Author's Chapter Notes:
Headed into the home stretch, gang. Seems my stories tend to wrap up around Chapter 13/14. Guess I only have so many words to put down. :p Thank you for the continued support. It's more than appreciated. XXOO
Marie made to the edge of the trees in time to see Logan fall backward on to the ground; his hand pressed to his side. She felt as if the bottom of her world had dropped from underneath her feet.

No. No.

Victor stood up; a long blade clutched in his fist. He stood over Logan's still form and a smile spread across his face. Before she registered what was happening, Marie was running toward the men. Her voice bellowed through the still morning.

"Get away from him Victor!"

Creed's smile morphed into a self-satisfied smirk.

"Time to say your goodbyes Marie."

"Shut the fuck up, Creed." Logan growled.

Logan swept his foot around and caught Victor in the knee, dropping the man to the ground. Logan grimaced as pain from the effort radiated through his side. He had to take Victor down before he got to Marie but the wound was deeper than he wanted to admit and he was already lightheaded from the loss of blood.

Victor roared and pushed himself to his feet. Logan was waiting and his fist impacted Victor's face with a resounding crack. Victor staggered backward again. Logan tried his best to remain standing but the added strain of attacking Creed forced Logan down to one knee. He gasped at the impact and heard Marie anxiously call his name.

"Logan!"

Victor regained his bearings and surveyed the scene in front of him. This was going to be perfect.

"Gonna finally put you in your place, Jimmy."

Marie stopped as Victor knelt over Logan, the knife poised in his hand, ready to strike again. She stood for a moment, sick with the idea that Logan would be taken from her. She took a step forward and her foot struck something hard. Marie looked down and saw a gun lying on the ground, the morning light glinting off the metal.

"I warned you Victor. You had a chance to get out of my life and never come back. This is over."

Victor stared at her a moment and then laughed, the knife still suspended in the air. He stood up and took several steps in Marie's direction, closing the distance between them.

"You're not gonna do shit, Marie. Logan's done and then you and I are goin' back home. I'm done waitin' for my reward."

"You'll get what's coming to you, Victor. You should have gotten it a long time ago."

Marie stooped down and picked up the gun, cocked it and aimed the barrel at Victor's chest. She hesitated – could she really take his life? - and Victor grinned.

"Can't do it, can you, babe."

Images flashed through her mind in a perverse slideshow. Victor looming over her; his fist poised to strike. Looking in the mirror after Victor raped her; seeing the bruises and feeling the pain of his violation.

Then the images shifted to Logan. His love and gentleness. The way he protected and watched over her. With Logan, her life was what it was meant to be. With Victor, her life was empty.

"I can. And I will."

Victor's face blanched. Marie squeezed the trigger and felt the recoil of the gun as the shot echoed in her ears. The bullet impacted Victor square in the chest but instead of falling backwards, Victor lunged at Marie. She pulled the trigger again, and another slug connected with his hip. Still, he advanced quickly. It was like a scene out of a horror movie where the killer continues to attack even after death. Marie wasn't far enough away or fast enough to evade him. Marie attempted to dodge to the right, but Victor's large hand grabbed her arm.

"If you ain't mine, you're sure as hell not gonna be his."

Marie felt the blade plunge into her stomach and she looked down, the knife protruding from her midsection.

"Marie!"

She was vaguely aware of Logan striking Victor in the back and pushing him away from her as she dropped to her knees. Marie shook from the adrenaline and the agony of the wound. There was so much blood. She lay down on her back, not sure if she should move the knife or let it be when Logan appeared next to her, clutching his side.

"Is he?"

"Yeah, darlin', you did good."

Marie couldn't help but chuckle.

"We both got stabbed. What a fucking pair we make."

"Marie, baby, shhh."

She felt a fresh wave of panic when she realized Jack wasn't trotting around.

"Jack!" She tried to sit up, but Logan held her fast to the ground even as he lay next to her.

"No, darlin'. He's okay. I can see him breathing, he's probably just knocked out."

Pain shot through her body. Oh God this hurt so much more than she could have ever imagined.

"This fucking sucks, Logan."

"I know, baby. I'm going to head for help."

She grabbed his hand and looked into his beautiful, dark eyes. Her hand came up and smoothed down his wild, black hair, still dusty from the fight.

"You're bleeding too badly, Logan. Your face is as white as a sheet."

"I'll be fine, Marie."

"Bullshit."

"Don't argue with me Marie."

A wave of dizziness swept over her and she knew it was only a matter of time before she'd be unconscious…or dead. She smiled at him, her hand sliding weakly down the side of his face.

"I love you James Logan."

"Don't."

"I love you more than I've ever loved anyone in my life."

"Don't you dare say goodbye to me, Marie. Don't you fucking dare."

Logan grimaced at the pain that radiated around his waist. He could feel himself becoming more lightheaded. Not a good sign. He had to get help, find a way to get them the happy ending. There was so much he wanted to tell Marie. Apologies for failing to handle Victor years ago. Thanks for the way she'd turned his life around. Regret at the possibility that they wouldn't be able to live out their future together. He fought to keep focus but the blackness crept into the edges of his vision.

He was about to tell Marie how much he loved her when he realized she was already unconscious.

"Goddammit."

Her name was a whisper on his lips.

"Marie."

Logan kissed her forehead and sat up, trying to focus on the cabin and getting to the landline. He began to crawl toward the cabin when he heard a blessedly familiar voice call his name.

"Logan!"

Logan looked up and saw Bobby running haphazardly toward the grisly scene. Hank followed behind, his medical bag in his arms. Bobby didn't look that well himself, his face was bruised and he was favoring his left leg. Logan allowed himself to collapse. He knew Bobby and Hank would do what they could.

"Marie first."

"We got this boss. No worries."

"You okay?"

Bobby smiled. "Always thinking about every damn person but yourself. I'm fine. Victor roughed me up a bit and locked me in the jail. Hank found me and we came straight here. Take it easy, I'm going to call for a helicopter."

Logan nodded and lay down on the ground, turning his attention to where Hank attended to Marie. Hank was working furiously to stem her bleeding and work around the knife. Logan knew he wouldn't want to remove it here for fear she would bleed out. Logan heard Hank yell at Bobby to hurry.

Her name resounded in Logan's ears just like it had that day he'd first laid eyes on her. She was his last thought as he lost the battle with his consciousness.

I love you Marie.
Chapter End Notes:
You want to review? Well, if you insist.