I know I've changed, since the X-geeks came into my life. I'm still the Wolverine. I still like
riding hell for leather on my motorcycle. I still enjoy making Scott get his boxer briefs in a wad. I
still like having a beer and putting my feet up to watch Hockey. I still get the adrenaline pumping when I have to put on that black leather and kick some ass.

But having a place I can go back to, as close to home as a man like me ever comes, has changed me. Mellowed me in some ways, though I don't think anyone will ever call me on it. Too much of the old me is still on the surface. I still sometimes wonder about my past that I can't remember, though I've been working on the now, and less about worrying about then. Having a close enough group of people who just sort of take me as I am, has let me enjoy more of the life I'm being offered.

Like going with a bunch of the X-brats down to Virginia, I discovered I like swimming in the ocean. Getting out past the breakers, I can feel as free as Storm must when she rises into the clouds. It's as freeing as anything else I've known, as exhausting to swim out there and back as it is to cage fight. It's an amazing thing, a feeling that's rare for me. Just freedom, and nothing to hold me back, an honest exhaustion that leaves me without the dreams.

Before you go thinking I'm going to turn all pansy assed like Scott and turn into Mister Sensitive, let me smack that notion right outta your head. There's still evil in the world, and I'm still doing my part to kick the asses of the guys who don't have any mercy or concern for women or children. Mutant, human, there's still plenty of assholes who need to have their skull caved in. And I still take care of that sort of business. It's just not the focus of my energy now.

Because of Storm, I've discovered I enjoy Irish tea with a little bit of black tea mixed in, when I watch the sun rise. I've come to like making my own tea, while the sun comes over the horizon in the east. This way no one knows the Wolverine drinks tea, like some weak willed loser, other than Storm and Rogue. They join me sometimes, and they'd never tell. Storm because she's not big on sharing, and Rogue because...well, she's Rogue. I think she finds peace in the tea and sunrise routines, herself. She joins me with a beer to watch the sunset from the roof, when we're both around to do it. I think it helps me mark the days, watching the sun come up and then go down, helps me live in the now, rather than the past. I don't even like thinking about the future, and I don't think Rogue's big on it either. She never talks about the future when she talks me into going for a ride in one of the convertibles, just to drive. We can talk in the car, like we can't when we take the bikes.

I've given up drinking every night, and only have cigars now and then. I leave the bars early, but I leave them with no regrets anymore. Some nights I still feel a little emptiness, and wonder if this is as good as it gets. Then I watch the sun come up, and then I watch it set. Then I get up and go sleep with Marie. She's such a sexy girl, and so full of mystery. She's Rogue, and Marie, one, the other, and both.

She says she doesn't love me, but she likes my company. It took me a while to settle my pride, but I've decided that's good enough for me. For now.

Then we'll sit on the roof, sip at a couple beers, and watch the sun as it sets. And I'll realize, with Marie sitting beside me...Yeah, this is as good as it gets.



My my my it’s a beautiful world
I like swimming in the sea
I like to go out beyond the white breakers
Where a man can still be free (or a woman if you are one)
I like swimming in the sea.

My my my it’s a beautiful world
I like drinking Irish tea
With a little bit of lapsang souchong
I like making my own tea.

My my my it’s a beautiful world
I like driving in my car
Roll the top down sometimes I travel quite far
Drive to the ocean stare up at the stars
I like driving in my car

All around is anger automatic guns
It’s death in large numbers no respect for women or our little ones
I tried talking to Jesus but He just put me on hold
Said He’d been swamped by calls this week
And He couldn’t shake His cold

And still this emptiness persists
Perhaps this is as good as it gets
When you’ve given up the drink and those nasty cigarettes
Now I leave the party early at least with no regrets
I watch the sun as it comes up I watch it as it sets
Yeah this is as good as it gets.

My my my it’s a beautiful world
I like sleeping with Marie
She is one sexy girl full of mystery
She says she doesn’t love me but she likes my company
For now that’s good enough for me