~oOo~

In the week following Rogue's breakthrough, her life had taken on a new level of normalcy. She and Logan had developed a strong routine and she loved being able to teach the children without fear of some kind of incident. Rogue was honestly more content than she'd felt since childhood. Living with Logan wasn't always easy but being with him was the most natural thing in the world. They were two parts of a whole. When they weren't with each other, it felt as if something in her was lacking. As if she were off balance and the only thing to right her was Logan's presence.

Rogue stood in the shower, the too hot water cascading down her body, her hands resting on either side of the shower walls. She willed herself to believe that the sense of foreboding and danger that had gnawed at her all morning had just been the fact that Logan had been gone overnight on an orienteering field trip with some of the students. Maybe his absence from her was made more powerful now that they were, in effect, mates.

She chuckled to herself at the thought of herself as some animal. It sounded so absurd. But the plain fact was that they were bonded as feral beings, not just as Logan and Marie.

"Maybe I should get us dog collars for Christmas." She muttered.

Rogue turned around in the shower and felt the heat of the water slide down her back, her arms crossed in front of her. She'd had the ability to sense an oncoming threat ever since she'd absorbed Carol Danvers, but the power had never been fully accessible to her due to all the chaos in her mind. Now, however, she could feel it clearly. It was if an ice pack had been placed on the back of her neck. Despite the water temperature, she was cold and her body was tense.

Surrendering to the fact that the shower was doing nothing to take away the sensation of dread, she stepped out of the stall and got dressed. As soon as she'd finished drying her hair, the familiar voice of Charles Xavier echoed through her head.

"All senior members of the X-Men are to report to the war room immediately."

She hated it when she was right.

~oOo~

Rogue, Ororo, Scott, Jean and Hank stood in front of the Professor as he spoke, pointing to the display screen behind him.

"Just a few minutes ago, I received a transmission that one of our distress signals had been activated."

The map flashed and zeroed in on a small red dot blinking its way slowly across the map.

"California. Who do we have in California?" Scott thought for a moment before his head snapped up and caught Charles' eye.

"It's Jubilee's."

Rogue's arms went to her sides and her jaw slammed shut; her teeth ground together and the muscles in her face flexed. Scott asked the question before Rogue had the chance.

"Where are they going?"

"All I can ascertain is that she is in a helicopter flying toward the Nevada border. There are several abandoned military installations that the vehicle could be headed for. All we can do is wait and see where she is being taken."

"Why the hell do they want her?" Rogue's anger was palpable.

Hank responded. "She may not have been targeted but simply at the wrong place that wrong time. We've had reports of mutants going missing for a few months now. I believe that the military may be abducting them for cure experimentation. Although why they would take Jubilee is beyond my understanding. She is a Stanford University student and it would be noticed that she was missing." He paused, his eyes widening. "Unless…"

"Unless what, Hank?" Rogue wanted answers.

"It's possible she was taken because of her genetic research. Did she mention anything about an internship or possibly a fellowship program?"

Rogue's heart sank. "When I talked to her last, she said she would see me when finals were done. But she did email me a few days ago and said some bigwigs were interested in her work and might be calling her. That was the last I heard."

"Well, it is obvious she knows she is in danger otherwise she wouldn't have activated her signal. I am tracking the helicopter should her device become inactive so we will know where they land. Jean, Scott, Ororo, Hank and Colossus should be prepared to depart in one hour."

"I'm going, Professor."

"Rogue, I'm not sure it's the best time…"

She was not about to let them leave her out of this mission. Marie wasn't going to sit in the mansion wringing her hands and pacing the floor while the team rescued her best friend.

"Look, Charles, I'm fine. I'm more than fine. There is no reason for me not to go on this operation."

To everyone's surprise, Jean took up Rogue's defense. "Professor, I don't see any reason Rogue shouldn't be on this assignment. By her own admission, she feels ready and stable enough to be a part of the team again."

Rogue looked at Jean. The telepath appeared startlingly calm and composed, a contrast to the tension normally evident on her face in recent times. Just before Rogue spoke, she saw and felt Jean's demeanor change as if a switch had been flipped. The softness in her eyes disappeared and was replaced by that same, familiar rigidity. Once again, the sensation of dread crept up her spine. Nevertheless, Rogue wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

"Yeah…thanks, Jean."

"Alright, then. The Blackbird can pick up Logan on the way."

"Charles, Logan and I are together but he's not my babysitter. I ran more than my share of missions before he returned."

"That you did, my dear. Then I believe our team has already been assembled."

The X-Men acknowledged his decision and the Professor watched as they departed the war room, knowing that he would be on the receiving end of an earful when Logan returned. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure the Danger Room was available.

~oOo~

They were assembled in the Blackbird an hour later, listening intently as Scott and the Professor, via the onboard video screen, briefed them on the mission. Charles' face was strained as he relayed what he'd discovered.

"We have traced the helicopter to a small outpost in the Sierra Nevada mountains. From what we can tell, it is the remains of a military compound used in the 1950's. I can only assume that we're looking at a…research laboratory. Unfortunately, I cannot ascertain how many other mutants might be present. They may be underground with a dampening field surrounding the facility."

Bile rose in Rogue's throat at the thought of Jubilee being subjected to such cruelty. Her own torture at the hands of Magneto was bad enough; she shuddered to think what might go on in a place outfitted solely for mutant experimentation.

Scott started outlining their rescue plan. Rogue listened intently, her hands opening and closing as a way to release the pent up tension in her body.

Help me.

The telepathic message reverberated in Rogue's head as loudly as Scott speaking just a few feet away. She'd know that voice in her head anywhere. Jean. Rogue looked over at the redhead only to be met with the telepath's unnatural gaze. They were the same black eyes that had bored into her that day in the med lab.

"Let's head out, people."

Rogue's concentration was broken by Scott's voice and when she turned back to Jean, the woman was already at the helm of the jet, prepping it for takeoff. The question rang in her mind as loudly as Jean's voice; why was she asking Rogue for help? Jean had treated Rogue, as well as Scott and many others, so egregiously over the past year. A cry for help from Jean seemed completely out of character. But, then again, Jean's personality shift seemed bizarre to everyone as well. As they moved about the Blackbird, getting ready to launch, Rogue continued to mull over the situation in her head. It was Jean's eyes that disturbed Rogue. She'd seen Jean use her powers too many times to count and she never remembered seeing a physical change in the woman before.

"You okay, Rogue?"

Scott's deep voice broke Rogue from her thoughts and she smiled, pushing her reservations to the back of her mind.

"Yep. Just want to go be a big damn hero."

"You've always been a big damn hero to me."

"Thanks, Scott."

As she felt the Blackbird ascend into the sky that foreboding sense of danger coursed through her. It was the same feeling Rogue had before the mission in which she'd taken Carol Danvers life. She hoped this time her sixth sense would be proven wrong.

~oOo~

Logan tossed his backpack on the patio and gestured to the ten kids straggling in behind him.

"Just put your packs here, guys. Get somethin' to eat and then get this sh...stuff cleaned up. I don't want to be on the receivin' end of the housekeeper's wrath again."

"Mr. Logan, I think my legs might explode." The lanky boy with red hair practically stumbled past Logan as he dumped his muddy backpack onto the ground.

"You're 15, kid, your body is made to bounce back. Collapse, maybe, but explode…nah."

The young man tried to force a smile, but the exhaustion won over and he limped into the house. Logan laughed softly and headed inside where he grabbed one of the treasured Molson's from his spot in the staff refrigerator. They'd returned a few hours later than he'd planned thanks to the lack of endurance from some…well, most…of the kids. All he wanted right now was a shower and Marie. And not necessarily in that order.

He took a deep swig of his beer when he saw Charles coming down the hallway in his wheelchair.

"Logan, may I speak with you?"

"Chuck, I'd love to, but after twenty four hours in the woods with those kids, all I want is a hot shower and to see Marie. How about in an hour?"

Just as Logan was about to pass by, the elder man's voice stopped him dead in his tracks.

"Rogue is not here, Logan. She's on a mission."

He practically choked on the liquid in his throat.

"She's what?"

"Late this morning, we received a signal that Jubilee had activated her distress signal. Rogue, Jean, Scott, Hank and Ororo left earlier this afternoon to rescue her."

"Are you fuckin' serious, Chuck? She just came out of this shit with Danvers and you decide it's a good idea to send her on the first mission she's had in a year? Goddamn, it."

"I had the same thoughts as you, Logan. But she's more than capable. You must remember that you've never seen her in any sort of battle that wasn't engineered in the Danger Room. Before Carol, she was a highly effective team member. You may not realize this, but her powers are immense. They were before her altercation with Miss Danvers and since she's been able to integrate them, Rogue may now even be one of the most powerful mutants on the planet."

Scott's words echoed through Logan's mind. She was like a surgeon in battle. Logan moved to the dark, wooden wall and leaned against the cool, firm surface. Instinctively, he knew Charles was right. She was an amazing fighter and was more than skilled enough to handle herself in a fight. But he didn't like the idea of his woman out there in a situation where he couldn't watch her back. He couldn't handle it if he lost her again.

"I still don't like it, Chuck."

"Is that the X-Man talking…or the man who loves Marie talking?"

He sighed. "A little of both but probably more of the last."

"I understand, Logan."

"Where are they?"

"An installation in the Sierra Nevada's. I don't expect it will be too difficult. They've done these types of rescue operations before. I would imagine they should be checking in any time now."

"Fine. I'm trustin' you. You hear anythin', I'll be in the Danger Room."

Charles pointed to his temple. "I'll contact you immediately."

Logan turned and made his way to the stairs and down towards the Danger Room where he fully intended to spend the next several hours destroying and disemboweling anything and everything in his path.

Charles watched as the large man disappeared around the corner. He prayed silently that Rogue would come back safely. Because if she didn't, he had no doubt Logan would be utterly destroyed.

~oOo~

The complex was small and rather unassuming except for the extensive network of protective fencing and security cameras around the perimeter. Still, if one didn't know what the facility was used for, it could be mistaken for just another army station. But it wasn't just another random military building, they knew exactly what was going on inside and the people behind those walls probably did not have much time.

"So we ready to start the smash and grab, fearless leader?" Rogue was anxious to get moving, not wanting to think about Jubilee hooked up to devices and being poked and dissected like a lab rat.

"We do have a plan, Rogue."

"Yes, the plan. The plan to get in there and get everyone out."

Scott nodded to Storm. Her eyes glazed over and the team smelled the ozone in the air. In only a few moments, flashes of lightning streaked in front of the building, striking the protruding metal on the rooftop. Scott's hand went to his visor and the red beam from his goggles struck precisely at the small transformer box secured next to the structure.

"That should disable most of their electronics. I'll take out the cameras as we go. Jean, see what you can do about stunning any guards along the way. I don't really want to make this any more complicated than it needs to be." Scott nodded his head signaling their assault. "Let's move."

Rogue progressed through the facility as efficiently as ever. Adrenaline flowed through her and as she continued to dispatch guards, the exhilaration at being able to control and focus her powers made her almost giddy.

She giggled.

"Rogue…"

Hank bounded past her and grabbed the gun of an oncoming soldier, flipping it out of his hand and cold cocking the man with a roundhouse kick to the face.

"Did you just giggle?"

She smiled broadly. "God, Hank I forgot how much fun this is."

"I have quite a different definition of fun, dear. But, I suppose I should be glad you are…enjoying yourself." He turned to Ororo and waved his large, furry hand. "Storm, the computer systems are down this way. We will continue down to the labs and meet you at the rendevous."

The team split off from Ororo and only a few short minutes later they'd reached the doors of the main research facility. Rogue took a breath as Scott blasted through the door. Upon entering, they were met with the stereotypical medical facility. Stark metal patient tables stood in the middle of the room, surrounded by bright lights and large stacks of medical equipment. The vials of liquid on the side of the room were reminiscent of something out of Frankenstein's lab. Rogue twisted around and saw approximately twenty cells, most of them filled with mutants. Jubilee…where was Jubilee?

Rogue heard the click of guns as the guards moved around the room, positioning themselves in front of the medical staff.

Scott took a step forward and prepared to speak when the entire group of soldiers and lab personnel fell to the ground unconscious. He turned and caught Jean's eye.

"I had a nice speech prepared, Jean."

The faintest of smiles flickered across her face and his chest tightened, remembering how close they used to be. How easy their banter and friendship once came to them.

"I'm sure it would have been very impressive. But someone here is in pain, we need to move."

The four of them spread out, Scott locating and opening the cell doors while Hank moved through the rooms, checking the victims for injuries. Rogue was desperately looking for Jubilee, wondering if something had gone wrong, maybe they'd taken her to another facility or worse…

"She's here."

Hank's voice snapped Rogue from her panicked thoughts and she ran to the doctor's side. As soon as she approached the cell the metallic scent of blood assaulted her nose. When she saw Jubilee's small form on the cot in the corner, she had to concentrate to suppress the anger coursing through her. Rogue had seen Logan in a berserker rage before and she could feel all the telltale signs of the uncontrollable frenzy breaking through her defenses.

"Hank. How bad?"

For someone of his size, Hank was amazingly gentle. He opened Jubilee's eyes, felt her head and took her pulse. Rogue could hear Jubilee's steady heartbeat but the smell of her best friend's blood was clouding her ability to focus on anything but her pain.

"She will be fine. Obvious contusions and some lacerations. I will conduct a more thorough exam at the mansion to ensure she has no internal injuries."

The dark eyes of Jubilation Lee slowly opened and came to rest on Beast's face.

"I never thought I'd be so happy to see you, Big Blue."

"The feeling is quite mutual, Jubilation. What happened?"

"Oh, well, these government types don't seem to like the word 'no.'" She began to shift and attempted to sit up, taking Hank's arm for support.

"I have a feeling you might not have been using your best manners, my dear."

Jubilee grimaced as she let out a small chuckle. "You don't think 'fuck you and the lame ass donkey you rode in on' was good manners, Hank?"

The doctor's roar of laughter brought Rogue back from the edge of losing control. She moved to her friend and carefully put her arms around Jubilee's shoulders.

"Jubes, this is not what I wanted to be doing on my weekend off."

"Sorry chica. I'll buy you a new purse."

Rogue hugged Jubilee as tightly as she could, being mindful of both her friend's injuries and Rogue's own increased strength.

"I'm just glad you're okay."

"Me too, redneck. Me too."

~oOo~

Storm met back up with the team on the main floor of the facility. She'd managed to download the operation data, hoping the Professor would be able not only to find out more specifics on what the government was doing but to use it as leverage in their own fight for mutant rights.

There'd been twelve other mutants taken besides Jubilee. They were a combination of runaways, drifters and a few older men and women that had been picked up as extra laboratory fodder. Jubilee had been targeted for her work in genetics. The government had taken notice of her research and wanted to use her knowledge for their experiments. They'd been less than pleased when Jubilee put up such staunch resistance and had used her subsequent beating as a demonstration of what would happen if any of the other mutants thought about doing the same thing.

"Those assholes. I'm sort of pissed we didn't kill everyone in here."

Scott smirked. "Try being the fearless leader. I have to set a good example…if I didn't, I'd blast this place to kingdom come." He stepped to the main exit and gestured to the others. "Let's get home. The beers are on me."

He opened the door and the roar of engines assaulted their ears. Just outside the fence line were three military helicopters and at least sixty armed troops on the ground.

Not good odds.

Scott began to give orders but was interrupted when Jean stepped forward and moved directly in front of the team. She neither spoke nor looked at anyone as she walked out the front door and stood fifteen feet from the building.

Remembering her earlier self-comparison to a dog, every fiber of Rogue's being went on instant alert; as if her hackles were rising. The sensation she'd felt in the shower that morning magnified one hundred fold and Rogue stood as the realization washed over her.

"Oh shit."

Despite the noise, Scott heard Rogue's words. "Rogue. What the hell is going on?"

They watched as Jean's arms rose out and away from her sides, her palms facing the sky. She glided effortlessly into the air as her body began to ripple with energy.

Hank's voice was pure panic. "She's going to attack them. Scott…."

As much as he was an excellent field leader and able to guide the X-Men through all manner of tense and life threatening situations, he absolutely did not know what to do next. Rogue took charge.

"We have to stop her. She's…she's not Jean."

"What? Of course…."

"Scott, I've had this feeling for weeks now. You know damn well better than I do that she's changed. It's just like me. Her power is overtaking her and she's not strong enough to fight it. I've seen it in her eyes twice. She's shut Charles out of her mind for months now!" Rogue was yelling, trying to get her point across so that Scott would see the truth. "Scott, look at her! Have you ever seen her like this?"

She put her hands on his shoulders. "Scott, shoot." His head whipped around to face Rogue, his expression filled with anger and confusion. "In the leg…the arm…just distract her so we can talk her down."

No more discussion was needed and he turned in Jean's direction, his hand moving to his visor. It was a moment's hesitation, but enough to get Rogue to yell at him to hurry. In an instant, the beam of energy was hurtling towards Jean, but just as it should have struck the back of her leg, it stopped inches away from her skin. Jean's head turned to the side and she smiled, her voice loud, firm and definitely…un-Jean like.

"Naughty, Scott. I've got work to do."

Seeing the blast stop short of its target was enough for the soldiers to panic and raise their weapons, aiming them squarely at Jean. Her arms moved higher and her body followed, taking her ten more feet into the sky. The fence began to shake and, to Rogue's astonishment, simply evaporated. It looked like a fuse being lit, the metal disappeared and small flakes of silver floating through the air were the only sign anything had been there. The commanding officer took this as a sign of hostility and Rogue heard the order echo over the whirling helicopter blades.

"OPEN FIRE!"

The bullets were coming so fast that Rogue had only a nanosecond to react. She ran forward, extending her arm in front of her, summoning Magneto's power and stalling the ammunition in its tracks. Rogue stopped, under and to the left of where Jean still hovered in the air.

Stop her.

Jean's voice rang through Rogue's head as loudly as it had earlier in the Blackbird. Rogue looked up and saw the black veins crisscrossing Jean's cheeks and neck. The whisper of a smile crossed the Jean-thing's face and, in front of them, the bullets exploded. What happened next was burned into Rogue's memory.

One of the soldiers began to scream and, just like the metal fence, his body evaporated. The other men took notice immediately. Some began to open fire; others started to run for the cover of the helicopters.

But Rogue knew there was nothing they could do to protect themselves, and in that instant, she knew what had to be done. Rogue turned to look at Scott. She smiled and could tell by his furrowed brow that he didn't quite comprehend what was going to happen next. But Jubilee did. Her best friend moved to the team leader's side and took his hand. Suddenly, Scott realized what Rogue was determined to do. His head moved wildly back and forth and he stepped forward, only to be physically restrained by Hank.

Rogue blew Jubilee a kiss, winked and rocketed upwards. The thought crossed Rogue's mind that if she survived the next few minutes, Logan was probably going to kill her.

~oOo~