Author's Chapter Notes:
Just a short transition piece...
Marie stretched as she came awake feeling cat-like as she slowly relaxed back into the pillows. She was alone, the frown on her pretty features evidenced her distaste for waking without her Wolverine pillow, and the other side of the bed was still warm when she let her fingers trail over the spot. Opening her eyes she smiled when she heard the shower running in the bathroom.

Sliding from the bed Marie let the sheets tangled about her legs fall to the floor as she made her way to the bathroom door. Her fingers itched to reach out and turn the knob; would Logan welcome her into his shower and if he did would he treat her to another heaping serving of sexual bliss?

Without having made the decision consciously she found her hand lifting and the cool metal of the knob pressing into her palm, but she didn’t open it; it was ripped from her grasp and she found herself staring at a wall of Wolverine flesh.

“Hey, baby,” Logan smiled, “You sleep good?”

Marie heard him, of course she heard him, but her brain was busy cataloging the shear multitude of bare skin only covered in tiny droplets of water. Marie was suddenly thirsty she thought she would hyperventilate at the sight of the tanned muscled chest. And when her eyes slid down his belly a particularly interesting vein snaked its way over his abdominal muscles into the towel that was slung low, really low on his hips. Marie licked her lips suddenly hungry for a taste of the wickedly sexy vein.

“Enjoyin’ the view, Darlin’?” With effort Marie pulled her eyes from that spot and met Logan’s smug gaze; the look in her eyes made him laugh out right and Marie froze she’d never seen Logan so happy, so free. Stunned she didn’t move when he stepped forward reaching for her; his fingers in her hair, firm against the nape of her neck pulling her toward him.

“uh,” Marie swallowed, how the hell did he expect her to use her higher brain function to communicate when he was not only mostly naked, but touching her?

Obviously he didn’t because his voice was low, intimate and amused when he murmured, “I left the water runnin’ for you; we have to be in Mississippi by this evening and New Orleans the day after next. I talked to Hank and things are heating up, that means we won’t get to spend as much time at your folks as I would have given you.”

Logan’s parting kiss was decadent, like sweet milk chocolate mousse with dark chocolate drizzle, and Marie thought it was a hell of a fine breakfast. A girl could get used to a diet of pure Logan kisses. With a rumbling growl he ended the kiss, nipped her throat and gently deposited her into the bathroom with a swat on her ass and an admonishment to, “Shake a leg we don’t have all day.”

Once she’d pulled her brain out of the giant bucket o’lust it had fallen into Marie showered and got dressed for the trip to her parent’s house. She chose her clothes carefully it had been three years since she’d seen her parents but she figured they couldn’t have changed too much in the way of their religious convictions.

So, like a good little girl she dressed in the skirt she’d worn to Xavier’s funeral; it wasn’t practical travel attire, but her momma would be proud none the less.

Logan had packed their gear while she showered and changed so they were ready to leave before the sun had even fully risen. Now, Marie sat staring at the cell phone in her hand as Logan sped down the interstate. She was supposed to be calling her parents, but she hadn’t worked up the nerve.

“You want to leave it as a surprise,” Logan asked. The mere thought of surprising her parents was ludicrous. Her daddy would have a coronary at the sight of Logan and her momma would be all flustered because she hadn’t had the chance to dust before they arrived. No, surprises were out of the question.

“Nah, I’ll call.” Her words sounded more confident than she felt but she flipped the phone open and with trembling fingers dialed the familiar number. Marie had dialed it a thousand times just to hear her momma’s voice when she’d first left home and it had been both a comfort and sadness to her.

Putting the phone to her ear she listened to the ringing until the familiar accented tones of her mother’s voice interrupted the monotony of it, “Hello?”

Marie’s heart stopped and tears gathered in her eyes, it had been two years since she’d heard her momma’s voice, “Hello, Momma?”

“M-Marie,” her mother’s voice sounded at once happy and tearful, “Is that you baby girl?”

“It’s me, Momma.” Marie assured her as she asked, “Is it alright that Ah called?”

“Oh, baby, of course it is,” she was crying, Marie could tell. “Are you alright? Where are ya?”

“Ah’m fine,” Marie laughed. “Ah’m actually travelin’ out y’all’s way with mah friend and we was thinkin’ if’n it weren’t inconvenient-“

“Come,” her mother’s plea was firm as she laughed, too. “Please, come on by, you an’ yer friend. Yer daddy and I have missed ya. When do ya think y’all will be arrivin’?”

“Logan,” Marie murmured. “Momma says we can come and she wants to know about what time.”

When Logan glanced at her she saw the nervousness in his eyes as he spoke, “about an hour and a half at most, Darlin’.”

“Momma, Logan says we’ll be there in a little ova’ an hour.”

“Is Logan yer friend,” her momma asked and she could hear the underlying question neatly folded in the simple wording.

So, Marie answered both questions with pride and warning in her reply, “Yeah, momma, Logan’s mah friend. We’ll be stayin’ in Mississippi over night should we get a hotel room?” The use of the singular in regard to the room was deliberate and Marie knew her momma would pick up on it and make the leap to the idea of her daughter and the unseen Logan sharing a bed.

“Nah, Sugah. Y’all can stay in yer old room,” her mother’s voice sounded strained, but the words rang true. Marie could almost hear her mother trying to figure out how to ask the all consuming ‘skin’ question. “Only thing is the bed is still on the smallish side; is that okay what with your uh-gift?”

“It’s alright Logan and I don’t need that much space,” Marie had to smile at the genteel way her mother found to inquire about the thing that had driven them apart three years ago. “Mah skin ain’t a problem anymore, Momma.”

“You got that cure,” the hopeful sound in her mother’s voice hurt just a little bit.

“No, Momma, ya can’t cure something like this it’s genetic. Ah can control it is all.”

“Well, then we’ll see ya in an hour.” Her mother’s voice echoed with anticipation and she laughed as she murmured, “Ah’ll call ova’ to the church and have yer daddy come on home.”

“Alright,” Marie acknowledged and then she added, “Momma?”

“Yeah, Sugah?”

“Ah can’t wait to see y’all,” she murmured, “Bye.”

“Ah love ya, Marie, Ah missed ya.”

“Ah love you, too.”

“Bye…”

“See ya soon.”