Story Notes:
As a warning, this story contains some graphic violence and deals with themes of abuse. Um... if it's any consolation, though, there's a happy ending!
Hilighter in hand, Jean rifled through her conference bag trying to dig out the agenda. “Logan, do you mind?” she asked, shoving a stack of adverts, brochures, and handouts at him as she sorted the mess.

Logan allowed her to pile papers on his arms with minimal grumbling, wishing Scott and ‘Roro would hurry the hell up. He was starving. “When’s that ‘MRA and State’s Rights’ thing gonna be over?” he asked.

Jean glanced up at him, laughing tiredly. “Soon, Logan, I promise. Look, I appreciate you coming with us to this. I think people really responded to seeing you, a survivor. My talk on mutant experimentation has never been so well-received. Believe it or not, we’re making a difference here. Changing one mind at a time.”

Logan simply grunted. He didn’t particularly enjoy letting a bunch of rich people stare at him like he was some sort of circus freak, but Chuck had been after him to go to one of these events for years. He had finally caved.

And it was even fucking worse than he thought.

He glanced impatiently at the adjacent meeting hall, willing the doors to open and pour out his fellow X-Men. If he didn’t feel bad leaving Jean to wait all by herself, he’d have hightailed it out of The Statehouse Convention Center of Anchorage, Alaska twenty minutes ago.

At least it was Alaska. He had a feeling if this thing had been in D.C., they’d have made him wear a suit or something. He could crawl out of his skin just thinking about it.

“You’re growling. Relax, Logan. Just relax.”

Jean’s voice grounded him, soothed something deep inside him. After his memories were restored, he had realized that his attraction to the fire-haired beauty was partly misplaced, some twisted remnant of the maternal affection he’d felt from another woman long ago. Still, to this day, the sight of red hair and the sound of a soft alto voice never failed to calm his animal side, and she knew that.

She rubbed his shoulder and purred, “Why don’t we skip the last session of the night? We can all go out for dinner once Scott and Ororo are finished.”

Logan sighed in relief. “You read my mind, Jeanie.”

“Yes,” she said with a teasing smile, “I did.”