Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally together and all lovey dovey. There you are guys, have fun reading!

And once again, I own nothing at all, Stan Lee and Fox are in control... You know the song now, right?
“She shouldn’t be remembering anything, Charles…”

Voices echo from the Professor’s office as I walk down the corridor to get Marie’s stuffs. What’s going on in there?

“Yes, I know Hank, and that is what’s worrying me the most.”

“What do you mean?”

“She, indeed doesn’t remember, well not like you think she would. I’ve tried many times to follow her thoughts to their source, but it seems that the locks are still active and that those things I sensed in her didn’t directly come from her memories; because she has none. She doesn’t know who we are or what this place is. And it’s the same for Logan, she doesn’t know who he is.”

“But Charles… Oh dear God, could it be?”

“Yes my friend, it’s the baby. He’s the one who triggers all the locked up emotions, feelings and memories and brings them back to the surface. And I must confess that I fear the worst for Rogue right now. Her feelings for Logan being so deep, to my dismay, could join at anytime the ‘signals’ sent by the feelings her son transmits to her involuntarily, making her relive episodes from Logan’s past, sensing the very same emotions and fears.”

What? I thought she was okay, I thought that finally…

“But why? How could this be?”

“Well, Hank, Rogue’s feelings haven’t been completely erased like Jean thought she’d managed. But yet, Logan’s memories in Rogue’s mind once triggered will assault her the very same way they did the first time, and as Jean also put her away from controlling them again when she locked them away, Rogue might just face them but with no mental protection at all this time.”

“Which means…that her coma this time will be so deep that she might never wake up… Coma will be her shield, if not brain death. Oh, no. Are you sure that it is what you think it is, maybe there could be another way out for her? Artificial blocs could save her.”

Oh, no…Marie! Marie!!

“I’m afraid those kinds of blocs won’t be of any help, they need to come from her, and… There’s someone out there!”

“Logan.”

Xavier’s tired voice echoes both in my ears and in my mind and I take the little strength I still have after hearing all this to bring my three hundred pounds of andamantium in the now all blurry office. If anyone wanted to know how to finally fucking kill me, now they'd have a clue. Those two pampered guys are saying that my Marie might be… I just can’t think about it.

“Logan, you were there? Dear God, did you hear us?”

“Yeah, the coma stuff and all the shit; yeah, I did. What the hell is this all about?”

“We’re still not sure, Logan, but yes, Rogue is still somewhat in danger.”

“In danger? What kind? You said she was okay, that now she could go back to school. Just what kind of crap did you tell her?”

“I’m sorry, Logan, but I really thought that she was out of danger until I could finally sort out the origin of her triggered emotions.”

“Will she ever remember?”

“…”

“Just fucking great. So what’s wrong? What did that crazy witch do to her? I thought she was okay now, with the baby, I thought… I hoped…”

My voice is weak and broken and I feel the tears burning behind my eyelids.
Tears spilling on my face? I don’t give a shit. I really don’t give a shit.

“Logan, I’m sorry.”

A hand comes reaching out for me, I don’t want to be comforted, I want to shrug it away, but I can’t, I just can’t. So much for the big bad and much feared Wolverine. But I need to find a solution, we need to do something. I can’t stay there and say that I’m okay with all those atrocities. I’ll fight, even against myself.

“So what do we do now? We just sit here patiently and wait that she loses it?”

“No. Of course not. As much as I dislike admitting it, Rogue and you share a bond that few people, humans and mutants alike, are allowed to know even in a century of life. And I can recognize something valuable when I see it. Logan, I know, you’d give anything for Rogue, and hiding the truth now won’t serve anyone. I guess she needs you more than any doctor or psychic. She needs your love more than anything. If it is for you, we can hope that she will have the strength to fight and survive the traumas from your past, even without the mental blocs.”

“So what’s the deal, uh? I just go and tell her that ‘hey, you don’t remember, but I’m the one who did you almost half a year ago and put you through all the shit you’re going lately, so ready for round two?’ NO, I don't think so.”

“Logan, it’s true that Rogue doesn’t remember anything about you but her feelings are still inexplicably here, they’re deeply rooted in her, they are a part of her, even if she doesn’t realize it.”

If what Xavier said is right, then I still got a chance to save her. If I can reach her through her feelings and let her know that…

“Charles is right, Logan.” The blue doctor’s voice stops my train of thoughts. Damn him.

“What?” I spit venomously.

“Well, I also think that it would be better if you told her about everything, letting her know of this bond…”

“It is none of your damn business doc’, got it? If you guys had let me do things my way, she’d have known the truth for some time now.”

“If the Wolverine had done things my way, Rogue wouldn’t have ended in such a dangerous situation in the first place!”

“Charles…”

Old man got a point here. I know it’s my fault, but it’s just so fucking unfair! If I had left just like Xavier told me that night, they could have done something for her from the start. But I took her with me, and while I was cage fighting to make a living, she was struggling for a life I was stealing from her; and she was pregnant. I often wondered when exactly things went wrong, and now I think I know that it’s the day I let myself feel for her things I should not, when I took her in my arms back in that damn torch, hoping against hope that she'd breathe again, that she'd talk and smile to me again. Things went wrong long before I acknowledged my love for her, long before I knew that I was born for her and that I’d spent almost two hundred years waiting for her. But that wasn’t about me; that was all about her, about all the things I couldn’t be for her, about all the things I couldn’t mend in her life. She was my death, and I was supposed to be her life, but things definitely went wrong because I ended up being the one that is killing her, and she turned out to be the only one who could bring me back to life.

“Yes. True on the whole damn line, Chuck…”

“Logan, I didn’t mean to…”

“Yeah, you did. But that’s the truth anyway, isn't it? So what do we do?”

“You should go and find her now, before someone else does…”

“What do you mean?”



__________________________________________________________




Wow, this place is…huge! I mean, have you seen this room, it’s bigger than…well it’s the biggest thing I’ve ever seen! I have my personal bathroom, a queen size bed and a dressing as big as-well it seems-my former room! We’re going to be all so right here. And Logan will be just right next to us. I must admit I was a little unsure about things, you know, I don’t know this place after all, or many of the people living around here and having Logan this close kind of reassures me a great bit.

“You saw that James? This is our new home, I hope you like it as much as mommy. Look at that, hey, there’s room here for your bed, yes and here? Well, let’s see, got any idea?”

“Rogue?”

Oh, He’s back already?

“Yes, come in.”

Dr Grey? I didn’t recognize her voice…

“Good morning Rogue.”

“Good morning Dr Grey.”

“It’s good to have you back again. I won’t be long; I just wanted to welcome you back.”

Well, okay, if you want. I can’t help but sense that something is terribly wrong here, I just can’t seem to place it, though.

“Thank you Dr Grey, but, really you…”

“No, it’s okay. I wanted to see how you were settling down in your new environment, and I see that everything looks alright.”

“Yeah, the place is great; I think we’ll be good here.”

What’s this? It’s almost faint; it comes from James, again: pain, remorse and something that’s starting to scare the crap out of me. Oh. My. God. I need to get away from this place, now.

“Rogue, what’s wrong?”

You are wrong! Oh, GAWD, this flame in her eyes is just... James is tensing in my arms, he must be feeling something’s just about to happen. Run for your life Rogue!!

“I got to go, I have an appointment with the Professor, I’m sorry! I’m late and…”

“Rogue? Wait, where are you going, I’m not going to hurt you.”

Voices in my head, blurred images… I’m on a bed in a hospital room and Dr Grey is… Oh NO!

James opens wide golden eyes watching the doctor as she now looks like being in pain. Tiny blue veins appear on my baby’s face and I just know what he’s doing; he’s sucking her dry. Dr Grey is now on her knees, gasping and fighting for air. James, baby, I won’t let you do that! You’re not becoming like me!
Run, Rogue!


**************************

I run down the corridors until James’ eyes return to normal. We’re in a kind of garage now, it’s safe, and we’re alone. As I try to catch my breath, I still hear screams in my head, her screams, they won’t leave me alone. What did she do to me? I was lying on this bed and she told me that she would help me controlling them again, but what on earth was she talking about? I don’t remember that, it’s just too weird… I need… I need to calm down and breathe. Yeah, like that. Is James alright? Well, yeah, he seems to be. I need to see Dr McCoy! James almost sucked Dr Grey dry; I could see he almost... No, no, Rogue, no… Calm down. But what if… James could do that with anybody, he could hurt people without even knowing. I can’t let this happen… I need to do something to protect him and all the people around us.

“Marie!”

“Logan? You found us? You know what happened?”

“Damn it kid, no, I don’t. What did red’ wanted from you, you okay?”

“Yeah, we’re fine, but what about her? She… James…absorbed her, he almost…”

“No, baby, she’s okay, she just need some rest, but she’s okay, believe me on that.”

Is it regret I hear in Logan’s voice?

“Logan what are we going to do? We can’t stay here! I mean, what if it happened again, and this time…”

“No, kid, you’re not going there. You stay here, it’s safe for you and the baby, he won’t hurt anyone, I promise.”

“How can you promise such a thing? You weren’t there you didn’t see what happened!”

“But I still can say that he didn’t do it on purpose and he wouldn’t hurt anyone. He was acting to protect himself and certainly to protect you. He felt something was wrong, he felt you were in danger.”

“What?”

“He called me. James called me and it was so strong that the whole school might have felt it; I felt that you were in danger in there.”

“What…? I mean, yes, but I wasn’t sure, I felt something was wrong and then there were those voices in my head, I can still hear them, and one moment later, James was watching her with those golden eyes and she was on the floor, and…”

“She was about to hurt you Marie. And… It’s not the first time.”

What? Oh God, I need to sit down, now. Dr Grey wanted to…

“Why? When?”

“It’s a very long story, kid.”

“Logan, it’s time I knew what’s happening around me! I’m fed up with all the secrecy about my past. I want to know, and *you* are going to tell me now!”

“Yeah, but not here. Come with me.”

Logan extends a hand in my direction and I grab it for dear life. We’re almost running down the corridors until we join a deserted room with sofas and a small table. This place is even bigger than what I imagined. The noises from another life come to us in a distant wave, almost inaudible. I look down at James. He’s not sleeping this time; he looks as agitated as me, his eyes searching a spot to rest on without finding it. Logan makes sure I sit in one of the sofas before he sits next to me with the sternest face I’ve ever seen.

“I’ll tell you what you want to know, but I need to warn you first. This might hurt, like nothing else, but I’m here.”

Oh my! His eyes are now a perfect gold and I can read so much…love in them. It's not the right moment for that girl! Rogue, breathe! In and out, in and out, like that, yes, you’re doing good!

“Okay, I’m ready.”

Ready? What are you talking about? Did I just take his hand in mine? Because, well it seems that I didn’t even realize I was doing this...and the knuckle rubbing stuff with my thumb too. It’s so intimate, so…familiar. Damnit, concentrate!!

“Where should I start? There’s so much to say.”

“Starting by the beginning doesn’t sound that bad.”

A half smile appears on his face as his gaze drops to the floor.

“Yeah, not bad at all.”

A long silence stretches as Logan regains his composure.

“You...arrived here almost a year ago.”

“And what about you?”

“The same tame as you. We arrived here the same day.”

“The same day? Did we know each other before getting here?”

“Yeah. We met in Canada.”

Do I look confused? I don't remember being in Canada...

“You hid in my trailer after seeing me in a fight bar.”

A what?!!

“We had a kind of accident, and Xavier found us. It was some tough accident of sort and his guys found us. I mean, Storm and Cyclops.”

“And so we stayed here since. But still there’s something I can’t get. You told me that I’ve been here for almost a year but I can only remember half of it. The half after I woke up in this room with the professor sitting next to me. There's the other part that I just can’t remember and no one will tell me what exactly happened to me. I was told for the white streaks and Magneto, the Professor also told me I had been away and that I had an accident. but nothing more...”

Logan’s expression falls for a split second before he adds with the saddest smile I've ever seen:

“Yeah. The accident is me.”

What the hell? I don’t like the sound of this.

“What do you mean?”

“It happened one night soon after I returned from a trip, a lead that was supposed to help me discover parts of my lost past. I… This is… We slept together, Marie.”

“Holy Mother…! I mean… Holy…Mother of God......!”

“Yeah, something like that. It didn’t happen only once. I’m… I love you with all I am, but I only end up hurting you...I couldn't wait; I wouldn't. And I hurt you. It's my fault; everything that you're going through, it's because of me.”

Rogue, breathe!!!

“What? What do you mean? You hurt me?”

“Not like you seem to think, but yeah. You were pregnant, but I didn’t know at the time, I wasn’t sure. Xavier came to know what happened between us, and he was mad like the devil in hell himself. I was your teacher, you weren’t... legal, I crossed all the lines. And I ran away with you one night.”

Oh. My. God. My heart is only a mess of beats right now. Is this real? For all this time I was hoping that Logan was James’ father, all this time I was trying to sort out the feelings I had for him… And it was real, everything was true.

“But how come I don’t remember? How come I can’t put my finger on those events?”

“Dr Grey, Jean took care of that. She’s the one that discovered us the night we ran away and she alerted the whole damn mansion. When I brought you back two months later, she made sure you would never remember me.”

“Why would she want to do that? And now… just what’s wrong with her?”

“I guess she had some sick reasons.”

“Why did you bring me back anyway, if you knew that she was there and that she was the one who made us leave this place? Why would you bring me back knowing that you would only meet hostility from everyone?”

“Because...you were dying, and there was nothing I could do. Xavier’s was the only place where I could get some help.”

I'd be damned if it's not tears I see forming in his eyes...Logan...crying?

“What happened to me?” My voice is so weak that it’s merely a whisper.

Logan’s eyes dig into mine, tears streaming down his beautiful face. He’s searching for forgiveness. But if what I feel for him is true, there is nothing to forgive, because I wanted all that happened, I wanted all of him. I tighten my grip on his hand as tears escape and run down my face too. I mean, it’s so fucked up, so unfair!

“The baby, my baby manifested in you. He was…sucking the life out of you and triggered all the memories of my past you had in your head. You were living them all at the same time, I mean physically and mentally. It was too much for you to take and that’s why you were in a coma; I thought…I thought I’d lost you. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Everything, all this shit you’re going through, it’s because of me. Forgive me.”

Logan, no...there's nothing to forgive...

“There is nothing to forgive, because you didn’t do anything wrong Logan, you hear me? You didn’t hurt me, you wouldn’t, never. I wanted this, I wanted you…and I wanted our baby too.”

“But look at what I did to you! And it’s….”

“I chose that path out of many others. I chose you. I guess I wanted you more than anything. And I love *you* more than anything.”

“No, you don’t, you can’t. Not after what I did to you…”

“You’re wrong Logan. You know, I often wondered why you cared so much about James and me, why you were there all these times for us, why James and you seemed to share this bond thicker than blood. I often wished you were the one we belonged to. You’ve been my life line ever since I woke up. If it hadn’t been for you, I don’t think I would have made it this far. Especially that part when our wonderful baby boy came to this world. It would have been impossible without you Logan. You’ve been my strength, all this time. So, believe me when I say it’s not over.”

What am I rambling about? Where does that knowledge come from...? A howl from deep within my mind...

I feel so calm that it’s almost scary. I need to feel him; I need to know that he’s okay. Now I can’t stop myself. I lean down to him, our lips now only inches apart. I can feel his warmth, his need, and all the things he won’t voice. Then I do it, for the both of us to be saved, to be united again; I kiss him, holding our baby in my arms, I kiss him with all the love I have. He kisses me back, almost desperately, one hand cupping my cheek, the other on my neck, drawing me closer to him. I’m at peace, right here and now. I found my place in this world, as simply as this, here in this room with Logan and our baby. Our baby. Now, it all makes sense. I felt it ever since that day in that room, the day I saw him getting in with the Professor; I had this feeling that I was linked to him in a way I couldn’t describe. But it was true. Everything was real.

“I…wasn’t a fool you know.”

Logan pulls away a little but he’s still very close, so close that I can see his pupils dilate slowly as I can feel waves of hunger washing over him. He doesn’t speak a word; he just looks at me intently, expectantly.

“All those times you called me baby, that day when you called me by my real name. And… you know, I knew somehow that we must have shared something special at some point in our lives, but yet, I needed proof. I was so much attracted to you, you felt so familiar. Every touch, every smile seemed like a secret promise of something I couldn’t name. I thought it was only concern, but it grew stronger every time I saw you. And finally, it all makes sense. I never took the time to tell you Logan, but thank you; for everything.”

“You don’t have to...I did nothing.”

Logan leans again for a long, long kiss and a considerable number of unspoken promises. But I’m not a fool. Even if I know now what he feels, I know that there’s a dark side to him too. A side I didn’t meet yet. He’s so full of doubts about himself, about his ability to be loved and to love in return. And there are the others, the Professor and Dr Grey. God, it’s so scary! But I won’t lose against her, never. Her or anyone else.

“Do you think I can go back to my room?”

“No...”

“Logan, don’t do anything foolish.”

“…”

“Logan! What do you have in mind?”

“Don’t worry ‘bout that kid.”

I don't like it one bit. Something tells me Dr. Grey is in no safety in a hundred miles perimeter around Logan.

“Anyway, you two sleep in my room tonight.”

“You… you won’t listen to me, right? You’re not God you know. You can’t judge people and decide whether they should live or die. No matter what she did to me, I’m not asking this. I’ll never ask you this; killing to avenge me. You’re not a killer.”

“Marie. You have no idea how much what you saw is wrong.”

“What?”

“I *am* a goddamn killer. Haven’t you ever asked yourself why I had those.” a cold and now too familiar ‘snikt’ like sound accompany a set of angry looking blades as Logan stands up extending an arm at a safe distance. “They gave them to me for me to kill, and I made a damn big use of them until now. They didn’t turn me into an animal, Marie, I was one long before I met those sick bastards in the labs. I’m an animal.”

“No you’re not!! You’re not, heard me? You’re not a murderer and *these* won’t change anything, or the metal running through your body. You are a man, a man I love.”

The three blades slowly slide back into place. I look at them almost with awe. I wonder if it hurts when they come out and in again. It’s true though. He told me about the metal, but never about how it happened to be there. Come on, this is sick, how is it even possible?

“They poured it on my bones by surgery. And I was awake the whole damn time. They wanted me to be unbreakable, and with my mutation, turn me into an invulnerable killing machine.”

Was I voicing all of it?

“But they never made it Logan!!”

“Sometimes, I hope they hadn’t, but it’s in me. It’s a part of me; the Wolverine, I’m him and he’s me. When I say, I’m an animal, it’s not an image. He’s always there, fighting for control every time. Might sound foolish, but with you, the fight was less intense. It seemed that we agreed on a few things when it came to you. He keeps on telling me that you’re mine, ever since the day we met.”

I don’t know what to say. I don’t know whether I should be scared or more in love with him, and I have the feeling that it’s not the first time I feel this way about Logan. My eyes are glued to his, mesmerized it seems by the ghosts of fear and hope they seem to recognize in them.

Mine.

This feeling is so deeply rooted in me. Logan is mine. It’s…too much to bear; I want him, I want to ease his mind. I feel James tense up in my arms as those feelings grow stronger from my chest and then washing through my whole body wave after wave. I’m burning.

“Mine.”

__________________________________________________________



What? Oh, you temptress. If it wasn’t for the baby in your arms, I’d have you scream my name right here and right now. But I know better. We still have things to talk out.

“Yours.”

It’s not even a question. She’s so confident. She’s looking at me dead straight, her eyes a little darker than usual. The Wolverine inside me takes it as a signal to claim her and sends burning waves of want and hunger through my veins, and damn, my jeans are starting to shrink dangerously. Say something old man!

I’m. Burning.

“So where do we go from here?” I heard it...so long ago...a lifetime ago.

“Does it matter?”

Mmm… She dares me? I love that. No! Keep the beast under control, she has James in her arms for fuck’s sake! Focus! On what? On her? No!! Think about something else, try to be romantic, once in your useless life! Yeah, romance… This is ridiculous, I don’t do romance, damn it, I’m the Wolverine. Move, yeah, good plan. Walk? Terrific! Now, get in gear!

I try to take her hand, inviting her to follow me but all I get is a look, The Look. No, Marie, please, don’t do this. She keeps on staring at me like she had discovered something, a new kind of knowledge about me, about us.

“We tried too hard and we didn’t make it, but now I want to do things right. I want things to be right for the three of us. So, if you’ll have us Logan…”

“’Course I will, you’re mine, both of you.”

I lost it, again. The Wolverine crashes down to her lips before I can object, thrusting his tongue demandingly in her sweet mouth. Oh God, I can’t hold it back anylonger. I want her. Now!

“Logan. I… I don’t think it’s the right place or moment for that. We have all the time in the world...”

Am I starting to have hallucinations?

“If it’s a promise, you’ll have to keep it, woman.”

“Yeah, I learned from the best, Logan, I learned from you. Now come on, the others are certainly looking for us.”

For the first time, Marie takes the lead. I realize with a tiny feeling of sadness that it’s only the beginning of her emancipation. I can’t help but smile at the thought. She’s stronger; even stronger than me maybe.

We go back to her room, exchanging heated looks and grinning foolishly to ourselves, still trying to feel the novelty of our old love. Well, for her it is in a way. I make sure that the coast is clear before letting her in. It all seems so normal, no trace of the scene I saw when I came earlier, finding the redheaded doctor lying limply on the floor. Hank picked her up and brought her to the Med bay. Even her scent completely faded, strangely enough, if you want my opinion. 12:30, time for a due break!

“It’s almost time for lunch, you hungry? We could go to the dinner hall together if you want.”

“Yes, sounds great, but not right now. I need to change and breast James first.”

“Want me to go?”

“No, you can stay if you want. I’ll need a little help anyway.”

Okay, so uh, yeah, baby changing and breasting? Piece of cake.

“Yeah, sure. What you want me to do?”

“There are a few clean towels in the bag on the bed, would you please lay one on the bedspread?”

Towels, there it is, okay.

“Diapers?”

“Yes, please and wet cloths and baby powder.”

“Okay, there.”

She lays James on the towel very carefully, like he was made of glass or something, then starts to undo his blue pj’s. That’s only now I realize that it’s the one I offered her a few days after she woke up. I didn’t know why I chose blue, but anyway, seems I was well inspired.

“You seem to have some practice, that’s amazing.”

“In fact, no, not really. I spent very small time with James if you consider the way things went. Dr McCoy showed me once, but that’s about all I had as a mother lesson.”

“But you’re doing great, for sure, like you were born for that.”

She sends me a kind of glare before going back to her activities. What did I say wrong?

“I’m almost done; can you give me one of the bibs, the white one with a blue ribbon?”

“This one?”

“Yeah, thanks.”

I can’t help but feel completely out of place right now. I mean, I’ve rarely seen a baby from this close you know, diaper changing and stuff. And I must confess that I’m a tiny bit nervous about it all. Yet thank God she didn’t ask me to actually proceed with all the things she used to change James, well because, I really didn’t know until today what baby powder was for and in what position it came.
Now she closes everything she opened and sits down on the bed next to my baby boy. He can’t stop looking at her with those heart breaking green-golden eyes, hazel eyes in fact if you give them more attention, like mine. I stay there, grounded, rooted to the wooden floor, taking in all the information my brain can process: the way she looks back at James, the way she takes him in her arms, like it was the world’s most precious treasure, the way she bends down to kiss his forehead softly. She slides down her top’s zipper putting two glorious breasts into the light of the room. My breath hitches involuntarily as my eyes process the smoothness of the skin there. Marie cups one of them almost tenderly, undoes the clip of the cup of her bra and carefully directs the rosy nipple into James mouth. It’s more than I can actually take. It’s both beautiful like a peaceful scenery, and violently arousing, like... Well Like I shouldn’t be picturing right now. Back to shrink land as my lower body’s starting to send alarming signals of pain, screaming for release. Breathe, yeah, deep and steady, just like that.
Marie frowns, deep. She winces as James gulps demandingly, sucking almost savagely at her breast.

“What’s wrong, did he hurt you?”

“Yes, just a little.”

“Maybe you should take a small break. He’s sucking so hard that he’s sweating.”

“You’re probably right.”

She slowly disengages her nipple from James mouth and lets out a gasp of surprise as her gaze drops on two reddish marks on the skin right above where the baby was sucking. Two perfect marks, like teeth or something like that. Did I mention that I am slightly panicked at the sight? Marie hazards a finger in James’ mouth only to take it off right away, her eyes twice as bigger than they were. I kneel down in front of her, too bewildered to speak. The kid actually bit me as I put the tip of my finger in his tiny mouth. I lift up his top lip carefully, uncovering two small white fangs that were boring through the pinky top gum. Holy shit. They were small, yes, but they were sharp enough to hurt. Shit, I don’t have fangs! Try to stay calm old man, the atmosphere is loaded enough.

“Logan, oh my God...”

I’d be lying if I told her that it was normal, but the truth is well, uh, fucked up?

“Don’t worry baby, it’s okay...”

Who are you trying to convince here?

“Logan, two-days old newborns don’t have teeth, and they don’t bite! This is… Oh, please James, forgive me! What did momma do to you my baby?”

“Oh no, Marie, you’re not going there again! This little boy is perfect, he’s not...”

“But Logan...Oh my baby, what momma did to you?”

“We’ll find a way!”

James really made it this far but now, I guess he’s pissed, and he cries at top of his small lungs. I move my hands carefully and draw him to my arms.

“Sshh…I’m sorry Jimmy. I wasn’t angry after your mom. Hey, I’m sorry. Yeah, daddy shouldn’t have shouted, I know…”

Wait a minute, rewind! ‘daddy’? That is, uh, new. Shit, I need to sit down, now!

“Logan, you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just…”

Marie smiles softly as she straightens herself, zipping back up her top.

I'm a dad...I hadn't realized that.

“I didn’t want to do it right away, but I guess we’re going to have to see Hank.” Marie adds more sternly.

“Yeah, guess it’s best.”

“And as long as we don’t know what’s going on exactly, I don’t want James to be in contact with everyone.”

Damn it, Marie!

“I can understand that.” The scowl on my face says otherwise.

“Come on, it’s not like I’m going to lock myself in this room for ever; it’s just for a few days, until we know it’s okay.”

“Okay, but I’ll stay with you, you heard me; and *that* is not an option. I’ll give a call to Hank later, but first things first, you need to eat. We’ll wait until everyone is back to class, then we’ll get down and grab a bite.”

“Sounds great!”

“Yummy!”