~oOo~

Logan watched as Marie slept, looking so peaceful and beautiful with the sun streaming through the window blinds. He stroked her hair, inhaling the aroma of her flowery shampoo. She was even more incredible than he'd remembered her to be. The guilt of leaving her for five years began to creep into his chest and he pushed it back down, knowing that he couldn't dwell on the shit he'd done wrong. He was simply going to do whatever it took to keep Marie safe and love her as completely as he did now.

She stirred and turned on her side, nestling her naked form into his chest, her arm wrapping around his side and her knee pushing in between his legs. Good God, just her body next to his made his brain pack its bags and move out. He ran his hand over her shoulder and felt her shiver against his touch. He didn't intend to wake her up but he wasn't going to complain if she did.

Watching the rise and fall of her steady breathing, he felt the familiar constriction in his chest. The sensation of love and contentment wasn't alien to him. But, with Marie, it wasn't just love. It wasn't simply feeling an attraction or connection with another person. Being with her was like finding another part of him. When he was away for those years, he'd thought about her. Wanted to call her, hear her voice. In the last twelve months, there'd been an almost physical pull to come back to her. He'd always felt she was special, even at her young age. There was something about Marie, an innate strength that called to him. But it wasn't until he'd stood in the window of Xavier's office and looked down on her face that he'd understood why. Marie wasn't just a woman, she was a strong, feral woman. His equal. She possessed his physical powers and, most importantly, the wolverine was a part of her. They had a connection that could not be broken by anything other than death.

"And even then, I don't think I could let you go."

The whispered words drifted out and mingled with the flecks of dust lazily floating in the room's afternoon light. Logan put his head down, tucking her forehead under his chin and closed his eyes, succumbing to the first dreamless sleep he'd had in five years.

~oOo~

Rogue rolled onto her right side and pulled the blanket up under her chin. It took her a brief moment of disorientation before she realized where she was. She smiled. Her eyes opened and looked around Logan's room, the fading sunlight casting a warm orange glow in the space. Their clothes were littered around the room and she laughed when she saw her shredded pants thrown over the corner chair.

Turning on her back, she discovered that she was alone in the bed. Listening for a brief few seconds, Marie knew Logan wasn't in his bathroom either. She stretched her arms and legs like a cat waking from a long nap. Hell, that's pretty much how she felt. Rested, sated and…pretty freaking hungry. But she wasn't ready to hop out of bed just yet – even if she did have pants, the feeling of being naked and entwined in Logan's sheets made her hot all over again.

The memory of Logan's touch was seared into her mind. The way his hands were everywhere at once, his tongue tasting her, taunting her and, ultimately, pushing her over the edge. It was the most amazing lovemaking she'd ever experienced. Not that she was very proficient in that area. She'd been slightly intimidated that she wouldn't be what Logan wanted but he didn't seem to have any problems with what she did to him earlier in the day.

The side of her mouth rose as she recalled seeing him without his clothes for the first time. She'd imagined him naked before. Hell, most of the women in the mansion had imagined him naked at some point. Marie had seen his bare chest enough times to know he was amazingly built but seeing him stripped bare, engorged and ready for her had rendered her speechless. Her reaction to seeing him standing before her had only enflamed him more. The stars she'd seen when he drove her to climax over and over were much, much better than the ones she'd seen after taking a hit in the danger room. She wondered how they were ever going to get out of bed again.

Sitting up, Marie was in the process of strategizing how to get through the hallways to her room without her pants when the door handle turned. Logan quietly opened the door and stepped into the room fully expecting to see Marie still asleep. He was greeted with the sight of her half lidded eyes and her full, naked breasts.

"Fuckin' hell, woman. It should be against the law for you to put on clothes."

"I could say the same about you."

She spotted the tray of food Logan was carrying and her stomach audibly growled.

"Now get over here with my dinner. Then take off those pants."

Logan grinned. "I like the way you think, darlin'."

~oOo~

"You're gonna be the death of me, Marie."

"Me? What about you? I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to walk straight for a week."

"Didn't hear you complainin'."

"Well, a woman can't exactly protest when you make her feel like that, sugar."

He chuckled lightly and pulled her to his chest. Her leg draped across his center and she felt him twitch in response to her touch.

"You know, with everything that's happened since you came back, the one thing we haven't done is talk about why you left."

"Jesus, get right to the point, don't you, gal?"

Rogue rose up on her elbow, her face close enough to feel the heat radiating from his skin.

"We said that we would put all our cards on the table. You know my shit. The only real things I know about your past are from when I touched you all those years ago. And those are just nightmare images."

"Sorry you had to be saddled with that, Marie."

"Eh, don't sweat it. I've got it all under control now, remember?" She kissed him lightly on the cheek. "Don't try and dodge the question, Logan. What did the Professor uncover that made you bolt for five years?"

He let out a deep sigh and closed his eyes. Flashes of the long sought after memories streamed through his head.

"Everythin'. He unlocked everythin' I'd ever done. Everyone I'd ever been. There were times in my life I did good things. Made noble choices…." He took a moment and slowly sat up, draping his arms over his bent knees. "But there were more times than I want to remember that I was a murderin' bastard. I killed people, Marie. A lot of people. And rememberin' all that just pushed me too far. I couldn't be here…around a group that wanted to help others…around you…when I'd been such a rotten son of a bitch."

"Logan, you're not. That's not the man you are."

"Maybe not anymore…but it was. And that's what I had to deal with. I spent those five years going around to the places I could remember, tryin' to make things right. Even if it was helpin' someone for a while on their farm or doin' some other odd job. I just needed to clear my head and make it right as much as I could."

He turned and looked Rogue in the eyes. "I couldn't come back to you without tryin' to do the right thing. You deserve better."

She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and buried her face in his neck.

"You never have to prove yourself to me, Logan. I love you just the way you are."

"Thanks, Marie."

They sat for a moment and then Logan leaned back so they could lie on the bed, their naked bodies entwined, both of them finally at peace.

"I never thought it could be this way, Logan."

"What way?"

"It's just…this feeling. Like I'm complete and I never realized until today I wasn't a whole person. I have this stirring feeling in my chest. Like I'm nervous and excited and completely terrified all at the same time."

"You scared, baby?"

"Scared isn't the right word. It's like I love you so much I don't want to imagine you not with me anymore."

"I told you, I ain't gonna leave…"

"No, no, it's not that." Marie paused and took a moment to run her fingers through the soft hairs on his chest. His eyes were dark as they searched hers. "I want to crawl inside of you and never come out. You said this morning that if we crossed that threshold that I'd be yours. Well, you belong to me as much as I belong to you and I'm never going to give that up without a fight."

He stroked her cheek and then leaned forward and rolled her onto her back. Logan brought his mouth to hers and where there was fire and passion earlier, now their embrace was slow and tender.

"I never wanted to rush you, Marie. But I've felt that for you since I came back here. You are fuckin' everythin' to me. I ain't a slick talker like Scott and I sure as hell ain't a brain like Hank. This…you and me right now…that's how I can show you how much I love you. There will never be anythin' to fight because you won't ever have to give me up. You got that?"

Logan took his finger and wiped away the tears falling down the sides of her face.

"I love you, Logan."

"I love you too, Marie."

~oOo~

The night had been full of talking, sleep and a lot of sex. They'd woken up the next day with renewed energy. Marie had managed to make Logan go to her room and get her a new pair of pants so she wouldn't shock the kids. They sat for a few moments before venturing outside of Logan's room for the first time in twenty four hours.

Logan stood at the door but before his hand grabbed the handle, he turned to Marie.

"Move in here."

She looked into his eyes, the seriousness quite evident in his face.

"You sure, Logan?"

He stepped in front of her and his hands rose up and touched the sides of her cheeks.

"You're mine, now, remember?" He smiled broadly and winked. "So…make this our room."

"Yeah but your room smells like cigars and sweat."

"Seemed to be plenty satisfactory last night."

"Well, in the right context cigars and sweat can be a total turn on…but my room is bigger and it's got a great view of the lake."

"Which means the kids are right outside the window. We're in the back of the place here."

"Mine has room for a king bed, Logan."

"Sold."

"Glad that's settled. Now get me something to eat. I'm in need of sustenance."

"You and me both, darlin'."

They walked into the dining area and saw that most of the kids had already come and gone. Only some of the staff remained including Ororo, Piotr and Scott. She saw the three of them at a table and, as she and Logan approached, Scott looked up and the half smile he'd had on his face disappeared immediately upon catching her eye. Her heart sank and she felt the immense weight of guilt over hurting one of the closest friends she had. Rogue smiled at him and he did his best to return the favor, but she could tell it was forced at best. She sighed, hoping that in time he would get used to the idea of them being just friends and that, maybe, he would be able to find someone to love again.

"C'mon darlin'. Let's eat before Colossus comes back for thirds."

Rogue smiled and nodded, taking comfort in the fact that today was the first day in a very long time she'd been truly happy. A new day and a new beginning.

~oOo~

Jean stood in the doorway and watched as Rogue and Logan sat down and ate breakfast. She remembered a time when Scott and she used to look at each other with such love and her chest ached as her eyes were drawn to Scott's handsome face. Nothing in her life was what she wanted it to be. Ever since the entity that called itself the Phoenix had become stronger and begun taking over her personality, everything had spun out of control. The way the Phoenix had ruined her life through suppressing Jean's true personality had driven away everyone she loved…including Scott.

When she thought about everything she'd done, it was as if Jean was looking down, watching as someone else controlled her actions. Being cruel to Rogue, throwing herself at Logan, pushing Scott away…it was all the Phoenix. Jean knew her control was being overthrown and that she was rapidly losing herself to the Phoenix. She was desperate to find a way to control it before it was too late.

The Professor was one of the strongest telepaths in the world and even his immense abilities weren't enough to help Jean defeat the power inside her. After seeing Rogue's display of her own power against her inner voices, Jean began to hope that there might be some way Rogue could help her. But every time the genesis of a plan began to take shape in her mind, Jean was thwarted by the Phoenix. She was becoming so tired, so eager to have peace again that fighting this…creature…was taking more of a toll than she could bear. Jean suspected that very soon, she would be lost forever. Unless…maybe…Rogue could be powerful enough for the both of them.

~oOo~