The only sounds were peaceful. There was nothing but the crackling of the fire, and the occasional owl or wolf’s cry. I stared up at the sky, lying on my back gazing towards the darkness scattered with stars. Each twinkle seemed to mirror the only thing I’d describe as enchanting. I sighed happily, a beer in one hand, and Logan right next to me to make it all the better.
 
If I could describe a perfect moment, this would be it. Sitting in front of the fire with him; surrounded by nothing more than nature and necessities. “I have no idea how you ever left this place.” I hassled him calmly.
 
He glanced towards the sky where I was looking and then back to me. “I was distracted.”
I grinned up at him. “Sex every night can do that.” I felt myself desperately trying to bring up Jean in everyday conversation... as though he needed the reminder.
 
He rolled his eyes at me. “You really think I have a one track mind uh?”
I pressed my lips together, being overdramatic about the assumption. “Not at all Logan.” I denied sincerely before smiling again. “At least a two track mind.” He smacked me in the arm, not nearly hard enough to hut me. I giggled. “Cars and getting laid.”
 
“And where do you fit in?” He asked sarcastically.
I shrugged my shoulders softly, running a hand through my hair. I hadn’t thought about that. “I don’t.” I answered.
 
“Clearly.” He muttered. He paused glancing up at the sky. “Look,” He murmured suddenly. “There’s Orion’s belt.”
 
I glanced up, seeing nothing but stars scattered everywhere in no particular order. This guy has an obsession with astronomy I suppose. Perhaps it’s because after you live a while in your own world, you wonder what’s outside it. “Where?” I said confused.
 
He laid so he was upside down for me, his head right next to mine. He raised his hand and traced along three stars. “That’s Orion’s belt.” He then pointed to a few others. “And that’s Orion. The Hunter.”
 
“The hunter?” I repeated, interested.
“He’s more famous in Greek Mythology.” I could hear the smile in his voice. He rolled over onto his stomach and looked at me, and I saw the amusement in his eyes. Something similar to what I had seen at the bar. It was something I wasn’t used to. And I wasn’t sure what I thought about it.
 
He stared down at me, and I suppressed the urge to twin my fingers through his hair. It’s wrong. It’s inappropriate. But how exactly can something so wrong feel so right? He smiled, his face now unreasonably close to mine. I hadn’t realized before, that his eyes had two shades of brown with flecks of green in them. And only now did I see the way he was looking at me as a way I was foolishly mistaking for desire.
 
I ran my tongue over my lips, tasting the silence. But words echoed in my mind. ‘It’s the way you look at each other. The way you act and what you say.’ But he sat there, so close to me, staring into my eyes, searching for the same thing I was. Why was I feeling the unmistakable need to lean into him, feel his breath against my skin, and run my fingertips against his cheeks covered in stubble?
 
The only way I could possibly think to describe it was a movie moment. A brief instant when both characters look at each other, it’s time for that perfect kiss. The one makes time stop and the stars shatter. It’s the one that makes everyone believe in true love and soul mates.
 
And before I knew it, we were leaning into each other, our noses brushed against one another, his lips a split second away from mine when suddenly...
 
His phone rang.
 
My eyes snapped open, and I gazed into his before I was vaguely aware he was reaching for his phone in his pocket. “Hello?” He answered, his voice deep, obviously emotional, which surprised me. But I was completely emerged in the silence between his replies. I immediately sat up, pulling away from him I got to my feet.
 
“Hi Jean... Yeah we made it here without problems... I just forgot to call... We haven’t done much yet... We were both rather tired...Yeah... No I haven’t... okay... Yeah I love you too... bye.” He flipped the phone shut, his eyes stone cold focussed on the ground.
 
Realizing my white bangs were covering my face I swiped them behind my ears, standing now as he glanced at me. I took a deep breath of fresh air, trying to smother my emotions, drown them. “Jean?” I murmured even though I knew the answer. He nodded. “How is she?”
 
“She’s fine.” I nodded now, folding my arms across my chest. “Look I...”
“Don’t worry about it Logan. We’ll pretend it never happened.” I muttered, my voice almost an order.
“You mean just ignore it?” He demanded, his tone darkening. “Just ignore what we’re feeling?”
 
“I mean just that.” I agreed, not realizing my arms were winding their way around my waist, trying to keep me together as if I’d break apart from what I was saying. “Feelings fade. This’ll pass. I promise...”
 
***
 
“I don’t only think of cars and sex kid.” He insisted, throwing a piece of kindling into the fire.
I shrugged. “Fine then. Getting laid and having fun.” I murmured.
 
“Nothing serious huh?” He muttered.
I sigh glancing towards the fire. “Either way. I’ll be fun and your girlfriend can be under getting laid.” My gaze flickered to his, and I had a feeling I looked stern.
 
He stared at the fire, his expression shifting and I knew he was thinking about something. The problem was, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to know what it was. Finally, he spoke. “Fiancé.” He corrected me slowly.
 
My heart stopped and I was sure that he could hear it as it restarted an accelerated. “You’re getting... Married?” I said incredulously. My voice had jumped up an octave, I didn’t mean for it to happen, but it was uncontrollable.

He took a big swig of his beer and wiped his mouth. “December thirteenth.” He muttered. He glanced over at me and made a face. “Save the date.”
 
“I...” I stuttered. “I don’t know what to say.”
He was gazing into the fire again. “It’s the right thing to do. I love her, and I couldn’t live if she wasn’t a part of my life.” I had a feeling he was trying to convince himself more than he was me.
 
I nodded slowly. “Yeah... That’s... That’s great Logan. Really, really great. I’m happy for you.
 
“Yeah?” He said, his voice surprised but his eyes hopeful. “Thanks. Jean wanted me to tell you. But its under wraps. Keep it a secret would you?”
 
“Of course.” I said slowly, unsure if I was promising him secrecy or commenting on Jean’s insistence to tell me.
 
He grinned. “And you can come to the bachelor party.”
I couldn’t help but laugh at that, picturing the look on Jean’s face. It would be worse if I had to go to her bridal shower though. “Oh right.” I muttered sarcastically. “That’ll be the day.”
 
I was barely aware as he spoke, too busy trying to come up with any possible explanation for why this was bothering me so much. Why did it hurt to think that he would be hers? It never had before. Perhaps, it was your basic jealousy of friends worrying that they wouldn’t get as much time together if they were married. But I had to wonder if it was something more. Especially since I felt it. I felt the pain searing through my chest, making me feel hollow and absolutely rotten.
 
“C’mon Marie. You’ve gotta.”
“Of course I’ll come.”
Chapter End Notes:
I know. I'm a tease. Calm down and tell me what you thought. :)