“Nah, you all go on. I’m gonna stick around, have a few more beers. I’ll catch up with you tomorrow,” Logan said as the others stood up from the table.

Jean just raised a delicate eyebrow at him as Scott led her out of the restaurant. “Uhuh. You have fun with that waitress, Logan.”

He merely shrugged. “Maybe I will, Jean. Maybe I will.”

-----------------------------

Logan glanced at the game only often enough to keep up with the score, drinking steadily and watching the customers come and go. He’d been here for hours, but then, so had that table of college kids. He figured it wasn’t too weird, as long as he was pretending to watch the game.

He wanted to chat up the waitress a bit, but she was so damn busy. She was the only one working the restaurant it seemed, other than the cook. If she wasn’t waitressing, she was bussing the tables or working on who-knew-what back in the kitchen.

Just as he was downing the last of his beer, she showed up at his side with another. She popped the top off and set it in front of him. “Still doin’ alright over here?”

He looked her over, drawing in her scent as inconspicuously as he could. She had fixed her hair at some point and tucked her shirt back in. “Yeah, darlin’, I’m good. They keep you awful busy ‘round here.”

“Um, yep,” she said. “Well, enjoy your beer.” She picked up the credit card slip left by Jean for the dinner and paused. Her scent changed again in that way he really didn’t like. “Oh, did I—I’m sorry. Was everythin’ alright with your friends?”

Logan shrugged. “Huh? Yeah, why?”

He could swear he saw tears coming to her eyes. “Nothin’. Enjoy your beer.”

Logan grabbed her arm to keep her from walking away—and she flinched as if he’d hit her. He let go abruptly, snagging the receipt from her hand. “Lemme see that.”

The waitress had written ‘Thank You’ and drawn a little smiley face on the receipt. That was—that was kind of cute. But his eyes narrowed where the line next to ‘Tip:’ had been marked through. “She stiffed you?” he asked incredulously.

“I dunno what I did wr—um, sorry. I—sorry.”

Logan shook his head. “What the hell are you apologizin’ for? You didn’t do anything. Jean—she’s—well, frankly, she can be a bitch, darlin’. Don’t let it get to you. Look, I—here.” He dug his wallet out of his back pocket to give her a tip.

The girl definitely looked like she was going to cry now. Shit. “No, I couldn’t—please don’t—I couldn’t take your money. Um, just, tell her I said sorry, okay?”

Logan tilted his head and stared at her. “What the hell for?”

“F-for whatever I did to make her—“

“Hey, honey, one more round!” one of the college guys called out.

“Oh. Sure thing!” she said, scurrying away before Logan could say anything else.