Have I Ever Steered You Wrong?:

The man pried her fingers from the cot. She was trembling so hard her hand looked blurry and slashed in red. She sat, still and frozen even as the man pulled her into his lap and rocked her back and forth, his hand running soothingly along her shoulders and back.

“Shhh. Hush now, it’s alright. Logan’s here, he’s got you.” Whether it was the sound of his name, or his soothing tone, she was slowly pulled from the frozen shock that had claimed her. She buried the bad things beneath the already overstuffed proverbial rug inside her brain and did her best to flatten it out.

She was comfortable in his lap, with his arms around her, so she stayed where she was only moving when the temptation to touch him again was just too much. Really, what did he expect anyway, with that tan expanse of skin so close to her lips and teeth? So she bit him.

“Darlin’…” The sound that escaped his throat was rough and low and tinged with what she knew at one time to be passion. It also contained a trace of regret that she didn’t care for, not when hands were touching her for the first time in her short memory with something other than hurt on their minds. “any other place and any other time, I’d throw myself into this with no upset to my conscience and loose myself in you, but right now we gotta get outta here. Are you with me Marie?”

She focused and smiled and reached into her brain to pull the little piece of her out the box. She didn’t dare leave it open, too many things might get in. When a bit of clarity, not nearly as much as she’d forced before, slipped into her she nodded sadly.

“Let’s go.”