Story Notes:
I have an idea where this is going, and it all started (although the story doesn't) with a dream that I had months ago. This dream actually got me back into W/R writing because Wolverine and Rogue were the only pair I could think of fitting the scenario of my dream, and I just HAD to write the dang thing down!

Disclaimer: They're not mine, but I'm sure after a few years of therapy I'll be able to cope.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I am a mean, horrible person because I am posting this a few days before I take a two week, no-laptop trip. I will do my best in my time between sewing binges this weekend to add to it.
It was going to be a dangerous mission, just the kind she liked. He could see the gleam in her eyes as Scott and Ororo went over the basic plan. She practically licked her lips in anticipation, and it took all of his self-control not to let out the growl building in his throat. The rest of the X-Team members in the room might be used to his temper, but there was no need to stir up speculation by doing anything more than glaring around the room, meeting each pair of eyes, including the chocolate brown ones widening with excitement far greater than anyone else’s.

Once Scott finished laying the groundwork for the mission, Logan allowed himself to speak up in his capacity as combat trainer. “Just because this is an extraction doesn’t mean we need any damn heroics. Getting yourselves injured or killed will not help the team, no matter what you think. Stick with the plan your lead gives you and keep your heads down. Remember that we’re dealing with fanatics who are more than willing to capture, torture, and kill any mutant they can get their hands on,” he told them grimly. Scott nodded, his lips tightening as if he was remembering other team-saving heroics that, while necessary, had cost him the woman he loved.

Little good Logan’s speech did with one particular listener, however. He could see his words slide off of her as Scott said, “All right. Rogue and Shadowcat, you two are with Storm. It will be your job to get this family to safety while the rest of us provide cover in and out of the facility. We have one hour before we leave.”

With that the group broke up, most heading to change into their uniforms. Logan waited by the door for his quarry and pulled her aside as all the others filed out.

“Rogue, I need a minute,” he allowed the growl to enter his voice even more. She frowned at him but stayed behind as her friends Kitty and Jubilee rolled their eyes and continued on without her.

“What’s wrong, Logan?” Rogue asked once they were alone.

“I’ve noticed what you’re doing, Marie. Always taking the worst risks, the most chances. I want you to cut it out,” Logan told her, glaring down into her eyes as they darkened with anger.

“You mean you want me to let down the team, Logan? You know as well as I that only Storm is capable of doing a lot of what can do! Do you want me to leave it all up to her and go hide in my room like a fucking coward?!” Rogue shouted the last as she stepped closer to him, matching him glare for glare.

“I don’t want you to be a coward, Marie, but dammit, you just don’t pay attention to what you’re doing half the time, the danger you’re putting yourself into! Do you think you’re fucking invincible?” Logan yelled back.
Rogue threw her hands up in the air. “Yes, Logan, I do! Wasn’t that why Carol had me drain her? She sure as hell didn’t do it so that I could waste her gift to me! I may not be totally invincible, but doesn’t invulnerable skin count for something these days?!”

“That’s beside the point. Don’t you remember how Carol died, Marie? Your internal organs can be crushed just as well as anyone else’s. So nothing can pierce your skin—you still bruise! I’ve seen it! Don’t you give a damn what you’re doing to your friends?” Logan asked her, grabbing her arm.

Rogue’s teeth ground together, the irritation and anger wafting off of her skin in waves that only his sensitive nose could detect. “Of course I remember what happened to Carol! I was there, wasn’t I? It didn’t occur to me that you would think I was doing more than I knew I could handle! I’m an adult now, Logan, not a child! You could try trusting me to know my limits, just like you know yours!” she shot back at him before yanking her arm out of his grasp, pushing past and stalking out the door. He knew that even at that moment she reflexively pulled most of her strength so that he wouldn’t go crashing through a wall or something.

Logan watched her leave, frustration almost radiating from him. She would have taken whatever he might have said after that the wrong way, he knew. He had promised years ago to protect her, dammit, and so far he’d made a pretty bad showing in that department. Letting her make her own mistakes was definitely not the way to keep her alive, not with her track record. Reluctantly he left the briefing room, slamming the door behind him. The other men in the locker room gave him a wide berth as he banged around, tossing his jeans, boots and shirts into a locker before pulling on the damn leather uniform and stomping back out again.
Chapter End Notes:
Luckily for you, this thing is almost half-written. I'll post a few more parts tonight.