Soon as he walked in the door was he accosted by an obscenely perky sophomore. He physically recoiled from her painfully exited greeting. “HI! YOU MUST BE, LIKE, LOGAN, THE NEW STUDENT!”

He winced as her voice pierced his head like an acid drenched buzz saw. She took no notice. “HI! I’M KITTY! I’M ASSIGNED TO, LIKE, SHOW YOU AROUND AND STUFF. I LIVE AT XAVIER’S TOO SO I’LL GET YOU THERE AFTER CLASS TOO! YOU’RE GONNA REALLY LIKE IT HERE!”

“Shit! Could ya lower the volume?!” Her face fell momentarily, but almost instantly re-hitched itself into its insanely happy expression.

“Sorry, I forgot you got sensitive ears. I read your file.” He had a file already. Inwardlyhe preened at the idea of his reputation preceding him so quickly. “I tend to get a little loud when I’m excited, and I’m like totally excited to meet you!”

He wondered momentarily if she got that loud when excited in other ways, but the mental image of going deaf if he tried to nail her made him dismiss the petite brunette as a potential score. Plus, he didn’t piss where he ate, so if she lived at Xavier’s too then he wasn’t going there. Hard enough to pump-and-dump a chick if he had to deal with her at school. Didn’t want to deal with that crap in his off hours.

“Want me to show you were your first class is?” Christ, she was practically bouncing with barely suppressed hyperactivity. He hoped this Institute was big and his dorm was far away from hers.

He shrugged in acceptance of her offer, but he didn’t rally give a shit. He was just going to sleep through class anyways.

She prattled away as she led him to geometry. She was a mutant, as were over half of the students at Westchester High, most of whom lived at the Xavier Institute if they weren’t local. Xavier’s was part mutant boarding house, part vocational training program for the residents.

She clearly was on a roll giving Wolverine the full tour. She could walk through walls, the blue guy who looked like a demon could teleport, the lanky and mean looking guy could create seismic waves and rock the ground, his repulsive buddy had amphibious characteristics. The punk skateboarder was obviously a mutant as he was covered in armored plates and his mohawked buddy was arcing lines of electricity between his fingers.

Not that he cared, but it was at least mildly interesting to Wolverine’s usually bored mind to see so many freaks in one place, especially showing their powers freely. But he was officially tired of the half-pint’s running commentary and just wanted her to shut up and set him free from her screechy voice.

“So, like what’s your mutation, Logan? I mean besides the senses?” she asked just as they reached his class. As he opened the door he snarled loudly and flicked out three 10 inch long bone claws from one hand and smirked as Kitty gasped and stepped back. “The name’s Wolverine, girl. Use it.”

He looked over his shoulder into the classroom, satisfied that everyone in there had seen it too. Now they knew who the fuck they were dealing with. He slid the claws back with a sickening ripping sound, and the girl’s eyes grew impossibly large as she watched the holes in his hand heal almost instantly.

He shouldered past her to skulk into the room, happy to be free of her irritating company and secure in the knowledge she would be too afraid to pester him further.

“Wow, that’s pretty cool!” she chirped.

He paused.

Cool?

COOL?

Usually his trick elicited responses of “Gross!” “Don’t hurt me!” or “OH MY FUCKING GOD!”

This Kitty chick was seriously bent. He shot her a dirty look and stomped to the last row and flung himself into the desk closest to the window. He had just gotten comfortable, found just the right spot to lay his head on his arms and let the sun fall across his face in preparation for the first of many naps that day, when his chair was yanked from under him.

From his sprawled position on the floor he glared up the preppy fuck with red sunglasses leaning over him. “You’re in my seat, newbie.” Behind him a knockout redhead in a cheerleader uniform smirked down at Wolverine with a haughty look on her face.

He shoved himself to his feet and leaned aggressively into the suicidal guy’s face. Sometimes he reeeeeally fucking hated being only 5’3” because this guy had a half foot on him and didn’t look at all impressed as he peered down his nose at Wolverine.

“Didn’t see no name on it, bub,” he sneered, then leaned around Prepster to give the girlfriend the hairy eyeball. “Hiya, Red. Wanna know how I got kicked out of my last school?”

A red flare seared past his face and when he turned to look the word “CYKE” was burned into the desk surface. “Now it’s got my name on it. Beat it, runt,” Shades said, then shoved past Wolverine to take his seat, leaving the smaller teen growling in anger. The redhead swept past him in a waft of prissy perfume to sit next to her boyfriend and turned her back on Wolverine, dismissing him entirely.

He was set to unleash the claws and make shish kebab out of Shades when the instructor came in and grabbed his attention. It was kinda hard not to when the guy was a shocking shade of blue and furry. His stentorian tone brooked no argument as he looked at the pissed off looking new face glaring aggressively at the head of the football team, and instructed, “Ah…you must be Mr. Logan, please take the seat here,” and gestured to the worst one in the house, right at the front, in the smack middle. Wolverine hunched his shoulders more deeply in his leather jacket and slid into the chair.

Fucking first day of school. Christ he hated them.