Author's Chapter Notes:
Another productive day at work. :-D

In which we find out about the "situation." Mwuahahaha!
Rogue entered the Professor's office with her teammates and chose a seat on one of the couches along the wall near his desk. Scott stood next to her, hands in his pockets, and something in his stance made Rogue think he had also picked up on the slightly hesitant tone of Professor Xavier's mental call. Something about this situation must be delicate for the Professor to sound like that.

Once everyone was seated, Xavier moved his wheelchair around his desk so that he was sitting among them. While was was not entirely unusual, Rogue detected something in his manner that suggested he felt that they were going to need the moral support often found in the sense of “family” that they all shared. She felt her stomach muscles clench painfully and concentrated on breathing deeply and evenly. She had a feeling she was going to need every scrap of calm she could muster.

“I have received information on a mutant holding facility and experimental laboratory located near Las Vegas. My informants believe that the facility is being guarded by a mixture of paramilitary units and mutants either controlled or hired by them. They appear to have between ten and fifteen mutant victims currently in holding. None of the captives appears to be in danger of dying, but I do not want to take too long on the planning. I have called Piotr in from Boston and John from New York City. Piotr is available for pick up whenever we need him, and John is willing to handle security here for a couple of days. We should have specifics on the layout of the facility within the hour.” The Professor paused. Up until that this had been the normal pre-mission sort of briefing, so Rogue had begun to relax. That pause had her hackles up again, especially when Xavier looked down for a moment and then straight at Scott.

“The informants would like a chance to help out on this one. A young friend of theirs was grabbed by this group a few days ago. That is how they found the facility,” he said calmly.

Rogue felt more than saw Scott stiffen. “We can't afford to have untrained--” he began.

“They are not untrained,” Xavier interrupted, a rare move for him.

Just like that, Rogue knew. She felt the blood drain from her face, her lips tightening. Instinctively she looked at Scott. He knew, too. She could tell by the way he folded his arms suddenly, fists clenched. If anything, his face was paler than hers felt. Scanning the room, Rogue saw when the others picked up on it as they began to scowl or fidget as their individual personalities called for. Only 'Ro gazed back at her serenely, and Rogue took strange comfort in her unruffled demeanor. It helped her return her attention to the Professor, whom she was sure was testing the mental climate of the room.

“Jean and Logan have been staying at a ranch I own north of Las Vegas. One of the hired hands there was the mutant who was captured. They want to help rescue him,” Xavier said, then he took a deep breath. “I believe we should let them.”

When most of the team burst into protests, the Professor let them go for a few moments, a sad and tired expression on his face. Only Scott, Rogue and 'Ro were silent, although their teammates were certainly doing their best to make up for them in the volume department. Xavier finally stopped them after Bobby made the comment, “Why should we work with someone we don't trust!”

“Jean and Logan may have made personal choices we do not approve of, but their professional abilities are still some of the best in their respective fields,” Xavier cut in sternly, quelling the protesters with a look. He turned back to Scott. “According to Logan, there are two shifts of twenty fighters, not to mention ten scientists and administrative personnel. A good third of the fighters are mutants, as well. So the team would be going in outnumbered anyway, and if they manage to get a call out for reinforcements...” He let them consider that for a moment. “You're going to need all the help you can get.”

The room was silent as Scott considered that. Rogue twisted her fingers together tightly, still concentrating on her breathing. In and out, nice and slow.

“All right,” Scott finally conceded, his voice harsh. “But they'll be working with Storm, Beast and Collosus. I'll take Rogue, Jubilee, Shadowcat and Iceman.” Scott always used their code names when referring to anything mission-oriented. “Storm's team will handle the military while we get in, rescue those we can, and torch the place on the way out.” It was probably one of his simplest plans yet, which meant he was still too angry at the necessity of including Logan and Jean to come up with all sorts of elaborate “fixes” they might not ever need.

Rogue let out a deep sigh of relief when she heard the team divided up that way. There were some grumbles, but since 'Ro and Hank accepted the need gracefully, they all settled down fairly quickly. After the Professor assured them that he would give Logan and Jean an estimated time of arrival once they took off, the team headed down to the sub levels. It looked like quick showers and uniforms were the new order of the day.

Scott caught Rogue's arm just before she followed the other women into their locker room.

“How are you holding up?” he asked gently once they were alone in the hall.

Rogue looked up at him. “Ah don't know. Ah guess...Ah didn't let myself think about facing them again, especially not so soon,” she replied uncertainly.

Scott wrapped his arms around her, and she leaned into him, resting her cheek on his chest. “I didn't expect it either, but we can make it through this. I'll be right there for you, Rogue,” he told her.

Rogue tipped her head back so that her eyes met his shrouded ones. Her dark brown eyes were bright with unshed tears. “Marie,” she whispered. When he frowned, she said more firmly, “My name is Marie.”

She reached up to frame his face with her hands and pressed a soft kiss to his mouth. “Ah know you'll be there for me, just like Ah will be for you,” she murmured against his lips as his arms tightened around her. Their kiss deepened, becoming more heated.

“Hey, Rogue, you com—Oh!” Jubilee stood in the doorway to the locker room, eyes so wide it was possible they might fall out.

Rogue pulled away slowly as Scott's arms dropped. “Don't forget what I said,” he told her with a slight smile.

“Ah won't,” Rogue replied softly as she allowed Jubilee to drag her into the area where the other two women were already undressed and about to go to the showers.

“Oh, my God, Rogue!” Jubilee cried, hands on her hips. “When did you and Scott get together?”

Kitty froze in her tracks while 'Ro continued on, then she turned around to stare.

Rogue blushed as she began to remove her clothes. “It's not like that, Jubes. We're just friends...” she protested.

“Yeah, with benefits, from what I saw!” Jubilee stated, grinning as she stripped.

Rogue shook her head. “Not really...well, there was last night, but...we haven't really talked about it. It's just...comfort. Honest!” she said as she grabbed a towel and her shower caddy out of her locker.

Jubilee and Kitty stared at her some more, their mouths hanging open. “Last night?” Kitty squeaked.

“Yeah, but look, we're really just friends. C'mon, we'd better get ready,” Rogue muttered as she hurried into a shower stall. Behind her, Jubilee whispered loudly to Kitty, “I need a friend like that!”

Rogue let the hot water wash away her embarrassment as she quickly showered, careful not to get her hair wet. After all, she was nineteen now. She was entitled to a sexual relationship if she wanted one, even if her choice was a friend instead of a man she was in love with. After all, she cared about Scott. The affection they shared was more than enough for her battered heart. She didn't want anything more, she told herself firmly.

Rogue shut off the water and briskly toweled her skin dry. She wrapped the towel around herself and stepped out into minor chaos. The four women dressed as quickly as possible, underwear, leather uniforms, hair secured back into utilitarian ponytails if it was long enough. Rogue was thankful for her short style as she ran a brush through it and admired her new uniform in the mirror. Similar to her old one, this one was sleeveless, and it fit her even better than the previous one, although it wasn't so tight she couldn't fight in it. Since they were the first done, she and Jubilee, whose hair was even shorter than hers, left to grab the packs of protein bars and water that would have to be their dinner. Jubilee was mercifully silent, which was unusual for her, but Rogue caught her wicked grin once or twice and knew that her friend wasn't in the least upset about what she had seen. Rogue grinned back a little smugly despite the cold lump her stomach had become.

Both young women quit smiling once they reached the Blackbird. The mood that descended over the group was decidedly grim. They boarded the jet and settled into their seats. Rogue sat behind Scott and stared at the back of his head for a few minutes after take-off before she decided that the best way to pass the flight would be to sleep. It seemed like everyone except Scott and 'Ro, pilot and copilot, had the same idea. Rogue drifted off into a doze even as a chorus of soft snores and grunts reached her ears. She slipped into a deeper sleep and didn't even wake up for the short landing to pick up Piotr, a sophomore at Harvard now.

“All right, people, we're almost there,” Scott said loudly.

They woke and stretched with groans, then food and water were passed around as a strained silence descended. Even Piotr, who had only heard about the incident with Logan and Jean second-hand, seemed to pick up the tension.

Scott landed the Blackbird in what looked like a pasture and lowered the hatch. They waited on board until two sets of footsteps, one heavy and one light, echoed on the metal ramp. Rogue was tempted to snap the thing up prematurely, but she refrained despite the hum of metal she felt in her veins. She kept her eyes on the windshield instead, trying to admire the sunset. She practiced her deep breathing again, and it almost helped. Almost.

Of them all, only 'Ro murmured a greeting as the hatch closed. Rogue heard rustling as Logan and Jean settled, and then they were off again. She thought she heard Logan mutter something about a “warm welcome,” and it took all her strength to grip the armrests and keep her mouth shut on the screaming profanity she wanted to spew at them. She was pretty sure she even managed to lock it down inside her head as well. Thus she continued the silent treatment she had started the morning after she discovered them in the kitchen.
Chapter End Notes:
Now for another flashback chapter. It's even halfway written! (Yes, it was a REALLY boring work day.)