Disclaimer: I do not own anything in the story that even remotely relates to Xmen. Everyone knows who owns them and unfortunately it is not yours truly! I make no profit off of this story and only write for my (and hopefully your) enjoyment!

 

Okay people, sorry it has taken me forever to get the next chapter out. I have no excuse so please don’t kill me!! I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it, even thought it’s ANGST galore, it was still fun! Now, on with the show…

 

In the darkest reaches of a cave sat a man in complete silence. His hands intertwined in the bushy locks of his hair pulling it gently. On his person, he wore only a white shirt and jeans. It had been days since he had laid his head down to sleep, but every time his eyes closed, there was only one face he saw. She was alive, but no closer to him than when she was lost. The only comfort he gained was in the knowledge that she lived. It was all that mattered.

Logan raised his head, looking around his shabby room. Littered on the floor, around his feet, were empty bottles of liquor. He had tried to drown himself in booze, only to have his healing ability kick in and wipe any chances of oblivion away. He was forced to deal with emotions that were foreign to him, emotions that he had never faced before.

It had been two months since he had last seen her, touched her. Two months of living under the same roof as a man that he both felt gratitude for and loathed. He found it funny how those two emotions could exist at the same time. Magneto had held his end of the deal. He had found Marie and in doing so, he sealed Logan’s fate to his. The things Logan had been made to do in these two months were too horrible for even Logan to dwell on.

The first man Logan had been made to torture came easily. He had had too much built up inside of him and this man was a way to get it all out. It eased Logan’s mind, a little, knowing the truth about who this man was and what he did. This man, this monster, was the same kind of filth that had taken Marie. Magneto needed information on a new facility, which was rumored to be holding more mutants. Logan had no problems getting what he wanted and Magneto’s army grew by a dozen.

Even now, Logan could hear the new recruits training. There were a few who didn’t have the will to fight, but on the whole, the new members of the Brotherhood embraced their new leader and his ideas of a perfect society. Logan, for his part, stayed out of the way. He stayed in the shadows, only coming to the light when Magneto called him.

Logan knew it was coming sooner or later. One day, probably soon, Magneto would give him the responsibility of training the new recruits on how to kill. Sure, he had Victor, but Logan knew that Magneto wanted him to be the one to teach. Logan wasn’t sure if he could do that yet.

His life in the Brotherhood was misery, but he had no choice. Every moment of every day, he wanted to hear her voice. He wanted to see her face and touch her hair. There was a small part of him that wanted to torture himself for his decision that landed him where he was. That small part would whisper to him that he didn’t even know if she had survived. The last time he had seen her, she was on death’s door. Logan knew though. He knew without a shadow of a doubt that she was alive and well. His heart would feel it if she were not in the this world anymore.

He stood from his bed, kicking the empty bottles out of his way. He began pacing back and forth in the small room, his mind trying to figure out a way to see her. If he could just talk to her, he could breath a little easier. Would she be angry with him for joining the Brotherhood? Would she understand or would she hate him for his decision? Would she see that, to him, there was no other way?

Before he knew it, he was headed outside into the dark hallway. No one was around as everyone was outside in training. It would be the perfect time to get Magneto alone and maybe with a little bribery himself, he would be able to see or talk to Marie in a couple of hours. Logan was not one for begging, but he would do what he must like he always did.

He had learned the way to Magneto’s lair easily. His heightened eyesight helped out in that department. There was not a corner of this cave that he had not familiarized himself with. Just in case he ever needed a quick escape, he had made himself ready for anything. His footsteps echoed off the black stones surrounding him. It was a sound of determination, of resolve.

Logan did not take the time to knock, but entered without being told to. He might be at the mercy of Magneto, but he wouldn’t allow the man to treat him like a child. To his great satisfaction, Magneto was sitting behind his desk quietly talking to Mystique. At the sight of that woman, Logan felt his claws beg for release. He had to withstand her advances and the woman had gone too far on most occasions. He hated that she had knowledge of how he felt about Marie and had used her several times to try and seduce him. She had barely made it out of his room with her life.

Magneto looked up, his face not disguising his surprise. Mystique stood from where she was seated on his desk, a seductive smile plastered to her face. Logan had to calm himself, reminding himself why he was here. If he wanted Magneto to agree to his idea, he had to play nice with the bitch for just a few moments.

“Ah, Logan, just the man I wanted to see,” Magneto said as he stood.

“I need to speak with you…alone,” he said to the man, giving Mystique a pointed stare.

Her smile grew bigger, Logan’s anger grew ever more strong. She turned her yellow eyes towards the man beside her, her smile never falling.

“Mystique, dear, would you mind giving us a few moments. Please, go and see how our new additions are getting along in their training,” Magneto said.

She hesitated a moment, but then did as he had asked. Logan felt the tension in his body ease a bit after she was out of eyesight. He really did hate that bitch.

“Please, come in. What is it that you wanted to speak to me about?”

Logan braced himself, walking towards the other man to stand before him. This was the moment of truth. Magneto, again, held all the cards. It had crossed Logan’s mind a time or two about just leaving. He had thought about finding the perfect moment and running far away from this place. He thought about going back to Xavier’s, back to Marie, but he feared Magneto would retaliate. There were not many people that crossed him and lived to tell about it. Logan, for all the strength he had, was a mere insect under Magneto’s shoes. So, he chose to stay and live this life that he brought upon himself. It was for her, it always was for her.

“I’ve done everything that you’ve asked me to do since I’ve been here, do you agree?” Logan said slowly.

Magneto watched him skeptically, as if he wasn’t sure where Logan was going with this.

“Yes, you have. I hate to admit it, but I’m somewhat surprised. You’ve done well by me Logan, I can’t say otherwise.”

Logan took a deep breath. It was the answer that he was praying for. If Magneto was reminded that Logan had played by his rules, maybe he would be more willing to give Logan what he wanted.

“I want to see her, Magneto. I have to see her,” he said softly.

It took only a second for the recognition to light Magneto’s eyes. Logan did not have to say her name for the man to understand who he was talking about. The seconds turned into minutes without a word from Magneto. His eyes stared at Logan, boring into him. Logan wasn’t sure if he was angered, his face was void of all emotions.

“You know I can’t let that happen,” he finally said.

“Why?’ Logan said angrily.

“And the moment you saw her, then what? Would you be able to turn and walk away again? The last time I thought I was going to have to drag you off that plane myself! What would it do for you anyway?” Magneto said.

“I have done everything that you’ve asked of me! I ask one simple thing from you. I just want to see her and know that she’s fine. I gave my loyalty to you. You held up your end and now you have to trust me to hold up mine!” Logan seethed.

“Trust you? You run a few errands for me, played nice with my family and stayed put and you think that’s enough for me to trust you?”

Logan was at a loss for words. What on earth made him think that Magneto would ever trust him. Logan, for his part, didn’t trust the man before him as far as he could throw him. It was just the opposite, he trusted him less now than he did before this entire nightmare happened. The air around them grew colder, biting at Logan’s face. He could feel the man’s anger rising, seeping into his Adamantium.

“What if it was neutral ground? What if you came with me, you and whoever else you wanted to bring. You would be there, see everything!” Logan said desperately.

Magneto chuckled lightly, “I thought you said you wouldn’t let me near her.”

Logan’s face grew dark, his anger rising making the hair on the back of his neck rise.

“You won’t get near her, but you can be there to make sure I come back,” he said darkly.

Magneto hesitated, looking as if he were thinking it over. For just a moment, Logan let himself hope.

“And if I agree to accompany you with this idiotic plan, what’s in it for me?”

Again, Logan had hoped for just this moment. He had something that Magneto wanted and that was his talent. He would use it any way he could to get to Marie.

“If you allow me to see her, I’ll train these little brats for you. I’ll make them the into the soldiers that leave only destruction in their paths. You want your war, I’ll give you the killing machines to make it happen!”

As if a light had been turned on the darkened room, Magneto’s face lit up. It was the answer he had been waiting for since he had rescued the mutants. Logan was sickened by what he had just agreed to, but he was more desperate to see Marie than ever.

“You swear, on her life?” Magneto asked quietly.

Logan sighed, feeling the good within him break away, “I swear.”

Magneto nodded his head once.. Turning, he spoke over his shoulder to Logan, “I will make the phone call to Charles. Be ready in one hour.”

To his word, Logan, Magneto, Victor and Mystique were driving in the night. He had no clue to where they were going, nor did he care. His whole mindset was on seeing Marie’s angelic face. He wouldn’t dwell on the chance that she would hate him. He wouldn’t let himself go down that road.

Inside the car, not a word was spoken. Mystique was behind the wheel, Magneto sitting beside her in the passenger seat, which left Logan and Victor in the back. To be near him, Logan wanted to claw the skin right off his body, but he kept himself in control. For Victor’s part, he kept his distance and body out of Logan’s path.

The car came to a stop. Logan stilled his racing heart, taking a breath and releasing it. He could see that they were in a local park. It would be the neutral site. Neither men trusted the other to step foot on their property. Logan didn’t care where it took place as long as Marie was there.

“Remember what I’ve said Logan. I will not hesitate to take action if the need arises.”

Magneto’s voice was soft, but his words were loud and clear. It was the reason he had brought his best fighters. If Logan tried anything, everyone here would be in danger, especially Marie. Logan shook his head in understanding, not trusting his voice to speak.

His hand shook as he grabbed the door handle. He had to get a hold of himself for fear of his actions scaring Marie. He was always so cool and calm, but right now he felt anything but. The Wolverine within him was of no help. He was completely quiet, waiting for the moment that was about to happen. All that was left was the man.

Logan took a step out of the car, his eyes trained before him. He almost faltered as he watched the driver’s side door open to Xavier’s car. The face looking back at him was not Marie’s, but an angered Scott. He watched the man walk to the passenger side door and open it. One of the back doors came open and Jean stepped out. She went to the trunk, grabbing Xavier’s wheelchair. Once it was in place, Logan watched Xavier emerge. Storm was the next to exit the vehicle and once all were out, they proceeded to walk towards Logan.

“We will stay here, Logan. Remember, we are watching,” Magneto said behind him.

Logan didn’t respond as he took the steps towards the Xmen. It was not lost on him that Marie was missing. The thought that something was wrong was almost too much. Logan’s hands began to sweat as his heart beat faster than it should. Something was wrong. Where was she?

When Logan was only a few feet away from the others, they came to a stop. Xavier sat before him, his face a mixture of sadness and pity. Something had happened to Marie, he could feel it. The strength went out from his legs and he almost hit the ground. He made himself stand before these people, their faces mirroring Xavier’s.

“Chuck…” Logan said in a harsh whisper, as if his throat was parched.

Xavier held his hands up, silencing Logan’s next sentence. He was grateful, for he wasn’t sure if he had the strength to talk anymore.

“Logan, it’s good to see you,” Xavier said softly.

“Where?” Logan said, but his voice failed again.

“She’s here Logan, but there is something you must know first.”

Xavier hesitated, letting this sink in. Many things flew through Logan’s mind in the seconds that passed. What was happening? Was Marie so angry with him that she was being made to do this? Was there something physically wrong with her, or maybe mentally? As the questions kept coming, Logan felt a sickness in the pit of his stomach.

“Just let me see her, please!,” Logan said.

“Logan, you need to listen to me for just a moment…” Xavier began.

“I don’t care what’s happened, I just want to see her,” he said angrily. “Rogue! Rogue, please let me explain,” Logan screamed, taking a step towards Xavier’s car.

“Logan…”

He didn’t stop to respond. His instincts took over and he knew that she was close. There was a shadow in the window and every fiber of his being was telling him it was her. With swift movements, Logan sidestepped Scott and before him was the car. He could hear Xavier calling out to him, but he didn’t care. He would not stop until she was in his arms. He wouldn’t stop until she understood everything that he had done for her.

“Logan, we need to discuss this!” Xavier called out to him.

“There’s nothing to discuss. If anything, I will discuss it with her,” Logan called over his shoulder.

He was only feet away from the car and the shadow inside moved. It was enough to give him the strength to reach out and grab the door handle. Before he could retch it open, Xavier spoke, his words bringing him to his knees this time.

“Logan, she will not remember you!”

Time stood still as Logan fell to his knees. The impact of what Xavier had just told him was enough to bring him down. Marie, his Marie would not remember him? What in God’s name did that mean? Logan’s eyes stared at the shadow before him, it’s movements completely stopped. Over the pounding of his head, he heard Xavier’s wheelchair right behind him. A hand gently touched his shoulder, squeezing it lightly.

“I realized the night that we took her back that something was wrong. When I entered her mind, there was nothing there. I was fearful at first that we had been too late, but she awoke three days later. Our fears were confirmed after that. Rogue did not remember anyone,” Xavier said sadly.

Logan let out a small groan. He slammed his eyes shut, willing the tears to go away. His hand squeezed the door handle so hard it began to buckle under the weight. His eyes opened, looking ahead, unseeing. The severity of what Xavier was telling him was enough to break the strength he had.

“Why didn’t you tell me,” Logan whispered.

Xavier sighed, “I didn’t know how.”

“Is she in there?”

“Yes. At first, when Magneto called me, I didn’t think it was a good idea, but, I thought that maybe seeing you would trigger something and I knew you deserved the truth after everything you’ve done for her. Logan, I have tried everything to rebuild what was lost, but nothing has worked.”

Logan took a few breaths, calming his nerves. Slowly, he stood and turned towards the man behind him. Scott, Jean and Storm were standing behind Xavier, their faces showing their sadness. He ignored it as best he could. Again, Marie was all that mattered here.

“I want to see her,” Logan said at last.

Xavier looked at Jean and nodded his head. Logan kept his eyes trained to the red-headed doctor as she went around to the other side of the car. Logan stilled himself as the door was opened and Jean spoke softly. At first, he wasn’t sure if Marie would get out. It took some persuading on Jean’s part and Logan couldn’t help the gut-retching feeling that produced within him.

Slowly, a head emerged and the signature stripe of white against brown hair could be seen. Logan let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding as his first vision of Marie surfaced. It was the first time he had seen her, really seen her, since she had been taken away from him.

The first thing that he saw was how tired she looked, as if she hadn’t slept in days. Large bags were evident under her eyes. She rounded the car with Jean guiding her. Logan stared, not daring to take his eyes off of her. She looked so small, so fragile. The weight that she had lost was visible. She looked as though she could be crushed with just a hug. Still, through it all she was so beautiful.

She stopped in front of him and it didn’t go unnoticed that it was a wide space between them. Her eyes had not yet moved up to look at him, but he wouldn’t hurry her. Xavier wheeled closer to Marie, trying to get her attention. She kept her eyes trained to Logan’s boots, not even looking up for Xavier.

“Rogue, I’d like you to meet a friend of ours. This is Logan,” Xavier spoke.

Logan’s face crumbled before he could stop it. No one seemed to notice and he controlled himself, his face going stone. To hear Xavier have to introduce him was beyond his comprehension. Marie turned her head slightly, her attention going towards Xavier. He smiled a warm smile, letting her know it was okay. Jean took a step back, giving Marie a little room. To Logan, it was if they rehearsed their movements around her, like a dance.

Slowly, Marie lifted her eyes from Logan’s boots to his chest and upward. The moment their eyes met, Logan felt the world stand still. Her eyes, they hadn’t changed a bit. Her doe-like eyes watched him, hiding within them what she was really thinking. He could not read her at all and it was something he wasn’t used to. He could always read his Marie.

“We will give you two a minute,” Xavier said.

Neither looked away from the other as the four moved away. There was only silence and the overwhelming scent that was Marie. Her eyes became curious as she looked at each part of Logan’s face. He stood stock still, allowing her to roam. His entire being was captured on her eyes.

“Do…do you remember me?” he whispered.

A crease formed in Marie’s forehead, as if trying to remember something. Hope swelled within Logan. Maybe their bond was strong enough to penetrate whatever had taken her memory. To his amazement, Marie took a step towards him, thinning the distance. Logan waited, praying.

“No,” she said in a small voice.

He felt a crushing blow, but kept his face unreadable. His eyes on the other hand must have showed everything, because sadness lit Marie’s face.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.

Logan forced a small smile to his face, even though he felt anything but happy. He did it for her.

“That’s okay. I’ll remind you however long it takes,” he said.

“It’s like being in a fog. I can’t see past what’s right in front of me,” Marie said sadly.

Logan knew all too well that feeling. He had lived it everyday since waking up from having his memories taken away. He had known that feeling up until the moment this slip of a girl had stowed away in the back of his truck. He desperately wanted to tell her that, but now was not the time. He had experience in this and it would overwhelm her if he confessed everything to her tonight.

“I-I’m Logan,” he said as he slowly held his hand out.

Marie looked from his face down to his hand. She hesitated, looking as if she wasn’t sure of what to do. He would give her a few more seconds and then drop his hand. He didn’t want to push her. Slowly, she placed her tiny hand inside his giant one. The sensation was more than he could ever have hoped for and it was almost his undoing.

Looking at the small hand in his, he noticed something What met his skin was not the fabric of a glove, but Marie’s own skin. His head shot up, looking over towards Xavier.

“We aren’t sure yet, Logan. I’m still doing tests,” Jean said. Logan noticed tears in the woman’s eyes.

He looked back down at the joined hands, his thumb absently rubbing her. Marie was staring as well, the crease back in place on her forehead.

“H-how do we know each other?” Marie asked in a child-like voice.

Logan inhaled, breathing in her scent, something that he had truly missed. Their hands remained linked. He never wanted to let her go.

‘You’re my everything,’ a voice in his head said. Logan wanted to say it, but how would she take that? What if it backfired?

“You’re my best friend,” he said instead.

She looked up at him, her eyes showing her innocence and loss. Logan took a chance and stepped closer to her. It was the wrong move as she jerked her hand away, taking a step back. Slowly, Logan raised his hands, showing her he wouldn’t hurt her.

“You’re safe, Marie,” he whispered gently.

“Marie?” she said in confusion.

Logan wanted to kick himself. He was the only one that knew that name and this was obviously the first she had heard of it. Marie took another step away from him and Logan became desperate.

“Please, don’t,” he begged.

Marie stopped, watching him intently. He could see the mistrust in her eyes. She didn’t know him, therefore had absolutely no trust in him. The Marie that he remembered wasn’t there at the moment and he would have to handle this girl delicately.

“Why did you call me that?” she asked skeptically.

As he opened his mouth to answer, another voice spoke up in the distance.

“Logan, it’s time.”

Logan couldn’t’ stop the growl before it fell from his mouth. Marie’s eyes went wide and to his horror, she walked backwards away from him without stopping.

“Please, don’t walk away,” he said as softly as he could.

“Logan, it’s time to go…Now!” Magneto said with more authority.

“Hold on one fucking minute!” Logan screamed before he could stop himself.

He wished he had missed the flinch he had caused in Marie, but it was there for everyone to see. It was the driving wedge between them and the chance with her was all but taken from him. She turned from him, walking towards Xavier.

“I want to go home,” she said to the man.

Logan took a couple of steps towards them, his desperation going into overdrive. She wanted to get away from him. His Marie wanted to be as far away from him as she could get. He had seen the fear in her eyes and it killed him to know that she was frightened of him. He would never lay a hand on her head to harm her, a piece of her deep down had to know that.

“Rogue, please don’t leave just yet,” he said desperately.

“Logan, we made a deal!” Magneto said, taking a step towards where they were standing.

All the blood drained to Logan’s face. The beast within him was starting to take control and soon, he would not be able to stop the Wolverine. Xavier could see it and wheeled towards Logan. Through the fire-red haze of his vision, Logan wasn’t aware of his mentor’s presence. His only thought was how many ways he could gut Magneto.

“Logan, now is not the time to lose control of this situation. Rogue is in a fragile state and to be subjected to violence will do more damage than I can repair. Please, think of her right now!” Xavier said worriedly.

It was enough to quench Logan’s bloodlust. The red haze disappeared from his sight, leaving the dead of night in it’s wake. His eyes roamed to the people surrounding him, landing on Magneto. His hate for him grew as nothing he had ever known. Xavier placed his hand on Logan’s arm, squeezing it tightly.

“She’s afraid of me, Chuck!” Logan said.

“No, she’s only afraid of what she can’t remember. She is still Rogue and I swear to you I will do everything to bring her back to you!”

In hopelessness, Logan closed his eyes, nodding his head once. Magneto was right about one thing, this time it was harder to leave than the last. Jean was guiding Marie around the car, taking her out of his reach. With all the strength he had left, Logan took a step away from the car, away from Marie.

Jean opened the door for Marie to climb in, but the girl hesitated a moment. Her doe-like eyes rose to look at Logan. He stood there, allowing her to look into his very soul, to see the man he was to her. With everything he had, he pushed all of the love and need he had towards her. He begged upon her to see what she meant to him. Why wasn’t it enough? He had always thought his love for her would be enough.

She stared at him, through him and then she disappeared into the car. That was it, that’s all he had left of her. It was just one last look and in that look was no recognition of him at all. He didn’t think he could be broken anymore than when she was taken from him…he was wrong.

Logan stood there long after they had driven away. Every once of him screamed to let the Wolverine out, to unleash the beast upon Magneto. At least this way it would be over, as the other man would surly take his life. But, he couldn’t do that to Marie.

“It’s time to go, Logan!” Magneto said, coming up to stand beside him.

Logan felt nothing. When the car had driven away with Marie, it had taken his soul with it. All that was left was a shell of a man. He turned toward Magneto, watching the man beside him. He was surprised to see that his attention was not on him, but at the direction the car had gone. He was surprised to see sadness in the man’s eyes, as if he had a heart to care about what had happened to Marie.

Logan turned away, walking back to his own car. He passed Mystique, who, for the first time, didn’t have anything to say. Victor was already in the car when he took his seat beside him. Logan turned his head to look out the window, watching the world in darkness pass him by. No one said a word on the drive back to the Brotherhood’s compound.

All he wanted to do was go to his room. He didn’t want to be around these people tonight. The taste of the kill was still on his mind and anyone could be his victim if they crossed him. Without a word, he exited the car and walked away.

He fell to his bed, his hand pulling at his hair. He wanted to feel anything but the pain of her unknowing eyes. He wanted to see her as she was, as he remembered and not as the girl who feared him because she didn’t know him.

As the hours passed, he remained upright in his bed, his hands never leaving his hair. There was a knock on the door to which he did not answer. The person knocked again and he still ignored them.

Finally, the person spoke in a small, pitied voice, “I am truly sorry, Logan. I had no idea.”

It was Magneto, and in that moment, Logan did not care what the man had to say.

 

Ooooooookay!! There ya go and boy was that an emotional scene to write. I have to say that it just flowed out of me without me even thinking about it! It felt awesome and I hope that you liked it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment and as always, thank you for reading!!