Story Notes:
Sometimes it feels like the world is against me and my Wolverine. One obstacle after another... but we make it through. You just gotta have hope and trust that things will work out.
“Come on Marie.” Logan complained as he started to pull on his shirt in their room. He wandered over to the mirror and checked his reflection without really caring. All that mattered to him was looking decent. He walked over and knelt beside the bed where she was sitting on the bed at nine o’clock reading. “You haven’t been out in days.”

Rogue shrugged not taking her eyes off the page. “I’m tired for once Logan. I want a night in.” She sighed as he gave her a look and she set down her worn copy of ‘The Taming of the Shrew’ by William Shakespeare. “Last night we had to do another training session in the danger room and the night before I had to help you with your late night self defence class. Fun as it was, Shakespeare is calling my name.”

Logan reached over and picked up the book she was reading. “Careful, I’m starting to think you find baldy here more attractive than me.” He held up the book, showing the back where there was a picture of Shakespeare.

Rogue snickered. “Well, he does have a way with words.” she grinned.
Logan rolled his eyes as he moved her legs onto his lap. “I can rhyme... well, sometimes.” He smiled back at her.

“Try putting it in iambic pentameter and old English and we’ll talk.” She felt his hands tighten around her legs comfortingly.

“Come on kid. I wanna go to the bar.”
Rogue fiddled with her bookmark. “Next time.” She said convincingly. “I promise.”

He groaned and got up slowly. She was not thrilled about him going out without her but since she didn’t want to go with him, it was unreasonable to complain. Their room still had the blank walls of a home that had just been moved into, but it had been two months since they had moves in together. For some reason, she just kept finding reasons not to decorate.

“Can I get that in writing?” he asked sarcastically as he leaned over her and kissed her gently before heading towards the door.

Her eyes narrowed slightly. “What’s that supposed to mean.”
Logan had one hand on the door and sighed, letting his shoulders relax before he turned around. He smiled back at her. “I’m just saying that next time I may not take no for an answer.”

Rogue bit her lip. “Sorry. I promise.”

He nodded and turned the doorknob, grabbing his jacket off the hook and left. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to go out with him, but sometimes she needed her alone time. It was a necessary outlet of hers. Even if she wasn’t in the room like he thought. A girl has to have her secrets, especially one like her. No one can no everything, and it made her feel vulnerable to think that anyone did.

Rogue had only just started to trust Logan and it was a hard situation building their life around what they had. Living in the mansion and being around the people that were there was well, interesting. So far, everyone had been rather nice to her without any problems. That was... everyone except for Jean.

She wouldn’t mind her much if Rogue hadn’t known something about her. It was the fact that there was history between Logan and her. He hadn’t told her, and she didn’t blame him for that. It wasn’t something that would come up often. They didn’t talk much about their previous relationships, even though Logan knew about the one she used to have with Magneto. They didn’t discuss that either. It made them both uncomfortable.

For the last while that she had been living there the only thing she had focused on was control, and under that she had felt like she was isolated more and more often. That hadn’t been her intention. She knew that Logan only was patient because he frequently talked with Xavier about her. But Charles only shared the utmost important things, like why Logan should be very understanding until she gets a hold on herself.

Rogue sighed as she grabbed a different book and opened the window, climbing out onto the roof above the kitchen which was right below them alone with the porch that was accessible through the kitchen. It looked out on a huge field and at the edge of which was a cliff that was a direct downfall into the ocean. There were some park benches on the edge along with a inviting gazebo that had a great view of everything. But Rogue constantly found herself simply sitting on this roof in the cold night air, reading.

Gulliver’s Travels, a good book by Jonathan Swift. So many adventures throughout it, and they were amazing ones. She loved to think about what would happen if she went traveling. But she couldn’t. She couldn’t leave now. She was only three chapters in when she started to hear the voices.

Rogue recognized them all. One was perky and over excited as usual with the girlish lack of vocabulary, being Kitty. Another was had a slight accent that she couldn’t pick up on, Jubilee. And the last, who was speaking the most was a calm more mature and confident voice. Jean.


“They’re fighting a lot.” Jean informed them, smiling with her red hair pulled back in a pony tail. She was wearing her silk matching PJs, a rose red colour that matched her colour tone and her toe nail polish. “I think that Logan is getting sick of her mood swings.”

Kitty gasped slightly. “What would happen if they... y’know, broke up or something?” she said, her voice high and perky. “Like, would she... stay here still?”

“I doubt that she would even wanta.” Jubilee decided. “Ah mean, ain’t he the reason she’s here anyways?” They were sitting at the table in front of the open sliding doors to let in a breeze as they drank their milk, with a couple cookies in front of them.

Jean reached out and grabber her glass off the table and took a sip of her milk. “One way or another, I don’t think that they’ll last long.” She glanced towards the window. “I mean Logan has his pick of any girl around, and he chose her? I have no idea why.” She knew that Rogue was listening.

Kitty shrugged and looked over a Jubilee. “I think she’s pretty okay. Not that I ever see her without him. She really keeps to herself.”

“Ah know.” Jubes agreed. “She was sittin in the livin room reading or something and when a group of us came in she just left... maybe she thinks she’s intruding.”

“Maybe she’s right.” Jean muttered taking a bite of a cookie. “You saw what she did to me and Ororo.” She hissed. “She could have killed us.”

Jubilee contemplated that a moment before she spoke. “Don’t that say something? Ah mean, she didn’t do it.”

“But she’s really, really strong.” Kitty pointed out. “Like, she could destroy the entire building with a thought. And you heard what the professor said. Now that she heals, every power she has heals too. So she can’t run out of her abilities like she used to.”

“It could come in handy.” Jubilee said. “But it also means she’s dangerous. Some of the younger kids are afraid of her, and the fact that she stays away from everyone just makes it worse.”

Jean took a deep breath and smiled slightly, but no one noticed. “Who knows how long Logan can put up with her now that they can both live forever.” She laughed slightly. “That’s going to backfire one day.”

Rogue couldn’t listen anymore, she pushed herself back through the window and closed it. But she could still hear them because of Logan’s super hearing. She rushed through her room dropping her book to the ground and closed the bathroom door turning on some music and the shower. It didn’t block out everything. But it blocked out enough.