Weeks rolled into months and the suffocation he’d felt when he’d run was only getting worse, he couldn’t breathe. He was drowning; the weight of the demons holding him under.

He was sick of searching for answers and coming up empty time after time. He was tired of fighting a constant internal battle, getting a break from it for only a few minutes at a time, knowing now that these moments were only the calm before the storm and that the demons would rise with a renewed strength, gaining ground with each break they gave him. It was exhausting and he was beginning to understand it was a battle he was incapable of winning.

He watched the lightning flash across the sky, lighting up the room and casting shadows all around him. As the thunder cracked loudly, shattering the peace brought in by the night he felt the vibrations of its wrath trail through his whole body. He listened to its torturous sound roaring on and on in painful rumbling screams, natures anger letting loose its fury. He knew that sound too well, more so since he’d left. Too many nights he would wake to the thunder from within, his soul screaming, agony and distress filling him beyond bursting point so he’d wake shaking and drowning in fear, praying for an escape.

Tonight had been no exception, dreams full of pain and sorrow only this time it was her soul instead of his. His usual nightmares confused by the demons into giving her the staring role; somewhere during the night all the lines of his dreams had crossed and blurred. He wasn’t the one shackled, bound and trapped; this time it was her.

He had felt every ounce of pain as she had screamed and could see it clearly etched all over her face, yet he had turned and walked away smelling her tears and hearing the sound of her heart breaking as she cried out his name over and over again. Each time she had called for him he had ignored her and bit by bit he saw the light around him gradually fade.

He’d woken up begging for forgiveness and with the sound of her name echoing around the room.

Once again he was alone in the dark.

He watched as the storm outside continued to scream its fury and felt the one inside stirring and gathering strength.

With tears slowly tracing their way down his face he felt the demons rise once more. They were fighting for the truth and this time he was listening.

As the rain pelted down drenching man and machine, he shook hands with the demons and admitted defeat; he loved her.

Without realizing he had moved, home was not alone. Home was with her.

He had only just found out.

She already knew.

He watched captivated by the sight of her running towards him, she was oblivious to the rain, not caring that she was already soaked to the bone or that her bare feet were icy cold on the wet ground beneath her.

Strong arms caught and held her tightly as she threw herself around him, and he couldn’t help but smile as the darkness receded and the storm settled and cleared.


The end x

I look after my feedback – it’s always loved and appreciated.
Chapter End Notes:
'Whether we want to or not or whether we should or not, we feel what we feel. We can try and hide it or run from it and we can lie to others and to ourselves, but the truth will always be there fighting for acceptance.'