Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, my original plan was for this part and the next to be one long chapter. But, this one was surprisingly hard to get started and I'm not sure if I'll have more time this weekend to finish the next part, so I figured people might rather have a shorter update now and another one later. :-) Hope you like it!

ETA: I don't know why sometimes it lets me add end notes and sometimes it doesn't. This is what I wanted to put at the end: I realize it's been one damn thing after another for poor Rogan, and I don't want it to get ludicrous. The next few chapters will be less action and more shipper/smut, for those of you who might be getting impatient. ;-)
Logan woke slowly, conscious first of the smell and weight of Marie against his body, her hair tickling his cheek and her warm breath puffing against his neck. He had expected to stay awake all night, especially racked by lust as he had been, but somehow Marie’s soft presence had lulled him into a deep and restful slumber.

They had apparently become completely entwined during the night -- her legs interlaced with his, her lithe thigh pressed firmly against a rapidly hardening part of his body. Her small warm hand had somehow burrowed under both his shirts during the night and now rested flat against his chest, as if even in sleep she reassured herself with his heartbeat.

He had lain awake for hours, both glorying in and tormented by the feel and scent of her, her total relaxation and trust in him both baffling and deeply affecting. Never in his memory had he shared sleep with a woman like this. Usually his women were quick fucks that he couldn’t wait to get out the door. He rarely took them to whatever hole he was staying in, let alone into his bed, and he was sure as hell not going to let any woman see him after one of his nightmares.

He couldn’t resist the urge to run a hand down Marie’s back, stifling a groan as it caused her to burrow even closer into the warmth of his body. She made a happy humming sound, and then opened her eyes, blinking at him a little dazedly. “Hey,” he said, remembering how she had greeted him the morning before. She smiled back.

“Hey yourself.” She seemed a bit surprised to find herself wrapped so completely around Logan, and started to pull back, but he tightened his arm around her back to arrest her movement. After a moment of hesitation she settled back into him, inadvertently grazing her thigh across the growing pressure in his jeans, and he couldn’t help the rumble that escaped him, giving in to the urge to press up into her warmth and softness.

She drew in her breath in surprise, and he smelled the sudden spike in arousal adding to all the other scents that were her, earthraincomfortMarie. She moved against him again experimentally, and Logan quaked with the strength of his reaction to her tentative movements. He burrowed his head into the curve of her neck, inhaling her scent as his hands came to her hips, pressing her harder against him. She made a soft noise of excitement and he smiled against her skin. “Marie...” he said.

Suddenly, he caught a scent that was completely different. This smell was threatening -- fetid and feral. In a flash he turned Marie under him, protecting her with his body. “Stay here,” he whispered in her ear, and he was on his feet and out of the tent in moments.

The morning outside was clear and bright, and Logan narrowed his eyes against the glare, turning his head and sniffing to try to identify the source of the threat. He turned around just in time to see the tree swinging toward him, wielded by a giant man, the source of the noxious smell.

Logan ducked away but the tree still caught him across the shoulder, tumbling him backwards. He rolled and sprang back up to the balls of his feet, popping the claws and attacking with a roar. He managed to get in under the man’s guard, sinking his claws deep into his belly and twisting, but instead of dropping the man just grunted and shoved, pushing Logan off him and halfway across the clearing. Logan circled around, assessing.

The man turned his head a bit, his lanky, greasy hair swinging to the side. “I smell a girl on you,” he said. An evil smile spread across his face as he glanced towards the tent. “Maybe I’ll let you watch.”

Logan roared with rage, circling around behind the man and coming in low again, swiping his tendons at the back of his knee and ankle. The man fell to his knees, bringing Logan with him, slamming Logan’s head to the ground repeatedly. Logan felt his skull crack, gritting his teeth against the blinding pain. He managed to free himself, scrambling around to the man’s back to dig his claws in, not entirely surprised now to see the man’s tendons healing as Logan felt his own skull knit back together. Sonuvabitch.

“Marie -- run!” he yelled, twisting his claws in the man’s kidneys. He felt her scrambling out of the tent, heard the muffled jingle of the car keys in her hand. The man reached over his head, grabbing Logan by the shoulders and pulling him to the ground again, his yellow clawlike nails piercing Logan’s throat as he squeezed.

They both heard the car start up and the big man turned his head, Logan using the momentary distraction to break the choke hold. The man focused his attention back, picking Logan up by his shirt and pants and throwing him forcibly into a tree. Logan struggled to his feet, still trying to suck breath into his lungs, hearing the car rev and looking up just in time to see Marie drive full-tilt into the big man, knocking him over with the fender before the wheels crunched over his body. Marie threw the car into reverse, wheels spinning, humping it back over the man before stopping by Logan.

She jumped out and ran over to Logan, pushing her shoulder under his, trying to help bear his unsteady weight. “Marie -- just go!” Logan squeezed out, but she ignored him, doggedly pulling him towards the car.

With a roar, the large man was up again, plucking Logan away from Marie as if he were a doll. He lifted Logan and brought him down hard on his knee, snapping his spinal column and throwing him aside to rest against a tree. Logan felt panic pressing hard against his throat, his heart triphammering as he scrabbled ineffectively with his arms, unable to move his lower body until his spinal cord repaired. He could only watch helplessly as the large man stalked towards Marie now.

“Sabretooth,” Marie said, and the man narrowed his eyes in suspicion. “Yes, I know who you are,” she hissed. “You’re with Magneto...since when are you on the military’s side?” Sabretooth growled, still moving towards Marie as she circled aside.

“Maybe more than one person wants that little runt of yours,” he sneered. Marie made a move to pull the lighter from her pocket, but in a bound Sabretooth was on her, hand wrapped around her throat. “I want to hear you scream,” he whispered, his sour breath dank against her cheek.

Marie closed her eyes as Sabretooth ran a hand up her side to squeeze painfully on her breast, both of them ignoring Logan’s angry howl as he once again tried ineffectually to move towards them. She opened her eyes again, both despair and resolve in her clear gaze. “You first,” she squeezed out, slamming her mutation into full gear.

Sabretooth’s hand tightened uselessly on Marie’s throat as his power and life flooded into her. Dimly she could feel the slackening of his grip and the choking sounds he was making, and she gripped his wrist tightly in her hand to maintain the connection. Then she was lost, a flood of twisted emotion and sick memories sweeping through her mind, burning through any barriers she futilely tried to erect like they were nothing.

She felt the snarl rising in her throat as the blood lust gripped her. She felt the connection break, and lashed out blindly. “Marie!” Logan said, pinning her to the ground, shaking her a little. He hissed in his breath with shock as she looked up with him with malevolent golden eyes. She snarled, and tried to bite the hand that pinned her wrists, pulling against his grip with surprising strength. “Marie!” Logan said again urgently, and he saw the hesitation and confusion as her golden gaze dimmed.

Her eyelids fluttered closed, and when she opened them again her own deep chocolate eyes looked back at him, dazed. “Logan?” she said, and he squeezed her tight against him in relief. She struggled away from him, looking back at the slumped body of Sabretooth. “I have to finish it,” she said, her voice breaking.

“No way, Marie, you can’t!” Logan growled.

“He tracked us through New York City. He heals. We’ll never get away,” she sobbed. “I have to take it all.” She reached out an unsteady hand towards the hulking unconscious form.

“No!” Logan said, snatching her arm away. “You can't take any more.” He lifted her in his arms, placing her gently in the passenger seat of the car. She couldn’t help but give in to the relief of not having to take more of Sabretooth into her mind, the nightmarish images and feelings she had pulled in already still rushing over her in waves, threatening to overwhelm her. She finally gave in to the struggle, closing her eyes, shutting the world out while the battle raged inside her head.

Logan checked Sabretooth’s body. He was pale and still convulsing, breath shallow and uneven and heartbeat thready. Logan reached out and sliced his throat, then clawed him in the belly and twisted for good measure. He watched him for a moment. If he was healing at all, it was slow.

Logan returned to the SUV, clasping Marie against him. As safe as it probably would be to leave her behind briefly, Logan couldn’t stand the idea of being out of sight of her for even a moment, especially with that bastard still around. Holding Marie’s trembling body cradled in his arms, he followed Sabretooth’s fetid trail backwards, finding his truck parked less than a mile away, the keys still in the ignition. He settled Marie in the passenger seat and drove it to the clearing, noting the clanking coming from the covered bed of the truck.

Sabretooth was still where he had left him, his head lolling and guts still open. Logan opened the truck bed and looked in, taking in the shackles. So this is how Sabretooth planned to transport him. He popped a claw and scratched at the metal, but was unable to cut it. He looked through the truck, but there were no papers or clues as to where Sabretooth planned to take him. There was, however, a convenient extra container of gasoline behind the front bench seat.

He pulled the shackles from the truck bed, fastening them around Sabretooth’s wrists and ankles. He then firmly anchored Sabretooth to a large tree, grunting as he hauled the deadweight of him into position. Finally, he put Marie’s shuddering form back in their SUV, belting her into the passenger seat. He took a moment to smooth a hand over her hair, nuzzling his head into her neck to inhale her scent and press a soft kiss there. “Stay with me, baby,” he murmured. “I’ll take care of you.”

He collapsed their tent in moments, stowing it and the sleeping bag in the back of the SUV and driving the car a short distance away, leaving no trace of themselves in the clearing. Then, he drove Sabretooth’s truck at full speed into his body, smashing him between the front grill and the tree trunk. He came around to inspect his work, popping the claws again and fully severing Sabretooth’s head for good measure.

Finally he doused the truck and body with gasoline, finding Marie’s lighter where she had dropped it and setting the whole thing ablaze, tossing the empty gas can into the inferno. He heard the gas tank of the truck blow as they drove away, leaving a tower of smoke and flame behind them. If you can heal from that, you bastard, it won’t be soon, he thought grimly.

Logan drove doggedly for hours, stopping only to fill gas. He tried to get Marie to eat or drink, but she simply shook her head, eyes pressed tightly closed, shuddering from time to time and making distressed noises. Logan was sick with worry. Finally, as it grew dark, he pulled off into a motel parking lot, quickly securing them a room and carrying Marie inside.

He laid her on the bed and stretched out beside her, clasping her tightly to him. “Please, baby,” he said helplessly. ”Please.” All of a sudden she rolled them over, pinning him to the bed and straddling his hips. She looked down at him with golden eyes.

“Please what, sugar?” she purred.