Author's Chapter Notes:
Shorter chapter here. Thank you for all the love. XXOO
Logan stepped backward and leaned against the office wall. His thoughts were a jumbled mess.

"Marie's engaged? To Victor fucking Creed?"

Bobby shifted uncomfortably in his chair. Logan may snap, may even be an asshole on occasion, but he'd never shown such confusion and dismay before. Bobby scrambled to say something...anything.

"Yeah…here…I found an article in the Life and Style section of their local paper. It's an announcement but it's not a happy, fluffy one like you normally see. It's like they're announcing a business transaction."

Logan was trying to concentrate but the idea of Victor touching Marie, having a relationship with her and knowing that Victor was most likely the man from Marie's vision was making him want to punch a hole through the nearest wall. Bobby's explanation continued.

"Looks like Creed is D'Ancanto's second. They announced the engagement about a month before she disappeared."

Logan's head raced with questions. What happened to make her take off? Why did she feel there was no other option in her life? What would she do once she found out the truth?

Bobby's concerned voice snapped Logan out of his contemplation.

"Boss? You...okay?"

He stared at his young protégé.

"I'm about a million miles from okay."

"My spidey sense tells me you know Victor Creed."

Logan ran his hands through his thick hair. His heart was beating so fast, he had to take a long breath in order to calm himself down enough to speak. So much for putting his past behind him. He was going to have to start opening up to people he trusted or else Marie might pay the price for his silence.

"Yeah. A long time ago. We pretty much grew up together. When we were young and stupid we joined the army. Apparently, we did our jobs a little too well and they put us in special forces on the same team. Eventually...I left. I didn't have the stomach for what we were being asked to do. But Victor..." Logan looked Bobby in the eyes so the young man would understand how important his next words were.

"Victor thrived on killing. It was as if he was born to hunt and kill. Bobby, Victor Creed is one of the most sadistic sons of bitches on the planet and he's got the tenacity of a goddamn pit bull. If he wants Marie, there's nothing on earth that will stop him from getting her."

"Holy shit."

"My thoughts exactly."

They were silent a few moments, each man trying to process the information that they'd both received.

"So…what's the plan, Logan?"

Logan shifted gears. He felt like he'd been punched in the stomach but he had to focus if they were going to have a chance to help Marie at all.

"Well, we filed our report about Reynolds this morning. If he already contacted D'Ancanto and they have any dirty cops on their payroll, they'll know that she's probably here. I'd say we've got under 24 hours before they pay us a visit."

"You plan on putting up a fight?"

"I don't know. Look, print that picture out. I need to get back to Marie."

Logan went in to his office and unlocked the gun safe. He picked out his automatic rifle and grabbed a second for Bobby. He wasn't exactly thrilled at the idea of Robert Drake running around with a high powered weapon, but he didn't have many options. His priority was protecting Marie.

He went back to the front desk and handed Bobby the firearm. Bobby looked as if Logan had given him a brick of solid gold.

"You're giving me a rifle?"

Logan sighed.

"I'm giving you a rifle."

"You're giving me a rifle!"

"Bobby, if you shoot yourself or someone in this town who does not belong to the mob, I will put a bullet in your ass. Got it?"

Bobby tried to look chagrined but he couldn't fully quelch the smile that played across his face.

"Yep. Got it, Sheriff Rambo."

Logan rolled his eyes, grabbed the picture of Victor Creed and stuffed it into his jacket pocket as he headed toward the door.

"Why did I hire you, smartass?"

"My wit, good looks and brilliant mind."

"I think I was drunk."

Logan exited the office and Bobby's laughter stopped as the door closed behind him. Logan took a deep breath and headed back toward the Grill. He was tossing around the idea of showing Marie the picture right away but he honestly didn't want to ruin her day. She was already feeling out of control. The last thing he wanted to do was make her on edge with fear about an impending threat.

He made it to his vehicle and put the gun in the back. He still had his sidearm, but he wanted the rifle as back up. There was no reason to walk around town armed to the teeth…despite the fact that it would make him feel better. He might as well see if he had any breakfast left and then take Marie on the errands he'd planned on anyway.

Logan closed the back of his SUV and stepped to the side of his car. That's when he noticed the two motorcycles parked in front of the Grill. He looked around and didn't see anyone outside. Logan moved past the bikes and looked up at the Grill's door. Jack paced as he looked in the window; his hackles were raised and a low growl reverberated in his chest.

Fuck.

Logan unclasped the holster on his gun and opened the door, Jack took the opportunity to skirt through his legs and make a beeline for Marie. Normally, Logan would scold the dog for going inside, but today he was ready to make an exception.

Two men sat at a table opposite of Marie. They were laughing and Jubilee was using her very rare 'pissed off' tone of voice.

"I don't give a rat's fuzzy ass if you're going to buy everything on the menu, asshole, get out of my place."

One of the partners snorted as he spoke. "Sweetheart, we ain't goin' anywhere until we get some food. Then, the pretty gal can go for a ride with us. If you calm your cute ass down, you can be Frank's very own little Chinese firecracker."

When the door shut behind him…loudly…all eyes shot to Logan. Logan looked at Marie. The terrified look on her face made him switch from wary to enraged in a matter of seconds. His words came through clenched teeth.

"Problem Jubilee?"

The petite Asian crossed her arms across her chest and huffed. Jubilee did not back down from a fight.

"These douchebags need to go."

The men both moved their chairs back and smiled. "Seems this nice lady has taken offense to my friend's compliments of the pretty customer."

"Compliments?" Jubilee took a step forward and pointed her finger at the men. "Calling her a hot piece and asking if she'd like to gnaw on your sausage is a compliment? You're both pigs and I want you the fuck out of my restaurant. Now."

Logan's jaw throbbed from trying to restrain his anger. "You both should leave."

As soon as Logan had finished speaking, both of the strangers shot to their feet. Logan's instinct took over and he moved his hand over the butt of his gun, withdrawing it ever so slightly from the holster.

"Don't even think about trying something. I have no problem shooting one…or both…of you. Now do as the lady says and get the fuck out."

The larger of the two men tried to push the issue. "You won't get both of us, officer."

"No, but I'm a very good shot, pendejo."

Angelo's voice was quiet but powerful. He stood just inside the kitchen door, his shotgun pointed at the second of the two men.

The larger man put his hands up. "Fine. Goddamn rednecks. We're outta here." The man took the opportunity to take one more glance at Marie.

"You don't know what you're missin', sweet thing. I'd make you moan until your voice went hoarse."

Logan wanted to put his gun in the man's mouth and pull the trigger. He settled for taking one more step towards the two men and that seemed to give them the message that they needed to speed up their exit. Once outside, Logan went to the window, making sure they started their bikes and headed out of town. He would tell Bobby to take a run up the road later to make sure they hadn't decided to come back. Logan turned from the window and saw the expression on Marie's face. Her fear made his heart break. He crossed the room and took up a seat in the chair next to her. He took her face in his hands and she attempted a weak smile, tears spilling from the corners of her eyes.

"It's okay, Marie. I'm here."

She leaned forward and buried her face in his neck. The small moments he had experienced with Marie up to now had softened his guarded heart. Logan had opened himself to the possibility that he could love someone although the notion that he would give himself over to someone so completely was utterly terrifying. But the combination of knowing she'd been hurt at the hands of Victor Creed and seeing her in danger made any lingering doubts evaporate. The only thing that he could think when he saw Marie in danger was that no one would hurt what was his and live.

What was his.

Marie.

He took a deep breath and inhaled Marie's scent. It was fresh and clean and, in that moment, James Logan realized that he was fully and completely hers.
Chapter End Notes:
Would love your reviews!