Rogue took every step up the stairs slowly. One at a time. She felt like an idiot, knowing that she and Logan weren’t going out tonight, and she had gone and dolled herself up like a fool. Now she just looked pathetic. She finally reached the top of the stairs and looked down the hall. It had never looked so short.

The paintings along the corridor stared at her as she walked down towards her room. She had made it there in a too short amount of time. She had no idea what she was going to say. Because she believe what had happened was her fault. She set her hand on the doorknob. There was no turning back now. He would know that she was there.

Rogue walked through the door, past the small table at the entrance. She saw her gloves and put them on. They made her feel a little bit better. The warmth in them was comforting. It made her feel safe.

Logan was sitting on the ground leaning against the bed holding one of her books. It was the Greek Myth classics, and he was flipping through the pages and reading what she had written in pencil beside the literature. There were sticky notes throughout the book, marking her favourite parts and short stories. He didn’t look up at her when she walked in. But he spoke. “You write what you think in your books?”

Rogue took a deep breath. “What I think, what they mean, what other meanings could be there, favourite lines, repetition, metaphors... and theories about another way the story could have ended.” She said slowly as she walked over and sat down beside him. He still didn’t look at her.

“You really like to read huh?” he murmured.
“Yes.” She answered, trying to keep her voice steady.

He nodded slowly, setting down the book on top of another pile of her books he had been looking at. He rubbed his face with his hands. “What you saw...” he murmured. “I would never...”

“I know.” She interrupted him. She sighed as she tried to put this behind her, never wanting to think about it again. “You make mistakes sometimes Logan but you aren’t stupid.”

Logan chuckled mildly, but not for long. “I wouldn’t fool around on you Marie.”

She nodded her eyes on the floor. “But you didn’t tell me about the history you had with her.” She murmured. When he glanced over at her, with anger in her eyes she cringed slightly and continued. “I know it’s silly Logan but she just rubs me the wrong way... and I’m not going to try to convince you of what she’s trying to do, but I just plain old don’t like her.”

“You’re gonna have to put up with her Marie.” He muttered. She was smart enough to detect that dangerous tone in his voice. “I don’t see any reason why I should have to give up a friend because you’re being paranoid.”

Anger began to course through her and she stood up immediately. “Paranoid?” she hissed angrily. “You must be blind because I’m cannot be the only one who sees the way she looks at you.”

“Wow Marie,” he growled standing up, he had a full foot of height on her. “I sure do mark ‘em wrong sometimes. I never would have thought you the jealous type.”

Fire sparked in her eyes. “I’m not jealous Logan. I am just done pretending she doesn’t bother me.”

“You think I didn’t talk to you about my relationship with her because it isn’t done yet?” he demanded, getting angrier. There wasn’t a hint of sympathy in his voice as he towered over her.

“No,” she yelled up at him. “I think you didn’t want to talk about it because you still have feelings for her!” she screamed. “You could have just told me Logan! It’s not like I’m hiding something from you!”

“Oh here we go.” He shouted, glad the window wasn’t open. “You’re not hiding anything from me?” he demanded. “How about the fact that you used to date bucket head huh?” His voice echoed around their room. “You honestly believe that I don’t think about that? Especially when you duck around the subject of him all the time?”

“They have nothing in common!” she screamed at him. “I stay the fuck away from him! You don’t catch me flirting with him in the TV room for everyone to see!”

“So you don’t believe that there’s nothing between us.” He growled. “Fine. But if you don’t damn well know that I would never cheat on you then you don’t know me!”

Rogue grabbed her black leather jacket and pulled it on heading for the door. “I know more about you than you do asshole!” she yelled at him as she opened the door. She turned around “I have more of your memories than you!” And she slammed the door behind her.

Rogue trudged down the stairs towards the door not bothering to look back because she knew he wouldn’t follow her after what she had said. He was sensitive about his memories. And she should have known better than to poke at that. There was something about his past that made him feel small. When it came to his memories, he felt lost and alone. It always made him wonder who he was, why he was doing everything he was doing, and how it had gotten to this point. Rogue felt horrible for using that against him, but she had wanted to make him hurt as much as he hurt her.

Frustrated she left the mansion, getting on the black motorcycle that the professor had bought her as a home warming gift, even though she could have bought herself one. She hadn’t used it till now, but she knew how to ride one thanks to Logan.

He hadn’t taught her. It was an ability she had acquired.

Rogue rode for a long time, just feeling the wind rush over her. He helmet hid her face which she liked. The glass that covered her eyes was tinted. Since it was dark, she lifted it. Finally she had no idea how long she had been driving for, so she pulled over at the next bar she saw. It wasn’t like she could get drunk now because of Logan’s stupid ability that would heal her liver immediately.

She walked up to the bar, pulling off her helmet. Just a beer would do it for now, but she was just getting started. He handed her the big glass and she reached into her jacket pocket, pulling out her wallet before someone was beside her handing the bartender money. “This one’s on me.” He growled with a dark smile. Rogue picked up the cup and took a big gulp. He grinned at her. “You’re looking nice. Special occasion?”

“Not now.” She pleaded. “I’m not in the mood Sabre-tooth.”

She had forgotten how much he looked like his brother, similar facial hair and the same eyes. But he had a close cut haircut. Must be easier to deal with. “My name is Viktor.” She glanced over at him and nodded. When she didn’t say anything else he continued. “I’m just curious what you’re doing out.” He murmured. “I thought you had plans.”

Rogue ignored his taunting tone. “Plans change.”

He smiled. “Have a fight?”
“What do you want?” she sighed.

“Nothing at all.” He told her, wrapping one hand around his beer. “Just join me for a drink?” he gestured to the empty booth in the far corner. “You can tell me ‘bout yur boy troubles.” He grinned, incorrigible.

Rogue found herself sitting at the table with Viktor, something she never thought she would end up doing in a million years. She had always thought he was too flirtatious and was constantly disappearing. She pressed her forehead against one palm closing her eyes. They had been talking for a long while. “I just don’t see what’s appealing about her.”

Viktor laughed at her tone, filled with pure annoyance and clear envy. “Jean has that certain element that every guy likes.” He explained calmly taking a swig of his beer.

“And that is?” Rogue pressed.
He shrugged. “Every time she talks, it seems like she wants to sleep with you.”

Viktor grinned when he heard her teeth lock together angrily. She was beginning to get tired, a bit woozy even, from the drinks. “You mean she acts like a slut?” She qualified.

He shook his head. “Call it what you want. Don’t really care. One way or another, she just has that vibe.” He glanced over at a nearby waitress as she passed by and then looked back at Rogue who was staring down at the table scowling. “You on the other hand, give off the vibe like you’re in pain constantly and you’ll hit anyone who touches you.”

Rogue realized it then, finishing her drink, not willing to admit she was getting drunk. “You mean scent.” She said glaring at him for not letting her in on the secret. “You mean that she gives off the scent of arousal rather than my scent of distaste and annoyance.”

“I’m guessing Logan shared this with you.” He said pushing another drink towards her.

She took it and glanced at the window, it was pitch black outside now. Nearly 1:00 am. But she nodded. “Yes, this was explained.” She sighed. “So you think that he likes her too?”

Viktor froze, holding the bottle to his lips at her question. He set it down and looked in her eyes a moment, like he was searching for something before he took a deep breath. “A guy can appreciate a body without actually being into it.” He shrugged. “She’s got nothing on you though.”

“You’re just saying that ‘cause you’re drunk.” She hissed, pointing at him and stumbling over her words slightly. She took a big gulp of her drink. How many of these had she had now?

He rolled his eyes. “I can’t get drunk.”
“Well I can’t either.” She replied easily with a smile.

She saw his eyebrows pulling together out of confusion and amusement. “And why is that?”
Rogue shrugged with a guilty smile. “well, ‘apparently, I got a good dose of Logan and now I can heal just like him.” She grinned holding up her drink to cheers with him, and he clinked his bottle against hers as he thought about that. “And you.” She laughed.

He nodded before he glanced up at the clock and his jaw tensed. “Hey, don’t you think you should be heading home?” he murmured slowly. She looked up at the time and sighed. He smiled at her. “I can stay out all night. But you could get in trouble.”

Rogue groaned. “I can’t believe I’m drunk... isn’t that impossible?”
Viktor grinned darkly, finishing what was left of his drink. “Nothing’s impossible.”

She sighed. “Ah’d better go,” she said, grabbing her jacket off the seat beside her and pulling it on. She reached into the pocket and pulled out her wallet.

Viktor rolled his eyes and pushed her hands away. “Come on,” he muttered. “You think I’ll let you pick up the tab?” he laughed. “You don’t make money the easy way anymore.”

“Thanks,” she muttered getting up and stumbling slightly. “Wow. I... have not been this tipsy in a while.”
He grabbed her arm to keep her from falling over. “It’s good to cut loose once in a while.”

Rogue laughed slightly. “Not this loose.” She muttered. “I shouldn’t be this drunk... Logan can’t get drunk...” She told him as they walked out of the bar as she pulled out the keys to her bike and grabbing her helmet to pull it on.

“Woah there girlie. Wait a sec.” He pulled her away from her bike. “You think I’m gonna let you drive like this?”
“I’m fine Viktor. Just one too many. I’ll survive.” She pulled away from him trying to get on again.

“Don’t be an idiot Rogue. I’ll drive you.” He murmured.
“But my bike...” she said quietly.

He rolled his eyes and walked over, picking it up and putting it in the back of his truck like it was a small bookshelf. “Wow.” Rogue murmured in admiration.

Viktor chuckled as he took her hand and pulled her towards the passenger side. He opened the door and picked her up, placing her on the seat like a kid.

“Hey, hey, hey. Stop that!” she hissed. “I can do it myself.” He held his hands up in surrender before she glared at him. “Why wouldn’t you try anything with me?” she asked.

Viktor raised an eyebrow and gave her a look. “Try anything?” he repeated. “You mean like try to take you home?” he closed her door and walked around, getting into the driver’s seat. “I suppose any other girl I might.” He admitted. “But really? I think you would kill me if I did. So I’d rather just place nice.”

Rogue thought about it a moment, before she knew it she agreed. “Good answer.” She murmured.
He rolled his eyes at her. “Besides, pissing Logan off? Fun as it would be, ain’t a good idea.”

They drove in mostly silence for the ride home while Rogue played with the radio. She leaned back once she found one playing a song she didn’t hate. She took a deep breath, beginning to sober up. “Why aren’t you as drunk as I am?”

There was a look of concern in his eyes before he finally looked calm again and answered. “There’s our size difference, there’s the fact I’ve had this healing thing a lot longer than you have. And your ability is second hand inherited. It’s possible it has its defects.”

The pulled up in front of the mansion. All the lights were off and it didn’t look like anyone was away. Since it was almost 2 in the morning that made sense. They got out of the car and he picked up her bike setting it down next to her. Rogue glanced over the bike at Viktor who was staring at her, there was something new in his eyes. “Thanks.” She said finally. “For the ride.”

He nodded. “No problem at all.”
Rogue was about to go on her way before she glanced back at him, and took a step closer. For just a moment she wasn’t thinking. And she leaned towards him and gently pressed her lips against his. It only took a moment for him to start leaning into her, but with restraint. There was hesitation in her and he sensed it, but didn’t want to stop. Finally—but suddenly she pulled away from him.

She stared down at the ground, trying to understand what had happened but she wanted to pretend it hadn’t happened at all. She grabbed the handles of the bike and started to walk away, too embarrassed to look back.

Viktor leaned against his truck with a smile on his face. It wouldn’t be long now. But both of them said the same thing.

“Whoops.”