Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the first Rogan story I wrote after being incredibly inspired by the fantastic authors I found here. X3 never happened and I think my Rogue is probably more inspired by the comicverse than the movie, but there's a little of both there. I hope you enjoy where I'm taking these two.

Standard disclaimer: I don't own 'em.
~oOo~

Five years was a long time to most people. Time enough to grow up and buy that first legal drink. Maybe to find that special someone and get married. For others five years meant the culmination of a long life or a chance to survive a serious illness. But for Logan, five years were simply a moment in an excruciatingly unnatural existence. He experienced milestones too; watching friends getting older and older, seeing ones he loved suffer and die as he should have done decades ago.

There were, of course, pleasant milestones. Ones that still made him smile when he took the time to remember. But those recollections seemed overshadowed by the darker memories of his past. A past littered with the bodies of those he'd murdered or watched die at the hands of his partners and so-called friends. He sometimes wished he'd never allowed the Professor to unlock his memory. The confrontation with Stryker at Alkali Lake prompted Logan to enlist Professor Xavier's help in recovering what the General had stolen from him nearly fifteen years prior. It took months but in one moment on a fall afternoon, the breakthrough happened. It was as if Logan's mind had finally surrendered itself to the invasion. He'd been overwhelmed with the torrent of information bombarding his mind and within a day, Logan left the mansion.

He'd spent the last five years traveling the world; atoning for past sins. Sometimes it took him to the people he'd known and places he'd lived before and other times he simply helped out where he was needed. Each time he received a 'thank you' or an appreciative nod; it felt like some piece of his humanity was being restored. The wolverine was still part of him but it no longer controlled him as much as Logan had allowed it to in the past.

Through the years he'd contacted the Professor, asking about how things were at the mansion, tentatively making sure that the telepath held no lingering hatred towards him for the things he'd seen in Logan's mind. Not once did Logan ask to speak with anyone there. Not Jean. Not Storm. Not even Marie. The poor kid had received nothing but trouble from him despite Logan's promise of protection. He just knew that without him to screw up her life, she must have been able to have some semblance of normality.

As his motorcycle roared down the tree lined highway, Logan thought about the peace offerings he had in his bags; perfume for Jean, exotic seeds for Storm's garden, a special edition Tennyson for the Professor and new gloves for Marie. Scott's present would be the return of the bike on which Logan was currently sitting. He was sure Scooter would try to kick his ass for taking it. Maybe he'd let one-eye get in a few good shots at him for good measure. Then again, maybe not.

Turning up the lane to the huge mansion, Logan saw a lone figure in the sky. He stopped the bike at the entry gate and looked up, watching the person…a woman…streak upwards and then gracefully wind her way down toward the ground. Just as he caught sight of her long hair, she disappeared behind the building. Realization dawned on him and his breath caught in his throat.

"Holy fuck. Marie?"

~oOo~

As she whipped through the air, Rogue laughed as the students scattered and screamed.

"No fair!"

"Miss Rogue, you're cheating!"

Rogue let go of a water balloon and it landed squarely on the back of a young man named Stretch. He yelped as the cold water snaked its way down his back. The lanky boy turned and tried to throw his water balloon at his instructor. She effortlessly dodged his incoming assault, but failed to notice another projectile hurtling its way toward her. As Rogue moved to the left, she felt the water explode over her shirt and she cried out in mock annoyance.

"Now, who thought it was a good idea to get my favorite shirt soakin' wet?"

"That'll teach you to wear your favorite shirt to a water balloon fight, Rogue."

Scott smirked and crossed his arms over his chest. Rogue hovered in the air and held his gaze as she carefully scratched the side of her nose with her middle finger.

"Payback's a bitch, one-eye." She grinned.

Scott watched as Rogue descended to the ground, grabbed another two water balloons and chased some more students down the grass. He heard Storm's laugh as she walked up and stood next to him.

"They do love a good water fight." She smiled.

"It's good for them. They need to blow off steam like normal kids."

"Yes. They deserve some fun after this last year." The white haired woman observed Rogue laughing among the students.

"Rogue seems to have come to terms with everything as well. She has turned in to a good teacher."

The smile on Scott's face faded as he contemplated Storm's words. "I'm not sure how well she's dealing with it all, Storm. Even though she's come so far, I can see the sessions with the Professor exhaust her. She puts on a brave face for everyone else, but she's still fragile."

Storm let the silence linger for a moment and then turned to her friend. Her voice was a near whisper.

"Be careful, Scott."

His head snapped to the side and she could see his eyebrows rise questioningly over the top of his red glasses. "What?"

"I said, be careful."

~oOo~

Rogue was attempting another attack on a student when she became aware of being watched. She stopped in her tracks and looked around, scanning the treeline first, then turning toward the mansion. There, standing in the corner of the Professor's office window was the man she hadn't seen in five years.

"Logan."

~oOo~