Author's Chapter Notes:
Sooooooo busy lately! But here it is!
We sat in some fancy restaurant with a fountain and dim lighting. I fiddled with my napkin as I continued to avoid his eyes, which no doubt would lock with mine and insist that I tell him. I took a deep breath before letting myself look at him for the first time since the waitress had flirted heavily, and the hostess had checked him out when she thought I wasn’t looking.

I knew that he was aware of them, he simply didn’t acknowledge it, keeping his gaze on me while they all but threw themselves at him. “I’m rather certain you don’t want to know what happened Cajun.”

He took a sip of his wine, holding my gaze as he did so. “Remy can guess.”
I closed my eyes, not wanting to think of Jubilee badgering me for answers. “What’re the rumours?”
The corner of his lips lifted into a smirk. “Now dat’s something you don’ wanna know chere.” My teeth clenched. He was right. “But what happened?

“We went swimming, and to a bar, and had bonfires and he taught me to fish.” I fiddled with my napkin, just as the waitress walked by. “Can I have an apple martini please?” She nodded with a smile.

When I glanced back at him he was grinning. “Remy is picking up a pattern here.” I raised an eyebrow and he continued. “Why did you start drinking?” I bit my lip.

“I drank on the trip too.” I pointed out, hoping to ruin his theory.
He shrugged. “Sounds like Logan is still linked to de habit.” When I ignored him he simply kept talking. “Pain too much to handle?”

“That’s enough Remy.” I muttered darkly.
He held up his hands in surrender. “Den tell me what happened.”
Just then she came back with my drink, and I took a sip before speaking. “One little fling never hurt anybody.” I said calmly.
His red eyes flickered like fire, with one pensive glance. “’Cept you Rogue.”

***

Remy took my hand as we walked out of the restaurant, nudging me to ignore the death glare shot at me from the waitress. There’s nothing like knowing you’re with what everyone else wants. I couldn’t help but smile slightly, being held like a trophy, rather than a secret, was nice.

He made Logan seem like such an ass.
Pleased that it hurt a little less to think about him, I snickered slightly. Well, he is and ass.

He opened his car door for me with a smile. He’s the type of boy my mamma would want for me. A sensible, respectable gentleman. And I knew that he’d be nothing less than business like with my father. If they were around. I closed my eyes and rubbed my forehead.

It wasn’t a second later before I was thinking about Logan. The way his arms would tighten around me protectively as we laid in bed next to each other. And the way he’d smile when he caught me staring. How he’d look when he was driving, thoughtful and hardly aware of anything but the road. Ice froze over my heart as I caught myself, lost in meaningless details. He had invaded my mind, by leaving himself on every thought I had. And I hated him for it.

Slowly, I remembered the fish he had let go.
Learn from the experience, and grow. So that’s what I’ll need to do.

When we got back to the mansion I knew I was more than a little drunk. I was laughing for the first time in what felt like forever. Remy wrapped his arms around me, pulling me off of my feet, making me shriek as we entered the mansion. I didn’t have a second thought before he set me down, mumbling something in French that sounded sinister.

“Havin’ fun Gumbo?” I heard a voice say. It took me a moment to recognize who it belonged to. Because I had never heard it so dark, so menacing. I didn’t want to believe that I knew the person the voice belonged to. The sound alone had sliced through me already.

Gambit identified the danger in Logan’s tone immediately, not letting go of my hand as he knew it would be a surrender. “Take it easy mon ami.” His genuine velvety calmness seemed to make his words all the more threatening. “We jus’ passin through.”

I took my time before letting myself turn to look at him. I didn’t let myself wince as my gaze danced frigidly up the floor to the boots that stood there, and up the jean covered muscular legs, to the plaid shirt I had worn the night of the fight. I refused to look into his eyes. And I wouldn’t slouch, so I held my chin high, with Gambit’s hand in mine.

“I just wanna talk to the girl, Cajun.” Logan muttered, he was leaning against the door frame, but his body was tense and ready to pounce. I vaguely recalled how Logan and Remy had never gotten along. It was when we had dated that Logan took a complete disliking to the him and the relationship itself. “So pass on through.”

Remy’s gaze travelled automatically to mine, searching for directions. I clenched my teeth and smiled, leaning into him to whisper something that I knew Logan would hear anyways. That’s what made it all the more fun and satisfying. “Meet me in my room.” It only became funnier when I realized that Remy knew my game, and leaned in to kiss me, hard, for the first time since we had dated. A giggle slipped out of me as he pulled back to look into my eyes. Dammit. I thought. I’m drunk.

Somehow, as Remy walked away leaving Logan and I alone, I was able to stay strong, and keep my expression calm. It looked like he was having as much trouble as I was with the same concept. So we remained silent a moment, keeping the facade of looking casual up.

Perhaps the reason I was able to keep control of myself, was because of the downright shock of him being here. In my mind, I hadn’t imagined it like this of course. I pictured it more like... I was in my bedroom when he stormed in and admitted his undying love for me and how he had dumped Jean because he realized she was a bitch.

But in reality. That certainly was not happening. I closed my eyes, still not allowing myself to look at him. “Why are you here Logan.” I was impressed with the amount of venom in my voice. It snapped like cracks of a whip.

He stood there, warring with himself. I knew, that to anyone else he looked dangerous. To me, he was nothing more than the asshole that had broken my heart. And now, he had come here to ‘talk’ when I was still picking up the pieces.

“You look tense.” He commented.
I ignored him. “Answer the question.”
I knew he was staring at me, but I just couldn’t meet his gaze. Everyone says I’m too forgiving. And one look in his smouldering eyes, I’d be a goner. He always had that control over me. A flash of that smile, and he could have taken whatever he wanted.

“I just want to talk.” He shoved his hands in his pockets, abruptly, an angry movement. “Come on Marie. We can always talk.”

I played dumb, unable to do anything else. “About what?” But the fury in me was building, like a flame into a bonfire. It was burning inside me, begging to flare, and lash out at him.

“Look at me.”

I clenched my teeth, and took a deep breath, folding my arms across my chest. My gaze, which has been on the floor, slowly traveled up his legs, his hard chest, and then to his eyes. “I’m looking at you.” I muttered darkly. His hair was messy and he had dark circles around his eyes. He looked... sullen. Empty I suppose is the word. But the thing that struck me the most, was the fact that his eyes, which were usually a gorgeous display of different browns and hazels, were nearly black as coal.

I saw the tendons in his jaw tense. “You with him now?” He gestured with his head to where Remy had disappeared down a hallway.

“Oh I’m sorry.” I let my voice drip with sarcasm. “Were we in an exclusive relationship?” I grit my teeth. “Not that you care.” I paused and smiled as I corrected myself. “Not that I care.”

His fists clenched. And I knew when he got that look on his face that he wanted to hit something. “I just want...”
“Want what?” I interrupted angrily. “What else could you possibly want from me?” I glared at him, and started to walk away before I could stop myself. “Leave me alone Logan.” I muttered angrily. “That’s what you’re best at."

I didn't look at him when I left. I could keep the tears in as I ran, but my chest felt heavy, flooded, with every emotion possible. As I opened the door, I closed my eyes, to keep from crying. It didn’t matter. Within that second, Remy had me in his arms. I felt him press his lips against the top of my head. “Sorry belle,” he murmured quietly. “Remy shouldn’t have left you alone.”

I wrapped my arms around his torso, before pulling back so that I could look at him. He gazed down at me with that look on his face, like he would do anything to be able to help. My hands wandered up to his neck, before I pulled him down gently, so I could kiss him again.

I knew he wouldn’t object, as I started to push off his jacket.
I sure am getting around.
Chapter End Notes:
A comment is much appreciated!