Author's Chapter Notes:
I have no words for how long this took me... I've had a hard couple weeks. But my apologies go out to anyone mad at me.
The limo pulled up in front of the mansion around three o’clock, but I stayed in my room as long as I could. My bags were completely packed, I had cleaned my bedroom out of boredom, and now I was sitting on my bed, with my jacket laid across my lap staring into space again. I sighed, glad I was wearing my most comfortable dark was jeans and a white blouse to make it a bit more classy. Hank had said we didn’t need to be formal till the ceremony, and we’d have time in our rooms before we went.

My small black bag sat on the ground next to me. Clenching my teeth, I grabbed it and headed out the door.

Jean would probably be wearing some long flowing beautiful red dress that accented her perfect curves in the limo. And then something even more extravagant for the dinner. I pushed the thought out of my mind as I walked out of the mansion and down the long driveway to where the limo was parked.

Leaning against it, shuffling a deck of cards was Remy, a smile curling his lips though he hadn’t glanced up to confirm it was me approaching him. Sliding his deck into his pocket he reached out and took my bag from me, setting it in the trunk before closing it.

When I climbed in I had no idea what I expected. I suppose, Jean and Logan macking wasn’t far from my mind. But instead when I slid into my seat trying to keep my gaze on the floor, only one pair of boots caught my eye.

No.

It doesn’t matter.

She’s probably too busy to come.

Yes. That’s it.

His brown eyes met mine in a flash before I could stop it, making me blink in surprise, clenching my fist as my heartbeat quickened and it was suddenly too warm in here. O. This is not happening. I’m not feeling this way because it’s impossible.

“Marie.” He murmured in acknowledgement, not breaking my gaze.
“Logan.”

Remy still hadn’t gotten into the car. I took a deep breath. “Look. We need to act civilized for the ceremony. So for the sake of Hank, we’re friends.”

***

I still hadn’t looked away from those piercing green eyes of hers. She was so calm. So collected. Truly determined to keep me from embarrassing myself by trying to bed for her forgiveness. Friends so she had said. Friends that had fucked.

No.
Fucked wasn’t a good term to use for describing Marie.
We had tried to do just that, just the common meaningless sex.
But we made love instead.

And now she looked at me with that expression on her face, waiting for a reply. Trying desperately to keep myself as calm as she was I shrugged. “Deal.” She nodded once, but still hadn’t looked away from me. I couldn’t help it.

“So how’s the Cajun in the sack?”
Impressive. Hadn’t even penetrated that wall of hers. She didn’t even flinch.

“Logan. I think it’s best we don’t talk.”
“And why is that?”
“I don’t want to fight with you.”

Just then gumbo himself got in the limo, closing the door behind him and sliding into the seat next to her, a little too close for my comfort. He glanced at her first, measuring her expression before looking over at him, his eyes flashed red. Disgusting prick.

Ignoring his presence entirely I continued, disregarding the anger that was building inside me and knowing damn well that I wasn’t going to hold back if I felt the need to teach the boy a lesson. “We can have a civilized conversation.” My voice felt thick.

Now she looked away. And I watched as gumbo set on hand on her thigh, a comforting gesture. All it did was make me want to cut off that hand. I considered doing it for a moment too, not bothering to think about the consequences until I happened to look at her again.

Her whole body was tense, not unlike her, she wasn’t feeling confident. Her shoulders somewhat shifted inward as she stared down at her hands rested in her lap. It surprised me, the jolt of pain I felt seeing her life this. And that was all it took. The anger was gone in a breath.

This was going to be a long trip.
Because even now, looking at her from across the limo, and knowing that I couldn’t touch her.
It was painful enough without thinking that she was banging gumbo.


***

The ride to the hotel was long, and quiet. I tried hard not to meet his gaze, but every time I glanced at him, he was staring. It would’ve been more uncomfortable if my agitation had faded by now. All I know is, the fact that everyone says I forgive too easily.

Even Logan says it.
And I know I’m not the best at holding grudges. But there are things that I think can never be fixed. True love prevailing is total bullshit. There has to be the right circumstances. All the right things. Timing, spark, passion, orientation and on and on.

The fact Logan stopped trying to talk to m bothered me more than him trying to. But under my own oath, as we were led to our hotel rooms, I said nothing to him. There was nothing to say. That is... so I thought. Storm told us the sleeping arrangements late.

I was sharing a hotel room with Storm, and Gambit was sharing a room with Logan.
I never should have agreed to come.
Chapter End Notes:
Comments are as always appreciated