Author's Chapter Notes:
Bobby has expectations and Marie has a little fun.
It hadn’t taken long after they left the lower levels for them to figure out that something big was fixing to happen.

Maybe it was the urgent call from the President of the United States asking Dr. McCoy to join him for a specially convened counsel to discuss the tensions between Mutants and Non-Mutants or maybe it was the televised opening of the clinics offering to ‘Cure’ the afflicted.

Logan had been right when he said a war was coming, Magneto would have it no other way. Marie worried about Logan in the coming conflict; especially with the offensive being led by Magneto.

The absorption of the being, Rogue was sure was a girl, had been far more enlightening than even Hank or Cerebro anticipated. The improved cognition provided by the consciousness allowed her to sort the through the various personas residing within her mind and allocate portions of them into a general repository of useful learned behavior, information and ideology.

The rest, personal memories and emotion, was purged and for the first time since she was sixteen Marie felt as though her mind and body were truly her own.

The sorting process brought to light many disturbing things about Magneto and his past with the newly departed Professor Xavier. It was the disturbing information that Professor Xavier had at sometime in the past included Magneto in the compilation of protocols outlining how to destroy every mutant to ever step foot within Xavier’s school or as in the case of Logan and a few of the Brotherhood to have the misfortune of having been targeted by the government for experimentation.

It was horrifying that the Professor could hand over, to someone as bent on manipulating the world around them, human and mutant alike, into their version of utopia, the keys to twist, mold and destroy other mutants.

Rogue knew that had the Professor survived she would never have been allowed to utilize the power of the being; she would have gone to her grave untouched except by the pain and horror of life sucking flesh.

She could forgive the Professor that, Marie was almost sure, well after having inflicted a little pain, but she would not…Could not forgive the man for informing Magneto of Logan’s Metal enhanced skeletal system. Nor could she forgive the suggestion that should Logan ever need to be ‘put down’, Magneto should use his incredible power to rip the adamantium from Logan’s bones.

Standing outside the garage waiting for Logan to choose a vehicle, she found herself hating the fact that she had allowed the man behind the kindly eyes to mean so much to her. His machinations were egotistical in the extreme; who the hell did he think he was to undertake the systematic destruction of their kind? Obviously, he’d felt entitled.

A soft breeze swept her hair across her cheek and she reached up and brushed it aside; Marie froze when she felt her bare fingers on her own cheek, it had been nearly three years since she’d left her room with so little skin covered. Logan had methodically striped her cloak, scarf and gloves from her when they first began the ‘medical procedure’ and had refused to give them back when they left the lab.

Closing her eyes Marie let her fingers trail over her cheek and along her throat. Smiling almost goofily she took a deep breath, enjoying the new found freedom, and the wind shifted again bringing with it the scent of a male with icy undertones, ‘Bobby’ her mind supplied.

“Rogue,” he called and she could hear him, his breathing was faster than usual; it was excitement that coated his voice, he must have heard the good news. Sighing, Marie turned to watch him jog the last seventy-five feet to her side. When he reached her he put out a hand to catch hers and she agilely stepped out of reach; she might be able to touch, but it didn’t mean she wanted just anyone to get all touchy-feely.

“Hello, Bobby,” she acknowledged him with a sort of bored detachment and that coupled with the swift move away from his seeking hand made him frown.

“Rogue,” he smiled a perplexed look on his face. “Hank just told us the news.”

“Yeah, Ah figured.”

“Then come here,” he laughed and moved to wrap his arms around her, but she side-stepped him again, “Rogue?” His voice was starting to sound aggravated, but he tried to sound understanding when he asked, “Why won’t you let me touch you; is it your control?”

“No,” she shook her head. “Ah just ain’t as desperate as ya think Ah am.”

“Desperate,” he scowled.

“Yeah,” she narrowed her eyes on the boy in front of her, “Desperate as in taking another girl’s leavings.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Sniffing the air around him, she smirked, “Ya smell that Logan?”

The wind carried the unmistakable scent of their audience and Rogue was ready to mete out a little retribution, nothing bloody, just embarrassing.

Logan stepped up behind her, she’d known the minute he left the garage and made it to her side, and let a hand come to rest at the base of her throat. “What, Darlin’,” he made a show of sniffing the air. “Smells like cat piss to me.”

“Yeap,” Marie nodded. “I’m sure that’s what I smelled, too, kind o’ like somethin’ in heat.”

“The Kitty marks her territory,” Logan growled, letting his fingers trail along the column of Marie’s neck. “Did you use the, ‘My girlfriend just can’t give me what I need’ line or was she just flicking her tail at you and you decided better an easy lay than a good woman?”

“Now, Sugah,” Marie chided with a light laugh, turning slightly under Logan’s arm she patted his belly with one ungloved hand. By this time nearly half the school was gathered behind Bobby. Obviously, good news does travel fast.

Seeing Kitty in the midst of the throng Marie met the girl’s eyes as she spoke, “There ain’t any need to go gettin’ riled up; Ah told ya Kitty can have ‘im. She’ll have to keep an eye on ‘im, though, Ah saw the way he watches Jubilee when she’s in uniform. ‘Course Jubes’ is a little more couth; she would never go rubbin’ herself all over her friend’s guy, caterwaulin’ and such. Why, that’s just trashy.”

There was an indignant gasp from Kitty’s direction and Marie thought she heard Jubilee mutter to Kitty, ‘Told you not to go pouching.’

“I’m glad you have your head on straight, baby.”

“Me, too, Sugah,” she shifted her gaze to his and her voice took on a confidential air, “Between his memories and St. John’s,” she lifted herself onto tip-toes and whispered loud enough for all to hear. “Ah really don’t think she’s got what he needs; if ya know what Ah mean.”

“It’s like that is it,” Logan inquired with a smirk.
It wasn’t hard to see she’d called it right; Bobby had turned seventeen shades of embarrassed and he was now looking in horror at the congregants of the mansion.

“Let’s just say Johnny-Boy knew how to melt ice.” Marie winked, up at Logan and her playful gesture made him laugh.

“Well,” Logan shook his head and brushed a kiss over her temple. “You ready to head out or do you want to play some more?”

“Ah’m finished,” she smiled happily as she picked up one of her bags and Logan shouldered the rest, “Bye y’all!” She waved at the rest of the people gathered around.

“Remember you said you would write, Chica.” Jubilee bounced up to her side and gave her an impromptu hug.

“We ain’t gonna be gone long,” Marie chided. “Logan and Ah are just gonna reconnoiter and then report back with what’s happenin’ out there without the human media spin.”

“Sounds like more than a three hour tour,” the Asian girl winked. “Take care and don’t forget to bring me presents.”

“You got it,” Marie hugged her again and then followed Logan to the SUV he’d packed with supplies. Tossing the rest of her things in the back she climbed into the passenger seat and waited for Logan to start the engine before asking, “Where to, Sugah?”

“New Orleans,” Logan smiled as he put the vehicle in gear and pressed put his foot heavy on the gas. “There’s a guy there that I used to know.”