Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm getting the sense that this may not be as 'fast paced' as you may want. I'm really trying to explore Logan and Marie in a different setting away from their powers. So it's definitely going to be a slower pace but there will be angst and action and all that good stuff. I hope you'll come along with me.
Logan turned as he heard the morgue vehicle pull up behind them. He'd been in the process of searching the camper for any indication of who Marie was or why the driver – Mark Reynolds according to his driver's license – had taken her. Marie had been sitting on the side of the road staring at her nametag and running her fingers across the letters as if it would magically unlock her forgotten memories. Hell, maybe it would.

Logan hadn't wanted to continue to ask her anything more until she'd had a chance to rest. It was obvious she had no idea who she was or why she'd been in the camper. Hammering her with questions would have just been a waste of time and unnecessarily contributed to her anxiety.

He began to walk towards the two men and noticed that Marie had turned her attention to the new arrivals as well. Logan met up with Bobby and Hank, keeping his voice low.

"We got a kidnapped woman who can't remember who she is and a body in the driver's seat. Before you ask, yes I shot him and yes it was in self-defense."

"Damn, chief."

"I know, it's a cluster. Look, I've spent the last thirty minutes combing that car and can't find anything that would clue me in as to why this woman would be kidnapped and the driver try to kill me."

"Was she assaulted?"

Hank McCoy was the consummate professional; a brilliant doctor that was hiding in this small town just as much as Logan. The man could have been the top physician at any major hospital he wanted but he'd chosen to live here. Attending to the citizens of Whitefall – and, on occasion, their animals – wasn't exactly the best use of his skills, but Logan sure as hell wasn't one to judge. And, to be honest, he was glad to have a friend.

"Dunno, Doc. She's got a hell of a knot on the back of her head. I'm guessing that's probably what led to her amnesia, but you're the expert. Bobby, you start on the car and work on preppin' the stiff."

Bobby frowned. "I hate dead bodies."

"Yeah, and I'm sure they hate bein' dead."

Logan began to move and then stopped, putting his hand on Hank's shoulder. "Her name's Marie."

"Marie. Yes. Thank you Sheriff."

Logan rolled his eyes. "How long have we known each other now? You don't have to call me Sheriff all the time."

The large man smiled. "Duly noted."

They walked up the road, Logan and Hank moving to Marie and Bobby heading toward the car. Marie's eyes followed the two men as they approached. Both Logan and Hank crouched down next to her.

"Marie, this is Hank McCoy. He's the best doctor in the western hemisphere."

Hank chuffed. "I think he's overselling me a bit, my dear. But I can help, if you are comfortable with that."

Logan found himself relieved to at least see a wan smile cross over Marie's face when she spoke.

"Thank you, Doctor."

Logan nodded to Hank and stood up, not wanting to make Marie uncomfortable by hovering. Although there was that little voice inside his head that kept telling him to stay near her. Protect her. Comfort her. It was driving him crazy. His natural instinct with women was to back away and not get involved. But this one was seriously messing with his status quo.

He walked back to the car, ignoring that little voice and stamping down the emotions that kept welling up whenever he thought of her. Logan felt like he was losing it. This woman was a complete stranger and could be major trouble for him yet he was drawn to her like a moth to a flame.

Bobby was searching the back of the camper.

"I'm gonna call Tom and get him to tow this thing back to the yard. When Hank's done, you and he can get the perp's body into the wagon."

"Aw, shit, boss. Why don't you and Hank take the stiff and I take the hot damsel in distress?"

Possessiveness rocketed through Logan's chest.

"She's not some random bimbo you picked up in a bar, smartass. Just do what I fucking tell you."

Bobby looked genuinely chagrined. Logan almost felt badly for getting angry. Almost.

"Sorry, chief."

"Look, Bobby, this woman has been through some serious shit. This ain't the time for anyone to be anything but professional here."

"Yeah, yeah, I got you, Logan. Sorry."

Logan shook his head and breathed a long sigh. "No, man, I didn't mean to bite your head off. Shooting some guy when I thought I was going to be giving out a speeding ticket was not the way I wanted to start the day. I shouldn't be takin' it out on you."

"No worries, boss. We'll get it done."

"Thanks, Bobby."

Logan moved away from the camper and returned to his SUV. Tom was the local mechanic who owned the only tow truck within fifty miles. Which really sucked when you were in a bind and Tom damn well knew it; he was a slick bastard about jacking up his prices when it suited him. As Logan made the call, and haggled a bit, he couldn't take his eyes off of Marie. She was smiling a bit as Hank spoke with her during his exam. Holy shit, she was beautiful when she smiled.

That distraction almost cost him an additional hundred dollars.

"Tom, you've never charged me a hundred bucks for an emergency roadside response fee and you're sure as hell not gonna do it now. Get your ass out here or I'm buyin' my own damn truck, got it?"

Tom grunted his agreement and Logan ended the call, still watching Marie. Hank had finished his exam and they were engaged in a conversation. Hank was a good friend. But right now, all Logan could see was a rival. Someone who was encroaching in on his territory. There was an animal inside him that clawed and growled at the idea of her looking at someone else.

Logan turned away and virtually slammed his body against the metal of his vehicle. What the flying fuck was wrong with him? He didn't know this woman from Adam and she had amnesia for god's sake. Yet there was something inside him that couldn't stop being utterly and completely fascinated with her. He fucking hated feeling like this. There was a reason he'd spent his life maintaining control but this morning those emotions were beginning to seep out of the sealed compartment in which they'd been contained too long.

"Sack up, man, she's just a scared girl."

She needs you.

He muttered in frustration under his breath as he rotated back toward Marie and Hank. She was standing, staring straight at Logan. His breath stalled in his throat.

Marie.

The sound of her name echoed through his mind with a deafening whisper.
Chapter End Notes:
I would love to hear what you think. :)