lot, and she could smell a mixture of grease and diesel wafting through Logan's open window.

When he returned, Marie was staring blankly out the windshield.
“Hey,” She nearly jumped out of her skin. “You wanna grab some grub?” He motioned to the diner. Marie nodded, unbuckling her seatbelt and climbing out of the truck.

Inside was loud and crowded. A pair of waitresses wove their way from table to table. Logan waltzed past the “Please Wait To Be Seated” sign and sat at the nearest booth. Marie followed him, avoiding the look that a waitress was giving her.
When the waitress made her way over to their table, Logan ordered the biggest breakfast on the menu. Marie asked for scrambled eggs and toast. As the waitress left, Logan shook his head.
“You know, you could use the weight, kid.”
“What?”
“You eat like a bird.”
Marie ignored his comment, reaching for a discarded newspaper on the empty table beside them. She flipped open to the second page, and was face-to-face with a photo of herself and Jacob. They were at the beach, Marie was holding her sun hat on her head, and Jake had iced cream smeared on his face. It was the picture that their neighbour, Sam, had taken during the long weekend before Jake went back to school.
Under the photo was an article describing how Marie hadn't shown up for work on Saturday, and that her house had been discovered in a “chaotic state” as they put it. There was a phone number listed for people to call in tips.
Marie laid the paper flat on the table so that Logan could see it, too. His mouth turned into a grim line, and he folded the paper shut hastily.
“If they get wind of this, they might pick up and move again.” Logan's eyes darted around the room. No one was paying attention to them.
“Abel says they've been staying in the same spot – but it isn't just Sabretooth there. He doesn't know the other mutants, but he says he's sensed them with Sabretooth before.”
“The brotherhood.” Marie breathed.
“Most likely.”
“How does Abel know Sabretooth? How can he pick him out?”
“They know each other.” Logan scanned the room again. “Abel can pick up on signatures that he is familiar with more than with someone he doesn't know.”
Marie was about to ask something else when their food arrived. She ate a few bites before glancing up at Logan. He had all senses tuned on his food – there wasn't a point in striking up a conversation with him any time soon. Marie tapped at her plate with her fork a few times and stood up, grabbing her purse. Logan glanced up at her.
“Just going to the bathroom,” she said.

She made her way to the bathrooms, but stopped at the pay phone. She pulled out her wallet and flipped through the papers crammed into the bill fold. Fishing out an old, worn business card, she looked over her shoulder. Logan had his back turned to her, and he seemed to still be eating. Marie fed some coins into the phone and dialed the number on the card.
“We're sorry, this number is no longer in service-”
She hung up and cursed. Running her fingers through her hair, she blew out a deep breath and picked the receiver up again. She dialed a new number and fed more coins into the slot. This time a young woman answered after two rings.
“Thank you for calling Xavier's Institute For-”
“Listen, I don't have a lot of time,” Marie cut her off, “can you tell me how to get a hold of Hank McCoy?”
“Sure, one moment, please.” Marie was put on hold, piano music played softly in the background, it was almost impossible to hear over the chattering of the other customers. Marie glanced back at Logan, he was still eating.
“Hank McCoy speaking,” A deep baritone voice greeted.
“Hank, it's Marie.”
“Marie! It's been quite a long time, how have you been?” She could almost hear his smile.
“Things aren't so great right now,” Marie explained, “Listen, I need to ask you something.”
“Go ahead, dear.”
“Did you ever tell anyone about me? Or Jake?”
“Not a soul, why do you ask?”
Marie chewed on her lip. A recording came on telling her to insert more money. She slid in another few coins.
“Marie?” Hank's voice sounded worried.
“Sabretooth found us,” she gripped the receiver tighter, “He took Jake. Logan is helping me, but I need to know...” she trailed off.
“Logan?”
“I don't have a lot of time to explain.” Marie shifted uncomfortably.
“We can come help you right away, you know that. Just tell us where you are.”
“I- I can't. Hank, I have to go.” Marie was barely keeping the tears back. “Just tell me if you know where we can find them.”
“Give me some time, I'll see what I can do.”
“I'll call you back,” She promised.
“It was nice to hear from you,” Hank's rich voice made her chest tighten. “Take care, alright?”
Marie smiled, “You too.”

She hung up and took a deep breath in and out. She turned and came face to face with Logan.
“Jesus!” She cried, “Damnit, stop doing that!”
Logan just scowled.
“Here's your food.” He thrust a styrofoam container at her, “I'll be in the truck.”
Marie watched him turn and storm off through the restaurant. What the hell?

Inside the truck, Logan's mood didn't seem to have settled any. Marie thanked him several times for her food, but he completely ignored her. They drove for quite some time before he cleared his throat. Marie looked up from the styrofoam container she had been picking at. Little bits of white foam were scattered about her lap.
“So, what did Hank have to say?”
“Uh,” Marie picked at the container, “nothing really. I'm going to call him back tonight.”
“I thought you said no one else knew about your kid?”
Marie flicked the styrofoam bits away. “Just Hank knew. He gave me a place to stay when I left the mansion. I lived with him for over a year before making my way up here.”
Logan felt something twinge inside of him. He drove on without asking any more questions. In his mind he could picture Hank in a large apartment downtown some place. All modern furniture and white fluffy carpets. Picturing Marie there, holding a baby and smiling up at him, it made him tick. Hank was much too old for her.

He pulled off of the main road around noon. He drove down a dirt path into a clearing and parked the truck in the shade of some towering spruce trees. Marie climbed out of the truck and stretched. Looking around, she noticed there wasn't any buildings around, nor were there any phone lines.
“Logan?”
“Gotta catch some sleep,” he explained. He laid down on his back in the grass and was out a moment later. Marie stared at him for a moment before surveying the area around them again. The dirt path they had driven down continued deeper into the trees before bending out of sight. Marie flicked a mosquito away, and then another. Frustrated, she headed back for the truck and climbed back in. Logan could get himself eaten alive if he wanted, she was going to nap inside the truck.
She stretched out across the bench seat and drifted off to sleep.

* * * *

When Logan woke a few hours later, he climbed into the truck, waking Marie. He started the engine and pulled back onto the road. They drove on, Marie watched as houses began popping up along the side of the road. They drove through a densely populated area, stopping only once before passing through. A sign cropped up pointing them in the direction of an outcropping looking out over the large body of water that had appeared beside the road. Logan pulled into the parking lot and stopped.
Climbing out, Marie eyed a tall statue of a man. His one leg was skeletal, and his arms were bent at the elbows – giving him the appearance that he was running. She stepped closer to read the inscription, but Logan's voice caught her attention.
“South? For fuck sakes!” Logan growled, “The only thing south of us is water!” He listened a little bit longer and then spoke up again, “Well obviously your sense of direction is off, old man.” He slammed the receiver onto the hook and stalked back towards her. Marie watched him, not saying anything.
His mood had been sour since that morning at the diner. Marie had puzzled over it in the truck, but couldn't place what was bothering him. The most reasonable thing that Marie could come up with, in Logan's terms of reason, was that he was jealous that she had turned to someone else for help. Marie snorted and watched him chew on his cigar, leaning on the hood of his truck. The day had turned overcast some hours ago, threatening rain – but they hadn't seen any yet. Maybe the weather was making him be in such a foul mood?
“I'm going to call Hank, see if he knows anything.” Marie said. Logan spit out a cloud of smoke and turned away. She stepped across the gravel parking lot to the phone. She dialed and pushed in a handful of coins. The same girl answered this time, and again Marie asked to be transferred to Hank. She made a mental note to ask for his private number so she wouldn't have to waste money being on hold.
“Hank speaking,” he greeted.
“Hey Hank, it's me again.” Marie shifted her weight to her other foot. “Have you found anything out yet?”
“Yes, just give me a moment.” She heard some clicking on his end of the line and assumed he must be typing something. She waited impatiently, tapping her finger on the cold Plexiglas walls of the booth.
“Hank?”
“Marie...” He paused, then sighed. “I haven't a record for Sabretooth's location,” he admitted, sounding ashamed.
“Then, what are you doing?” Marie clenched her jaw. “Hank?
“Marie,” Hank pleaded, “Let us help you. As a team we could find Jacob in a much more efficient manner-”
“Hank, please.” Marie plead, “can't you give me anything?”
Hank was silent for a moment. “There have been some unexplained fires up in the northwest area of Ontario.”
“John,” Marie breathed.
“Now, I'm not saying that much. We don't know what is causing them. But the most recent was near Dorion.”
“Where's that?”
“It's not too far from Thunder Bay.”
“Great, thanks so much-”
“Marie, let us help you.”
“Hank, I'm going to hang up now.”
“We miss you.” He was clinging at straws, trying to appeal to her emotional side.
Marie smiled. “I miss you too, Hank. I miss everyone there. But please, don't help me.” She hung up without another word. Marie pushed her way out of the booth and glanced toward the truck. Logan wasn't there. She caught a glimpse of him wandering off towards the tree line.
“Logan?” She called out, but he ignored her and moved out of her line of sight. She shook her head and made her way to the railing at the edge of the lookout. The sun was setting behind the flat grey clouds, and the wind was picking up. She looked out over the water for some time, losing herself in her thoughts.

The crunch of footsteps on the gravel drew her attention. She turned, expecting to see Logan. Instead a man stood not far from her. His light hair ruffled in the breeze.
“Rogue,” he chuckled. “I didn't expect to see you here. Not this early, I mean.”
Marie watched him warily. “John?” Time had changed him, he no longer had the devilish look of a teenage trouble maker. Instead his face had hardened. A pink scar marred his left cheekbone, drawing attention to the dark circles under his eyes. His hair was a little longer, blowing wildly in the breeze.
She watched him flick his fingers, igniting a ball of flame around his hand.
“It's been a long time since anyone has called me that.” He admired the flames dancing around his fingers.
“Why are you here?” Marie asked, not taking her eyes off of him.
He chuckled, “To collect you, of course.” His eyes flashed. “We can do this the easy way, or the hard way.”
Marie held his gaze. The wind turned, sending her hair flying into her face. In the distance she heard Logan roar. She caught John's smirk growing wider.
“Take me to my son,” Marie demanded. “And leave Logan out of this.”
John nodded and sent a ball of flame hurtling towards the truck. It burst into flames.
“John!” Marie cried.
“Relax, babe.” He grabbed her wrist and led her away. He held his shirt collar up and murmured into it. He pulled her towards a beaten up two-door car and tossed her in the back seat. He climbed into the passenger side and waited. A moment later, a woman climbed into the driver's seat. She started the car and pulled away. When they reached the highway, her form shifted to a blue-skinned beauty.
“Mystique.” Marie said, surprised. Mystique didn't acknowledge her at all.
“Did you really have to blow up the truck?” she asked John. He just grinned and flexed his fingers.

They drove a short while before coming upon a concealed dirt road. Mystique guided the car through the bushes a short distance and stopped. They stepped out, then let Marie climb over the seats.
“She's not cuffed.” Mystique growled.
John shrugged. “She came willingly.”
“Cuff her anyways.” Mystique disappeared into the trees. Marie turned to John and held out her hands.
“Sorry, babe. Boss' orders.” He pulled out a pair of cuffs from his inner coat pocket and clipped them on her wrists. He led her in the direction that Mystique had headed. A helicopter came into view up ahead. The trees thinned, and stepping into the clearing where the helicopter was, Marie could make out several torn up stumps scattered around.
“You knew I would follow you?” She was surprised. John just smiled and led her to the bulking machine.
“After you m'lady,” he chuckled. Marie climbed up and was grabbed on the shoulders by two strong hands. She cried out, but was pushed to the floor and pinned down before she could do anything else. She heard a purr above her, and spotted the clawed fingers grasping her.
“Sabretooth,” Marie spat, struggling in his grasp.
“Cut that out,” Mystique called from the pilot's seat. “We need her in good condition. Eric told us not to harm her.” Sabretooth grunted and let Marie go. She struggled to her feet, having a hard time because of her shackled wrists. Sabretooth pushed her into a seat and buckled her in.
“You smell like the runt,” he sneered. “Going to have to do something about that.” Marie shrunk away from him.
“Leave her alone,” John flicked his fingers, igniting a flame. Sabretooth turned on him and snarled.
The blades of the helicopter came to life, whirring loudly as they increased momentum. Marie felt them rise hesitantly into the air. Sabretooth and John still faced each other. After a moment, Sabretooth snarled again and left to sit in the front with Mystique. Marie watched John put out his flame and sit beside her.
“No worries,” he said, crossing his leg over his other knee. “We'll be there in no time.”
“And then what?”
John grinned and looked at her. “You'll see.”

* * * *
Make Up Your Mind – Theory of a Deadman