Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay. Blame the little bit of writer's block on how I wanted this chapter to play out combined with work and such. Fun times here. Thanks for your reviews, support and love! XXOO
Logan stood on the back porch, sipping his coffee and watching the water ripple as the rain fell gently on the lake. It had been a week since their encounter with Victor. He and Marie – with Jack's supervision - had gone to Washington State to clean out her apartment and say goodbye to her friends at the animal shelter. They'd been back at Logan's cabin for a few days, talking and getting to know each other all over again. It was good. So good that in the back of his mind, Logan kept waiting for the other shoe to drop.

He heard the door open behind him and as the lock clicked, Marie's arms wrapped around his waist. Logan sighed at the feel of her touch and put his free hand on top of hers.

"Thinking big thoughts out here, Logan?"

"That's me. The big thinker."

"I knew there was more to you than that gun and your surly attitude."

"I'm not surly. I'm gruff."

"Potato..potahto."

Marie removed her arms and stepped to the side, placing her hands on the railing and looking out at the water. They both listened to the rain echoing off the leaves for a few minutes before Logan broke the silence.

"How are you feelin' about all this Marie? You left your job and your place. Now you're stuck here with me."

"I'm not going to lie. My head is still spinning." She turned around and leaned against the wooden support. "I actually liked my little life in Washington. The people I met were genuine and honest and it felt good to be earning my own money instead of living off my family. But you…" Marie reached out her hand and stroked Logan's cheek. "You changed everything. I want to be here with you."

Logan took Marie's hand in his and kissed her chilled, soft skin.

"Besides, I can finish school and find a place to work here just as well as I can there."

"Good. I'm not sure if the town would survive Bobby as Sheriff."

Marie laughed and Logan took her in his arms, the smell of her freshly washed hair sweeter than any perfume she could wear.

She rested in his arms, feeling a contentment she hadn't entertained since she was a small child. Marie's only wish was that her mother could take joy in her new life; a life her mother had worked so hard to help her achieve. But Priscilla D'Ancanto died in a 'car accident' three months ago. Marie had found out when she'd attempted to call her mother's private number from various burner cell and pay phones over the course of a week. When she hadn't been able to reach her, Marie had found her mother's obituary online. Priscilla had made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure that Marie had freedom and Marie intended to honor her mother's memory…even if that meant destroying her father in the process.

Logan kissed the top of her head.

"Let's go get breakfast at Jubilee's. Then you can talk to Hank about this vet idea you've got."

"Don't oversell it, Logan. I'm studying to be a vet, I'm not one yet."

"Yeah, well, if the way Jack took to you was any indication, you're gonna be a regular Dr. Doolittle."

"Great, I'll get a cat."

"No cat."

Marie giggled.

"They're cute."

"No. Cat."

Jack barked.

"Good grief, you're both ganging up on me now. Fine, I surrender. No cat."

They turned to go into the cabin when Jack barked again.

"Jeez, Jack, I get it, no cat."

Marie had stepped forward and had her hand on the door handle when she realized that both Logan and Jack were standing stock still, staring out at the tree line. She looked down and saw Jack's ears pinned back against his head. Logan's neck was strained as he scanned the horizon.

"Logan…?"

He put his palm up to silence her, wanting to concentrate on what Jack had heard. Logan had keen senses. The men in his platoon had been the ones to give him the codename Wolverine. Logan had always been the first one to identify a threat and the first one to respond. On a mission, he'd been fearless, doing what had to be done without question or hesitation. Now, however, Logan's only instinct was to protect Marie.

"Get in the house Marie."

When she didn't move, Logan backed up and put his large hand on her shoulder and spoke through clenched teeth.

"Now Marie."

She opened the door and stepped in the house, moving quickly to the center of the room and sitting on the couch. Marie watched as Logan and Jack walked backwards through the door, both of them remaining focused on the area surrounding the house. Logan closed the door and turned, his eyes dark, focused and altogether frightening.

"Marie, we're going to get to the truck and you get to Bobby as fast as you can. He knows where to take you until this is done."

"It's Victor isn't it?"

"Yeah."

"Come with me Logan. We'll get help. We'll…."

"No, baby. I gotta do this myself."

Marie's chest tightened as she looked into Logan's face. She couldn't lose him. Not after all this.

"Please Logan. Please…"

He framed her face with his hands and kissed her fiercely and possessively. The taste of her was still on his lips as he put his forehead to hers.

"I love you, darlin'. No matter what happens remember that."

She choked on the tears as Logan grabbed her arms and lead her to the side door. He grabbed his gun and radio before opening the door. Jack followed close at Marie's heels, sniffing the air as the trio exited the house and approached the vehicle. Marie looked frantically around, trying to get a glimpse of where Victor might be but her senses were about as keen as a rock compared to Logan and Jack.

Logan stopped when he saw his SUV.

"Fuck."

As soon as the sight of his slashed tires registered in his head, Logan heard the echo of gunfire. Heat radiated through his arm and he grunted with the familiar searing pain. Marie gasped and began to clutch his arm as he dropped to one knee. Logan put his hand on hers, his voice low and firm.

"Marie, run."

"But…"

"Marie, GO!"

Logan's voice spurred her to action and she bolted for the trees that framed the narrow drive. Jack ran ahead of her, looking back to make sure she followed.

Another shot rang out and Logan sprinted forward, taking cover behind the truck. He took a moment to look down at his bicep and saw the blood pooling under his shirt. Nothing more than a deep graze.

"Gonna have to aim better than that you son of a bitch." Logan muttered under his breath.

He scanned the trees to ensure that Marie and Jack had disappeared behind cover before he moved again. Logan reached down, unclipped the radio from his belt and pressed the small button on the side.

"Bobby."

Silence.

"Bobby."

Logan put the radio to his forehead and gritted his teeth.

"Bobby. Please answer the damn radio." He whispered.

Instead of annoyance, dread crept through Logan's chest. If Creed had been watching and waiting, he may have taken the opportunity to take out Logan's back up. Bobby was a good kid; he didn't deserve to be caught up in Logan's shit any more than Marie did.

He put the radio on the ground, pulled his gun from its holster and stepped to the front bumper of his truck. Logan scanned the trees, watching for any hint of Victor's location. He was in a defensible position, God only knew where Creed was or what kind of booby traps he might have set up in the dense woods. Logan just had to make sure Creed couldn't get around him to Marie. He was about to move back to the rear of the vehicle when he heard Victor's voice echo around him.

"Hey Jimmy! I've been missin' our little sparrin' sessions! Let's get goin' runt! I want to get this over so I can bang that beautiful bride of mine!"

Logan knew he was being baited. Creed wanted to throw Logan off center and get him to make a mistake…just like the last time they'd seen each other. Only this time, Logan wouldn't make the mistake of feeling guilty for killing a man who had once been like his brother. He stood up and walked to the small clearing next to his cabin.

"Enough of the cat and mouse, Victor! Get your ass out here so I can gut you like I should have done when I had the chance!"

He stood, watching the trees, waiting for Victor to make the next move. Logan didn't have to wait long.

Victor Creed emerged from the trees, a large grin spread across his face and an even larger knife in his hand. Logan recognized it immediately.

"I brought you your knife…brother."

At one time, Logan would have killed for the man standing in front of him. They'd gone to the depths of hell, knocked down the front door and destroyed everything in their path. At one time, that was enough of a life for Logan. But that life was long gone.

"My brother would never have tried to kill me."

Victor stalked forward, twirling the large blade in his hands.

"And my brother never would have left me to die."

"I should have killed you that night."

"You never had the balls for killin'."

"Not like you, I didn't."

"No, you had a fuckin' soft spot that almost got your whole unit wiped out."

"That's bullshit and you know it."

Logan stepped to the side as Creed advanced a few more steps.

"What's bullshit is you tryin' to take what's mine, Jimmy. I'm not lettin' you do it again."

Logan recognized the telltale sign of Victor's impending attack. Creed shifted to the side and Logan felt the rush of air past the side of his face as Victor launched the knife at Logan's face. It impacted in the wood of Logan's cabin with an echoing thunk.

It was the last sound before a roar erupted from Logan's chest and all hell broke loose.

~oOo~

Marie had followed Jack up the mountain for ten minutes before they stopped at a small wooden lean-to. Jack dipped his head, indicating that Marie should sit. After she'd taken her place on a small bench, Jack padded a few feet out and began scanning the woods. She watched his head move side to side as he listened intently. Marie didn't like running but she sure as hell didn't know what possible help she could be against Victor Creed. It wasn't like she'd been a shining example of strength before.

She didn't just want to sit back while Logan put his life on the line to protect her from Victor Creed. Marie wouldn't forgive herself if Logan was hurt or killed thanks to her hiding in the woods. She stood up and Jack turned his head in her direction. He barked softly as she took a step forward.

"I can't just wait, Jack."

Jack padded toward her and chuffed. His ears shifted forward with his unspoken question. He barked again, and, by way of an answer, they heard an almost inhuman roar wind its way through the trees.

Marie watched as Jack sprinted down the mountain after Logan.

~oOo~

Jack bounded down the incline, jumping over branches and ducking under dense foliage. He'd traveled this route many times a week since he'd come home with Logan. Logan was an alpha. His alpha. He was strong but the Big Man was stronger. If Jack couldn't help Logan, the Big Man would take Marie. He didn't want that. Not at all. Jack liked Marie. He liked the way she smelled and the way she scratched him right behind his ear so that he'd fall asleep. Jack didn't want her to go away.

He ignored a rabbit sprinting into a low bush – rabbits were his favorite – and leapt over a large rock. Jack was approaching the cabin so he slowed down and began to creep little by little, wanting to see what was happening before the Big Man knew Jack was there.

Jack watched from the trees as Logan and the Big Man fought. The scent of blood wafted on the wind as the two men threw punches and parried with each other. Jack padded softly out of the trees and crouched as he walked along the cabin wall. He watched quietly. Watched and waited.

~oOo~

Victor landed a vicious punch to Logan's ribs which drove Logan to his knees. He gasped, attempting to draw breath back into his lungs.

"God, you're soft, Jimmy."

Logan rolled to the side before Victor's boot could connect with his jaw.

"And you're still slow, you big fucking ape."

Logan dodged another blow and drove his fist into Victor's cheek. The impact was enough to drive Victor a few steps backward and Logan took the opportunity to sprint over to where his gun lay on the ground. Victor had managed to knock the gun from Logan's hand earlier in their fight. Logan bent down to grab it but as he came up, Victor wrapped his arm around Logan's shoulder and poised a knife at his throat.

"Drop it Jimmy."

Logan heard the dull thud of the heavy metal as it struck the ground.

Victor spoke into Logan's ear in a perversely intimate way.

"That was stupid, runt. Fuckin' stupid to turn your back on me."

"Yeah, you always take the opportunity to stab people in the back."

Victor's tongue clicked. "Tsk. Tsk, junior. If I remember correctly, you were the one that betrayed me."

"If you're going to kill me, just do it, Creed. I'd rather die with a slit throat than choke on your fucking rancid breath."

Creed laughed and pressed the blade into Logan's jugular.

"I'm gonna miss you, asshole."

Logan felt the metal dig into his skin and just as he was formulating a last ditch plan, Victor roared in pain and stumbled backwards, falling on the ground. Logan spun around and saw Jack's large jaw clamped around Victor's calf. Logan dove on top of Creed, clamping his hand around the blade before he had a chance to plunge it into Jack's flank. He strained with everything he had to overpower Victor Creed. After the fight they'd just had, he wasn't sure if he was going to be able to keep his promise to Marie that they could have a happily ever after.

Victor managed to kick his foot outward and Logan cringed to hear Jack's yelp of pain. That momentary distraction was all Victor needed to get the upper hand. Logan felt his arm twist unnaturally as Creed yanked the knife toward his stomach. Logan only had a second to move backward but it wasn't quite enough. The pain of the blade slamming into body exploded through his side. Logan looked at Victor and saw that familiar sadistic grin spread across his face.

"Gotcha, runt."
Chapter End Notes:
Ohhh...I wonder what will happen next? Review help me post faster. :p