Author's Chapter Notes:

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing.

A/N: Big thanks for the reviews, they make my day!

With this chapter this story reached the 100.000 words mark! I had never thought that I would write so damn much and stick to one fandome for so long, but your many amazing reviews helped me focus.

CHAPTER 43

Storm rapped at Rogue's door and waited for an answer before opening the door and entering the room. Her gaze fell immediately onto the heap of beddings on the floor next to the young mother's wardrobe and then her blue eyes centered on the sleeping child curled up next to the nursing teenager. "Hey, how is she?"

"Physically, the kid's fine, but mentally…" Logan trailed off shaking his head as he approached his fellow team-mate. "I doubt we need to buy her own bed any time soon."

"Nightmares?"

"If it were just those." Logan sighed and picked the fabric from the floor. "Rogue and I sat next to her till she fell asleep. Laura was peacefully sleeping and we retreated to my room… to talk and watch TV." He held the little girl's sweatpants up, showing a wet spot. "We weren't gone for ten minutes when she suddenly screamed."

Marie's features were covered with worry. "We both have our own share of nightmares, but Laura… it wasn't the dream that had scared her half to death, but our presence when she woke up and realized she wasn't alone."

"She was like frozen as soon as she saw us. Her tears stopped at once and she began to tremble and apologize."

"Apologize?" Storm asked confused.

"For wetting the bed. Worst was that she shied away and begged us to not hurt her." His eyes were filled with concern for the girl and rage for the people that had hurt her. "It took us almost an hour to finally touch her and convince her that we wouldn't hit her."

Marie's gaze became sad as she looked down on the sleeping three-year old. "My presence seemed to trouble her the most until she saw that I didn't hurt Becca when she cried."

"Apparently, some fuckin' bitch had night shift and punished her for havin' nightmares." The Canadian clenched his fists in rage and his claws emerged from between his knuckles. "If I ever find out who that chick was…"

"Oh God, the poor child!" Storm stepped closer to the bed. "She seemed fine yesterday… but then again it was weird that she didn't cry in her new surroundings."

"I believe her calm and obedient attitude is her self-preservation mechanism to not provide a reason for punishment." Marie saw the other woman nod in acknowledgment. "The only thing that seems to calm her and hold the nightmares somewhat at bay is me lying close to her." Her hand not holding Becca ran gently up and down Laura's back. "She needs to feel body contact."

Logan was glad that Xavier had given him and Rogue the day off to go shopping for Laura, but after last night he doubt going to the mall and confronting the traumatized girl with even more new stuff was such a good idea. His gaze fell upon the plastic bag the weather witch held in one hand. "What's that, Ro?"

Storm wrinkled her forehead about the man's questioning expression, till she remembered the reason for her visit. "Oh this! The Professor asked me to pick up some supplies for the school and I thought I could spare you the trouble to hunt for clothes, Logan." Opening the bag she pulled a small yellow tee shirt, a demin skirt, underwear and little socks with butterflies out. "I also got her a pajama. I just hope it'll fit."

Logan let go of the laundry and picked the pink pajama top up. "Thanks, Ro. But that wasn't necessary. How much do I owe you?" If it was just him he wouldn't bother to ask, but he would provide for his family out of his own strength.

But the woman shook her head smiling. "Nothing. The professor already took care of it." Her gaze fell upon the much too large shirt the small girl was wearing as a nighty. "And it was necessary, Logan. Or had you planned to let her wear Rogue's shirts as dresses?"

The Canadian chuckled sheepishly. "Right."

"Not to mention that it would be pretty unfair when she figures her little sister has her own stuff to wear and she does not."

"Little sister?" Marie muttered and locked her gaze with her mate. It wasn't that she didn't think of Laura as their child, but somehow she hadn't made the connection that the two girls would be sisters from now on – though genetically Laura could be Becca's mother.

The weather witch noticed the young parents' sudden realization and decided to leave them alone. "I'll see you later then."

"Yeah..." Logan watched her open the door. "Thanks again, Ro."

"Bye, Miss Monroe."

Logan waited for the door to close as he sunk down on the desk chair with a thoughtful sigh. "You wanted a siblin' for Becca, Marie, seems like you got what you wanted."

The teenager held his gaze, her features a little upset. "This sounds like ya didn't want another kid."

"You know that ain't true... it's just... everythin' happened so fast." He ran his hand through his thick mane. "It's kinda worse than when Becca dropped into our lap out of the blue..."

"Oh, please sugah. Just say that ya wanna knock me up the old fashioned way." She wiggled her brows at him.

Chuckling he leaned back on the desk chair. "True..." Seriousness overtook his features. "I wanted to take it slower." His hazel eyes locked with her chocolate ones. "You're only seventeen and you already have two kids..." It still amazed him how easily Marie had adopted the idea of taking care of Laura as their child. Her kindness and love never seemed to end.

"Logan..."

"I wish we had more time to prepare."

"So do I, but she's here now and she needs us." Marie continued stroking Laura's back.

"Yeah." Logan got to his feet and picked the bag with Laura's new clothes up. After ripping the price tags off with his claws he placed the tee-shirt, skirt and underwear on the foot of the bed and put the rest of the clothes into one of Marie's drawers next to Becca's countless bibs and socks.

X X X X X

When Logan returned to his girls' room with a tray with hot cocoa, two glasses orange juice, a black coffee and three stacks of blueberry pancakes, he found Marie crouched down in front of Laura, who struggled to get the large 'nighty' over her head. "Ya sure, Ah shouldn't help ya, sweetie?"

A muffled "I can do tis" rang from the small girl knotted with the cloth.

Logan grinned amused as Laura began to turn in circles – reminding him of a dog chasing its own tail - and Marie trying to keep the child from falling or hitting the furniture. He placed the breakfast on Marie's desk and sat down on her bed next to a babbling Becca to enjoy the scene. The baby was lying on her belly and was trying to push herself up with her tiny hands and crawl on the bed-sheet. "Huh? Wanna have a better view, lil' skunk?" Lovingly the big Wolverine picked the fragile infant up and placed her onto his lap, leaving a peck on her downy head.

Becca clapped her hands happily and teetered back and forth while Laura emitted a frustrated cry and let herself fall onto her bottom. "Funny, huh?" whispered Logan into the baby's ear as she gargled amused.

Marie straightened the shirt back down the little girl's body – freeing her head. "Ah'm sure ya can do this on your own, but Ah would be happy to help ya a little, Laura."

The toddler huffed a little – unused to having help offered instead of harsh commands - but then she staggered back to her feet – the room was spinning a little – and she nodded unsure what to do now.

Marie smiled gently. "Rise your hands above your head." The girl complied and the teenager pulled the shirt up above the child's head, leaving her in only her new panties. "Now we can put on your new clothes."

Laura reached for the shirt Marie was about to change the girl into and took it from her.

The older brunette was a little surprised that the toddler still refused her help. "Fine, then without mah help..."

The child stuck her hands through the sleeves and dove her head under the fabric. When she reemerged a clueless look was on her features. "Why does you want to help me?"

Marie didn't want to correct the child. "Why not, babygirl?" This didn't seem to satisfy. "Ah like to help."

The frown didn't leave Laura's face, but the child reached for the skirt, inspecting it. "One hole?"

Marie grinned when the little brunette looked through the opening. "That's a skirt."

"No pants?"

"We'll buy ya pants soon. But now we have only that skirt for ya, sweetie." Marie saw the skeptical gaze and held the clothing in front of Laura, so the girl could step into it. When she had buttoned the skirt, the teen smiled reassuringly. "It suits ya, Laura."

A small smile tucked at the child's lips and she picked the socks up, inspecting them as well. "What tat?" She pointed at the butterfly-print.

"A butterfly."

"Why is it on te socks?"

"Umm..." Marie contemplated this question. She knew little kids were quite inquisitive, but Laura's questions startled her. "They are cute." She tried tentatively.

Logan chuckled and sank down on one of the desk chairs with Becca sitting on his lap, sucking on her little fist. "Let's eat 'fore the food is cold."

Marie helped the toddler put on the socks and then lifted her up and placed her onto her lap after taking her seat on the free chair. "Thanks for the breakfast, sugah."

The young parents dug into their food while Laura placed her fork into the syrup and let the viscous liquid drop down onto her plate.

"Laura?"

"What's tis?" The girl met her father's gaze and didn't miss him rolling his eyes as he had heard her question.

X X X X X

Chapter End Notes:

AN: I know it was a little short, but I hope you still liked it.