Turn away
From the shame of your life
Feel the light from my eyes
Offering consolation tonight


* * * *

Jacob

After polishing off his second peanut butter and jam sandwich, Jake flopped down on the couch and turned on the television. The usual after school shows were on, nothing interesting – but he watched anyways because he had nothing else to do. It was Friday, meaning he had the whole weekend ahead of him. His mom had said she'd take him to the movies this weekend, but their plans fell through so often he tried to avoid getting his hopes up. They were supposed to go tonight, but a note on the counter told him that she was sorry, they'd have to go Saturday.

Spongebob was on when he heard his mom opening the front door. That's odd, he thought, Mom is usually at work much later than this. He watched from the couch as she peeked around the corner.
“Jake, honey?” She smiled. She crossed the room, and sat down on the couch beside him. She wrung her hands nervously.
“What's wrong, mom?” He asked, watching her eyes shift from him to the doorway.
“There's someone I'd like you to meet.” She tried to smile, but it didn't reach her eyes.
“Who is it?” He was curious. His mom didn't date. At least, not as far as he knew. Who could it be?
His mom stood up and paced back over to the front door. Jake rose from the couch, but didn't follow her. A man walked into the room. He was tall, really tall. He had to stoop to avoid hitting the door frame. His long blond hair was pulled back, and he had a trimmed beard that was shaved clean only on his chin. His eyes were dark, and he wore a smirk on his face that Jake couldn't decipher.
“Mom?” Jake eyed the man step closer to his mother.
“Jake,” his mom said, placing a delicate hand on the man's chest. “This is Victor.” She took a deep breath, and let it out. “He's your father.”
Jake's eyes widened and looked from his mother, back to the man. Victor's smirk widened, revealing his fangs, and he nodded slightly. Jake's heart was pounding, and he stepped back away from them. He heard glass breaking in the kitchen, and he turned in time to see a man with wild dark hair jump at Victor. The pair of them fell into the living room, crashing into a heap on the floor. Victor let out a roar and swiped at the dark haired man. Jake backed into the corner and felt two cold hands grasp his upper arms. He cried out, but turned and saw his mother standing behind him. She opened her arms and he clung to her. They were soon out in the cool air outside, Jake held onto his mother as she raced him into the trees behind their house.
He pressed his face into her chest, closing his eyes to the dark blurs passing by. They slowed to a stop, and his mother put him down. They were standing in front of a dark helicopter. He watched, speechless, as his mother casually opened the door and ushered him inside. He climbed in, and looked around.
“Cool!” He exclaimed, “Mom, I didn't know we had a helicopter!” She smiled weakly.
“It's Victor's. Well, Victor's father's.... your grandfather.” Jake admired the switches on the dashboard.
“Darrel is going to be so jealous when I tell him!” Jake's grin was spread ear-to-ear. He heard his mother breath a sigh of relief, and soon after Victor climbed into the helicopter.
“Let's get out of here,” his mother said.
“Oh, boy! Are we going for a ride?” Jake was excited – his childish enthusiasm distracting him from the events back at the house. He jumped into the co-pilot's seat and reached for the headset. He heard a low growl and looked up to see Victor's dark eyes glaring at him. Jake surrendered the headset and slunk back to the passenger seats in the back.

It was too dark for him to see anything when they landed, but his eyes were heavy and he couldn't stifle his yawns. They had flown for hours in relative silence, and there was nothing for him to do but look out the window into the dark wilderness. When they landed he stayed curled up with his head resting on the window.
“Here,” his mother picked him up and held him to her, “let's get you to bed.” He fell asleep in her arms almost instantly.
Marie carried him through the building, upstairs, into a bedroom. She laid him on the bed and tucked him in. She turned and left the room, closing the door behind her.
“What next?” Sabretooth asked. Mystique resumed her blue-skinned form and met his gaze.
“We fly back out to meet them,” she turned and walked away, swishing her hips. She heard Victor's appreciative growl behind her, but ignored him.

* * * *

Sunlight filtered in through the yellow curtains, casting a warm glow in the room. Jake rolled over, sitting up in the bed. His eyes roamed the unfamiliar room, without giving him a clue as to where he was. The room was bigger than his bedroom at home. He was in a bed just under the window, opposite the closed door. Along one wall was a small grey couch, facing a set a drawers. There was a coffee table between the two, and a nightstand that had a lamp sitting on it was nestled beside the bed. He stretched and swung his legs over the side of the bed. He was examining the empty drawers when someone knocked on his door. He closed the drawers and jumped back on the bed. The door opened, revealing his mother.
“Mom!” Jake squealed. He jumped off the bed, ran to her and wrapped his arms around her waist. “Mom, where are we? What is going on? When are we going home?” His mother smiled and returned his hug.
“We're going to be staying here for a while.” Marie explained. Jake's shoulders slumped and he pulled away.
“But, I want to see my friends...”
His mom placed her hands on his shoulders.
“Jake, I need you to be a big boy for me, alright?” She searched his face, worry creasing her brow.
“What's wrong?”
She chewed on her lip and averted her gaze. “I have to go away for a while.”
“What?” Jake clung to her bare arms. “Don't leave me here alone!” His mom stood and took his hand.
“It'll be okay, there are lots of people here to keep you company.”
“Mom!”
A man appeared in the doorway. He stood proud, his shoulders squared and his chin raised. His hair was silver and was thin around the top of his head. His eyes were ice-blue, but the crinkles around his eyes made them seem warmer when he smiled.
“Ah, Jacob.” He stepped into the room, “So nice to finally meet you.” He extended his hand, and grasped Jacob's small fist. The old man's hands were warm, but had a rough texture. Jake looked up at him and squared his own shoulders. The old man chuckled met Marie's eyes.
“He reminds me of his father,” he laughed and ruffled Jacob's hair.
“Who are you?” Jake pulled away and tried to flatten his hair. The man's smile grew and he crouched down to Jake's eye level.
“Why Jacob, don't you remember your own grandfather?”
Jacob shook his head.
“Well, it's been a long time.” The man pulled something out of his pocket and handed it to Jake. “I've been saving this for you.”
Jacob admired the silver pocket watch in his hand. It's surface was smooth and polished. He opened it, on one side was a photo and the other was the watch. The photo was slightly faded, but it was of his mother and the man he had met last night – the one that had claimed to be his father. His mother was smiling, looking at the man - while he seemed to be gazing into Jacob's eyes. He had his arms around his mother, and his expression was serious.
Jacob admired the photo a moment before noticing that the second hand was not moving.
“It's broken,” he felt disappointed.
“Is it?” His grandfather took the watch back and examined it for a moment. He then handed it back to Jacob. “It seems to be working just fine.”
Jacob looked again, and grinned. The second hand was making it's way around the clock.
“How'd you do that?”
The man winked. “Magic.”
Jacob closed the watch and clutched it in his hand. “Thank you,” he played with the chain. “Thank you, very much.”
The man stood and nodded at Marie.
“Would you like to come see the rest of my home, Jacob?”
Jake looked from his mother, to his grandfather. His stomach growled and he frowned. The man smiled at him. “We can get something to eat first.” He suggested.
“Alright. Can mom come with us?”
“I'm going to go get ready,” his mom motioned to the door. She hugged the man and gave him a kiss on the cheek.
“It's nice to see you again, Erik. Thank you for taking us in.”
“Any time,” he replied.
Jake's mom bent and gave him a long hug and a kiss as well.
“Mooom,” Jake whined. She laughed and kissed him on the forehead.
“I'll be back before you know it.” She promised. She stood and left the room without looking back. Jake looked up at Erik, and Erik looked down at him.
“Do you like pancakes?” Erik asked. Jacob grinned and nodded. “Then let's go.” He headed out the room, with Jacob following beside him.

* * * * * * * * * *

Marie

The bench she sat on was cold and hard, made entirely of metal. She shifted uncomfortably and eyed John again. He was leaning on the wall opposite her, arms crossed and head bent to stare at the polished tiled floor.
They were in a small, cold, damp room. There were no windows, and Marie assumed they were underground. The area was lit by harsh fluorescent lighting, one of the bulbs flickered constantly.
“Could you at least bring me something more comfortable to sit on if you're going to insist on keeping me here?”
“He should be here soon,” John assured her. This wasn't the first time he had said that. She groaned. They had been sitting here for the better part of an hour, and she had not spotted another person the entire time.
Marie had been blindfolded on the helicopter shortly before landing. She had protested, earning her a slap in the face. She had heard a struggle after that, between John and Sabretooth she assumed. When they landed she had been led inside, down several flights of stairs and through a long series of hallways before ending up here. John had removed her blindfold shortly after, but she still hadn't convinced him to take off the handcuffs.
John startled and shoved his hand into his pocket. Marie watched him pull out a cellphone and step a few paces away before answering. He spoke in a hushed voice, but she heard his tone get urgent at the end. He slapped the phone shut and cursed.
“What's wrong?” Marie asked. John ran a hand through his hair, pushing it off his face. His eyes darted to the door, and Marie heard footsteps approaching.

“Pyro!” Magneto's voice boomed. John jumped and straightened his posture. The door burst open and Magneto stood in the frame. John stood in the same place, his body stiff.
“What on earth is going on here?” Magneto eyed Marie. “Why is she down here?”
“Mystique said-”
“Don't listen to that fool.” Magneto scolded. “Now get out of here and prepare the guest room for our guest.” John nodded and fled the room. Marie rose from the bench and squared her shoulders.
“Erik,” she greeted him coldly.
“It's been a long time, my dear.” Magneto stepped closer. Marie tried not to flinch under his gaze. “I'm sorry these fools have brought you down here.” He said in a kind voice. Marie eyed him suspiciously, but did not say anything. “You were meant to be a guest here, not a prisoner.” He grasped her hands gently, willing the handcuffs to loosen themselves so he could pull them off.
“Where is my son?” Marie growled, snatching her hands back.
Erik's jaw clenched for a moment before he forced a smile.
“He's safe.” He assured.
“Take me to him.”
Erik shook his head. “I can't. Not yet.” He turned and headed back to the open door. “I have a proposition to make. I'm sure you'd love to hear me out.”
Marie followed him out of the room, down towards an elevator. Magneto held out his hands and the doors opened with a groan. He stepped inside and waited patiently for Marie to follow. She glanced up and down the long hallways, they were empty. The only open door was the one that led into the room they had come from. Her best option seemed to be to just follow him for the time being. She stepped into the elevator as well. Magneto motioned his hands, and the doors shut again. They began moving up – Marie noticed that there was no panel of buttons to select which floor to go to. Magneto smirked and the elevator slowed to a stop. A flick of his wrist opened the doors.

This floor was the complete opposite of where she had just been. The hallway was carpeted in a rich purple and navy blue, and the walls were ornate panels and striped wallpaper in cream and gold. She stepped out and followed him down the hall. It rounded a corner and opened up into a wide open area. There were white leather couches and dark glossy wood tables, forming several individual seating areas. There was a bar in the corner nearest them, stocked with bottles of all shapes and colours. Soft piano music filled the room, but Marie couldn't see any speakers.
“What's wrong?” Erik asked, taking in her awed expression.
“Nothing, it's just -” Marie paused.
“Not what you'd expect from an evil mastermind?” Erik suggested. Marie nodded, earning a chuckle from Erik.
“My dear, I gave up on being the bad guy a long time ago.” He stepped over to the bar and grabbed a pair of glasses. He poured a rich red wine into one, and a dark gold liquid into the other. He handed her the wine and made his way over to the picture windows that spread an entire wall. Marie followed him and looked out.
Outside the sun was shining brightly, illuminating the coloured sea of leaves below. A river cut through the trees on her left, weaving slightly before curving out of sight behind a hill on her right.
“Beautiful, isn't it?” Erik asked, taking a sip from his glass. Marie nodded. Erik appreciated the view for a long time, while Marie shifted from foot to foot. Anxious for him to explain what was going on.
“Erik, why are you doing this?” Marie asked quietly. He didn't reply right away. He finished his drink and turned away. Marie followed him across the room, setting her full glass beside his empty one on a coffee table.
“Your son is has great potential,” He said slowly, lowering himself onto one of the couches and motioning for Marie to do the same. She perched on an armchair facing him and leaned forward.
“What do you mean?” She asked, still wary of him.
“The son of an untouchable woman and a feral super healer.” Erik said, looking at her. Marie's heart fluttered. She opened her mouth, but he cut her off.
“Don't try to deny it, child. I know the truth.”
Marie turned away from him, feigning interest in a painting hanging on the wall. Magneto sat silently, waiting for her to talk.

“How?” She asked, finally.
“I have my sources.”
Marie chewed on her lip, and turned to face him again.
“My son isn't a mutant.”
“Not yet,” Erik sighed, “but he will be soon. You know that.”
Marie nodded. Erik leaned forward and tented his fingers, elbows resting on his knees.
“I want to offer you a safe place to stay,” he explained. “A home where you no longer have to worry about bills or how you will afford your next meal.”
“If I wanted something like that I would have just went back to the Mansion.” Marie scoffed.
“No,” Erik paused, “I don't believe you would have.”
“I'd rather live with them than be here with you,” Marie's voice was cold.
“And have them know how the Wolverine humiliated you?” Erik asked, arching an eyebrow. “They would have talked behind your back the second you left the room.”
“They were my friends,” Marie argued.
“They were Jean's friends, dear. They all knew that he loved her, and not you.”
Marie's vision blurred with tears that she fought to keep back. Magneto pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to her. He sat quietly as she swiped at her eyes.
“What's in it for you?” She asked, sniffling.
“My dear, I just wish to redeem myself.” He stood and carried his glass to the bar. He poured another drink and returned to the couch. “I'm growing old,” He explained, “I want to right all the wrongs I've done while I still can.” He sighed.
For the first time Marie could see the deeper creases in his forehead. The way his eyes were sunken deeper, his cheeks a little more hollow. Marie felt her heart swell with pity.
“I'll have to think about it.” Marie said, quietly. “But please, take me to my son, Erik.”
Erik rose from the couch and Marie did the same.
“First, why don't you get some rest?” He suggested. “Take a shower, eat a nice meal. After that I will take you to your son.” Marie looked down at her clothes, noticing the mud crusting the cuffs of her pants. She probably smelt of sweat, and she knew her hair needed a good shampoo.
“Thank you, Erik.” She was embarrassed to be in such a state in front of him.
He just nodded and took her to her room.

* * * * * * * * * *

Logan

The waves lapped at the rocks on the shore. It was well into the night, but Logan had no where else to go. He hand wandered down to the beach to get some air that didn't smell like car exhaust. Logan was perched on a large boulder that had long ago fallen from the cliff up above to join the rocks below. His enhanced hearing picked up the wail of sirens and he shook his head. He should have warned Marie that something was up before stalking into the woods. He had hoped that Mystique was the only one there. There were so many scents in the area, but hers was one he wouldn't soon forget.
A strong breeze carried the scent of burning gasoline to him and he grimaced. His truck. Damn that girl had a bad habit of blowing up his trucks. His motorcycle had been left with Abel, luckily. He pulled his last cigar from his shirt pocket and chewed on it.
He had tried to follow Mystique, but she had climbed a tree and ambushed him from above. They were mid-struggle when he heard his truck burst into flames. His focus broken, Mystique had used her chance to slip away. He had chased after her, but had decided to run when police cars started approaching. This wasn't the time to be stuck in jail answering questions.
He heard the roar long before he spotted the lights from small black jet lowering from behind the clouds. It settled into the shallow water, and the stairwell lowered from the belly of the machine. A floodlight switched on, illuminating the area in a harsh white light. Logan stood, his expression wary. He watched a blue furry form leap gracefully out of the hatch, followed by a young woman with long brown hair. They both wore their dorky X-Men uniforms. It seemed that Hank had since gotten a new one – because this one actually fit.
“What are you doing here?” Logan growled, placing the unlit cigar back in his pocket.
Hank looked a little surprised, but a smile broke out on his blue face. “We've come to help.” Hank called, stepping closer and holding out his hand. “It's nice to see you, Logan.”
Logan just shook his head and turned away. “I don't have time for this,” he growled.
“They have Rogue,” the girl said.
“No shit! Why the fuck do you think I'm here alone?” Logan bared his teeth.
“Logan, please.” Hank attempted to calm him. Logan stalked away, his progress slowed by the uneven rocks that littered the ground.
“Logan you can't find her on your own.” The girl called after him. “We have the resources to track her down.” Logan continued on, ignoring them both. Hank leaped swiftly over the rocks, easily catching up to Logan. He slowed to Logan's pace beside him.
“We can find her, Logan.” He continued, “But we don't have the firepower to get her out.” Logan stopped and met Hank's eyes.
“I'm sure the X-Men can handle this. A school full of mutants and you don't have the fire power?” He scoffed, “Give me a break.”
Hank shook his head wearily. “You don't understand. The school is no more. We are but a shell of our former selves.” Logan stopped walking and turned to face Hank.
“After Charles' death, we haven't had the ability to find mutants as fast as he did – nor the resources to fund an entire school. Ororo is doing her best, but the students have dwindled away to almost nothing. Ororo, Kitty, myself – we are all that are left of the X-Men.”
Logan's gaze flickered to the woman standing on the beach. She had grown so much from the young teen he had tutored at the mansion that he hardly recognized her. Now he could pick out the familiar features – the high cheek bones, her small nose. She turned away from them, wandering out of the lamp's circle of light.
“What happened to the others?” Logan asked, his anger forgotten. Hank shook his head.
“It's too long a story, my friend. Let us get back into the jet so we can make some progress in finding Marie.”
Logan bristled at her name. Years ago, he was the only one that knew it. It was something small, but it made him feel like had had a tie to her that no one else had. Hearing Hank call her by that name inflicted something in Logan that he didn't quite understand. He followed Hank back to the jet and climbed inside after him.
The inside of this jet was smaller, meant to hold only a handful of people. It lacked the large seating area in the back that the older jet had, and Logan could see the signs of wear and tear inside. Kitty was already sitting in the co-pilot's chair, busying herself with the display screen. He climbed into a seat and tried to distract himself from the jerking motions the jet made as it rose into the air.

Once they were coasting smoothly among the clouds, Hank rose from the seat and walked back to sit beside Logan.
“Shouldn't you be flying this hunk of junk?” Logan asked.
“This jet is equipped with an automated-”
“Spare me the technical mumbo-jumbo.” Logan growled.
Hank's strong, hearty laugh filled the room. “Auto pilot.”
“Right.” Logan shifted in his seat. “So, how are we going to find Ma- Rogue?” He corrected himself, not wanting to hear Hank call her Marie again.
Hank nodded to a young girl sitting at the front with Kitty. Logan was surprised that he hadn't seen her.
“We call her Camo.” Hank grinned, flashing his teeth. “The fact that you didn't notice her isn't surprising. She is undetectable by any means when she wants to be.”
“I thought you said it was only the three of you in the X-Men.”
“She isn't an official member yet, but I felt that this would be an excellent opportunity to put her to the test.”
“I still don't understand how this is going to help us find Rogue.”
Hank chuckled, making Logan feel irritated. He didn't like being the butt of anybody's jokes.
“We had her sit in the car beside Rogue as Mystique and John drove her away.”
Logan looked back at the girl, his eyebrows raised. She wasn't more than thirteen. And that was pushing it.
“You sent her alone in a car with them?”
“And they didn't even notice her.” Hank held up a small hand held gadget. “She placed a tracking device on their helicopter. It should lead us straight to their hiding spot.”
“Then let's storm the joint and snatch her before they do anything to her.” Logan suggested.
Hank leaned back in his seat and turned the gadget over in his large hands.
“We have to find out more about what to expect before rushing in.” Hank explained, “We need a plan. Fools rush in-”
“Yeah, yeah.” Logan waved Hank away. Hank placed a hand on Logan's shoulder.
“We'll go in when the time is right.” He assured. “But until then we just have to wait.”
Logan shrugged Hank's hand away. “Keep your fuzzy mitts to yourself,” he growled. Hank took the hint and rose from the seat. He returned to the front of the ship and sat in his chair. Logan crossed his arms over his chest and settled into his seat. He was slowly drifting off to sleep, the adrenaline in his system finally wearing off.

“They didn't hurt her,” Camo said, startling Logan. He turned and saw that she was sitting where Hank had been not long ago.
“Listen, no more of that sneaky stuff around me, got it?” He leaned towards her and bared his teeth, “I don't like it.” Logan wasn't trying to be scary, but the poor girl looked a little pale.
“I'm sorry, sir. I didn't mean to.”
Logan stewed silently in his seat for a moment.
“Wait a minute, how did you get into the car with Rogue? Hank was still at the mansion when Marie called him.”
The girl blushed a little.
“Mr. McCoy sent me to follow you and Rogue after she called this morning. He wanted to make sure we could find you if you needed our help. He was picking me up at the beach, we didn't know you would be there, too.”
Logan glared at Hank, who sat facing the control panels. He was well within hearing range, Logan knew.
“Well if Mr. McCoy ever sends you to follow me again, you can tell him to mind his own fucking business.”
The girl looked shocked. Logan regretted swearing at the poor thing, but he continued to frown angrily. She nodded and swallowed nervously. Logan turned away from her and resumed his former position. He couldn't manage to fall asleep, but he pretended to so that no one else would talk to him.


* * * *
Rise - Disturbed
Chapter End Notes:
Gah, as soon as I figure out how to indent I am going back and fixing the chapters. Sorry if it is hard to read.