Author's Chapter Notes:
Almost four years and more than 50,000 words later, the end! I hope you all enjoy it, and you're probably just as relieved as me!



The pain was almost unbearable, but Rogue knew she could make it through. She regulated her breathing the way she was supposed to, walked when the contractions weren’t flooding through her, and prayed to whatever God might be out there that this would end soon. Hank had said that she was eight centimeters dilated but the contractions were still far enough apart that he didn’t think the actual birth was going to happen within the next hour. Rogue had growled at him that he could keep any other unhelpful information to himself.

Her two favorite men stood to one side of the medlab watching her warily as she paced back and forth, hands clenching in the thin gown over her distended stomach from time to time. Neither of them knew what to do, so they stayed out of the way as much as possible. It was an awkward time at best, but soon it would all be over.

‘Ro and Jubilee came rushing in moments later. The white-haired weather goddess had gone out to pick up Rogue’s friend when Hank declared it was really time, unlike the past weeks of false labor. Unfortunately Kitty had two exams that day, but she would be driving in as soon they were over. Jubilee fussed and drove Rogue crazy asking questions, but her nagging was a comfort to Rogue all the same.

“Yes, Jubes, Ah’m remember the breathing…ARGH…exercises!” Rogue shouted as another pain hit.

“I think they’re getting closer. Didn’t that seem closer, Logan?” Scott whispered in the corner.

“Maybe we should get Hank,” was all Logan would say in answer, his irritation high over the pain Rogue was in.

The woman in question turned to glare at them. “Ah am not ready yet. Let Hank have some food so that he doesn’t pass out when he’s trying to get this baby out of me!” she ground out even as another pain hit.

‘Ro rubbed a soothing hand over her back. “I do think that your contractions are coming much closer together, Rogue. Perhaps we should get Hank after all.”

Apparently the suggestion from a woman was much easier than from a man, or the pains were getting that bad, because Rogue gave in with a sigh. “Fine. Pull him away from his dinner for all Ah care. Ah just wish there was a way to hurry this stubborn child along!” she said with a glare towards Scott since she was already a week overdue.

He raised his hands. “Oh, no! Don’t look at me. I’m pretty sure we all know who she’s inheriting her stubbornness from!” he made the mistake of saying.

Logan slapped him on the back and pushed him to the door even as Rogue gave him a look that said she would happily disembowel him if she wasn’t in the middle of another contraction. “Why don’t you go get Hank before she kills you? We’ll get her into bed,” he said loudly to distract the irate woman in front of them and give Scott a chance to get away.

Rogue turned on Logan at that, as predicted. “Logan, Ah do not need help getting onto a damn…ARGH! BED!,” she shouted around the next pain.

“Oh yes, you do, chica. C’mon, let Wolvie there help you,” Jubilee urged, a slight edge of panic in her voice since this was her first time witnessing childbirth.

While Rogue complained Logan scooped her up and placed her gently on the bed just in time for her to dig her fingers into his arm because of another contraction. He heard the bone snap but ignored the pain. After all, his would heal while hers had to continue until this was done.

Hank hurried into the room still wiping his mouth on a napkin, Scott following closely behind. He scrubbed up quickly when he saw how close Rogue’s contractions were getting and came over to examine her.

“Ah thought you said it would be at least another hour, Hank!” Rogue panted at him, her breathing mostly forgotten.

“Babies aren’t exactly predictable, Marie. Aren’t you glad that this is almost over?” he muttered as he bent to perform his examination.

Rogue snorted but then sighed in relief when he announced that she was a full ten centimeters dilated and fully effaced. Logan stayed by her side so that she would have someone to grab on to if necessary who wouldn’t be hurt by her strength. Scott moved next to Hank along with ‘Ro, ready to act as his assistants. They had been preparing for this for more than a month and all knew their carefully orchestrated roles. Logan hadn’t complained when Scott wanted to cut the cord, while Scott had admitted that Logan really was the best one to stand beside Rogue thanks to his mutation. Sometimes they only managed civil even now, but there were friendlier moments in there as well which gave them all hope for the future.

The little girl arrived quickly for all that she had tried to remain in her mama’s stomach as long as possible. Her hair was more chestnut than dark brown like Rogue’s, but Logan thought that she had Rogue’s nose and mouth. Rogue thought that she had Scott’s eyes, but she didn’t mention that because she didn’t want him to worry. No matter who she looked like, though, all three could agree that they fell in love with her at first sight, wrinkled red skin and all.

“What are you going to name her?” Logan asked, carefully avoiding addressing either Rogue or Scott and showing that he accepted that either of them could answer.

Rogue looked at Scott, then Logan, ‘Ro, and Hank. “She’s Catherine Jubilation Summers,” she announced happily, which earned her smiles, groans, and laughter. “Ah want to name her for my three best friends.”

Logan nodded slowly and reached over to smooth a hand over the small dark head. “No matter what her name, she’s one lucky kid because she has you for a mama.”

Rogue smiled up at him. “Ah think she’s lucky because she has all of us for a family,” she replied, reaching out to take his hand.

And of course, they were both right.
Chapter End Notes:
Whew. Thank goodness I finally managed it! So what do you think of the final product? Good? Bad? You hated it? You loved it? I'd love to know.