Author's Chapter Notes:

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing.

A/N: Thanks for the reviews, they made me so happy that I finished this chapter much faster.

CHAPTER 18

It wasn't even 8 in the evening, but Rogue was already dressed in her pj's and tucking a sleepy Becca into her crib, after her meal and a new diaper. Logan was next to her and placed a soft kiss onto his daughter's forehead, praying that this night would be a little more restful.

Marie was about to crawl under her covers when she stopped and faced the other mutant. "What happened to the romper suit? It didn't meet your claws, did it?"

Logan saw the annoyance in her tired features and smirked slyly. "Nah, but it's there where you won't find it together with your silky nighty."

"What nighty… oh." She remembered after the move into her new room, she had missed the short black nighty, she wore the night Becca was conceived.

Logan leaned forward and kissed her quickly on her lips. "Would be a shame to shred it to pieces. Maybe it'll be useful in a few years." He whispered against her lips before leaving another peck on them. "G'Night, Kid."

"Night, sugah." Smiling silly Marie watched him return to his room and close the door.

X X X X X

It was still in the middle of the night and for once Logan was glad about his daughter's loud voice, since she had ripped him from the beginning of one of his nightmares. Breathing deeply he closed his eyes again for a moment to shove the terrible pictures into the back of his mind, locking them there.

Still feeling the shadows of the people with the masks and syringes lurk in the darkness, he headed into Marie's room and lifted the weeping child from her arms and walked over to the changing table.

He was sure he couldn't go back to sleep with fragments of his nightmare flowing through his mind and so Logan cradled his changed daughter against his broad chest, her small head rested in the crook of his neck and shoulder. Nuzzling his nose in her soft hair, he breathed in her unique and calming scent – a mixture of Marie and him and baby powder – and walked eventually over into his room and sank down into the comfortable leather chair. Becca was already asleep and he kissed her head lovingly, before staring into the darkness of his room, cursing the fact that he still had no television to keep him occupied in nights like this one.

X X X X X

This night had been peaceful Marie decided when she stirred from her sleep and glanced over to her alarm-clock. Fine, Becca had demanded food and a new diaper several times during the night, but as soon as she was in her father's warm embrace, the girl was out like a light. The brunette staggered to her feet and sneaked over to Logan's room, finding him dozed off with their daughter nestled on his chest, his large hand rested on the tiny back protectively. She watched her family with a soft smile.

After a quick refreshing shower she had changed into her black jeans and forest green tee shirt and was on her way down the hallway of the teachers' wing when she almost bumped into Ororo. "Mornin'."

"Morning, Rogue." The woman smiled at her. "I was just on the way to you. How are you?"

"Still a little tired, but Becca was an angel tonight." The brunette saw the doubtful look on the weather witch's face. "Compared to the night before."

Ororo stifled a yawn and nodded. "Where's Logan?"

Marie smiled. "Wanna see something utterly cute?"

"Sure." Now the girl got her curious.

"But ya have to be quite." Marie whispered as she opened the door to Logan's room and presented her teacher with the peaceful picture of Logan with his tiny daughter in his arms sleeping in the old leather chair while the morning sun shone on them through the curtain. "Too bad Ah have no camera."

"What's so interesting?"

Rogue and Storm practically jumped to Scott's voice and their heads snapped around to him and Jean standing behind them. "Shh." Storm winked her friends closer to the gap and the two also caught a glimpse of the Wolverine and his cub.

After Marie had carefully closed the door Scott was still in shock about what he had just witnessed. "Is that really Logan?" To tell the truth the X-Men leader was concerned from the beginning about leaving the wailing child in the short tempered man's care. "What drugs did you give him?"

"None." Marie walked further down the corridor and led the group away from their rooms, so Logan had the chance to catch up on his lack of sleep. "There's much more to him than the growling feral he shows on the outside all the time." She explained, but suddenly her features became worried. "Ya shouldn't tell of this. Ah shouldn't have showed ya." In truth she hadn't meant Scott and Jean to learn of this, only Storm.

"Why? Is he gonna skin us alive, or what?" Scott joked, but saw the serious expression on the girl's face.

"Exactly." They had arrived in the kitchen and Rogue opened the fridge and rummaged in it in the search for bacon and eggs. Today she would surprise her mate with breakfast.

Storm boiled water for her herbal tea, while Jean made coffee and Scott fetched the toast bread from a cupboard. Marie had the large pan before her and began to slip the meat into the hot oil. "Umm, does anyone want bacon and scrambled eggs, too?" She saw the confused looks of her teachers. "There isn't much to. Throwing a few eggs more into the pan than Ah already have, so it'd be enough for five people than for two."

"Sounds like a plan." Scott answered and took care of the toast.

Other than Storm, Jean was a little startled. "For two? You make breakfast for Logan?" The man surely would like to have the kid cook for him and do his laundry, the doctor didn't really wonder about this and that the love-sick girl would do this voluntarily.

The brunette turned the bacon on the other side and answered without looking up from her work. "Sure. He made me pancakes the day before yesterday."

Jean was staring at the girl with wide green eyes. "He did?!" Scott hadn't told anyone.

"Yep." Marie smiled while Ororo placed two large plates next to the stove as they heard desperate cries draw closer. "Becca's hungry." The young mother wiped her hands clean and just turned around in time to see Logan walk with a sobbing baby into the kitchen.

"Mornin'. He greeted and approached his mate, who immediately picked the tiny girl up into her arms and walked over to the table and sank down on a chair in the far corner. Logan watched her turn her back on them and free her breast. There was nothing to see than her back, but Scott still stared at his girls and Logan didn't like that one bit. "Eye over here, Cyke." He ordered with a growl.

"I'm not a pedophile like you!" The younger man snapped back and Logan stepped closer to him with a vicious snarl on his lips.

Storm reacted immediately and shoved a stack of plates into Logan's hands. "Will you two stop it already!?" Her eyes dug into Cyclops. "Scott, watch your words! What if a student would hear you? You know the walls have ears!" She hissed and he murmured something alike 'right'.

With a last snarl towards the other man, Logan walked over to Rogue and set the table. He could smell her sadness and anger. It tore at his heart that One-Eye could upset his mate so much. Sinking down on the stool next to hers, he watched her nurse their baby and stroke the tiny hand of their girl. "Kid?" She was near tears, he could tell.

"Ya ain't." She eventually brought out, never looking up from Becca's serene features.

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close to him, her head cradled against his chest and he placed his chin on her dark hair. "They know nothin', Marie."

She felt him place a kiss to her head and a tear finally found its way down her cheek. Sniffing she wiped it away and fought hard to hold the others at bay.

Storm elbowed Scott as he was about to walk over to the couple when Logan hugged the girl. "You idiot made her cry!" She whispered angrily and saw Scott watch the girl wipe her tears away. "Cut those unnecessary comments, Scott!"

From the corner of her eyes Jean watched Logan comfort the teenager. She had never thought him to be the cuddling type, but to her amazement it was HIM to hug the girl and not her to burry her tear streamed face in his chest, taking the console she needed from him selfishly – not caring if the man would find it awkward. Maybe there was indeed more to Logan than his bad boy image made everyone believe. This thought brought a pang of jealousy up in her heart and she dismissed this thought at once. It was not possible to be the bad boy with a soft and good core – this was only a show Logan put on and it wouldn't take long till he'd get tired of playing family-man.

X X X X X

Not long after the little group had started with their breakfast the professor had wheeled into the room and joined them. Rogue had the now contently sleeping Becca cradled in one arm and half of her lap, while mastering eating with only one hand and the use of the fork also as a knife. Charles was pleased with the emotions he picked up from the young mother concerning her child. Rogue had fully accepted her baby and seemed to be quite happy in her new role. He was quite surprised to hear that she had taken the history test and had just asked to also take the math test this Friday. "If you feel fit enough, Rogue. But if you're serious with this, I recommend attending my classes today and tomorrow."

The brunette smiled brightly while noticing her former roomies enter the kitchen. "Of course, professor." She faced her mate with a puppy dog look. "Would ya take Becca in that time, Logan?"

"Sure." Logan frowned puzzled – Becca was also his child, there was no need to ask him that. He was about to voice his confusion, when he caught sight of Jubilee and Kitty walk towards the fridge with an enthusiastic 'Morning.' on their lips.

How he hated happy and chatty people in the morning! Marie was like him concerning this and that was another plus for being a suitable mate. She never took it personally when he growled at her sleepily, when she crawled into his bed in the middle of the night after one of his nightmares she constantly had after Liberty Island. She even growled back at him when he'd wake her gently to usher her back into her own room, so no one would get wind of her nightly sleepovers.

Chewing on a piece of bacon Logan got moodier the longer he watched the two teens chat cheerfully about some nothingness. "Gonna try and get 'er used to the formula. Would make things easier next week when you'll return to classes." He growled and saw Marie's eyebrow twitch as Yellow squealed about having found the last blueberry-muffin. His mate obviously preferred a calm start in the day, too.

"That would be great." Marie finished her toast and Logan picked their baby from her embrace, so she had her hands free to refill her glass with juice. "Thanks, Logan."

"Logan, the school needed some supplies. Would you head to town this afternoon?"

"Why not, Chuck." Logan shrugged and gulped down the rest of his coffee. 'Gonna get the TV when I'm there.'

'Good idea, bub.' Wolverine growled in appreciation.

"You can pick up the list at my study later." Xavier saw the other man's nod.

Jean stood up and placed her plate into the dish-washer, before glancing over to the young parents. "It's still some time till classes, I'd like to do Becca's check-up now, if you're fine with it."

"Sure, Red." The Canadian also got to his feet, the baby propped up on his shoulder and his plate in the other hand. He walked over to the dish-washer and put his plate in before approaching the waiting doctor near the door.

Marie leaped up and downed her juice hastily while returning her plate to the machine. "Hey, wait for me!"

Chapter End Notes:

A/N: Hope you liked this chapter. I know you want Wolvie to punch Scott, and he eventually will, I promise ;-)

Feedback is always welcomed!