These heels are way too hard to walk in.
I shifted nervously from foot to foot as Remy smiled while talking to some old man I didn’t know. There wasn’t much to listen in on. Something about how they both disagreed with the mutant registration act and were trying to come up with some sort of compromise proposal. I sighed, trying not to think about how badly I wanted to walk out to that porch and take off these stupid shoes.

Though sexy, the heel is too tall.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the waiter, walking around with trays of champagne. No, I should stay away from that. Remy says I’m too much of a light weight. Wouldn’t want to embarrass the boy. After so many years as a thief you’d think pride wasn’t that big a deal anymore.

But the waiter made eye contact with me, and there was something in his eyes that startled me. Perhaps it was the thought I couldn’t read, drifting across his gaze that had left me fearful. But one way or another, within his stare, I was petrified.

Is something going on?

He smiled, in a polite way before moving on into another direction. I pushed the thought away from my mind quickly. Nothing is going on. “Rogue?” Remy’s voice cut through my thoughts quickly and I realized I was gripping his arm rather tight. I let go immediately. “Are you alright?”

“Fine.” I answered quickly. “Just, need some air.”
He nodded “Be quick, the speeches will be starting soon.” I nodded, resisting the urge to curtsey for him and his new found high class status as I walked away.

Worry drifted through me, but it was quickly replaced by annoyance as I saw Logan leaning against the bar, taking a sip of his drink, and not bothering to look in my direction. I took a deep breath, suppressing my desire to mutter ‘fuck it’ as I walked up to get myself a drink.

“An apple martini please.” I said quickly, setting my black purse on the table. I felt Logan’s gaze on me within the second, but forced myself to keep staring forward. After a few second of silence I closed my eyes. “If you’re going to talk might as well hurry it up, I don’t have much time.”

I heard a light chuckle from him, and I knew immediately that was his third drink within a short time frame, he’ll sober up soon, but he’s a bit buzzed now. “And then you’ve got to get back to the Cajun.” He murmured. “I get it.”

I folded my arms across my chest. “Having a good time?”
“The time of my life.” He said sarcastically. I blinked, surprised to hear him so... real. His voice tainted with the reality of our situation. “And how about you?”

The sadness returned to me. “I’m fantastic.” My words were hollow.
He glanced over to me, and the corner of his lip lifted slightly. “He’s a nice guy kid.” The sincerity of his voice was getting too much for me to handle. “He’ll take good care of you.”

I took a deep breath, but it was shallow of me to think my voice wouldn’t be dripping with agony. “Logan,” I said slowly. “I’m sorry.”

That got to him, his head jerked up and he took a step closer to me with deliberate speed. “No.” He disagreed quickly, holding my gaze with fire in his eyes. He reached out and took my hand glancing to the floor. “This was my fault.” He grumbled. “I fucked up, and I’m sorry.” He exhaled loudly. “But I’d rather be your friend than nothing at all.”

The lump in my throat was growing, and I knew I was having trouble being so far away from him. But I wouldn’t let myself, I couldn’t let myself do this. But the words began climbing up my throat before I could stop them. “Logan... I.. I—”

“Rogue,” Remy’s voice cut through loudly, and I snatched my hand back from Logan’s like he had burned me. “Come on, they’re waiting for us.”
I walked briskly to his side with a nod, before glancing back to Logan who smiled a smile that didn’t touch his eyes and mouthed “Bye.”

***

“What an absolutely heartbreaking pair those two are.” I commented silkily, crossing my legs as I watched Rogue leave him standing there like a puppy.
“Stay out of it Emma.” Storm murmured.
“I have no idea what you mean.” I defended myself meekly. “I won’t interfere.”

Ororo’s eyes narrowed, with a slight amusement she rarely shows. “You already have haven’t you?”
I couldn’t help but smile. “Gambit won’t be able to hold her attention for long.”
“And why is that?”
I laughed. “Have you never heard of too perfect?” I shrugged. “It’s boring.”

Storm’s eyes narrowed before she glanced away. “Someone has been listening to Taylor Swift too much.”

***

When the speeches began I knew I wouldn’t last through them, I couldn’t take being in the same room as these drones let alone force myself to listen to what they had to say. I found myself staring into the distance faster than I could recognize. I could see her from where I was standing. So of course I couldn’t remain focused.
The fabric of her emerald green dress was slightly tighter around her hips, accenting the perfection below her lower back. As my eyes traced down her legs, I noticed the shoes. A long time ago she was preparing for a date with Remy. I flinched away from that thought annoyed.

Two years ago...

“What do you think Logan? The black shoes or the black boots?” She asked as she examined herself in the mirror, a different item on each foot.
“I don’t care.” I grumbled as I changed the channel on her TV. “If I were him I wouldn’t stare at your feet.” I saw a smile curl her lips before she spun away from me to hide it. I rolled my eyes to myself. “What’s the difference?”

“Well,” she said slowly, still not looking at me. “The boots are warmer,” she sighed “and the shoes are sexy but really hard to run in, so I hate them.”
My eyes narrowed. “Why would you need to run?”
She shrugged, with a smile. “Never know.”
I rolled onto my back with a grunt. “Then wear the boots.”

“But... the shoes are sexy...” She continued.
“Then wear the shoes.”
“But the boots...”
“Fuck Marie just decide!”

“Fine. The boots.”

Present time...

I made my way outside to light my cigar. Ignoring a waiter’s stare.
“Well,” I thought, “At least she won’t need to run tonight.”
Chapter End Notes:
Comment pretty please!