We walked back down and out to the courtyard, where all the children were prancing and playing. I kept my eye on her as I stepped over to the patio to take a seat.
Then she saw me.

Before I knew it, she was standing right in front of me, with a giant, gleaming smile on her face.
“Long time no see,” she said, and held out her arms. I stood up and wrapped mine around her, taking in her new, different, scent, and realizing I was touching her skin. As we pulled apart, she noticed my attention to it. “Yeah, I’m able to control it now.” She looked back in my eyes, and I could see she was very proud of that.
“Lookin’ good, kid.”
She chuckled, “I’m not a kid anymore, Logan. It’s been a good year since ya seen me.” Mm, I’ve missed that southern accent so much. I was afraid it would wear off. “Very true.” I took a long look at the boy she had been standing by, “Who’s the bub?” Of course I already knew, and I was pretty damn sure she knew that too. She glanced over at him, and back to me, “His name is Remy. Or Gambit.” I nodded, but he already seemed to rub me the wrong way. “What’s he do?”
“In a nutshell, he can move things with his mind. There’s a little more complexity to it, but I don’t like explaining it.” She shrugged like it was nothing.
“Still got nothin’ on me.”

Rogue snapped her head at me, “What was that?” Oh, I actually said those words aloud? Woops. “Do you consider him competition, Professor Logan?” She had a slight smirk on her face. I shook my head, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

It was late, and time for a beer. Everyone in the mansion was fast asleep, so I crept down to the kitchen. I raided the fridge, cupboards, everything. “There’s never any beer.”
“This is a school.”
I jumped, and turned to see IceBoy sitting at the counter. “Whoa, Déjà vu.” I laughed. IceDick nodded. “Well boy, how ya been?” He shrugged, looking down his cup. I remember when Bobby was her beau. They seemed to click from the start. I knew he knew of her feelings for me. I wondered if he knew of anything else about her, maybe even about this Remy dude.
“How’s the team?”
Right, keep it general. Don’t give away my cover. He swirled his cup and muttered, “Good.” I put my hands on the counter, and lowered my head to look at his face. “You cryin’ kid?” He shot up, “No! Jesus Christ man, I’m tired!” My eyes followed him, but I didn’t flinch, “Calm down, kid. I was just playin’.” He let out a breath, “Sorry. I’ve been on edge.”
“PMS-ing?” Shouldn’t have said that.
“First night back, and you think you can make smart ass remarks?”
Alright, now I was laughing.
Chapter End Notes:
I hated cutting it in the middle of a conversation/scene, but I didn't want it to get too long. Let me know how it's going!