Having opted not to attend the International Mutant Rights panel with Ororo, Logan leaned against the wall in the reception area, trying his damnedest to look menacing and unapproachable. Jean wasn’t kidding about her talk being a success. If one more person came up to him and told him they were sorry for his “ordeal,” he’d claw them.

He wondered if Marie was back at the hotel yet. The thought both excited and worried him. He had been formulating strategies all morning, trying to address the swarm of concerns pestering his thoughts.

How long could he keep his mutation hidden from her? How could he explain his feral tendencies? Would she find it strange that they were driving to New York? He couldn’t very well board a commercial plane, and he sure as hell couldn’t bring her on the Blackbird with the rest of the team.

That brought up a whole new line of questions. How would the team react when they found out he brought home a little souvenir from Alaska?

Not that they really needed to know. They all lived in Xavier’s mansion. Marie would live in town with him, and as far as he was concerned she didn’t need to have anything to do with the school. He had always kept his personal life private; work was work, and home was home. And Marie was definitely home, he decided.

Taking care of her shouldn’t be a problem. He made much more money than he used. And if he were honest, he liked the idea of being the provider. He wanted to hunt for her and build a fire to keep her warm and bring home useless, pretty things just to make her happy.

Whoa, Wolverine. Back the fuck up. Marie had barely agreed to come with him, and certainly hadn’t committed herself to him beyond that. Not yet, anyway. Logan needed to keep those instincts from running away with him.

The instincts were winning out though, and they were telling him more and more insistently to make her dependent on him so she couldn’t abandon him. He knew that was wrong, on some level, to drag her off to an unfamiliar place where he would be the only person she knew. To make her leave her job and rely on him for everything.

But . . . it was only natural.

It wasn’t like he was dragging her off to a cave to have his way with her. He just needed her to himself for a while, so he could prove himself to her and show her what a good mate he would make. He wasn’t sure if that was normal, if other men did those kinds of things when they found the woman they wanted. He supposed not, but then, he wasn’t entirely man.

Logan wished Marie had his senses and instincts, because then everything would be easy. She would smell how right they were for each other, how compatible.

Infatuation came and went, relationships constantly changed, but nature endured. And nature made Marie just for him—he could feel it. He just had to find a way to make her feel it, too.