Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry, this chapter is a little slow, setting up for the next section. :-D
Now that it was late afternoon, the halls were overrun with students. Logan watched Marie huddle into herself, flinching every time a student strayed too near. Her pulled her closer, his glowering presence alone enough to clear a path for them to the smaller staff kitchen.

He pulled a stool up to the island, pushing her onto it. He dug in the fridge, collecting an odd assortment of food -- cold fried chicken, fruit salad, cheese. “Eat,” he instructed.

She shot him a token glare, but without the usual force behind it. She still seemed shaken, even though he could smell her relief at having unburdened herself of her secret.

She carefully removed her gloves and started to eat, toying with the food at first and then eating more steadily as her stomach seemed to settle.

He leaned his elbows on the island, popping the cap of his beer on the edge of the solid marble countertop. He took a long draught, watching her eat, thinking over his next steps.

“I’m gonna call Xavier, in here, okay?” he asked. “Just him. And we’ll go from there.”

He saw the flicker of doubt in her eyes, the slight tensing of her muscles as if she would just take off running. He kept his eyes steady on hers, waiting, until the moment passed.

“Okay,” she said.
________________________

“Erik,” Xavier repeated, a wealth of pain and bitter memories in his shocked voice. He seemed smaller in the kitchen, more approachable than he had been in his imposing study, and Logan saw Marie’s suspicious gaze soften a little.

“Erik and I have certainly...had our differences,” Xavier said meditatively. Logan saw the briefest straining of his hands against the armrests of his wheelchair. He had never asked for details, but he knew that it was Lehnsherr who had put Xavier in the chair, decades ago. Differences indeed.

“I cannot fathom, however, that Erik would be a willing part of this...atrocity. It is exactly what he has fought so violently to oppose -- mutants being treated like chattel, the enslavement of a race. If there is one thing of which I can be certain, it is that Erik would revile such a practice.”

“Mar-- Rogue said he was posing as a buyer, and when it comes down to it so was I.” Logan took another long gulp of beer, considering. “I think the Brotherhood got wind of this thing before we did. I know we’ve butted heads with them in the past, but I think we may actually be on the same side on this one.”

Xavier nodded. “Which suggests that they may have more information than we do.”

“He let it happen.” They both turned, startled, at the sound of her clear, quiet voice. Marie’s eyes were still focused on the island countertop, one slender gloved finger tracing the whorls of ivory and gray in the marble.

“Rogue?” Xavier prompted.

She lifted her eyes to them, her expression stark and cold. “The one he bought -- Johnny -- it was more than a week ago. He knew about them all -- Freddy, and the rest. Where they were, and exactly what they were doing. He could have shut them down, like you guys were going to. But he didn’t. He let me...get hurt. Get sold.” She looked back down at the counter, her expression shuttered again. “And what they did to Logan. He just let it all happen.”

Logan saw Xavier’s almost imperceptible flinch.

“Acceptable losses,” Xavier mused. “Sadly, that is very much like Erik.”

Logan nodded, fighting to keep the snarl from his voice. “The Brotherhood is after the big fish. They would want to leave Freddy in place until they knew they had his supplier. Anything that happened in the meantime was just collateral damage.”

Xavier steepled his fingers, tapping them against his lips. “They would have kept the location under surveillance. I have no doubt that every member of the Brotherhood has been briefed on your dossier, Logan.”

This time the growl could not be contained, Logan’s claws humming in his forearms with the need for release as he reached the inevitable conclusion. “They’re the ones who tipped Freddy off. Nothing to lose. If I was there, Freddy and his crew were gonna get taken down one way or another. Tip them off, and maybe they take me down first. Either way, the Brotherhood gets rid of a thorn in their side.”

His eyes were drawn to Marie again. He had no doubts about what Freddy had planned for her, after he had finished torturing Logan. The thought that Lehnsherr would have stood back and let it all play out...the claws shimmered at the surface of his skin, and he clenched and unclenched his fists, forcing them back, trying to think unemotionally, tactically.

“So, the Brotherhood is trying to shut these guys down too, but they’re not above screwing us over in the process if the opportunity arises. What the hell does that mean? How does it change our plans?”

“I think...” Xavier paused, his keen mind considering all the ramifications. “I think that Erik and I will have to speak.”
________________________

Logan paced restlessly as Xavier dialed. He had turned a reluctant Marie over to Ororo to help guide Bobby and Peter to the boat ramp by videolink. Having her out of his sight made him edgy. He liked having her close to him, where he could keep an eye on her. Make sure she didn’t get into any trouble.

“Charles.” Lehnsherr’s crisp voice. “To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?”

“I think you know, Erik.”

A pause from Lehnsherr, and then a slow, rich, chuckle. “Well, well, Charles. So your little tin soldier survived his encounter with that delightful gentleman, Freddy? I have to admit I am strangely pleased. I had almost regretted that I would never have the opportunity to meet him in person. It appears that pleasure still awaits me.”

Logan watched a slow flush creep up Xavier’s face. “Enough, Erik!” he snapped. “I know that we have had our differences in the past, but I cannot believe...” He stopped, almost choking on his rage. “My children...”

“Aah.” Lehnsherr’s voice was suddenly grave. There was no further trace of mockery in his tone when he spoke again. “That I did not know, Charles. Which ones?”

Xavier and Logan exchanged glances. Logan nodded.

“Katherine Pryde. And Jubilation Lee. Five days ago.”

“Five days...” A thoughtful pause.

“Erik, you cannot withhold information under these circumstances. You must realize...”

“Now, now, Charles.” The mockery was back as Lehnsherr interrupted Xavier. “Information isn’t free. And I am not entirely sure that I want your merry little band of do-gooders poking their noses into this sensitive operation. However, I do think I could be convinced.”

“What do you want?” Xavier’s voice was detached, frosty.

“I have a fancy to meet this metal man of yours. The Wolverine. Bring him to meet me, and I’ll give you the information I have so far.”

Xavier’s face flushed red with anger. “You must be mad, Erik. We are all very aware of the harm you could inflict on Wolverine with your mutation. It would be unconscionable to ask him to take that risk -- I won’t allow it.”

"You won't allow it? I hadn't realized you kept your pet on so tight a leash, Charles. Why don't you let him speak for himself? Or am I only imagining that it is he that I hear growling in the background?"

Logan had heard enough. "Just give me one reason why I should give you the satisfaction, you son of a bitch."

"One reason? Jubilee and -- what is that dreadful nickname -- Kitty? I count two."

"You bastard --"

Lehnsherr's dry voice interrupted. "But if you truly need more convincing, Wolverine, I have an additional incentive for you. It regards Weapon X."

Logan felt the blood drain from his head, his whole body breaking out in a cold, prickling sweat. "What does Weapon X have to do with this?"

"Exactly the point, Wolverine. Wouldn't you like to know?" Lehnsherr's voice turned crisp and authoritative now, all mockery gone. "Tomorrow at noon in Central Park. Charles, you know where. I'll bring the boy, so you can be assured of his safety -- but the Wolverine must come, or I give you nothing."

A soft click, and then a dial tone.

Logan looked at Xavier, his mind still racing. "Fuck," he finally said.

Xavier's sharp blue eyes met his, his usually calm gaze seeming equally disquieted. "Indeed."
Chapter End Notes:
Please review! :-D