Marie pulled into the parking lot at Jose’s Cocina. Logan hadn’t wanted her to drive her old car, but in the end he conceded, shoving his room key and a cell phone into her jacket pocket and telling her to call ‘Munro’ from the contacts list if she needed him.

It was Sunday, so the restaurant was closed. But Jose always came in on Sundays to do the books. She pulled in next to his car, trying to clear her head before she went inside.

How long ‘til Logan gets bored of you?

From stripper to sex toy. Way to move up the ranks, slut.

He’s going to realize you’re not worth it.

This is just the latest mistake in a long list of mistakes, you stupid girl.


Marie’s inner montage was having a field day. Nameless voices, hateful and demeaning. The only two who didn’t have anything to say were Cody and Tina. They were never cruel to her. But then, they never tried to help her, either.

Feeling stronger than she had in ages, Marie cut right through their bullshit, banished every doubt with a single question: What do I have to lose?

She turned off the car and stepped out, an all-too-familiar fear roiling in her stomach as she made her way to the door. Last time, she consoled herself. This is the last time I’ll ever have to see him.

She took a deep breath, brushed her sweaty palms against her jeans, and steeled herself to face Jose.