Author's Chapter Notes:
Your reviews mean the world to me. Thank you!
Hank had given Marie a clean bill of health; feeling satisfied that her concussion wasn't anything that needed to be checked in a hospital. His orders were for her to eat, shower and rest, but not sleep until he'd seen her again later in the afternoon.

Logan and Marie sat in his SUV as he drove toward town, the sound of the radio filling the otherwise silent air. Every question he wanted to ask related to some aspect of her life; a life she couldn't remember. His hands gripped the steering wheel as he tried desperately not to look over at her.

"I wouldn't have pegged you as a guy who listened to The Eagles."

The sound of her voice was like an arrow piercing his chest. There was something sweet and raw and strong in the way she spoke. He smiled inwardly that she would initiate a conversation with him, especially after everything she'd been through. Logan finally stole a glance her way. Once again, her eyes locked with his.

"I don't, huh? What kind of music do you think I should like?"

She cocked her head to the side.

"Hmm…I would imagine you as more of a classic rock guy. Zepplin, Doors, Hendrix. You've got that kind of an edge."

He chuckled.

"An edge. I dunno. I see myself as more of a 'cranky old bastard' type."

"First of all, you're not old. Second, I just meant that you seem like a no nonsense guy."

Understatement.

"Guess I am, at that. But I do like most types of music. Well, except rap. And that electronic dance stuff."

Marie laughed softly and Logan felt himself slip down the slope just a little further.

"Yeah, you don't seem to be the dance club type."

"Neither do you, darlin'."

"Maybe I was. Maybe I was a lot of things."

Her voice was so quiet. So reflective.

Logan lived with his past every day; that was one kind of hell. Marie was in another. He had no fucking idea what he could possibly say to soothe a wound so deep and raw.

"I'm sorry Marie."

He knew the words were woefully inadequate. He could see out of his peripheral vision that the nametag still danced between her slim fingers. She was holding on to that lifeline to her past as strongly as any drowning person would cling to a piece of driftwood.

The silence hung in the air for a moment while Marie struggled with her words.

"I try to remember something…anything…and there's a wall up that won't let me even peek through a crack. I looked in the rear view mirror while you were talking with Dr. McCoy." She swallowed hard. "I thought there would be some spark of recognition...but there's nothing. It's like I don't exist."

Logan couldn't stand it any longer. He reached out his hand and placed it gently on her shoulder. The logical side of him…the side that kept him in control and focused…screamed at him to remain professional. Keep his distance. She would only complicate things.

But the man in him wanted her in a way that he couldn't describe.

"You do exist, Marie. And we'll find out everything you want to know."

He meant every damn word.

The tremble in her voice was palpable. "Thank you, Sheriff…"

"Logan."

Marie looked at him quizzically, her eyes glinting with unshed tears.

"Call me Logan, alright?"

"Logan…right. Thanks Logan."

He let his hand linger for a few more moments before very reluctantly removing it from Marie's shoulder. They sat together, listening to music and watching the scenery as if they were a couple on a first date. There was something very comfortable about sitting with her and that was a very rare feeling for him.

After a few minutes, Logan slowed down and made a left turn down a reasonably well groomed road.

"I thought we were going to the police station."

Logan smiled and shook his head.

"No, we're headed to my place. Hank's orders were to rest and get something to eat. I figured you wouldn't want to spend the day in those clothes. I can get them washed while you take it easy."

"You expect me to hang out in your boxers, Sheriff?"

He heard the chuckle in her voice and he couldn't help but match her elevated mood…despite the fact that the image of Marie wearing his boxers was a huge fucking turn on.

"I do have sweatpants and sweatshirts, darlin'. Unless you want to march around in your birthday suit."

Logan would have sworn he could actually hear her blush.

"I'll take you up on the sweatpants, thanks."

The road wasn't void of bumps but Marie didn't complain. She was too entranced with the view. Logan pulled up the last stretch of road and, as he made it around the bend, he heard her sharp intake of breath. His small cabin stood in the midst of a large expanse of trees, the lake in full view behind the wooden structure. It was a postcard ready shot. This location was exactly why he'd chosen to build here seven years ago. He never planned on leaving.

The SUV stopped and Logan stepped out and headed around to the passenger side to open the door for Marie. As he did, Logan saw a familiar shape make its way from behind the house.

"Oh my God."

Logan turned at the sound of her voice and saw that Marie had already exited the vehicle. She was standing stock still, staring at the large canine poised about ten feet away.

"Hey Jack."

Jack was Logan's closest friend. He was a wolf-shepherd mix that Hank had found four years ago while responding to a medical call on the outskirts of town. Hank had called Logan in to assess the situation and there Logan had met the small pup. He'd been immediately taken by the little creature and had brought it home that afternoon.

Jack never turned into a 'pet'. He didn't sleep inside…only when it was very cold and even then he preferred to stay in the main room…and he certainly saw Logan as more of a partner than a master. Jack was well behaved and trained but that was all due to Jack's own personality, not Logan's skill at animal training. Still, they trusted and relied on each other.

Marie took a step backward when Jack approached but Logan steadied her by placing his hand at the small of her back.

"It's okay, Marie. Jack just wants to say hi."

He knew why she was intimidated. Jack resembled a wolf more than a dog. His long legs and imposing snout would make anyone think twice about messing with him...not that anyone or anything ever did. But Jack was curious. No, he was more than curious. Logan could tell that Jack was intrigued. Logan had never seen him approach another person so willingly before. Normally, Jack hung back and watched. He didn't like to get himself involved with other people.

He approached Marie boldly, sniffing the air as he came closer. Jack was directly in front of Marie now and Logan felt that she'd relaxed, if only slightly. His large nose delicately brushed her hand. Jack sniffed again, then snaked out his tongue to taste her fingers. His head tilted upward and he chuffed softly. Then, Logan saw something he'd never seen Jack do in four years. He sat back on his haunches and his ears sloped down and out, away from his head in a 'wolf smile'. Then his furry tail began to move back and forth.

Jack had submitted to Marie.

Marie crouched down and held out her hands. Jack trotted forward the few steps to get to her and dipped his head into her hands so that she could scratch behind his ears. Logan heard a low growl emanate from Jack's chest.

Logan whispered to himself, completely in awe that Marie had the same effect on Jack as she did on him. She tamed an animal that had refused to be tamed for four years.

"I'll be goddamned."
Chapter End Notes:
Right down there? That little box? Yeah, you can go there.