A few moments later the X-Men beta’s came strolling in to Xavier’s office. There was enough room for an entire army in his office so it was no where near cramped as the everyone made room for the other. Each X-Men had a bright smile on their faces for the students who now would be their equal.

Everyone except for one. Logan sat in the window sill of Xavier’s huge window overlooking the back lawn. His face was a deep scowl as studied nothing in particular. He just couldn’t bring himself to look at Marie yet.

“Is this seat taken?” Logan looked up to see Marie standing there watching him. Her face was unreadable yet her scent gave away how nervous she was. He knew it was only a matter of time before her nervousness was replaced with anger. A part of him wasn’t looking forward to that.

He didn’t say a word as he removed his large leg for her to sit next to him. It was nothing new really, they would sit with one another for everything, meals, hockey games, you name it, they were always together. Out of the corner of his eye he studied the girl next to him. She was not the little girl that she was when he first met her. The scared girl from Mississippi that let no one close because of her deadly skin. He could not deny that she was now a woman, and a very beautiful woman and that. When his thoughts would travel down this particular path he would stop them in an instant. He could not think of Marie in that light. The annoying voice in his head reminded him that he was old enough to be her grandfather…or worse her great-great grandfather.

The meeting started with Xavier giving a long and rather inspiring speech about what it was to be an X-Men. The hours of labor and stress that the job entailed, but he also talked about the extraordinary feeling of the first time you saved some poor soul’s life. His speech was so amazing that Marie found herself ready to go to work as an X-Men. If she made it in that is.

After the speech from the Professor, Scott took over the meeting. In is “fearless leader” voice he started to call the names of the seven individuals one by one. As he went down the line there were shouting and clapping and a few tears…happy tears of course. Every vote was an unanimous yes and Marie found herself being very happy for her friends. She watched their excited faces as they talked among themselves. It did not escape her attention that her name hadn’t been called yet nor did it escape her attention that it seemed as though Scott was putting it off.

“Rogue, congratulations, with a vote of five to one you are the newest member of the X-Men.”

It took a moment for what Scott said to sink in. Marie had just known that she wouldn’t make it. Before she could control herself she jumped up from the window sill and started clapping happily. She knew she looked like a school girl but at that moment she didn’t care. She was now an X-Men.

“Chica!” Jubilation said excitedly as she hurried towards her friend.

“Oh my God Jubes, I made it! I’m an X-Man,” Marie said as she threw her arms around her best friend.

“I know! Looks like Wolvie’s vote didn’t matter after all,” Jubilation said as she stared daggers into Logan. She watched his jaw tense up and for a moment thought that perhaps she overstepped her bounds with that comment.

Marie’s happiness shattered then. When Scott had congratulated her for making it, she had almost missed the vote count because of her excitement. Jube’s reminded her of the vote count now. Her smile fell as she slowly dropped her arms.

“Hey, Rogue what’s wrong?” Jubilation asked concerned.

Marie didn’t say a word as she turned and looked at Logan. He was still staring out into the back lawn but she knew he could feel her eyes boring into him. He had really done it. He had voted against her and tried to keep her from getting something she really wanted. Did he really not have one ounce of faith in her?

“You voted against me didn’t you?” she whispered.

He didn’t speak at first. He wouldn’t deny it, how could he. He just didn’t want to look at the hurt that would surly be in those doe-like eyes.

“Don’t be so shocked Marie, I told you I didn’t think you were ready.”

He did not miss the flinch from Marie as she heard his low, rough voice. Without a word, she turned and headed for the door. Logan sighed heavily before turning towards her fleeting footsteps. This was the moment he was not looking forward to.

Standing from the window sill, he followed Marie out the door into the hallway. He wasn’t surprised that all eyes had been on them through the whole thing. Yet again they had made one of their big scenes.

“Marie…Marie,” he called but she wouldn’t stop. She was mad, he could tell that for sure. He also could smell the tears and that was something he didn’t expect. Anger, he could deal with but a hurt, crying Marie…he wasn’t so sure.

Reaching her, he grabbed her arm and turned her around to him. Sure enough she was crying. He wanted to kick himself for not wearing his gloves so he could wipe them away, but he didn’t think she would even want him to if he could.

“What do you want,” came her low watery voice.

“I think we should talk about this darlin’, “ Logan started.

“There is nothing to talk about, you don’t want me on the team. You don’t think I’m good enough or old enough, yet you voted yes to everyone of my friends who, may I remind you, are the same age as me. What do I have to do to prove to you that I’m ready Logan? What do I have to do to prove that I want this more than I’ve wanted anything else in my life?”

“Marie, please understand where I’m coming from. I’m doing this to protect you. I swore to you on that train that I would take care of you and that’s exactly what I’m doing. This isn’t a life Marie, being an X-Man. Every time you walk out that door for a mission you may not come back. You want that kind of life?” he asked harshly.

“It’s good enough for you.”

Logan was at a loss for words. She was right, it was good enough for him but she was better than him. She always had been.

“That’s exactly why you shouldn’t want this Marie. I’m good at what I do and what I do is killing,” he whispered.

“If this is your idea of taking care of me Logan then I don’t want your care anymore. I’m not some child you can order around, nor do I want a friend who doesn’t have any faith in me.”

With that, Marie turned on her heels and marched towards her room. Logan did not try to stop her. She had made a point, she didn’t need someone in her life that didn’t have faith in her. What she didn’t realize was it wasn’t about faith. It was him being able to actually let her live without his protection. He would have to let her face dire circumstances without him being there to shield her from it all. Logan wasn’t sure he could do that. Marie had become the most important thing in his life. He had spent most of his life not knowing who he was or where he came from. He was bitter and had no care for anyone or anything. That all changed the day he met Marie. She had given him peace about himself. She gave him a calmness that he nor the Wolverine inside of him had ever had. Because of her, he now had a real home to call his own. Yet none of these things gave him the right to control her life. He needed a cold beer and a cigar.

Grabbing his jacket and Scott’s bike keys, Logan headed to the garage. He needed to think and to do that he needed to be alone.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The alarm’s numbers had only moved two minutes from the last time Marie had looked at it. She was lying in her bed, at two in the morning, no closer to sleep than when she first lay down. Turning from one side to the next, she just couldn’t find a comfortable position. It seemed that when she would finally settle down and almost fall asleep today’s events would send her right back wide awake. Did she really tell Logan that she didn’t want him as a friend? How could she not have him in her life? She had come to rely on him over the years. He meant more to her than anyone in this place. She was a lost, scared girl when she found him and from that moment on he had never let her feel scared again. Logan went beyond the call to make sure that she had everything she wanted. Everything but being an X-Man.

With that last thought, Marie let out a frustrated sigh and climbed out of bed. Grabbing her house coat and her gloves, Marie headed down towards he kitchen.

With it being early in the morning there was no one awake. Everyone was resting easy on this night, everyone but her. Her mind was a jumbled mess of nerves, as if she had just touched someone and was trying to block their thoughts and feelings.

Entering the kitchen, she did not bother to turn the lights on. The moon was shining through the windows giving off enough light to see. The kitchen was very spacious, of course it had to be to accommodate the amount of mutants that Xavier’s housed.

Walking towards the refrigerated, Marie yelped when she saw a shadow move in the far corner of the kitchen. She wasn’t sure if her eyes were playing tricks on her or if she had actually saw something moving. Her questions were answered as a quite voice spoke in the darkness.

“Can’t sleep?”

She would know his voice anywhere, day or night. She should have known that Logan would not be asleep.

“Not really,” she said low. “Thought I would grab some warm milk.”

“When you’re done, come out to the picnic table,” Logan said as he stood to leave.

Marie drank the last of the warm milk and made her way outside. Logan stood smoking a cigar with his back turned towards her. She hated when things would come between them. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. She had told him she didn’t need his protection…or his friendship. Marie felt sick to her stomach to think what Logan was about to say to her. Was he going to leave now? Did he agree with her that they should just cut ties and move on?

“Marie, it’s never been about if I didn’t have enough faith in you or if I didn’t think you could be as good as anyone else on the team. Hell you could take down a group of men twice your size before any of them knew what hit them.” Logan paused to take a drag from the cigar. The amber end lit up his troubled face.

“Logan,” Marie started but was cut off.

“Please, let me finish here okay?” Logan asked just above a whisper.

“If I had my choice of anyone in this house having my back, it would be you every time. You’re smart Marie, your strong.”

“But…” Marie whispered.

Finally Logan turned towards her. The full moon shown on his face giving it a surreal look. That was not what made Marie sit up and take notice, but it was the look in his eyes as he stared at her.

“Do you really not get it darlin’?” He asked slowly.

The truth was she didn’t get it. If he believed in her abilities and thought she was good enough to back him in any situation then why was he fighting so hard to keep her from doing just that. Sadly, it didn’t make any sense to her.

Logan sighed loudly as he spoke, “Marie, you are the only family I have, the one good thing in my life and probably the part of my life that I can’t remember. When I look at you I feel that at least I did one thing right in this world. If I ever lost you…”

His words died in his throat. He could not even think about losing her and saying it out loud was impossible. Marie didn’t need him to say it because she knew exactly what it was that was left unsaid. She felt it every time he walked out of Xavier’s door to go on some secret mission or to find something about his past.

“I understand Logan, but do you not think I have to deal with the same thing when you have to go? Do you not think that I sit around wondering if this time will be the time you don’t come back?”

“I’m different Marie, it’s not the same,” he argued.

“Yes it is Logan. You’re damn hard to kill that is true, but you aren’t immortal. But I deal with my worries because I know that you’re doing what you have been born to do. You protect the ones that can’t protect themselves. When you walk back through that door, it’s another answered prayer.”

It had been years since she had seen Logan so vulnerable and it took her by surprise that it was herself that was making him feel that way. She knew that they had a connection but she didn’t realize that he felt it so deeply. Marie only thought it was one-sided. Logan was proving that wrong.

Standing, Marie slowly walked towards Logan. She reached out and grabbed his hand in her gloved one. He did not protest. “If you’re scared of losing me Logan then train me. Teach me every single thing there is to know so I can defend myself.”

Logan laughed despite himself, “You sure about that darlin’? I’m gonna be on your ass hard.”

Marie smiled at him, thankful to hear a laugh. “I wouldn’t expect anything less from ya you big ox!”

Logan wrapped his arms around Marie, bringing her towards him. Laying his cheek upon her head, he allowed her scent, a scent that he would know anywhere that was just Marie, to blanket him. She really was the most important person in his life. Maybe this would be okay after all. Only time would really tell.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

FOUR MONTHS LATER…

“Bobby, what the hell are you doing. You have to guard Kitty’s blindside, don’t allow anyone to even get within striking distance, this is textbook stuff!” Logan screamed.

He had been training the newest members of the X-Men for the past four months now and all in all they had impressed him. There were still getting the kinks out though, for instance their lack of interest when it came to easy lessons. They were all ready for the dangerous combat to begin but if they didn’t have the basic principles down first, the dangerous part would be impossible.

Logan watched Marie most of all and couldn’t help the swell of pride as the young woman was a force to be reckoned with. Sometimes, her movements would mimic his own so well that it scared him. He wondered just how much of himself was still in Marie’s head. He even swore that she had growled at him a few times while they sparred.

“That’s enough for today. Class dismissed,” Logan said to the group.

They all sighed in relief and made their way towards the showers. Marie headed towards Logan before going to the showers. She had to make sure their plans were still on for later that evening.

“Hey big guy, we still on for tonight.”

“Wouldn’t miss it darlin’, seven sharp.”

“Great, I’ll bring the popcorn if you bring the beer,” she said as she walked towards the showers.

“Count on it!” he yelled to her as she went out of his sight.

He and Marie had been planning this night for a while now. It was nothing special really, but they would be able to spend a few quiet hours together watching their favorite hockey team kick ass. He found himself getting excited at the thought of spending time with Marie. As soon as the excitement started he squashed it. Logan still would not let himself go down that road. Not now and probably not ever. Marie deserved someone better than him, someone that could give her everything that she deserved.

Shaking his head, Logan turned and walked towards his room. He had to get ready and make a trip to the store for the beer.

_____________________________________________________________________________________


“Chica, you two just need to do it and get it over with. Quit beating around the bush about your damn feelings for each other All this built up sexual tension between y’all is starting to give me a headache.”

Marie was standing in the bathroom combing her two toned hair when her blunt and often outspoken best friend Jubes spoke. Marie was so surprised at what she said that she dropped the hair brush.

Walking back in her bedroom, Marie stood, with her hands on her hips, staring at her friend. “First off Jubes, I kinda have a deadly skin problem which makes it hard for that kind of physical activity. Secondly, Logan doesn’t even think of me like that. Thirdly, There is no sexual tension between me and Logan.”

“A, there are ways around your skin girl. B, he most certainly thinks about you like that, and C, there is more sexual tension between you and Logan than there are mutants in this house.”

“Okay Jubes, whatever idea is rattling up in that thick head of yours….Stop!” Marie said concerned.

“Oh chica, I’m not gonna have to do a thing. You and Logan will figure out what everyone else in this house already sees. It’s only a matter of time.”

With that, the fiery sparkler stood up from Marie’s bed and walked out. Marie stared at the door for a long time after she left. Her words were still running wild inside Marie’s mind and it made her wonder if what Jubes had said could be possible. Everyone knew that she had a huge crush on Logan and had always loved him but it never occurred to her that maybe he could feel the same way. Was it possible that he could?

“Grrrr, get a hold of yourself girl. You know damn well that that man would never see you for anything other than a kid sister,” she mumbled.

Taking one last look at herself in the mirror, Marie turned and made her way out into the hall. It was a Friday night and not many people were at the mansion tonight. Marie always loved the weekends, that is when Logan was home. It was always quiet and they could enjoy a peaceful moment or two.

She knew exactly where his room was, which was only three doors down from her own. All of the new members of the X-Men had been moved to the teacher’s wing seeing as they would start teaching in the fall. Marie was looking forward to that very much. She always had a love of teaching and wanted more than anything to be a teacher.

Standing in front of Logan’s door, Marie suddenly realized she was very nervous. “Damn Jubes and her silly thoughts,” Marie whispered.

She found for just a moment she couldn’t bring herself to knock on his door. Her hands were sweating bullets and she needed to get herself under control before she saw him. Logan would be able to read through her easily.

She wanted to go back to her room to calm down. Sweat formed on her brow and her heart was racing ninety to nothing. She had absolutely no idea what was going on. Was she that nervous to see Logan? I mean come on, it was just Logan and how many times had they done this? Something had changed though, and it seemed as though Marie was that school girl with her school girl crush again.

Turning away from the door, Marie took two steps before she heard Logan’s door opening and his husky voice calling her. “You runnin’?”

Turning back to him, she had no idea what she would say or how in the hell she would explain why her heart was about to explode out of her chest. Watching him stand there watching her didn’t help the situation. She was in trouble and she knew it. She was in trouble because she realized that she was head over heels in love with Logan.