Author's Chapter Notes:
So, have I thanked my lovely beta yet? Probably not, since she never agreed to be my beta, I just finessed her into it by asking her constant questions about my stuff. Anyway, thank you so much Syrin!

As for this chapter...did I mention smut is hard? I was SO relieved to have my smutty chapter out of the way, and settled down to write a nice angsty chapter where Marie's mutation comes back, and then next thing I know I look down at the computer and -- BAM! -- they're doin' it again. So...yeah. I can't help it if my characters are horny little bastards. If you don't like smut, read the first part and you'll know where to duck out. If you do like the smut -- once again, enjoy!

I know this story is hella-long, but we're nearing the end here, so thanks for sticking with me!
Logan held Marie tight in his arms. Her small soft body was pressed against the length of his, her head on his chest as he ran his fingers through her hair. Her fingertips traced slow circles on his hip. They couldn’t seem to stop touching each other.

She looked utterly delectable -- her cheeks flushed, her hair mussed, her lips swollen from the force of his kisses. Just looking at her made his heart twist. He had never felt this way about anyone. The joy was so overwhelming it was almost painful, because nothing this good could possibly last. Not for someone like him.

The last two hours had been a fucking revelation. As much as the Wolverine had longed for some kind of emotional connection to a mate, neither he nor Logan had realized how amazing it would be to actually have it. How it would feel to hear those words from Marie’s lips -- accepting everything that he was, promising to never leave him.

Those words had unmade him, shaken him to his very foundations and put him back together into someone new. Someone who would do every possible thing on heaven and earth to make sure that Marie never had even a second of regret for choosing him.

He pulled her closer, drinking in her satisfied sigh. He wanted to keep her right there in his arms, in the shelter of his body, protecting her from anything that might try to hurt her. And yet there was one thing he couldn’t protect against...

As if his thought had conjured it, he felt the sudden tension ripple through her body. She abruptly rolled away from him, almost falling off the bed in her haste.

“Marie...”

He reflexively reached for her but she scrambled away in a tangle of sheet and naked limbs, backing up to the wall.

“No!” she cried out, her hands held up defensively in front of her, her eyes bright with tears.

He froze in place, both of them breathing heavily. He slowly pulled back the hands that were reaching for her, sitting back on the bed.

“It’s okay, darlin’. Take a breath, okay? I won’t touch you.”

Devastation flickered across her expression, making him want to howl. “Goddammit, Marie, you know what I mean...”

She took a deep breath, swiping at her eyes. She turned her face to the wall, gathering the sheet up around her, her voice shaky.

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry. Just...just give me a minute, okay?”

“Sure, darlin’. Whatever you need.”

She wrapped the sheet more securely around her, and then gathered up a handful of her clothes.

“I’ll just...take a shower,” she said, her voice low and raspy.

“Okay, baby.”

She ducked out of the room and he fell back on the bed in frustration, the delicious scent of her and him and sex now tainted with the salty tang of her tears.

_____________

She emerged from the bathroom already dressed in jeans and her long-sleeved shirt, socks on her feet. He had dressed as well, buttoning his shirt high and pulling his leather gloves onto his hands.

She avoided his gaze as she came back into the room. He watched silently as she pulled the blankets from the floor, looking under them, and then dropped to her hands and knees to look under the bed.

“Fuck,” she muttered to herself. “Fuck, fuck, fuck.”

“What are you doin’, Marie?”

“Goddammit!” she expostulated. She sat back with a huff of frustration, her eyes brimming with tears, her lower lip trembling. “I can’t find my scarf and gloves...I left them here on the bed...”

She looked so forlorn that he wanted nothing more than to cuddle her up in his arms again. You promised to give her space, he told himself sternly.

“There’s more in the dresser, baby. I brought all your stuff.”

She stood up, walking jerkily over to the dresser, yanking open the top drawer. She made a choked sound when she saw the row of gloves. She held up a pair of black silk gloves, staring at them for a moment before pulling them swiftly onto her hands. She opened the next drawer and chose a dark green silk scarf, winding it around her neck.

She closed the drawers softly but didn’t turn around, her spine stiff and her head bowed. He watched as she took a deep breath, her gloved finger tracing a whorl of wood grain on the surface of the dresser.

“You brought all my stuff,” she finally repeated in a low voice. “How did you know?”

He told her the simple truth. “I wasn’t leavin’ that place without you, Marie.”

At that she turned, her eyes closed tight against the tears. “Logan...” she said, her voice thick with longing and despair.

He couldn’t restrain himself any longer. In two steps he was in front of her, pulling her into his arms, ignoring her reflexive flinch away as he cradled her head against his chest. He had almost forgotten this about her -- how she carried herself when her mutation was active, always so prickly and guarded. The way she instinctively tensed against his touch, and then the slow yielding as she finally let her body relax against his.

He scooped her up, bringing her to lie back with him on the bed. He kissed the top of her head, his gloved fingers brushing the tears away.

“Logan...be careful...” she breathed.

His mind suddenly revolted, a low rumble escaping his chest. Fuck giving her space. She’s mine.

“It’s not gonna be that way, Marie,” he growled. “Out there -- with everyone else -- you can put up those walls again, do whatever you have to do to protect yourself. But here with me, there’s gonna be none of that shit.”

“What...”

He interrupted her, his voice low and gruff. “Your skin on mine -- we’ll avoid that if you wanna, because I sure as hell don’t want to put more of me in your head than you’re already havin’ to deal with. But I’m not gonna let you be scared around me, Marie, and I’m sure as hell not scared of you.”

He tumbled her under him, his gloved hands holding her firmly as he ground his hips into hers, staking his claim. Surprise rippled through her body and then her scent flushed with arousal, so rich and sweet it made his mouth water. His head ducked down, his teeth biting firmly down on her shoulder through her shirt and she whimpered with longing, pushing up into his body. He smiled, his tongue lapping the bite through the fabric of her shirt as he rumbled his approval. Maybe she had kept some of his feral after all.

He felt the Wolverine surging to the surface. This was his mate, sweet and soft and pliant underneath him. She had tried to slip away but he had her back now, and he was keeping her. Even after her shower she still had his scent on her, but not enough -- not nearly enough. He wanted to rub it all over her, mark her with his body until she smelled like him and sex and satisfaction again.

Already painfully hard in his jeans, he ground the firm ridge of his body against her softness, watching her cheeks flush, her breath catching with the sensation. He thought of the look that had crossed her face when he had told her that he wouldn’t touch her, and suddenly he knew what she needed. What they both needed.

“I’m not gonna let you shy away from me, Marie. I want you to touch me. Now, later, all the time. And I’m never gonna stop touchin’ you. So get used to it.”

His gloved hands brushed up her arms, pinning them above her head for a moment, and then with a swift movement he stripped her silk gloves away. She gasped in shock, her hands clenching nervously.

“Logan...”

“Hush.” He pulled the scarf up over her mouth, breathing warmth into the fabric for a moment before his lips covered hers. In an instant the whisper of silk was warm and wet, barely a barrier at all as his tongue moved in slow, luxurious strokes against hers.

He kissed her deep and hard until they were both dizzy, pulling away so he could look once more into her wide eyes. “You think I’m gonna let you wrap yourself up again, hidin’ away from me? Hell, no. I want you naked underneath me, Marie. And that’s how it’s gonna be.”

He pulled hard on the edges of her shirt, popping the buttons, spreading the fabric wide. He growled in appreciation at the creamy skin that was revealed, her lush body practically overflowing the lacy cups of her bra. He ducked his head, suckling her through the lacy fabric, drinking in the soft little sounds she made as her body writhed against him. Fuck, but that was good.

“That’s it, baby,” he muttered, unable to resist a swift lick across her creamy bare skin. She cried out in both shock and arousal, and he felt a deep, possessive sense of satisfaction at the sound. Fuckin’ right. My Marie. Gonna make you sound like that all the time.

He sat back, his hands tugging at the button and zipper of her jeans, stripping them down her legs and off her body along with her socks.

“Goddamn, Marie,” he breathed, running his gloved hand up her leg, from her slender ankle up to her thigh, before cupping her gently through her panties. “You are so fuckin’ gorgeous.”

She was biting her lip, lust and caution warring in her expression, her hands still clenching restlessly above her head as he reached for the nightstand drawer.

“What if...” she started, and he growled, leaving the small foil packet on the bed next to them. A swift lick of his tongue over her bare lips to silence her, and then he was kissing her through the scarf again, his fingers stroking her through the thin silk of her panties until they dampened with her arousal. Jesus Christ, he was near to coming in his goddamned jeans like a teenager just from the feel and sight and smell of her.

He sprang a claw, watching her wide eyes watch him as he cut the center of her bra, and then sliced her panties at the sides, pulling them off her body. He took a moment to appreciate the sight of her, creamy skin flushed pink with arousal, naked except for the remains of her shirt.

Jesus fuck, she was so damn sexy, and he had to be inside her. Had to. After a moment of consideration he sliced a few inches of the scarf, and then sheathed the claw again. He held one edge of the scarf, flicking it out so the fabric settled in a soft whisper over her body.

He saw her hands twitch again, and then she buried them beneath the pillow behind her head.

“Nuh uh, baby,” he admonished. Kneeling next to her, he dug under the pillow, grabbing her wrists and pulling her hands back out. “I wanna feel those sweet hands on me, darlin’.”

He opened up his shirt and pressed her hands against his chest, her fingers spread under his gloved palms. He could feel the warmth of her touch through the thin fabric of his undershirt, making him shudder.

“Logan...” her eyes were hazed with arousal, her scent deep and rich and dizzying. He moved his hands away and hers stayed pressed up against his body, stroking across his chest and down his sides.

“That’s it, baby. Just like that,” he mumbled mindlessly, and then he was pulling at the buttons of his own jeans, releasing himself from the tight denim with a sigh of relief.

He ripped open the condom packet, smoothing it over his skin with a growl. He saw one of her hands reach hesitantly toward him, and then she pulled it back.

“Don’t, Marie.” He held her hand in his, pulling it slowly toward his body. “Don’t be scared, darlin’. Touch, me, baby. Please.”

Her small hand brushed tentatively over his condom-covered length, and then she seemed to gain more confidence, grasping him firmly. He closed his eyes for a moment as his mind went blank with the pleasure of her touch.

“Fuckin’ hell, Marie,” he rasped hoarsely as she stroked firmly, her deep brown eyes glowing now.

Then he was lowering his body over hers, the scarf sliding silkily between them. He growled as he felt her momentary tension.

“If we slip up...” she started, and his growl burst free until it was practically a roar. He was about to go out of his fucking mind with lust for her. He had given himself to her, body and soul, and she had promised the same to him. No way was he going to let fear come between them.

“If we slip up, I’ll get a jolt and then I’ll fuckin’ heal, Marie,” he rasped impatiently. Her body was still tense under his, and he forced himself to gentle his voice, his eyes locked on hers. “Do you trust me, Marie?”

He saw the change in her eyes as she finally let go of the fear, her body relaxing underneath his.

“I trust you, Logan.”

He growled in satisfaction and then he was pressing forward, pushing into her through the tear in the scarf, the silky fabric a caress between both their bodies.

“Logan...” She arched up into him, her thighs coming up over his hips, pulling him closer even as he surged forward into her.

“Marie,” he breathed, his lips a hair’s breadth from her ear. He moved against and inside her, feeling her body responding to him. She was so sweet, so soft, so his, and he thought he might die from how good it felt.

She was so beautiful, the veil of the gauzy scarf emphasizing rather than hiding the lush curves of her body, the flush of her skin as her arousal crept higher.

She was getting braver now, her hands roaming every inch of his covered skin. He reciprocated, touching her tenderly, almost reverently, through the sheer fabric. “Beautiful Marie,” he rasped, his body driving strong and deep into hers.

Suddenly it wasn’t enough -- he wanted to see more of her, all of her, and he rolled them until she was straddling him, pushing back until he was sitting up against the headboard. The scarf fluttered away from her body, leaving her bare to his gaze and to his leather-covered hands.

Startlement crossed her face as the slight barrier fell from her skin, but she only hesitated for a moment, adjusting to the new position. Then his gloved hands were on her hips, guiding her, and she threw her head back with pleasure.

“That’s it baby...ride me, darlin’...so beautiful...”

He could feel his own pleasure building, coiling at the base of his spine. She was taking him deep now, her cheeks flushed pink, sweat sheening her skin, her teeth biting down on her full lower lip. He leaned forward, sucking her lip free. She moaned into his mouth and he was hard-pressed to pull away before her mutation could start.

Her eyes locked on his, dark and deep, mirroring his own wonder and devotion. She was crying out now, soft frantic little noises as she moved over him, chasing her own orgasm. She was beautiful -- so damn beautiful that it hurt just to look at her. He was bucking up into her now, unable to stop himself from growling incessantly. His leather gloves were dark against her creamy skin, restlessly cupping the fullness of her breasts, tracing the graceful arch of her spine, urging her on.

She was close, so close, and so was he, the coil of pleasure winding tighter and tighter, his whole body straining towards hers. Her wide eyes met his, her voice almost a sob.

“Logan...”

He growled, deep and low, answering the note of pleading in her voice. “I know, baby. I know. C’mon, darlin’. Just let go.”

He drifted one hand down, his thumb circling in just the right spot and she came apart around him. He pulled her close against his chest as she shuddered, crying out his name, her muscles fluttering around his body.

His body throbbed as pleasure jolted through him like lightning, and then he was coming hard, thrusting hard and deep into her, growling his release into her hair. He slowed and then finally stilled his movements, drinking in the warm, satisfied smell of her, the soft weight of her cuddled up against him.

She yawned against his chest, and he smiled. He drew her gently off his lap, disposing of the condom and scarf and buttoning a few buttons of her shirt over her bare skin so she would feel more secure. Then he pulled her down to the bed, burrowing in behind her, his body curled around hers, his arms wrapped tight around her.

He pulled the sheet over them both.

“Sleep, Marie,” he said softly, and in moments he felt her body drift into slumber. He sighed with satisfaction, nuzzling his face into her hair, and followed her.

___________________
Chapter End Notes:
Please review! :-D