I took in a deep puff of my cigar, trying to savour it while it lasted. I was in some back hall propping the door open with my foot, attempting to drown out the speeches with the sound of the night. The door had said ‘alarm will sound’ but it didn’t. Must be my charm.

The hall was surprisingly empty, what with the florescent lighting I guessed it was only used by staff and not seen by most guests. Every small sound echoed eerily down the white walls, including the speeches. My phone started ringing without warning, scaring the living shit out of me.

Marie had put this ringtone on, I never figured out how to fix it.
Sexy Back keeps playing every time I get a call.

I answered immediately, hoping to avoid the humiliation of someone hearing the ridiculous song associated with me. Marie thought it was hilarious every time it rang and she was there. Maybe I left it because it never failed to make her laugh, and I loved her laugh.

“Hello?” I grunted quietly, annoyed.
“Logan,” Storms deep voice sounded through the speaker, too loud. “I’m on my way back to the mansion, there’s some trouble going on and I can’t get a hold of anyone.”
I put my cigar out immediately. “Do you need my help?”
“Stay with Hank.” She ordered sternly.
“Come on ‘Ro, this is a bore fest.”

“Just stay with Hank.” She muttered angrily, hanging up.
I sighed again. Boring.

But then I recognized the silence that now flooded my hall. And I waited before taking a step, before allowing myself to worry for a moment that anything might be going on. I focussed on my hearing and stayed perfectly still, listening to the sound of the water dripping in the next room, when I heard the screaming.

And then I ran.

***

It seemed so impossible. Impossible that it was happening. Impossible that it was really Magneto walking across the stage with that smile, that awful smile when he knows something is to be done. The way he walked was like a normal stroll, until he turned, made a gesture, and suddenly all the doors around us were locked by the surrounding waiters.

I glanced towards Remy almost immediately, but the only expression he cared to show was anger and it burned deep into his eyes as his fists clenched and he wound one protective arm around me. It seemed like the entire audience was waiting for something. Waiting for him to make the first move.

But someone else did.

I saw the gun fly to Magneto’s hand before it had fired. No. No. Impossible. He’s powerless. He took the cure. He’s like me. Weak and vulnerable. But instead as I tried to convince myself of what I knew to be false, I saw the gun fire, and the victim fell to the floor.

Screams erupted before I could comprehend what was happening. Everyone rushed towards the doors that were now locked and ready for him to start the massacre I knew was going to occur. I knew I was on his list, he had told me himself long ago. And he had called me a coward in getting the cure.

“Such a waste” he had said over and over again during his visits with Xavier. He had such sour grapes over losing his power... But... now he had it back. How was that possible? Hank had told me himself that it was a permanent cure, somehow managing to change your genetic structure forever.

Unless it faded.

I sucked in a ragged breath as I backed up away from Erik, as though the distance would make a difference. I was about to run, like I do, like I always do now when I backed into the chests of two tall men. Obviously mutants. The fear only took a moment to engulf me. And then I was alone with it, lost in that emotion and nothing else. And all I could possibly think was that this is how it would end. This is how I would die. At the hands of Magneto.

As they took me by the arms I struggled, unable to do any good under their firm grasp. I saw Remy take a step towards me only to be automatically stopped by more members of the brotherhood, those he had once stood beside and was now behind held against.

Erik had a sickening smile on his face as he watched me being pulled forward, I could hear people screaming but I couldn’t bring myself to look at them, I was only aware of the fact that every x-man had already been secured.

“So here we are,” He murmured only to me. “How funny it is that things work out. Last time I wanted you for your power. Now I want you because you no longer have it.” His words cut through my like a sharp blade. “Here!” He announced to the crowd of chaos into the microphone. “Just one of the thousands who cured themselves.” As he spoke, my hands were being tied behind my back. “Tell us, ‘Rogue.’ Was it worth it now?”

He removed one glove, and slid a bare finger down my cheek and under my chin before lifting my face to look at him. The brotherhood mutants cheered. I swelled with anger and frustration and I had begun an attempt to hit him before I could stop myself, but I was stopped by the steel grasp of others.

Magneto smiled at my outburst. “Feisty.”
“Fuck you.” I hissed.

He appeared as though he was about to laugh before he made a movement with one hand I saw the metal being moved into some shape. I didn’t allow myself to glare at anything but Erik’s face until I saw exactly what he was making.

A knife.

Now he did laugh. “This really is the cruellest form of irony.” He drawled as he took it in his hand and took another step towards me. “If you weren’t human, I wouldn’t kill you.” He pressed a hand to my face, and I closed my eyes to stop myself from crying. “But, it seems your powers are weaker than mine, and won’t be returning.” One tear slid down my face as the two mutants at my sides straightened me up to die. “You wanted to be a homosapien,” he whispered. “Now you’ll die as one.”

There was silence throughout the room, and I could hear Remy struggling unable to escape. Unable to do a thing to save me. And I waited. Like a doe waiting for the hunter to take his shot. Instead, a voice cut through the everlasting silence, one that somehow managed to make me feel safe again, even with a blade inches from my throat.

“Let the girl go.” Logan growled darkly.
Chapter End Notes:
Comment! Comment! Comment! PLEAAAASE!!!