Author's Chapter Notes:
Ramping up things here, everyone. It's a longer chapter but I had a lot I wanted to say. Hope you enjoy. Thank you for the reviews and the feedback. It makes me do happy dances when I see the new emails. XXOO
Logan hadn't slept well the previous night. He'd tried to sleep on the couch. But the knowledge that she was in his room…in his bed…and he wasn't near her drove him to distraction. He'd moved a chair into the bedroom and watched her sleep, dosing on and off himself throughout the night.

They were on the way into town, both of them quiet and reflective after all that had transpired over the last twenty four hours. Marie hadn't spoken much this morning and he was hesitant to push her. But, dammit if not hearing her voice was driving him crazy. He stole a glance at her in the passenger seat. The sun reflected off her hair in a way that made his heart stop at her beauty. There were women that tried to enhance their good looks with cosmetics and plastic surgery but Marie sat there without any makeup or adornments and she was, without a doubt, one of the most exquisitely beautiful women he'd ever seen.

He couldn't stand the silence any longer. "You feelin' okay?"

Marie continued to look out the window. Her voice was soft and thoughtful. "Yeah. Just thinking."

"Did you remember something else?" Logan tensed at the recollection of her previous memory. Just the thought that someone would hurt her made his vision cloud red.

"No. I didn't even dream last night." He could tell she was searching for what to say. "I'm just feeling a bit like I'm sitting in the back of a runaway car. No idea where I'm going and no way to control what happens next."

Logan reached over and took her hand in his. It was so delicate and soft.

"You're gonna get through this, Marie. I'm here for you."

She finally turned in his direction. The corners of her mouth rose up in a half smile. "I'm glad you are, Logan. I couldn't handle this alone."

Jack's head appeared between their seats. He was happily panting and chuffing as he watched the scenery go by. He turned his snout and licked Marie's face before turning to Logan and giving his best friend a sloppy kiss as well.

Marie and Logan were instantly transported out of their somber moods.

"Jack just wanted you to know that he's there for you as well."

"Oh, I knew that. The big guy hasn't left me out of his sight since we met."

Jack's not the only one.

"Yeah, he's a loyal one alright."

The silence descended again as they pulled into town and Logan steered the car toward the Whitefall Grill. Since he was pretty much down to crackers and cheese at his place, he needed to get Marie something to eat before they got started on the day.

"Ready for some breakfast?"

Logan shifted the SUV into park and looked over at Marie. She looked amazing but he could tell she was tired and stressed. Marie smiled wanly and nodded her head.

The three of them got out of the car and headed toward the door. The Grill had been in operation since the town was founded. It had changed hands several times and even survived an ill-fated 'haute cuisine' phase. Now, it was being run by two friends who'd come here from Los Angeles. Logan had been impressed at the quality of food as well as the ability of the young couple to adapt to the 'country life' as they called it.

Jack took up his place on the porch as Logan opened the door and was greeted both by the incredible aroma and the bright and cheerful voice of the owner. Being later in the morning, there were no other patrons inside during this slower time of the day.

"Hiya studly! How they hangin'?"

"Mornin' Jubilee."

Jubilation Lee was perky, cute and a damn good businesswoman. She and her boyfriend, Angelo Espinosa, came to Whitefall three years ago, looking for a change of scenery. Like many people who lived in the small town, Jubilee and Angelo had gone through serious things in their past and found that this town offered a kind of sanctuary. Jubilee was a girl with enough money to do whatever she pleased, but instead of living a the life of a spoiled rich girl, she'd bought the failing Grill and revitalized it. Angelo was a gifted chef and Jubilee knew how to handle the customers so well that some residents who'd set foot in the place only once in the entire time they'd lived in town were now regulars.

Jubilee strode over to Marie and smiled.

"So, Logan, who's the knock-out?"

Subtlety, however, was not Jubilee's strong suit.

"Marie, this is Jubilation Lee…but she goes by Jubilee. She's nosey, obnoxious and annoying."

The look on Marie's face told Logan she couldn't quite decide if he was serious or joking.

"She also happens to serve the best food in the continental United States."

"Damn right I do! Pleased to meet you, Marie. I am at your service." Jubilee held out her hand to Marie and the two women shook hands. Jubilee then stepped up to Marie and put her arm over Marie's shoulder as Jubilee guided her toward a table.

"He's right, you know. I am totally annoying but my food is to die for. But I think he keeps coming back because he's secretly in love with me."

She stopped at a table in the corner of the room and pulled out a chair for Marie.

"Isn't that right, big guy? You come here in the hopes I'll leave Angelo and run off with you to a tropical island."

"You got me, Jubes."

"Poor guy." Jubilee turned her attention back to Marie. "So what brings you to our little redneck haven, Marie?"

Logan saw Marie struggle with her words, not sure if she wanted to explain her situation to a complete stranger. Seeing her distress made his chest constrict with that feeling of protectiveness.

"Marie is in town for awhile. I'm helping her with a...personal matter."

Jubilee was a smart woman. Despite Logan's teasing comments, Jubilee was intensely loyal to her friends and went out of her way to help others. Whether it was meals for someone who was ill or helping out a family down on their luck, Jubilee was the first person to step up during hard times. So when Logan spoke for Marie and looked directly into Jubilee's eyes when he answered, she got it immediately.

Her million watt smile returned.

"Well, you couldn't be in better hands, chica. Logan's the best. You want your regular order?"

"Yeah, make it two."

"No probs. I'll bring some extra biscuits and get Jack his steak."

"Thanks, Jubilee." Logan was genuinely appreciative.

He watched her walk away and turned his attention back to Marie.

"Jubilee's good people."

Marie nodded.

"Yeah, I can tell. I'm sorry I wasn't more talkative. I just didn't quite know how to say that I'm in town because I was kidnapped."

The corner of Logan's mouth rose in a grin.

"Well, we have our town recluse, drunk and now, our very own amnesiac."

Marie laughed and Logan felt that lock on his emotions crack open. He still didn't know if she could be married, have children or some incredible life. But no matter what he told himself about keeping his distance, he'd been pulled in way too deep.

They sat in silence for a few moments while Jubilee brought them coffee, water and fresh orange juice.

After a drink of juice, Marie spoke. "So…since I can't tell you about me, what's your story, Sheriff?"

Logan could count on one hand the number of people who knew about his past. One of them was Hank; the others were individuals he hadn't seen in years and, quite frankly, would probably kill if he saw them again. The crimes he'd committed were his demons; the nightmares that kept him up at night. Those ghosts of his past were what compelled him to help others as atonement for his past sins. He didn't want Marie to look at him with judgment or disgust. He couldn't take it if she confirmed what he already felt about himself.

"Not much of a story. Parents died young. Went into the army. Now I'm here."

"I may not know who I am, but I sure as hell know there's more to you than that."

"There's really not much to say."

Marie held out her hands in mock surrender. "Fine, fine, I get it. I won't push it anymore."

He could tell she was trying to make light of the situation but her eyes radiated disappointment. The last thing he wanted to do was to make her feel as if he was trying to hold things back…but he was too afraid that telling Marie would drive her away.

"Look, Marie. I'm sorry. It's just that there's a lot in my past…."

His words were drowned out by the blare of the police radio.

"Sherrif? Come in, please."

He sighed as he picked up the device and held it up to his mouth.

"Yeah, Bobby, what's up?"

Bobby replied and Logan noted that his voice was unnaturally subdued. "Need to see you at the station, asap, boss."

Logan clicked the side button on his radio. "Be right there."

"Saved by the beep." Marie leaned back in her chair.

Logan pursed his lips and sat forward.

"Marie, I want to talk to you. I just don't know how to start…this."

Her eyes softened. "Doesn't matter how you start…just do it."

Their eyes locked and Logan took Marie by the hand. He wanted nothing more than to reach across the table and feel her lips on his. He could only imagine how amazing she would taste. Goddammit, if he didn't move now, he was going to be forced to sit at the table until he calmed the fuck down.

He reluctantly stood up, moved behind his chair and pushed it in towards the table.

"Food should be here any time. I won't be long. The Sheriff's Office is right across the street." He took a few steps toward the door and shouted back over his shoulder. "And make sure Jubilee doesn't short you on the pancakes!"

"Stuff it, copper!" Jubilee's voice rang out from the back room and Logan smiled to see Marie laughing again. He would have to help her do that more often.

Logan walked out the front door and Jack stood up immediately, expecting Marie to follow his partner out the door. The canine cocked his head to the side when the door shut and his Marie wasn't outside.

"Don't worry, buddy. She's eating breakfast. Stay here and watch her, okay?"

Jack barked and walked back to his steak which was sitting nicely on a large platter with some large potatoes.

"Enjoy your food." Logan muttered under his breath and Jack chuffed by way of an answer.

It would have been nice to eat breakfast with Marie but Bobby must have found something important if he needed Logan at the station immediately. Both Logan and Bobby had run searches for Marie but due to the fact that it was still too early for anyone to file a missing persons report, they'd come up empty. Early this morning, Logan had spoken with the young deputy. Bobby was working some angles with old friends to try and find out some more information on the driver of the camper. They'd found that Mark Reynolds was mostly a two-bit criminal dealing in small robberies, drug trafficking and random assault and batteries. Neither of them could find any reason that this guy would kidnap Marie.

As he walked, Logan clenched his hands open and closed, the idea of her being hurt and shoved in the back of that camper made him incensed. Logan had meant it when he'd told Marie that he wouldn't let anyone hurt her again. If this situation turned out to be bad for her, Logan was willing to put himself on the line to protect her by any means possible. There was a small voice inside him, almost animalistic, that virtually growled at the idea of Marie in danger.

By the time he reached the office, Logan had managed to get himself psyched up for whatever Bobby was going to reveal in the next few minutes. He hoped.

The security system chimed as Logan opened the door. He entered the small space and Bobby's blonde head poked up from behind the front desk computer. Normally, Bobby would let some smart ass comment rip and then laugh about his fantastic sense of humor. But this morning, Bobby was somber and serious. Logan didn't like that one fucking bit.

"What's up Bobby?"

Bobby motioned for Logan to come behind the desk. He turned from the computer and crossed his arms over his chest.

"So I put the word out on this Reynolds guy. At first nothing was coming back but just a little while ago I got word from one of my connections in the south. Seems that about a year ago, a woman from a prominent family went missing. They'd kept it quiet and dealt with it on their own but their efforts to find her came back with nothing. Our corpse down there apparently contacted the family two days ago and wanted to negotiate ransom."

"It doesn't make sense. If he kidnapped her, why was she wearing a name tag? Why was she not in worse condition?"

"Because Reynolds only kidnapped her two days ago. Marie's been in hiding for almost a year. She wanted to disappear."

Logan sat, waiting for Bobby to drop the other bombshell. Bobby turned back to his computer and pulled up a picture. It was Marie.

"Our Marie is Anna Marie D'Ancanto. The daughter of Owen D'Ancanto, the third wealthiest man in the south…and patriarch of one of the most powerful mob families in the southern US."

Logan stood speechless. The picture was taken from far away, obviously a surveillance photo. In it, Marie's hair was short and a lighter shade of brown. The date on the picture was from two years prior.

"From what my connection told me, she went missing about a year ago. The family had feelers out there trying to find her but they'd come up empty time and again. Apparently, Reynolds must have found her and decided that he would try and make some money. Honestly, Logan, if you hadn't popped him, he would have found himself fitted for some cement shoes as soon as D'Ancanto's goons got ahold of him."

"But…why…would she make herself vanish?"

Bobby shrugged. "Don't know, boss. But I did find this out. She was engaged. To this guy."

Bobby clicked the mouse and another picture flashed on the screen. Logan felt as if his entire world had been ripped in two. The photograph was of someone Logan hadn't seen in ten years. A man who was, at one time, Logan's closest ally and friend. Now, he was the phantom who haunted his dreams. Logan hadn't spoken his name in almost a decade and when the words came out of his mouth, they were whispered with a combination of dread and disbelief.

"Victor Creed."
Chapter End Notes:
There's that lonely little box right there!