Author's Chapter Notes:
SMUT ALERT! Yeah, I know, about time, right? This chapter is M, gang. Thank you for your reviews and support. Means the WORLD to me. XXOO
They sat for several moments with Marie resting in the warmth of Logan's arms before Jack decided that he wanted to be included. The dog moved his muzzle so that, like a small child, he had himself wedged in between Logan and Marie. Marie and Logan both laughed and gently moved back so they could give Jack the attention he obviously needed.

Logan put his hand over Marie's. "You okay?"

She shook her head and smiled. "Yeah, thanks to you and my rescue team."

"Told you Jubilee was good people."

"She's also kind of a bad ass."

Logan howled with laughter. "God, don't tell her that or she'll be even more obnoxious."

He paused for a moment and looked over at Jubilee. Logan winked and Jubilee returned it in kind.

"I've got some stuff to pick up at the store. Let's head out of here, okay?"

"But, you didn't eat breakfast."

Between the knowledge about Marie's identity, her relationship to Creed and the events of the last few minutes, Logan didn't even want to look at food.

"Yeah, I'm not real hungry right now, darlin'. I'll have Jubilee pack something up to go for me later. Let's get out of here."

He stood up and held out his hand and felt a surge of excitement when her small fingers found his palm. Marie joined him and he waved at Jubilee as they walked out the door, Jack trotting along right next to the two of them.

As they headed towards the store, Logan kept his arm around Marie's shoulder while Jack maintained his pace at her side. Both man and animal had an instinctual need to protect the woman that walked between them. Marie's anxiety after the encounter with the bikers had calmed significantly after Logan embraced her. He wanted desperately to get her back to his place so she could feel safe but he needed to pick up the items at the store before heading back. He wasn't about to leave her at his place alone if he could help it.

They approached the front door of the Whitefall Store (most businesses on main street used the town name in some fashion) and he felt Marie let out a relieved breath of air. She must have been masking her tenseness better than he'd thought. Logan opened the door, let Marie in, and stopped Jack's entrance with his boot. The dog looked up at him, those long ears shifting backward with his unspoken question.

"Jack, you know you have to wait outside."

The dog chuffed.

"I know you want to stick close to her but you have to stay here. Watch out for any bad guys, buddy."

Jack growled low and then sat down on his haunches. If he were human, he would have crossed his arms and thrown himself against the wall in frustration.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll get you a steak to soothe your bruised feelings."

He barked at Logan as the sheriff entered the store a few paces behind Marie. The bell chimed and Logan heard the familiar voice call from the back of the store.

"Be right there!"

Logan grabbed a small cart and motioned for Marie to follow. The store was a typical for a small town. It sold a little bit of everything including groceries, clothing items and basic, over the counter medications. Logan could usually find all he needed here but once a month he made the forty minute drive to the neighboring city to stock up on bulk items. Logan was placing milk in his cart when he heard the store owner's footsteps rounding the corner.

Scott Summers stopped short of running into Logan's cart with audible grunt.

"Oh, hey! Sorry about that, I was stocking some things in the back. How you doing, Sheriff?"

"I'm good, Scott." Logan gestured at Marie. "This is Marie. Marie, this is Scott Summers."

Scott moved forward and held out his hand, his thousand watt smile turning on as he approached. It made Logan want to punch him solidly in the face.

"Marie…a pleasure."

Marie smiled back and shook his hand. "Nice to meet you."

Mine.

Logan stamped down his inner voice as Scott and Marie separated. She took a few steps backward – positioning herself behind Logan and crossing her arms – a subtle action that made him want to pound his chest like a caveman. Logan turned and looked at Scott who was currently engaged in surveying Marie from head to toe. He couldn't really blame the guy; Marie was stunning. But after the morning they'd had, Logan was not in the fucking mood to have Summers coming on to Marie.

"Were you able to pick up that stuff I called about?"

Scott's smile lit up again. "Yeah, Jean was able to get everything for you. Between you and me, I think she went a bit overboard, but you know she can't resist shopping. I'll get it and bring it up front."

Jean Grey Summers was Scott's wife of five years. They'd come here shortly after they'd married when Scott's father was seriously ill and he needed someone to help run his store. She'd been a successful psychologist and Scott had been a teacher but both of them had decided to permanently relocate after his father passed away. Apparently, they'd grown tired of being in the city and wanted a slower pace of life. One couldn't get any slower than Whitefall. But Jean had begun to grow tired of the small town – especially since she and Scott failed to get pregnant - and she wanted more excitement. Apparently, pursuing Logan fit the bill.

She'd come in to the Sheriff's office and even made it out to Logan's place to make her intentions known. He'd been tempted enough to kiss her but his nagging inner voice told him that screwing around with another man's wife was bad for business. Logan wasn't going to be the guy responsible for breaking up a marriage. Scott didn't deserve that…neither did Jean.

Logan nodded. "Thanks, Scott."

"Sure thing. Just let me know when you're ready."

"Will do."

Scott walked away and Logan turned back to Marie. "You okay?"

She smiled and her eyes locked with his. Damn.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just looking forward to getting back…"

Logan could tell she'd almost said the word. Home. She wanted to go back home. But whether it was his home or the home she couldn't remember, he didn't want to ask. It was enough that she was looking to him to keep her safe.

"Me too, darlin'. Let's finish up and get out of here."

Marie and Logan continued down the aisles as if they were any other couple out grocery shopping. Logan picked up some items and told her to get whatever she wanted. Marie tried to stick with the healthy things but she couldn't resist picking up cookies and some candy. Sweet tooth noted.

They finished up and made it to the front counter where they were greeted once again by a smiling Scott. Logan was sure he was laying it on pretty thick for Marie's sake but, right now, all he wanted to do was pay and get Marie back to his place where she was safe. He still wasn't convinced that those bikers weren't on Creed's payroll and he didn't want Marie out in town if they – or anyone else – decided to come back.

Logan gave Scott cash and began picking up the bags.

"Thanks, Scott. I appreciate the help."

"Glad to do it."

The three of them exited the store and, as soon as Marie walked out of the door, Jack leapt to his feet and trotted to her side. He pushed his nose up and nuzzled her side, sniffing and chuffing again as he took in her scent.

Scott and Logan put the bags in the car while Marie and Jack got into their seats. Scott's voice was low as the two men stood at the back of the vehicle.

"She okay?"

Logan looked at the back of Marie's head as she sat in the front passenger seat. Jack was sitting directly behind her, standing guard.

"She's had a rough time of it and I have a feeling things are only going to get worse."

"Damn. Well, we got a room at the bed and breakfast if she needs it."

Logan bristled at the idea of Marie being away from him and in close proximity to a guy who was having marriage problems.

"Thanks. I'll keep that in mind."

Logan shook Scott's hand before walking around and getting in the driver's seat. He suddenly felt unbelievably tired. He glanced over at Marie. She still looked calm despite all the stress of the morning.

"Ready to get back?"

She shook her head and smiled, the corner of her mouth tilting up as if she knew something Logan didn't. He really wanted to find out what that could be.

Logan started the car and navigated out of the parking spot. They were quiet for a few moments before Marie broke the silence with her question.

"So, what's in the other bags?"

He'd hoped that he could surprise her when they got back to his cabin.

"Clothes."

Marie's face lit up.

"For me?"

He chuckled. "No, I had Jean go get me some new Levi's. Of course they're for you."

"Really? But how did you know my sizes?"

"I did your laundry yesterday, darlin'. Just checked the tags."

"Well played, sheriff."

"I do have a knack for observation."

Marie giggled softly.

The quiet descended again and they finished the ride to Logan's in companionable silence. Logan parked the SUV and they unloaded the groceries together. Logan could tell Marie was anxious to open the bags of clothing but she was trying to focus on helping put away the food. He smirked as he caught her glance again at the couch.

"Marie, go check out the clothes."

Her smile was so big, Logan was again taken aback at how beautiful she was when she allowed herself a moment of happiness. Marie dashed over to the couch and she excitedly opened the first of the three bags. She spent the next few moments pulling out each item and grinning her approval.

Logan watched as Jack hovered close to Marie, sniffing the new items and sneezing at the unfamiliar scents. Logan loved seeing her enjoy a few moments of normalcy. The picture of Victor Creed still sat in his jacket pocket. He knew that showing Marie that photo could shatter her world in an instant. Selfishly, Logan wanted to keep Marie to himself a while longer. But Creed wasn't going to wait and telling Marie who she was couldn't be put off any longer. She had to know everything.

Marie finished going through the bags and had folded everything and placed the clothes and shoes in neat piles. She looked the purchases over as if they were pure gold. Marie turned her head and caught Logan's gaze.

"Thank you."

He shrugged his shoulders.

"You're welcome, darlin'. I didn't want you to have to stay in those clothes. I know a girl's gotta have her wardrobe."

Marie stood and walked to where Logan leaned against the small kitchen island. She stopped directly in front of him and put her hand on his cheek. His heart began to race as he looked into her eyes and smelled her scent. He was dizzy with his desire for her. But he didn't want to take advantage of the situation. She was worth so much more to him than just a quick fuck.

Marie took another step forward. She was almost flush with his torso as she placed her hand on his chest. Her eyes were filled with longing and happiness. He was quickly losing his resolve. Logan took her wrist in his hand.

"Marie…I don't want you…."

"You could have fooled me." Her whispered words cut straight through him.

"Goddammit, Marie. I didn't do any of this to get you in bed. I did it because…."

Her hand snaked its way from his cheek to the back of his neck. "Because?"

Just say the fucking words.

"I care about you. A lot. From the first moment I laid eyes on you, I wanted to be with you." He pulled her against his chest. "You belong with me, Marie. No matter who you are or what happened in the past, you're mine."

Marie put her head on his chest. "I know. I feel the same way." She raised her head and he felt her lips caress his neck. "I need you Logan."

Stop it now before it's too late.

"Marie. We have to talk."

"Logan, has it escaped your attention that I really, really don't want to talk right now?"

"But…"

He felt her hands move to his waistline and she began to untuck his shirt. Marie's fingers began to unbutton his uniform and Logan's breath hitched as his jeans began to get uncomfortably tight.

"Logan, I may not know my past but I know that I'm not the kind of person who hops into bed with anyone." She trailed her fingers across his t-shirt. "We have a connection and I'm tired of watching you and not doing anything about it." She brought her lips to his and whispered the one word that broke him.

"Please."

His lips crashed into hers as he tasted and explored her mouth, reveling in the sweetness of her breath and the softness of her tongue. Logan put his hands on her waist and lifted her up, her legs wrapping around his hips. He walked them toward his bedroom, navigating the furniture while Marie continued her assault on his mouth at the same time her hands urgently pulled up his shirt.

Jack watched them and tried to follow as they entered the bedroom, but Logan kicked the door shut with his foot. Jack barked.

Never removing his mouth from hers, Logan set her down on the bed as Marie took off his outer uniform shirt. He broke the kiss briefly to pull his shirt over his head. Logan was rewarded with Marie's gasp of excitement at seeing his muscled chest. He wasn't one of those guys who went to a gym to stay in shape. Chopping wood, hiking, push-ups and pull ups kept him in top physical condition and, based on her reaction, it was apparently working well.

Marie sat up and ran her hands across his chest and Logan held his breath as her gentle fingers traced the contours of his pecs and arms. He did not know how long he could hold out. Logan took the bottom of her shirt and pulled it over her head. It was his turn to gasp. Marie was more petite than he'd imagined. Her breasts were perfectly in proportion to her toned body. She wasn't someone that worked out every day, but she was fit and healthy.

She shuddered as he ran his hand over her stomach. When he grazed his hand over her bra, her hips bucked up against his leg. Marie took his face in her hands and whispered the word against his lips again.

"Please."

Logan sat back and, as fast as he could manage, removed Marie's jeans while she pulled down her panties. Holy shit she was glorious. He couldn't resist licking her inner thigh and eliciting a moan as he gently nibbled his way up her torso. Marie grabbed at Logan's pants as his mouth and tongue continued to taste her skin. She pulled at his jeans and began to push the denim down his thighs.

He wanted to take this slowly but his need for her was overwhelming. Logan rolled to the side and kicked off his jeans. Marie grabbed his arms and pulled him on top of her. Her bra was the only item of clothing left between them. If he had a knife, he would have cut it off of her. But good thing it had a front clasp and he effortlessly opened it, allowing her breasts free for him to feel against his chest.

Marie widened her legs and the tip of his erection found her center. She was grinding herself into him as their tongues continued their dance. He pushed gently and found that she was so ready for him, he slid into her easily. Marie and Logan moaned simultaneously into each other's mouths as Logan began to move his hips slowly back and forth. It felt amazing. Powerful. Right.

Logan felt Marie's hands stroke up and down his sides, coming to rest on his backside. She was gripping him, helping drive Logan deeper with every thrust. His arms were on either side of her now and her head was buried in his chest. Her tongue found his nipple and Logan growled. Marie whimpered as Logan began to increase his pace. He was lost to her now. Lost in her scent and her taste and the sounds she was making for him. For him.

He drove into her faster as he felt the sensation of his climax begin. Marie was close and he continued his pace as she began to pant harder and thrust her hips into his.

"Logan!"

Her breathless cry threw him over the edge and he came so hard, he actually saw stars. Logan kept pounding into Marie for at least a minute after he'd come, feeling the sensation of her inner walls clamping down around him.

Finally, he stopped and lowered himself completely on top of her body, his face buried in the crook of her neck. The smell of her sweat and their sex was heady in the room. Marie wrapped her arms around him and brought her hand up to his hair, stroking his head gently.

"Stop it." Marie whispered softly.

Logan pushed himself up on his arm and looked down into her flushed and beautiful face.

"Stop what?"

"Stop feeling like you just took advantage of me."

He couldn't say a word.

"Logan, I wanted this just as much as you."

"But, I'm supposed to be protecting you, Marie."

"You are."

"No, I…"

"Logan, dammit, I want you. I want to be with you. I honestly don't give a shit if I remember who I am. I just don't want to leave you."

He looked into her eyes, now beginning to brim with tears.

"Yeah, it's stupid. It's been just over a day since we met. But something about you..Jack…this place…it feels right to me. And I want to stay here. With you."

Logan kissed her again. This time gently and almost reverently, reveling in the sensation of her lips against his. He brushed a stray tear away with a swipe of his thumb.

"You have no idea how much I want you to stay Marie. I would do anything."

He rolled onto his back and pulled Marie to his chest.

"Anything."

They stayed wrapped in each other's arms as they fell asleep, the sun streaming through the windows, illuminating their naked bodies.

It was the blissful calm before the storm.
Chapter End Notes:
Reviews? Sure, why not?