Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it's been forever for this one, too. Sorry!
Rogue and Jubilee changed back into their street clothes. Jubilee teased her mercilessly until Rogue let one or two comments about her all-too-obvious interest in Remy drop. That stopped her friend long enough for Rogue to pull on a more flattering top than the one she’d been wearing earlier in the day, this one black and green lace lined with a black silk shell. The black skirt would do, but instead of her flats Rogue pulled on a pair of knee-high boots that she thought Logan might appreciate.

After they were dressed, Rogue and Jubilee grabbed Ororo’s clothes, piled neatly on the bed, and stuffed them into the duffel she’d had her uniform in. Rogue assured Jubilee that there would be a place for her to chance at the White Dove. Better to get there quickly so she could, Rogue explained, than let her neighbors see so many of them dressed all in leather again, putting who knew what kind of notions into their heads on the same night that a mysterious fire might be reported on in the north.

To Rogue’s disappointment, Logan was fully dressed when she and Jubilee reentered the living room. He must have noticed the slight droop in her shoulders because he smirked as he picked up the men’s duffels.

“Ready to go join the party, darlin’?” he asked, obviously pretending to ignore Jubilee who was leering suggestively between the two of them.

Before Rogue could reply, her friend piped up, “I’m sure you two could do some partying of your own here if you want me to give everyone else your regards.”

Rogue blessed the fact that she had a free hand as she smacked the back of Jubilee’s head. “Mind out of the gutter now, Jubes! Let’s go,” she said with a roll of her eyes towards Logan to disguise the embarrassment she felt. He didn’t help matters when his smirk widened. Rogue stuck her nose in the air and led the way out of her apartment.

Logan grabbed her hand as she passed. She squeezed his fingers and then let go to grab her purse from the hook beside the door. The stairs were a little awkward to navigate going down thanks to the large bags; it had been easier carting them up! Finally they were back down at the car, and Rogue fished around in her purse for her keys.

“Looking for these?” Logan dangled her keys in front of her.

Rogue grimaced. “Yeah. Maybe Ah’m still tired,” she said ruefully as she eyed them. “You want to drive again?” There, that wasn’t him taking control or her being weak. She was just acknowledging that her attention might not all be on the road, a dangerous situation at a time of night when they might be dodging drunks, both walking and driving.

“As long as you promise not to fall asleep this time. I think I definitely need the help finding my way around this damn warren of a city.” Logan eyed the narrow street she had lived on for the past year.

Rogue giggled, a carefree sound that surprised her. She didn’t giggle, for goodness sake. Best to nip that in the bud as soon as possible! She forced herself to settle for a more sedate smile, no matter how much it felt like small bubbles of relief were popping in her chest, lifting her spirits. This could work. She started to really believe that being around him, maybe even being in a relationship with him, could be doable.

Jubliee broke into her reverie by pushing forward to open the back hatch. She stowed her duffel, gave Rogue a look, and then climbed into the back seat. Rogue let her grin spread again and threw Ororo’s bag in, relying on Logan to close the gate after he crammed in the other bags. She hopped into passenger seat, buckled her seat belt and then stared out at the New Orleans night in front of her. She was going to miss this city, she knew, but it was going to be worth it to be with her family again. When Logan got in on the driver’s side and immediately took her hand in his, twining their fingers together, Rogue smiled and leaned towards him, ostensibly to give him directions but really just to be close him.

Within minutes they were pulling into a public parking lot a few blocks from the White Dove. Since it was the largest one so close to their destination, it made sense to Rogue to see Scott, Piotr, Ororo and Bobby waiting for them, all still in their leather uniforms. Ororo grabbed her clothes and scrambled around in the back of the SUV she’d arrived in to change, while Scott, Piotr and Bobby took turns cramming into Rogue’s SUV so that they could twist and turn enough to get out of their uniforms and into jeans and T-shirts. Jubilee bounced into the bar, obviously on the look-out for a certain red-haired, red-eyed man. Rogue wished her luck with a laugh.




While they waited on their teammates, Logan took the opportunity to wrap an arm around Rogue’s waist and draw her near. When she shot him a quick smile and settled in against his side, he felt a part of himself that had been constantly irritated for far too long settle to a quieter brooding. He knew he wouldn’t feel completely at ease until he had Rogue back with him at the mansion. He wondered how long it would take for her to move back as he stared down at the top of her dark head, mesmerized by the white strands mixing with the dark in her long hair.

Scott stepped up to them wearing jeans and a T-shirt that didn’t look as if they’d been stuffed into a duffle bag hours earlier. Did the man fold up the damn things, Logan wondered. He wasn’t sure what irritated him more, Scott’s immaculate-after-a-battle appearance or the way his eyebrows reached for his hairline when he saw Logan’s arm around Rogue.

“Are you happy we got your friend out in one piece, Rogue?” was all Scott said, though. Logan supposed he should be grateful that the younger man wasn’t trying to interrogate them like an irate father or something.

“Of course Ah am, Scott. Ah don’t know what Ah would have done if they had hurt her or killed her. Now Ah guess we just have to wait and see if there’s any permanent unseen damage,” Rogue said, frowning slightly and shivering.

“The Professor is arranging for all of the former captives to receive the very best medical care and a place to stay if they don’t have one,” Scott said. Then he cleared his throat. “There’s the matter of your apartment…”

Logan saw Rogue stare at Scott uncomprehendingly for a few moments, and he admitted to himself that he didn’t know what Scott was getting at. Rogue caught on a little more quickly, though.

“Oh, you mean the Professor will be needing my apartment to house them?” she asked, consternation flooding those beautiful brown eyes.

Scott nodded slowly. “He at least needs you to share for a while. Xavier only has so many properties here in New Orleans that are habitable, and he doesn’t want to call in too many favors with friends in the area yet when a little rearranging could fit everyone comfortably.”

“And it would leave all of those favors for him to call on later,” Rogue guessed shrewdly. Logan was glad to see that the shock was giving way to plain old speculation.

“Exactly,” Scott said. “You wouldn’t have to share for long—“

“Oh, Ah’m not going to share,” Rogue said, startling Scott but giving Logan sudden hope.

“You’re not?” There was no question that Scott was confused by her apparent defiance.

“Nope. Ah’m going to come back to the mansion where Ah belong,” she said, giving Logan a shy smile. “Ah love New Orleans, but it’s not home.”

From the corner of his eye Logan registered Scott’s shock turn to relief. That surprised Logan a little; Scott was the first one he would have expected to protest any sort of relationship between Rogue and him. Instead, Scott just gripped Rogue’s arm lightly, the one that wasn’t pressed up against Logan’s side.

“We’ll be glad to have you back. Do you want me to tell your boss?” he asked, tilting his head sideways towards the shadowed doorway of the White Dove.

Rogue looked at him with a wider smile and shook her head. “No, Ah’ll do it. Ah think he’s been expecting it for a while. He was the one who asked me to call y’all and get you to come help us with our problem,” she revealed as she pulled gently away from Logan. “Ah’ll just go in and let him know while you two wait for the others.”

Before Logan or Scott could protest, she slipped into the bar and closed the door behind her. They looked at each other. For the life of him, Logan couldn’t figure out why she had done this. He and Scott barely got along. They weren’t going to be having a heart to heart or anything, for goodness sake.

But Scott must have had something to get off his chest.

“You didn’t see her face the day she left, Logan, but I did. Just remember, if you ever do anything to put that look on her face again, I don’t care if you have all that extra healing and the metal skeleton. I will find a way to make you hurt ten times worse,” he said quietly.

Logan just stared at his team leader in silence for a few moments. They stood far enough away from where Bobby was waiting his turn to change that he knew the boy hadn’t heard, but there was no reason to let either younger man think he could be so easily intimidated. Finally he relented and said gruffly, “I already have been.” Then he turned and followed Rogue into the bar.
Chapter End Notes:
Just one more chapter, I think. The end is nigh!